Where Do You Get Your News?

Space Mackerel

Space Mackerel

So, where do you get it it from and why? Still with the MSM or internet nowadays? 

Personally I ditched the BBC but watch a lot of Sky, RT is good for serious geo-political stuff but follow a lot of “boots on the ground” journalists on Twitter.

The Internet

Twitter accounts with <50 followers and youtube videos where the titles are all capitals.

Exclusively. 

Space Mackerel
2 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Twitter accounts with <50 followers and youtube videos where the titles are all capitals.

Exclusively. 

:lol:

I quite like The Corbett Report on YouTube, he has about 330k last time I looked. 

been here before

Sunday Post.

Often enjoy a hard hitting and thoughtful Francis Gaye column.

The Doc Replies never minces his words on a variety of gritty subjects such as corns, urinary retention and white marks on fingernails.

Judy Murray tells it as it is.

The thought provoking letters page full of human interest tales of laughing at something the grand daughter said or how politicians used to be a lot better dressed than they are now.

Edited by been here before

Space Mackerel
50 minutes ago, been here before said:

Sunday Post.

The Doc Replies never minces his words on a variety of gritty subjects such as corns, urinary retention and white marks on fingernails.

The thought provoking letters page full of human interest tales of laughing at something the grand daughter said or how politicians used to be a lot better dressed than they are now.

The Broons and Oor Wullie sadly missed. I take it they’re still in it? 

The BBC for general news but if I want to dig a little deeper into a topic I'll search all the outlets to try and get a more balanced view. 

Space Mackerel
30 minutes ago, Homme said:

The BBC for general news but if I want to dig a little deeper into a topic I'll search all the outlets to try and get a more balanced view. 

Like what stuff after? I’m all up for some alternative sources.

Space Mackerel
24 minutes ago, jonesy said:

New year’s resolution to stop reading the news. Too much sensationalism and desperation nowadays. Listen to FOOC once a week and reckon this place will let me know if WW3 is imminent. 

That’s actually a good shout, read John Simpsons auto biography a long time ago. 👍

North Berwick Jambo

Definitely not from Sky, BBC, or the vast majority of the UK MSM, mostly from Twitter, RT etc nowadays.

Space Mackerel
21 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Not read it, but would like to. 

Most of what is reported as being ‘news’ is  actually entertainment, fluff, or opinion. 

The additional bonus of journalists using SocIal Media posts to pad out their stories was enough to make me give up. Good journalism exists, but it’s long form, and naturally biased and needs read critically.

Yeah I agree about 24 hours news, was it not Noam Chomsky said “never trust a news channel who relies on adverts to fund them”

And I watch Sky (but dont take a lot in) to be honest.

Been on this Earth long enough now to know that EVERY news outlet has their own agenda to push, no matter how subtle they might present it, the trick is to see beyond the facade and apply a large slice of common sense to whatever is being reported before me.

Space Mackerel
4 minutes ago, North Berwick Jambo said:

Definitely not from Sky, BBC, or the vast majority of the UK MSM, mostly from Twitter, RT etc nowadays.

RT’s geo political stuff is top notch, I like Max Keiser for the currency and economic stuff too. 

Space Mackerel
2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Been on this Earth long enough now to know that EVERY news outlet has their own agenda to push, no matter how subtle they might present it, the trick is to see beyond the facade and apply a large slice of common sense to whatever is being reported before me.

That’s very true, I’m the same. 
On a message board such as this, I’m curious to find out what makes people tick especially in this day and age. 

50 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

Like what stuff after? I’m all up for some alternative sources.

RT, Al Jazeera etc... Nothing obscure. 

Its good to hear the other side of a story, the truth is usually somewhere in between. 

Edited by Homme

34 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

That’s very true, I’m the same. 
On a message board such as this, I’m curious to find out what makes people tick especially in this day and age. 

Sadly a lot of people just believe whatever is on their news feed nowadays, methinks not a lot of common sense applied neither.

Francis Albert

Still "take" (as they used to say) the Guardian  (me) and Mail (wife) which pretty much covers the political spectrum (about equally badly). But read very little of either. 

Most news in the sense of the word comes from here. The Shed is where I am usually first alerted to what is happening.

Horatio Caine
15 hours ago, been here before said:

Sunday Post.

Do they still do a quiz?  Haven't bought the SP for more than 30 years but the quiz was always good for a laugh.

Being overseas, I don't get any UK papers but I couldn't tell you the last time I paid for a paper. Read the Herald/Scotsman...etc online and the BBC website mainly. CNN and AlJazeera as well. If I need my blood pressure raised, I'll have a quick glance at the Daily Mail.

2 hours ago, jamboy1982 said:

Jkb 

Was about to post the same.

Read things first here many times.

Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, CBC,CTV, Google News, Vancouver Sun,  what is not news is that I obviously have too much time on my hands.

Placid Casual

BBC/Sky for headlines, Twitter and The Guardian app.

I also subscribe to The Week magazine. It’s very informative and fairly balanced.

BBC online, the Guardian, JKB.

Others through Google when I want to learn more about the stories I pick up on the first three.

annushorribilis III

I have totally avoided the BBC/ITV for a long time now - C4news only especially since the last election and it's fact checking of Tory brexit propaganda makes it attractive. 

I no longer buy any UK print media - again , simply Tory/brexit propaganda.

I use Twitter a lot and follow a lot of Irish news outlets,  journos & bloggers. 

Space Mackerel

Actually Al Jazeera, forgot about that, catching a bit of that now. 

I think this is based in Bahrain from memory, maybe Qatar? 

Space Mackerel
3 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

At the risk of being a bit thick, RT as in Russia today?

Yup, it’s geo political stuff is pretty good. Quite sobering actually. 

The Mighty Thor
14 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

Yup, it’s geo political stuff is pretty good. Quite sobering actually. 

I'll need to have a look. I suppose there's no mileage in them taking the MSM line at all.

Space Mackerel
17 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I'll need to have a look. I suppose there's no mileage in them taking the MSM line at all.

The vast majority of journalists and commentators aren’t spies or Russian apologists, you’ll be fine. 😉

Edited by Space Mackerel

Haven't read or watched any news in over 5 years, i am a much happier person for it.

I have no clue whats going on in the big bad world. 

On 04/01/2020 at 20:14, jonesy said:

New year’s resolution to stop reading the news. Too much sensationalism and desperation nowadays. Listen to FOOC once a week and reckon this place will let me know if WW3 is imminent. 

But you'll miss quality articles like this:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-devon-51013458

"A man has denied wielding a seagull in a fight with a cafe customer"

:wtf: :lol: