Flybe

Tams bird

Government shouldn't be helping private firms. They did the right thing with Thomas Cook and should do the same here which is stay out It. 

Fitzroy Pointon

I thought I read Virgin were taking them over?  I take it that was just a rumour or fell through.  

30 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

I thought I read Virgin were taking them over?  I take it that was just a rumour or fell through.  

That was a while ago when they were also in financial trouble. Virgin were part of a consortium. 

Fitzroy Pointon
15 minutes ago, Tazio said:

That was a while ago when they were also in financial trouble. Virgin were part of a consortium. 

Ah I see.  I remember reading about a possible re-brand at the time.  

9 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Virgin were part of a consortium that took them over. They also  partnered up within them but they are still individual company and one that has questionable viability. 

Virgin partnered with them as they are a regional carrier, so the idea was they would fly everyone into Virgin hibs for rest of world. They were meant to invest a bit of cash in them to turn them around, however, that hadn’t really happened as I think they have realised its good money after bad.

I see absolutely no reason why the government should step in. Brexit and taxes will have probably caused issues considering their margins, but that ain’t government problem to solve. 

It’s unfortunate for those involved, however, the services will probably end up being taken up by other provider.

I imagine Loganair would be looking to take over a few routes, Glasgow to Southampton, Belfast etc.  

Remember back in the 90's there was loads of regional airlines, Loganair, Manx, Jersey European, British Midland, Air UK etc.  It's a wonder how any of them survived back then when you look at the trouble FlyBe are in now.  

1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

Government shouldn't be helping private firms. They did the right thing with Thomas Cook and should do the same here which is stay out It. 

Absolutely agree.

However, the government set a precedent when they bailed the banks out.

Too big to fail? It seems so!

20 minutes ago, Tynieman said:

Absolutely agree.

However, the government set a precedent when they bailed the banks out.

Too big to fail? It seems so!

Banks are a bit different as they are integral to the running of the country. People have pensions, saving and mortgages with banks and if the fell the country would be in ruins. 

A flight company...not so much

5 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Banks are a bit different as they are integral to the running of the country. People have pensions, saving and mortgages with banks and if the fell the country would be in ruins. 

Exactly, I don't understand why people can't understand this, simply put, banks fail people don't get paid, no wages to pay for anything, anarchy riots deaths, complete breakdown of civil order.

Flybe was were one of my daughter's partner started his flying career, he still has friends who work there.

Then perhaps banks should be nationalised when they put themselves into that position, instead of gifted billions or trillions in taxpayer funds.

I don't understand why people can't understand this

18 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Then perhaps banks should be nationalised when they put themselves into that position, instead of gifted billions or trillions in taxpayer funds.

Not gifted, granted the taxpayer might not get back what they put in, but it wasn't a gift.

Anyway, off topic, so I'll leave banks for another day on another thread.

33 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

They weren't gifted. The Government received shares in return and got more than their money back from Lloyds.

12 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

Awful airline. Shame for the workers, but I won't miss not knowing when or if a Flybe flight is going to leave.

This. That dreaded text message when you've just got the airport advising that your Flybe flight has been cancelled.

Usually first flight of the day as well. Plane gone tech or no crew. If the routes get picked up, then good riddance imo.

They've picked a good time to hit the skids.

New "Peoples" Government,  Stormont returning and they're the main link between Ni and GB.

Well played Flybe. 

On 13/01/2020 at 11:03, AlimOzturk said:

I agree regarding Flybe being different before i write what I’m about to.

The banks were heavily involved in why the financial crash happened. Shody and dodgy practices equating to billions and billions of pounds were discovered throughout the industry. 

Remember, banks have no problems kicking people out their homes, making them bankrupt and essentially making them destitute. What makes them any different?

We bailed out the banks through taxpayers money. Think about that for a second - money potentially coming from someone who has been kicked out of their home, bankrupt by Lloyd’s for example, being reinvested in the very same company due to its own failings.

I would also like to mention that, if I were to go out and nick a old lady’s purse, I quite rightly would be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, being disgraced in the process.

To my knowledge, not one person responsible for essentially stealing public’s money was ever prosecuted for squanding such a high amount (in the UK, Iceland being a different example).

You mention about people having their pensions, wages etc being paid into banks,  potentially suffering due to the banks going under.

Whilst I don’t disagree with you, what about the people who’s pensions were destroyed, or who no longer get a wage due to the behaviour of the banks, or to a more serious degree, committed suicide due to the results of their behaviour?

Ultimately, I agree that if we let the banks go down, we would have suffered more. However, if such a business is unable to survive in the private sector without public support, nationalisation should absolutely have occurred. Otherwise yes, “too big to fail” is an absolutely correct description of them.

