Tynieman

I was prescribed this sleep medication a while ago to help me sleep.

It does do as promised, however I’m finding myself having blackouts (I can literally prepare a full meal during the night with no recollection of doing so, this includes going to the shop etc).

A few days back I experienced hallucinations. Admittedly I took two and tried to stay up for a while after taking them, it was as though I had taken acid.

I’be been on the medication for quite some time and I’m slightly worried I now need them.l which me bring addicated.

Does anyone have any expeience this medication? What  your experience of if?

Edited by Tynieman
Error

been here before

Brutal stuff. I had it years ago. Tiny wee does that knocked me out as promised but *** me it was awful the next morning, like the worst hangiver imagineable but without the fun.

Mouth tasted like shit too, like Id been eating metal.

Binned it very quickly 

Would be getting that to **** as quickly as possible mate. If you are finding yourself reliant upon it get yourself back to tbe docs before it becomes unmanageable.

Doctors should not be prescribing these unless in the most extreme circumstances IMO. They should get you into a sleep clinic figure out what the problem is. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

1 hour ago, Tynieman said:

It does do as promised, however I’m finding myself having blackouts (I can literally prepare a full meal during the night with no recollection of doing so, this includes going to the shop etc).

A few days back I experienced hallucinations. Admittedly I took two and tried to stay up for a while after taking them, it was as though I had taken acid.

I’be been on the medication for quite some time and I’m slightly worried I now need them.l which me bring addicated.

Never been on zopiclone, but was prescribed eszopiclone at one point and found it didn't work for me. Strange how different our brain chemistries can be from each other. That said, I had heard from others that hallucinations were a pretty common side effect.

It can be dependency-forming so if you feel that coming on, I'd get off it as the others have said, although I understand you do need to taper down your dosage, not quit "cold turkey".

z-hypnotics are problematic

get onto melatonin, far more natural, not habit forming, can be prescribed for longer and approved by NICE , though not currently in Scotland yer GP can prescribe it off licence.

been here before
52 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Would be getting that to **** as quickly as possible mate. If you are finding yourself reliant upon it get yourself back to tbe docs before it becomes unmanageable.

Doctors should not be prescribing these unless in the most extreme circumstances IMO. They should get you into a sleep clinic figure out what the problem is. 

I was referred to the one at the RIE and aIve never been anywhere less conducive to a good nights sleep. Im there because I cant sleep and its lights out at 10pm   😂

6 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

z-hypnotics are problematic

get onto melatonin, far more natural, not habit forming, can be prescribed for longer and approved by NICE , though not currently in Scotland yer GP can prescribe it off licence.

I got Melatonin years ago. Gave me pounding headaches. Binned that as well.

1 hour ago, been here before said:

I was referred to the one at the RIE and aIve never been anywhere less conducive to a good nights sleep. Im there because I cant sleep and its lights out at 10pm   😂

I got Melatonin years ago. Gave me pounding headaches. Binned that as well.

I had a problem with terror nightmares and sleep paralysis so the thought of going to sleep was troublesome. Stopped eating at a certain time at night and cut back on the alcohol consumption and that helped immensely 

Been hearing alot about CBD oil but have convinced myself that it is a placebo so I doubt I would get any use of the stuff. 

Hope you get to the root of it. Nothing worse than insomnia 

Edited by AlimOzturk

been here before
14 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

I had a problem with terror nightmares and sleep paralysis so the thought of going to sleep was troublesome. Stopped eating at a certain time at night and cut back on the alcohol consumption and that helped immensely 

Been hearing alot about CBD oil but have convinced myself that it is a placebo so I doubt I would get any use of the stuff. 

Hope you get to the root of it. Nothing worse than insomnia 

Cheers but Ive long since given up getting to the bottom of it. Sleep clinic no good- confirmed what I knew, not interested in meds. Hypnotherapy was offered but you have to believe in it 100% and while I 100% would like to sleep 'normally' I dont believe wholly in hypnotherapy.  My insomnia has got so bad at times Ive hallucinated, Ive found myself in places Ive no recollection of getting to such as the top of Arthurs Seat😂

Have had a few lengthy-ish periods off sick and my work were really supportive. I never hid it from my family and friends so they now know why Im a grumpy, torn faced cantankerous cxxt sometimes :rofl:

Cant sleep now I just get up. Wake up at 3 and cant get back to sleep just get up. I used to lie there for hours getting worked up but theres nothing you can do.

