Brian Rice (NHC)

August Landmesser

coatbridgejambo
10 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

:spoton:

Quite right. 

It's a mugs game as they say. Always wondered who "they" were right enough 

Some excellent posts and debates on this thread. 

I hope Brian Rice gets the help he needs for his illness. What he doesn't need is thrown to the wolves by the football authorities, who do very well out of gambling. 

Edited by blairdin

He's had a very sympathetic response from within football, despite telling his current employer that those problems were behind him. He may have been optimistically deceiving himself rather than intentionally lying.

Addictive behaviour can be difficult to control even when there is no physical substance  dependency. This the bit where some probably struggle to accept it termed as a disease.

Part of the sympathetic response has been based on the fact he came forward and brought it to the  fore. It's often the case that the tabloids have the information and the person involved can only take some control by pre-empting them. If he's come forward by his choice alone, he's more likely to be able to succeed in sorting himself out imo.

Good luck to him anyway.

9 hours ago, He Who Cannot Be Named said:

I'm sorry but gambling is a personal choice, not a disease.

I will have to assume your ignorance comes from lack of life experience. 

1 hour ago, Spellczech said:

Yeah but doctors pretend that they can diagnose depression and back pain - but they can't  - which is why the workshy all get sicknotes for depression, back pain, labyrinthitis etc...

Go to any doctor for pain of any sort and they will offer you drugs, may just be ibuprofen or paracetamol but the prescription offer is there, always, even if it is cheaper to go across the road and buy the ibuprofen at Tesco...

Thing is people trust doctors and people want to trust doctors. Therefore, if you want to abuse people it is the best profession to be in...As is proven by all the pervs who form a line at the disciplinary committee of the GMC who then let them off with a little slap on the wrist. Have to be flipping Dr Harold Shipman-esque to be seen for what you are...

:cornette:

18 hours ago, Mysterion said:

The fact that a Rice reported himself to the authorities is a very courageous move.

I suspect he will receive a nominal fine because of the way it’s been handled.

Did anything come from the alleged gambling issues that Leigh Griffiths has suffered from? Was surprised there was no SFA action given the volume of stories in the media.

11 hours ago, farin said:

Piece from Sky on it. 

Currently the issue is managed by 'crisis management' hoping it will go away or not tarnish the reputation of the game.

An amnesty could open it all up so would need to a comprehensive plan. Including support and then revised punishments once over. 

Of course also an amnesty could produced zero admitting. 

RustyRightPeg

He’ll be glad he spoke out. It’s the hardest thing to do, but the best thing to do.

I’ve faced a lot of challenges in life, with gambling being at the forefront of it. During the Cheltenham Festival last year I decided that was it and I’m stopping. Since the third day of the festival, I self excluded from all the gambling sites I was a member of online and I haven’t had a single horse, dog, football acca or anything of the sort on and I’ve never felt healthier. Easily the best decision I’ve ever made in my life. 

More needs to be said about Scottish football being heavily tattoo’d by betting companies, all 3 tournaments are sponsored by different companies ffs!! 

18 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

He’ll be glad he spoke out. It’s the hardest thing to do, but the best thing to do.

I’ve faced a lot of challenges in life, with gambling being at the forefront of it. During the Cheltenham Festival last year I decided that was it and I’m stopping. Since the third day of the festival, I self excluded from all the gambling sites I was a member of online and I haven’t had a single horse, dog, football acca or anything of the sort on and I’ve never felt healthier. Easily the best decision I’ve ever made in my life. 

More needs to be said about Scottish football being heavily tattoo’d by betting companies, all 3 tournaments are sponsored by different companies ffs!! 

Good on you, RRP. :thumbsup:

10 hours ago, VALDOS' said:

:cornette:

They can't. There is a checklist of indicators but mental illness cannot be diagnosed. If you know what to say you can fake it easily...

10 hours ago, Diego10 said:

What a load of pish

You're proving my point about the blind faith people have in the medical profession. I know a lot of doctors and some of them are the most reprehensible people I've ever met: serial philanderers, sexual perverts, I know one who drunkenly ran down a street over cars and smashing wing mirrors ( let off with a warning at disciplinary) and another who was struck off in the UK for faking his CV - he practices abroad.