I haven’t even stated how the banks have made millions (yes, millions) of poor sods redundant, chucking them on the scrap heap, potentially costing taxpayers money trying to support these people (whilst anyone receiving benefits has been demonised in the press).

So yes, Flybe should be left to liquidate imo but who decides which company’s is too important to fail? 

As I say, the lines are blurred regarding failing business now we bailed the banks out so who’s to say what company should get government support and who shouldn’t.

2 hours ago, Tynieman said:

I agree regarding Flybe being different before i write what I’m about to.

The banks were heavily involved in why the financial crash happened. Shody and dodgy practices equating to billions and billions of pounds were discovered throughout the industry. 

Remember, banks have no problems kicking people out their homes, making them bankrupt and essentially making them destitute. What makes them any different?

We bailed out the banks through taxpayers money. Think about that for a second - money potentially coming from someone who has been kicked out of their home, bankrupt by Lloyd’s for example, being reinvested in the very same company due to its own failings.

I would also like to mention that, if I were to go out and nick a old lady’s purse, I quite rightly would be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, being disgraced in the process.

To my knowledge, not one person responsible for essentially stealing public’s money was ever prosecuted for squanding such a high amount (in the UK, Iceland being a different example).

You mention about people having their pensions, wages etc being paid into banks,  potentially suffering due to the banks going under.

Whilst I don’t disagree with you, what about the people who’s pensions were destroyed, or who no longer get a wage due to the behaviour of the banks, or to a more serious degree, committed suicide due to the results of their behaviour?

Ultimately, I agree that if we let the banks go down, we would have suffered more. However, if such a business is unable to survive in the private sector without public support, nationalisation should absolutely have occurred. Otherwise yes, “too big to fail” is an absolutely correct description of them.

I haven’t even stated how the banks have made millions (yes, millions) of poor sods redundant, chucking them on the scrap heap, potentially costing taxpayers money trying to support these people (whilst anyone receiving benefits has been demonised in the press).

So yes, Flybe should be left to liquidate imo but who decides which company’s is too important to fail? 

As I say, the lines are blurred regarding failing business now we bailed the banks out so who’s to say what company should get government support and who shouldn’t.

Cant disagree with anything you said there mate. 

On 13/01/2020 at 23:41, Taffin said:

This. That dreaded text message when you've just got the airport advising that your Flybe flight has been cancelled.

Usually first flight of the day as well. Plane gone tech or no crew. If the routes get picked up, then good riddance imo.

Booked onto the Cardiff 07:20 next Wednesday.

Oh well.

2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Booked onto the Cardiff 07:20 next Wednesday.

Oh well.

Good luck. If it gets cancelled, follow the link they send and rebook onto the next available flight yourself rather than going to the desk.

I've done this before and you can be booked onto the next one whilst there is a big queue of people trying to speak to their staff and those at the back of that queue will tend to miss out 

Equally, the flight may run as scheduled. Fingers crossed for you 🤞👍

Edited by Taffin

Steve_Jersey_HMFC

Used to be very reliant on Flybe here in Jersey to get to Scotland/Ireland/pretty much anywhere other than London (which BA also service), until easyJet came along.

FlyMaybe, constant delays, technical issues, crew changes. The hours of my life I've lost in Southampton airport on connections between here and other places...

Government has set a precedent. BA are right to question it, the Govt are effectively subsidising a failing business and have set a precedent for the future

I can understand the UK government position because of the importance of regional flights but I think they are very wrong to bail out a private company with public finances. It is a huge mistake as someone has said, it sets a precedent and it interferes with competition across that industry. 

The Tories probably only bothered because it affects their mates flying back and forth from their offshore tax havens. 

52 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

The Tories probably only bothered because it affects their mates flying back and forth from their offshore tax havens. 

Saw pointed out that Richard Branson has made far more money at this point just being paid directly out of Westminster's coffers than any of his businesses ever have on their own. He chucked £2.2M at Flybe one year ago--now getting a £100M kickback?

:sadrobbo:

12 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Saw pointed out that Richard Branson has made far more money at this point just being paid directly out of Westminster's coffers than any of his businesses ever have on their own. He chucked £2.2M at Flybe one year ago--now getting a £100M kickback?

:sadrobbo:

He should be bailing them out. Wouldn't surprise me if he had an agreement to that effect with the Tories prior to his investment because I can't see why a smart cookie like Branson would invest knowing he'd have to bail them out. Why not what until they went into Admin, then buy them for a quid?

On 13/01/2020 at 11:01, Sooperstar said:

Awful airline. Shame for the workers, but I won't miss not knowing when or if a Flybe flight is going to leave.

Whatever airline takes them over will have the same issues as that's how small air carriers operate and keep their costs down.