Umpteen drs and specialiats have asked 'are you depressed' as its the best they can come up with but (un)fortunately, no.

Ive just learned to live with it, what else can you do? Accept your sleeping is shit and get on with life.

2 minutes ago, been here before said:

Cheers but Ive long since given up getting to the bottom of it. Sleep clinic no good- confirmed what I knew, not interested in meds. Hypnotherapy was offered but you have to believe in it 100% and while I 100% would like to sleep 'normally' I dont believe wholly in hypnotherapy.  My insomnia has got so bad at times Ive hallucinated, Ive found myself in places Ive no recollection of getting to such as the top of Arthurs Seat😂

Have had a few lengthy-ish periods off sick and my work were really supportive. I never hid it from my family and friends so they now know why Im a grumpy, torn faced cantankerous cxxt sometimes :rofl:

Cant sleep now I just get up. Wake up at 3 and cant get back to sleep just get up. I used to lie there for hours getting worked up but theres nothing you can do.

Umpteen drs and specialiats have asked 'are you depressed' as its the best they can come up with but (un)fortunately, no.

Ive just learned to live with it, what else can you do? Accept your sleeping is shit and get on with life.

Would be a shame to give up like this. Half the problem for me was knowing I was going to suffer a nightmare and I convinced myself NOT sleeping was the answer. I bet in your own head your going to bed knowing you wont be able to sleep and that is exactly what is happening and thus a vicious circle develops. 

I wouldnt give up. There must be something or someone who can help. 

been here before
7 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Would be a shame to give up like this. Half the problem for me was knowing I was going to suffer a nightmare and I convinced myself NOT sleeping was the answer. I bet in your own head your going to bed knowing you wont be able to sleep and that is exactly what is happening and thus a vicious circle develops. 

I wouldnt give up. There must be something or someone who can help. 

Nah its cool man its went on for 20+ years. Long since used to it. 

5/6 interupted hours is a pretty good night. Nap here or there and get on with life.

👍

Edited by been here before

Been having bother sleeping for 7/8 years now. Can feel exhausted at tea time and by the time I get to lying in bed at 10pm I’m wide awake. Seeing every hour on the clock until the alarm goes off a regular occurrence.

Was prescribed Amitryptiline (sp) years back and have used on and off. Unpleasant side effects like dry mouth, constipation and waking up like you’ve been on the sauce heavy the night before so only use rarely now.

Been at the docs a few times but have given up as they seem desperate in suggesting stress/anxiety/depression and I don’t think for a minute I am.

Edited by Whatever

Terrible taste and I used to think that the sleep I got was really intense and woke up struggling.  They do knock you out but there are better things out there  

Governor Tarkin

I bought a couple of boxes of those OTC from a pharmacy in Hong Kong. 

Come in handy if I'm flying across time zones and jumping straight onto 12 hour shifts. 

Always a last resort, though.

Haven't copped one in a couple of years.

Thanks for the replies all.

I’m on a lot of medication at the moment, and I’m fine with most of them, but I’m really becoming dependent on Zoplicone.

I’ve read that Zoplicone was non-addictive unlike certain Benzodiazepines, however, having also taken diazepam in the past, I feel more dependant on this sleeping medication than I’ve done on anything else.

I tend to take more than just the one tablet and struggle badly without them.

I’ll take AO advice and get to the doctors to discuss.

Thanks again all

On 31/12/2019 at 12:42, Tynieman said:

Have taken it before when suffering from insomnia, but never more than a couple of times a week to avoid a dependency.

It is well known to induce a trippy type state - some people use it recreationally for this reason. Never attempted to stay awake on it myself as I only took it when I wanted to sleep.

Edited by Ray Gin

On 31/12/2019 at 13:07, been here before said:

Brutal stuff. I had it years ago. Tiny wee does that knocked me out as promised but *** me it was awful the next morning, like the worst hangiver imagineable but without the fun.

Mouth tasted like shit too, like Id been eating metal.

Binned it very quickly 

I didn't experience that, I always woke up feeling pretty normal after it. It does taste rank though. Never try and bite one in half. :boak:

I was prescribed it a few years ago when I was still having major issues with my spine. I was only given 7 of them and told it would be another month before I would be allowed anymore. 

At the end of the month, I had 5 left. I was told only to take half of 1 at a time and no more than 2 nights on a row. Luckily for me, I only needed to break the cycle of not sleeping and then I was fine.

I still remember the taste in my mouth the following morning, a very iron taste, likeninwas drinking blood all night.

I will always in future try to not use them.