What we learned at school today mummy.

Doctors are humans too.   Some of them have human character flaws.

Well done Timmy.   Have a Jaffa Cake.

Edited by Victorian

5 hours ago, Spellczech said:

You're proving my point about the blind faith people have in the medical profession. I know a lot of doctors and some of them are the most reprehensible people I've ever met: serial philanderers, sexual perverts, I know one who drunkenly ran down a street over cars and smashing wing mirrors ( let off with a warning at disciplinary) and another who was struck off in the UK for faking his CV - he practices abroad.

Great evidence for your fantasy nonsense here.  How many is 'a lot' btw?

On 20/01/2020 at 13:53, He Who Cannot Be Named said:

I'm sorry but gambling is a personal choice, not a disease.

an ignorant comment from no dought someone who has major issues himself fa##y

Fort Vallance

People make their own choices. Any addiction is obviously harmful but at the end of the day it's their own decision. Of course, where possible help, but there are hundreds of different addictions, some more harmful than others. Sometimes people just have to sort themselves out. If Rice wasn't in the game nobody would give a fk. 

SectionDJambo

Already announced that Ladbrokes won't be extending their sponsorship of the league. Wonder how the genius, Doncaster, will earn his salary and bonus by having to look further than the end of his nose for a replacement, assuming he isn't crass enough to settle for another gambling sponsor. Whether anyone likes it or not, it is not going to be very clever continuing to advertise gambling, where the temptation for corruption on the field comes from it.

There was a time when Snooker and F1 were reckoned to be completely dependent on tobacco advertising. They had to look elsewhere, and have a bit of "out the box" thinking, and are still thriving.  Time will tell if Scottish football is capable of such successful change.

Neil Lennon was casting his expert doubt on the harm caused by betting company football sponsorship.    

Nae possible confliction between his honest opinion and his club's commercial partners like.

9 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Lol. You could say that about any profession. Being a doctor doesn't automatically mean that you morally pure and an upstanding citizen. They are just like the rest of us.

4 hours ago, Diego10 said:

Great evidence for your fantasy nonsense here.  How many is 'a lot' btw?

Several more than some, a few less than very many.

Seymour M Hersh
2 hours ago, Victorian said:

Neil Lennon was casting his expert doubt on the harm caused by betting company football sponsorship.    

Nae possible confliction between his honest opinion and his club's commercial partners like.

Wife and I spotted the hypocrisy there instantly from a man who will throw the depression card out there at the drop of a hat. Of course the betting company's name on the sponsor board behind popcorn teeth was a bit obvious. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/01/2020 at 09:00, RustyRightPeg said:

Well done, keep at it, very hard thing to do and admit to. You should be proud of yourself. 👍👍

RustyRightPeg
1 hour ago, TheTrumpet said:

Well done, keep at it, very hard thing to do and admit to. You should be proud of yourself. 👍👍

Thanks mate. 

Not sure if there’s a thread for it already, but I do feel one should be made for folk wanting to speak out about their struggles  

11 hours ago, indianajones said:

Needed punished and is accepting of it. 

Hoepfully he is over it and its all in the past now. 

Sends out the right message.

Admit the issues. Ask for help. And accept a lenient punishment as no one should escape consequences.

Best of luck to him.

3 minutes ago, RudiHMFC said:

Prominent player, Aird has played for a string of wee diddy teams.

Shows need to read things more carefully.

I assumed it was a Scottish international. But report actually said "an international".

Cove Rangers decision to sack him maybe in a different light. 

3 hours ago, Fort Vallance said:

A number of players getting suspensions under the radar. Might explain why some our two week injuries lasted months.

No

You are looking at players missing 2-4 games. 

Sanctions are generally suspended. 

Fraser Aird was 2 match ban with another 8 suspended 

Fort Vallance
14 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

No

14 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

No

It wasn't a serious suggestion.