Christophe Berra

Marvin

1 minute ago, kila said:

Stendel said that because Berra plays all the time he doesn't train all the time, presumably so his body can recover.

Is he another senior player who isn't in training every day with the others then or is he just doing other things? If he has a deal like Naismith and Whelan then the so called captain being a part timer is even worse.

What kind of deal does Naismith and Whelan have?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cisco1914

• Spoleto

• 1971fozzy

• Absolute Scenes

Top Posters In This Topic

Holyrood_Hearts
2 hours ago, Absolute Scenes said:

He was finished long ago and refused to hang the boots up. Very clear to see he has been the problem at the back. Byeeeee

Not being funny but he never refused to hang the boots up. What a lot of nonsense. He was sold down the river by CL persisting with him when clearly off form. 

1 minute ago, Cisco1914 said:

Naismith is at home 'keeping fit' most days and Whelan is only in a couple days a week too apparently.

1 hour ago, stirlingshirejambo said:

I thought Dikhamona was shocking positionally. Twice he’s chasing down a ball in the opposition half leaving us massively exposed at the back. Not the answer for me I’m afraid 

this can be fixed....i was furious that Halkett isn't even telling him - he should be rollocking him for those meanders!

other than that he was good today though.

5 minutes ago, Steve said:

this can be fixed....i was furious that Halkett isn't even telling him - he should be rollocking him for those meanders!

other than that he was good today though.

Think Dikamona is a good backup and probably the best we have to play alongside Halkett now but if we can bring in another centre half it would help in my opinion because I do not think he is the answer long term.  Berra done in my opinion.

3 hours ago, Barack said:

If Lindsay comes in...he's sitting down for the rest of the season I'm afraid.

Could be a useful option from the bench for last few mins., especially set pieces.

2 hours ago, Queensland Jambo said:

Thanks for great service over 2 spells.

It's time for him to move on given that age and injury have caught up with him, and we are embarking on a style of football that doesn't play to his strengths.

I don't get the vitriol for the guy, and wish him the best of luck.

Yeah neither do I get the seethe. 

He has a brilliant servant to the club but its obvious that he is finished. 

Wish him all the best for the future but that future is not with Hearts. 

6 minutes ago, Balernojambo said:

Think Dikamona is a good backup and probably the best we have to play alongside Halkett now but if we can bring in another centre half it would help in my opinion because I do not think he is the answer long term.  Berra done in my opinion.

Don't forget Soutar back after break.

Just now, steven_mck said:

Don't forget Soutar back after break.

I know but it is hard to see him being back without potentially being injured or limited because of the previous injuries.  He has had a lot of bad luck over the years.

2 hours ago, ToadKiller Dog said:

Maybe to close to the old coaching team .

Not shaking the managers hand was childish .

Lost what pace he had after the last injury and it has showed . 

Gave decent service over the years but now it's clear time to move on or retire .

Did he really not shake his hand?

was that at end of game?

58 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

That confidence came from having a back 4 who didnt look nervous and that was because Berra wasnt in it.

I think the guy bleeds maroon but the legs have gone.

Spot on. Plus we are trying to play out from the back more and Berra looks poor in possession yet still regularly has the ball to distribute. Not surprised we were using the bell better. 

Fort Vallance

I said on another thread. Berra got off the bench and spoke and shook hands with Damour when he going on. Maybe his best days are behind him but he's got class. 

Absolute Scenes
57 minutes ago, Holyrood_Hearts said:

Not being funny but he never refused to hang the boots up. What a lot of nonsense. He was sold down the river by CL persisting with him when clearly off form. 

Didn’t say he had

what I did say is he is finished and should have hung up the boots voluntarily.

2 hours ago, Clark Griswold said:

Berra could do with a rest, definitely. Good to have around the club though and could still play a part in some capacity.

It’s a big THIS for me , give him a rest, I don’t think we can have a better option to come of the bench, this lad has played through all  the niggles/injuries because of the situation ,NOT because he wants to be a hero every week , thank you Christophe,

some people on here have very very short memories 

10 hours ago, Noah Claypole said:

The point about Berra making good headers is not correct, it's been a tactic used by the opposition for months, just aim the ball at Berra is every teams pre match tactic, he'll either flap at it or get his head on it and more often or not you'll get the ball back further up the pitch because he doesn't direct his headers to anybody in particular. 

