Old Firm English Leagues Email Leak

Mysterion

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/scottish-news/5189076/celtic-rangers-scottish-football-premier-league-england/

Some email info leaked suggested that Rangers/Celtic discusses leaving the SPL in 2011. Putting aside their ego the biggest statement IMO is that the OF know and accept they are stifling competition:

“Cities outside Glasgow would, for the first time in generations in some cases, have the chance of tasting success. The long-term financial model would be more sustainable.”

They would still play in Scotland and would hoover up even more of the fanbase, media and sponsorship. Best thing that could happen would be for them to be banned from all footballing activities until they have removed the sectarian 'element' from their respective supports. 

And that's a bigger pipe dream than them joining the EPL.

18 minutes ago, TheTrumpet said:

They would still play in Scotland and would hoover up even more of the fanbase, media and sponsorship. Best thing that could happen would be for them to be banned from all footballing activities until they have removed the sectarian 'element' from their respective supports. 

I totally agree.

They are losing younger fans at the moment who don’t want to be Glasgow glory hunting fan boys and instead watch the EPL and couldn’t care about Scottish football. (The Man City “fans” my boy hangs about me is mental). The longer that goes the more their desperation will be, they lose out on money and supports.

Sorry by the way, re yesterday.  I was just in a hibs hate mode and I took you as easy game which is out of order. 

Edited by Last Laff

Arrogant *******s. If you couldn't hate them anymore, they try and sell their arses to the English. It should never be allowed to happen. If it were, they should not be allowed to play in Scotland. They should be made to relocate.

The next time the words "moving to England" are uttered by any board member of either club, they should be sanctioned for bringing the game into disrepute. They are the absolute scum of the earth. 

The fact they thought a large travelling fan base would be a financial boost to some EPL clubs is just laughable. Travelling support is a tiny, tiny percentage of any clubs income in that league (and was in 2011). An extra few thousand supporters twice a season would hardly be attractive, especially when offset against higher policing costs.

As for carrying on playing in the Scottish Cup, it should be made very clear that if they go, they go 100%. They become an English club which happens to play in Scotland. At least they don't suggest that they'd still get to take Scottish Champions League places as some have in the past.

All that said, the whole idea is preposterous. There is no way clubs will be allowed to shop around to play in whichever league they like. There is no more logic to them playing in the English league than the Spanish or Italian league. You're not from that country, get over it.

1 hour ago, TheTrumpet said:

Boom! 

The Scottish league that's left would get the same media coverage as the championship gets now. 

The old firm can ram it, they want to play in England, go relocate there... you won't be missed... 

It should have been ten
1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Arrogant *******s. If you couldn't hate them anymore, they try and sell their arses to the English. It should never be allowed to happen. If it were, they should not be allowed to play in Scotland. They should be made to relocate.

The next time the words "moving to England" are uttered by any board member of either club, they should be sanctioned for bringing the game into disrepute. They are the absolute scum of the earth. 

This, in spades 👏🏼

2 hours ago, Last Laff said:

I totally agree.

They are losing younger fans at the moment who don’t want to be Glasgow glory hunting fan boys and instead watch the EPL and couldn’t care about Scottish football. (The Man City “fans” my boy hangs about me is mental). The longer that goes the more their desperation will be, they lose out on money and supports.

Sorry by the way, re yesterday.  I was just in a hibs hate mode and I took you as easy game which is out of order. 

Cheers, no worries.

I don't really see a solution to the old firm problem, either way everyone else gets the sh*&ey end of the stick. Probably the only thing that would work is an MLS style salary cap and draft system, that would be fun.

SomethingAboutObua
2 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

You're not from that country, get over it.

Tbf they still can’t accept they’re not Irish or Northern Irish either...

The English league move is dead in the water nowadays though, as a few others have said, there’s no chance the EPL would risk their brand with these two now. They’re desperately trying to scrub the league of anti-Semitic stuff in Spurs matches and homophobic stuff in Brighton games, and of course there seems to be a rising problem of racism at matches they need to kick out (all quite rightly so), as if they’ll invite celtic to chant about IRA bombings and Rangers to scream about the pope and famines 

Edited by SomethingAboutObua

2 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

There is no more logic to them playing in the English league than the Spanish or Italian league. You're not from that country, get over it.

The comparison you're making bears no resemblance to the OF potentially joining an English league. Do you think Swansea, Cardiff, etc playing in England is akin to them playing in Spanish or Italian leagues? Or Berwick playing in the Scottish league?

You seriously don't get the difference? Never noticed they share an island, a border, a language, parliament, Prime Minister, head of state, vote at the same parliamentary elections, submit a common Olympic team and so on just for starters?

It's nothing like them playing in a Spanish or Italian league.

I don't see it happening anytime soon but If it were to happen it will be down to the TV moguls who are putting billions into the English leagues demanding it. They own English football which would instantly implode without them.

annushorribilis III

The English Prem has already cut it's numbers from 22 to 20 clubs and was supposed to cut it further (18 ?) to aid the English national side. Chuck in the fact UEFA have said they will not allow this to happen - and it's hard to see the Prem altering it's structure to add teams when massive English clubs can't get in as it is via the Championship. It's just wishful thinking in the extreme. 

- I hope they go

- England doesn't want them at all

- Their fans wouldn't last 2 games without being fined (see Barnsley's recent fine)

- Scottish football, and Scotland in general, would benefit long term without them. Lets face it we can't get much worse.

- I really hope they go

- Their fans will soon abandon them when they aren't bullying the league, getting pumped off the big guns and aren't able to act like sub-human pieces of crap every week

- They will soon find out they enjoy being a big fish in a small pond and not a medium sized fish in the sea

- If they are to go they need to be told in no uncertain terms they are to never ever come back in any way, shape or form. No Colt teams, nothing at all that has their stench on it. And they will never ever be allowed back. 

I really hope they **** off

They been dropping their drawers and flashing their goods like a drunken trollop at the English for years.

The fact that the English aren't particularly interested is just another in a long list of embarrassments for that pair of *****.

6 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

The fact they thought a large travelling fan base would be a financial boost to some EPL clubs is just laughable. Travelling support is a tiny, tiny percentage of any clubs income in that league (and was in 2011). An extra few thousand supporters twice a season would hardly be attractive, especially when offset against higher policing costs.

As for carrying on playing in the Scottish Cup, it should be made very clear that if they go, they go 100%. They become an English club which happens to play in Scotland. At least they don't suggest that they'd still get to take Scottish Champions League places as some have in the past.

All that said, the whole idea is preposterous. There is no way clubs will be allowed to shop around to play in whichever league they like. There is no more logic to them playing in the English league than the Spanish or Italian league. You're not from that country, get over it.

Works for Cardiff and Swansea 

Fly the Saltire
4 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

The comparison you're making bears no resemblance to the OF potentially joining an English league. Do you think Swansea, Cardiff, etc playing in England is akin to them playing in Spanish or Italian leagues? Or Berwick playing in the Scottish league?

You seriously don't get the difference? Never noticed they share an island, a border, a language, parliament, Prime Minister, head of state, vote at the same parliamentary elections, submit a common Olympic team and so on just for starters?

It's nothing like them playing in a Spanish or Italian league.

I don't see it happening anytime soon but If it were to happen it will be down to the TV moguls who are putting billions into the English leagues demanding it. They own English football which would instantly implode without them.

In football terms and in other areas Scotland is very different from England. As Rugby is their main sport Wales was not strong enough to have a professional football league and that is why Cardiff and Swansea joined English league.  Anyway Eufa wouldn't allow Old Firm to join English league.   The Berwick example is exceptional and replicated by Derry playing in Roi or Monaco playing in French league

If they think they want to leave then I imagine it is nothing compared to how much I think everone else wants them to leave.

14 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Aw how cute. The two clubs meeting up and praying together. 