He's been a liability for close to a year and all the proof needed was the time we where top of the league and also when the arse dropped out the team, not a coincidence in my eyes.

Can't find a fault with this

30 minutes ago, maggieb said:

It’s a big THIS for me , give him a rest, I don’t think we can have a better option to come of the bench, this lad has played through all  the niggles/injuries because of the situation ,NOT because he wants to be a hero every week , thank you Christophe,

This.

This thread is an absolute embarrassment. Berra wasn’t playing today, have a thread praising or criticising ,the players who were on the park, today! Let’s give Berra a good rest over the new few weeks and see how he performs from there. Folk seem fixated about slagging off our elder statesmen. Rangers, Celtic and Aberdeen all have key players who are 30 years plus...

Christoph Berra has never recovered from his hamstring injury, but it's down to our previous manager that he has been continually played, you cant expect Berra himself to go to the manager and tell him what has been obvious to the rest of us for ages.

A Hearts man

Pre Injury the best CB in the country. He just isn't Mobile at all, and makes errors that he never did before. The body seems to have given up a bit. All these factors have killed his confidence and to a degree those around him.

Definitely not a starter and once Souttar and potentially another CB like Lindsay. Come in he falls further down the pecking order.

Moving forward he may eventually struggle to make the bench....all respect to him but this could be the beginning of the end a very good hearts academy graduate who captained our club, made us money did very well down south and came back to us because he had the club in his 💓.

But I think he could be sidelined more and more

52 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Christoph Berra has never recovered from his hamstring injury, but it's down to our previous manager that he has been continually played, you cant expect Berra himself to go to the manager and tell him what has been obvious to the rest of us for ages.

He didnt have a hamstring injury he had a total separation of his achilles tendon.   Having said that , he's at Hearts because he chose to be - it was no coup by Levein. 

I feel sorry for Berra but his time is up. 

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, Marvin said:

I have always liked the guy, but today you could see how much less nervy the defence was when he's not in the team. I think we should stick with the current back line because I thought we were fairly solid at the back today.

Definitely, he should retire gracefully at the end of the season or go and find a team at a lower level if he wants to keep playing. 

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, maggieb said:

He had a rest in the summer, it made no difference. We’ve just got rid of a manager who was way too sentimental, the new man won’t be no matter what’s said on here.

Hes never quite recovered from the knee injury against celtic.  A great captain and servant of the club but definitely time for change. A good professional and back up to have if he decides to stay on or move to keep playing first team football he will go with my best wishes. 

tartofmidlothian
5 hours ago, Morph said:

Here is a guy who genuinely deserves a huge thank you for his performances over the years. 

Its a shame it’s ending the way it is but the guy has given everything while at hearts.  Everyone’s career needs to come to an end at some point and we knew we were only getting him because he was over the hill and close to finishing his career. 

This is a good post. He's never shirked for us, even when things just haven't been going for him the past few months.

Applauded when he came out for his warm-up today, great to see.

19 minutes ago, tartofmidlothian said:

This is a good post. He's never shirked for us, even when things just haven't been going for him the past few months.

Applauded when he came out for his warm-up today, great to see.

He’s a Jambo through and through and would run through brick walls for us.  Yet he should retire to save us money and should have called it a day? Nah he’s been doing what he’s been asked of him and never hid ever. 

39 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He had a rest in the summer, it made no difference. We’ve just got rid of a manager who was way too sentimental, the new man won’t be no matter what’s said on here.

“Rest”     I’m sure you know , was meant for every jkb mentor on here, 👍👍👍👍👍.     👍

43 minutes ago, Bainy said:

Hes never quite recovered from the knee injury against celtic.  A great captain and servant of the club but definitely time for change. A good professional and back up to have if he decides to stay on or move to keep playing first team football he will go with my best wishes. 