This hasn't been mentioned enough i8 (your first good post in months lad!).

Two clubs who actively monetise sectarian divide and hatred in public but lie in bed together at every opportunity. Be funny if it didn't effect our game and society so much.

14 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

This hasn't been mentioned enough i8 (your first good post in months lad!).

Two clubs who actively monetise sectarian divide and hatred in public but lie in bed together at every opportunity. Be funny if it didn't effect our game and society so much.

Not called the old firm for nothing you know. Been colluding together since the 1909 Scottish cup final. 

Here’s a radical idea, why don’t they work with the rest of Scottish football to improve the product, have a more even distribution of cash and help attract better tv and sponsorship deals.

I’d love the English FA to say yes come to England you can start in the 14th division and work your way up, they’d soon change their tune. They’re so up their own sectarian riddled arseholes that they think the FA and the EPL would completely restructure the entire English league set up to allow them in!

Edited by Rudy T

1 hour ago, Gashauskis9 said:

2011, a year before one of them went bust.  The arrogance of these ****ers is off the chart.

And only five years after they trashed Manchester. 

Wrexhax, Cardiff and Swansea play in English leagues, Berwick play in Scottish leagues. I'd have no problem with the Old Firm ****ing off down there and starting right at the bottom. But end of the day they are Scottish so should play in Scotland.

‘The executives said their travelling supporters would bring “a welcome revenue boost for many clubs”.’

I suppose local tradesman would feel

the economic benefits every Monday morning. The amount of windows needing replaced would be considerable.

The number of new nurses and surgeons would be a boost to the immediate economy (if not the public purse).

Best of all, the SPL would benefit massively ... when Man U, Liverpool, et al, apply to join.

7 hours ago, farin said:

We’ve already been through all this tbh & the English FA told them to bolt. They have no intention of sharing the SKY/Bt monies with them never mind the almost guaranteed crowd trouble their hordes would bring with them. Shame really as it would break the duopoly that exists here with them winning almost everything.. 

There is no duopoly anymore, it's a monopoly these days.

Ex member of the SaS

They would also want to leave a colt club here in case they couldn't hack it down there. easy move back if they allowed that to happen.

Ok Pro's can't really see any, other then an other would win the league and cups and without the " big " teams it would be devalued.

Cons. They would still be here and their fans would increase for games like Man u or Liverpool

The TV companies would run like snow of a dyke ( no not a strange female person ) 

The media would still be creaming over them.

They would want to leave a colt team that they would use as a feeder club.

They could have been in the EPL right now if they really wanted.  It would have taken them about 10 years to climb the English pyramid system.  Trouble is they just wanted to be shoehorned straight in at the top and not have to start at the bottom.  I don't think there would have been many objections from little non-league sides in the north of England getting a cash boost for accommodating those loathsome clubs.

Edited by Randy Marsh

It's never going to happen, we are stuck with them for ever and a day unfortunately, the only way the rest of us could ever compete with them {and this is in pipe dream land) would be if teams up here were to be adopted by the big guns down south and used as feeder clubs, eg Hearts linked up with Man City and having access to all Man City promising youngsters plus squad players who were not getting a regular game,  like I say, a pipe dream but, on our own, the best we can hope for is a couple of loans a season from the big boys down south. It really annoys me that our crowds in Edinburgh both Hearts and Hibs is max 17,000 each, total 34,000 which is less than Newcastle Utd even in bad times who can beat that with crowds around 40,000, you would think that a city the size of Edinburgh could attract much larger support, with a need for stadium enlargement, again a pipe dream, sigh!!! 

15 hours ago, Mysterion said:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/scottish-news/5189076/celtic-rangers-scottish-football-premier-league-england/

Some email info leaked suggested that Rangers/Celtic discusses leaving the SPL in 2011. Putting aside their ego the biggest statement IMO is that the OF know and accept they are stifling competition:

“Cities outside Glasgow would, for the first time in generations in some cases, have the chance of tasting success. The long-term financial model would be more sustainable.”

Just because a team or two teams have bigger budgets and win more does not mean they are "stifling" competition. It means they are better, unfortuantely in our case. There is nothing stopping competition from another team providing it has the requisite cash injected into it -- see us under Romanov until it went tits up.

GOOD RIDDANCE to the bigoted butt cheeks.  I have said on here before that the first season after they go that when other teams start winning leagues and cups the fans will return to their respective clubs, and of course it will be different winners the next season. Good for Scottish Football, the only winners will be the fans, but it must be a one way ticket, we dont want them back when they get found out.  I am quite sure that a fund to cover the legal stuff would be oversubscribed, and I am positive there would be no shortage of volunteer bus drivers to get them to the border.   The problem is that the Sassenach dont want their bile and bigotry either, so sadly we are stuck with them.  I remember back in the 80s (I think it was then) that every club in the top tier resigned from the league due to their influence and power, and they did back down a bit. Sadly the present set up was designed to keep them at the top at the expense of all the other clubs so the suits that are in charge can get their expense outing and feel important rubbing shoulders with the big wigs of europe and world football. Get rid of the GFA while we are at it.

They are too big for Scotland.

Our league would be truly competitive without them.

Problem is they are horrible and nobody would want them.

Francis Albert
4 hours ago, been here before said:

How is this news?

News to me. Not the issue of course but the leaked email and the specific rationale.

As far as the rationale is concerned, how many cities in Scotland have today not tasted success for generations,  while Rangers still await their first major title win ever?

The Real Maroonblood
10 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

News to me. Not the issue of course but the leaked email and the specific rationale.

As far as the rationale is concerned, how many cities in Scotland have today not tasted success for generations,  while Rangers still await their first major title win ever?

It’s still the same shite being regurgitated.

We are stuck with them they us.

It's nothing short of a disgrace though the total lack of a challenge to them.

We can greet all we want about bigotry unfair finances but our club particularly has been woeful delivering trophies to its supporters.

Always scoff at those who say on here that Hearts supporters have a sense of entitlement.

The other clubs need to get tough and tell them they are just two other teams like everyone else. Get them to sign a long term contract to the SPFL, and if they don't ... bye bye. Not our problem if they have no where to play.

been here before
2 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

This has been discussed for decades, loads of decades, a century perhaps. You honestly think theres never been any correspondence between them both about it?

It would be more surprising if there hadnt been communication between them about it.

Due to phenomenal money in the Euro game in 20 years or so, I think super leagues are inevitable.  Our 2 friends would probably qualify for the 2nd tier.

Only way I can see of getting rid of them.  Let's see how they adapt to competent, neutral referees and sectarianism compliance.

Sadly, I will be deid by then so I'm stuck with them.

This "leaked" after 8 and a bit years... Baws.

Proposal falls apart because Rangers fall into oblivion... Info leaks when Sevco get to near competitive with Celtic.  

It's just them flashing some skin again to the FA. Long enough for them to say publicly "it was years ago", while privately it resurrects the proposal. 

FA won't give a monkeys. Nobody wants the issues they would bring with them to English game. Rangers have played one competitive game in England this century and it was described as "the worst night of violence and destruction suffered by Manchester city centre since the Blitzand led to the City of Glasgow public apoligising to the City of Manchester. They'd be crazy to take them. 

Edited by Toggie88

WheatfieldWarrior
13 hours ago, Mr 3 Putt said:

Wrexhax, Cardiff and Swansea play in English leagues, Berwick play in Scottish leagues. I'd have no problem with the Old Firm ****ing off down there and starting right at the bottom. But end of the day they are Scottish so should play in Scotland.

I'd have no problem with a team form Barbados joining the Scottish leagues.

:sunny:

If the SFA had a set of balls between any of them, then these two ugly sisters would be facing charges of bringing the Scottish game into disrepute. The SFA only flex their muscles when a Lithuanian calls them out for exactly what they are.