It wasn’t a knee injury......his hamstring tore from hip.

bigsuperslim1874

Berra should have been rested LONG ago and was clearly rushed back from what was a very serious injury. Maybe the break now will help him find some kind of level where he can still offer us some service. From the bench as cover/last 5 mins need to put him on up front stuff he can deffo be useful.

Just as Damour was about to come on Berra made a point of going to him on touchline and gave him a hug plus a few words of encouragement. Thought that was classy of him. 

Edited by TheGoodLord

7 hours ago, campbell said:

As much alas we looked better today Diakmona isn’t the answer either, if souttar is still a month plus away then we need someone in, Lindsay on loan fits that nicely imo 

Dikamona was brilliant today to be fair

1 minute ago, TheGoodLord said:

Just as Damour was about to come on Berra made a point of going to him on touchline and gave him a hug plus a few words of encouragement. Thought that was classy of him. 

saw that too. 👍👍

38 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

He’s a Jambo through and through and would run through brick walls for us.  Yet he should retire to save us money and should have called it a day? Nah he’s been doing what he’s been asked of him and never hid ever. 

correct. He’s still got a role here in my opinion too

Guest ToqueJambo
5 hours ago, Noah Claypole said:

The point about Berra making good headers is not correct, it's been a tactic used by the opposition for months, just aim the ball at Berra is every teams pre match tactic, he'll either flap at it or get his head on it and more often or not you'll get the ball back further up the pitch because he doesn't direct his headers to anybody in particular. 

He's been a liability for close to a year and all the proof needed was the time we where top of the league and also when the arse dropped out the team, not a coincidence in my eyes.

Is that necessary? Berra's been a very good player for us in both spells. It should be obvious to everyone he's not been the same after his injury. His pride will be hurting big style. Time spent as back-up to get himself together and he could still have a part to play.

jambogirlglasgow
1 hour ago, NANOJAMBO said:

He didnt have a hamstring injury he had a total separation of his achilles tendon.   Having said that , he's at Hearts because he chose to be - it was no coup by Levein. 

I feel sorry for Berra but his time is up. 

His hamstring came completely away from the bone. Nothing to do with his achilles.

3 minutes ago, jambogirlglasgow said:

His hamstring came completely away from the bone. Nothing to do with his achilles.

Just going on what I was told. 

6 hours ago, Queensland Jambo said:

Thanks for great service over 2 spells.

It's time for him to move on given that age and injury have caught up with him, and we are embarking on a style of football that doesn't play to his strengths.

I don't get the vitriol for the guy, and wish him the best of luck.

This

15 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Is that necessary? Berra's been a very good player for us in both spells. It should be obvious to everyone he's not been the same after his injury. His pride will be hurting big style. Time spent as back-up to get himself together and he could still have a part to play.

You're probably right, to many words.

Berra is pish.

😃

kingantti1874

The OP is correct, but I’m not going to criticise berra, he was the best defender in the league until he ripped his hamstring of the ****ing bone making a last ditch block for hearts, he then rushed himself back too quickly for hearts .. show some respect lads..

5 hours ago, Cisco1914 said:

Too good a deal for both of them 

And crazy how they both ended up on the wages they get without having to commit themselves like the rest of the squad

I still like to think he'll have one last part to play before the season is out; but hopefully this is the end of us needing to play him from the start. 

Holyrood_Hearts
5 hours ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Didn’t say he had

what I did say is he is finished and should have hung up the boots voluntarily.

You did to be fair. 

He was never going to do that voluntarily clearly, if CL & to a lesser extent AM & DS had managed him better things wouldn’t have come to this but he’s been a liability all season 

luckyBatistuta

Everybody’s time is up at some point, sadly that time is now for Berra. Thanks for 100% commitment from the big man, but it’s time to move on and he will know this too.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

People forget that Berra was dropped earlier this season only for Halkett to get his long term injury about 20 minutes into that game.

But other than that completely agree.

6 hours ago, jambocub said:

Too good a deal for both of them 

And crazy how they both ended up on the wages they get without having to commit themselves like the rest of the squad

And you know this for a fact or are you going by what posters have said on here or wherever?