Sean Clare

tian447

HillmanHearts

There were a few worse than him yesterday.

Its a frustrating time to be a Hearts fan right now but Jeering a young Hearts player coming off is pretty low.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shaggy

• BackOfTheNet

• Diadora Van Basten

• Phil Dunphy

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Could have been anyone coming off. But.....

I sit reasonably close to the dugout. 

It was noticeable,  though the communication was good in every way,  Stendel was at Clare frequently on position. 

Could be very wrong,  but I suspect Sean struggles to concentrate on tactical discipline 

2 hours ago, Captain Canada said:

Players worse than Clare yesterday: 

Bobby, Berra, Bozanic, Walker, MacLean, Keena Meshino and arguably Whelan too. 

He didn't play well but the reaction to him going off was poor and will only damage his confidence further. 

I wouldn’t say “arguably” Whelan. Whelan’s first half was ok, and he seemed to buy into the press but his second half was so woeful he comes under the “worse than Clare” bar. I would add that Halkett played worse than Clare too and Smith was only on the same level.

I’m not saying Clare played well, but he didn’t play bad and the first 15 minutes he was pressing and tackling. Yesterday proved the chicken hearted label is purely a myth but people want to peddle it as they’re either blind or just have an opinion of Clare they’re too stubborn to change.

I want Clare to come good and I want him to do that at Hearts. But it’s getting to the point for him personally I’d want him to move on as he does not deserve the vitriol he gets from supposed “supporters”. Much the same as I felt about Djoum (and before anyone suggests it I’m not playing any card, I’m using two players who I personally feel are being made scapegoats and have had myths peddled about them and their actual good qualities ignored) If supporters appreciated Djoum for the quality player he is then he would’ve signed a contract extension in my opinion. But after the last couple of years I think he thought “**** it, I don’t have to deal with this ****” and left to get a final big pay day.

The fact he wasnt the worst shouldnt buy him any grace. Is it only if he is the worst that allows us to pass comment? He is constantly in the worst 2 or 3 performers every time he plays. I agree no player should be booed or jeered if they wear the jersey. Based purely on all things a player should be judged by, he doesnt come close to being a footballer so should be nowhere near our team. Good thing only is now at least Stendel can see this.

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

neither wonder. Bozanic was worse in terms of talent but at least he tried

Must’ve missed that. There wasn’t one player with pass marks yesterday. The booing of Clare when he was subbed is embarrassing. Anyone expecting players devoid of confidence to suddenly turn it on after 4 days of training under a new manager is expecting too much I reckon. 

With that said, confidence or not, theyre both Tom Kite and nowhere near good enough. 

If anyone concludes that the performance given by clare yesterday was a pass mark then, in my opinion, they must not be able to jusge a performancen. If you think that yesterday passes as 100% effort, commitment, desire, determination then you must have really really low standards.

2 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

He is constantly in the worst 2 or 3 performers every time he plays.

See, this is one of the myths I’m talking about being peddled. It’s a matter of opinion of course but for me this is simply not true. And before anyone suggests I’m accepting a low bar I don’t want to see MacLean or Bozanic in a Hearts shirt again. But I’m also not too stubborn, I once said I don’t to see Brandon in a Hearts shirt ever again but after the Livingston game he’s shown he can play well, and in a position not naturally his own. MacLean and Bozanic could turn me around too I suppose, but it’s very, very unlikely.

Just now, BackOfTheNet said:

See, this is one of the myths I’m talking about being peddled. It’s a matter of opinion of course but for me this is simply not true. And before anyone suggests I’m accepting a low bar I don’t want to see MacLean or Bozanic in a Hearts shirt again. But I’m also not too stubborn, I once said I don’t to see Brandon in a Hearts shirt ever again but after the Livingston game he’s shown he can play well, and in a position not naturally his own. MacLean and Bozanic could turn me around too I suppose, but it’s very, very unlikely.

Lets be honest  here Maclean was probably a choice a couple of years ago but his age is a negative factor on him now.

Just now, Harry Potter said:

Lets be honest  here Maclean was probably a choice a couple of years ago but his age is a negative factor on him now.

He’ll start on Wednesday. Ikpeazu is suspended and Stendel singled MacLean out as the only one adhering to his system. 🤷🏼‍♂️ The manager will know more about what he wants than anyone else of course, so maybe once the team start getting used to the system and clicking he’ll come good again. We’ll just have to wait and see.

36 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

He's not an MMA fighter ffs.

Tbf he's playing in Scotland so would be handy if he was. 

How can it be a myth if i see it with my own eyes every time he plays. Honest question, do you think what he produced yesterday and nearly every game this season passes as 100% effort, desire and determination?

Effurt, deeziuur, determinashunnnnn

:vrface:

I don't get these arguments. He wins the ball, tries to go forward, picks a pass, tries stuff that normally doesn't come off but at least he tries. I don't see a lack of effort with him, lack of quality at times. 

Edited by Mauricio Pinilla

Players should sprint back every time they give the ball away. Sprint out to block crosses, shots. Tackle like your like depends on it. Track runners like your in a sprint race with them. Just a few basic things that require no skill but sheer endeavour. Clare and most in our team cant even do this.

3 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Effurt, deeziuur, determinashunnnnn

:vrface:

I don't get these arguments. He wins the ball, tries to go forward, picks a pass, tries stuff that normally doesn't come off but at least he tries. I don't see a lack of effort with him, lack of quality at times. 🤣🤣 woeful attempt at a troll!!

9 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

How can it be a myth if i see it with my own eyes every time he plays. Honest question, do you think what he produced yesterday and nearly every game this season passes as 100% effort, desire and determination?

My point being there have been at least a handful of performances this season where he had been either the best player or in the top 2,3 or 4. Yet that gets ignored. It’s all about opinions of course, as believe it or not I too have eyes.

I would never condone booing individual players. I actually sympathise with Clare because I'm sure he feels under a lot of pressure.

But the sad truth is he'll never make it at this level. I think most people realise this. He shows the odd bit of skill now and then - but so do plenty of amateur players. You need a lot more to make it at this level.

1 minute ago, BackOfTheNet said:

My point being there have been at least a handful of performances this season where he had been either the best player or in the top 2,3 or 4. Yet that gets ignored. It’s all about opinions of course, as believe it or not I too have eyes.

Again, woeful attempt at trolling! Best 2 or 3 players you say. Which games were those?

47 minutes ago, TheGoodLord said:

Strictly judged on yesterday alone not sure he deserved to be subbed before McLean, Walker, Whelan or Bozanic. Especially McLean who put in as bad a 90mins as I can remember. 

The booing his departure was very sad to hear. 

43 minutes ago, leith_dude said:

He was far from our worst performer yesterday and did not deserve the jeering from our "supporters" as he went off. 

Tynecastle is an awful place to go at the moment but those who jeer our own are only making it worse.

32 minutes ago, HillmanHearts said:

There were a few worse than him yesterday.

Its a frustrating time to be a Hearts fan right now but Jeering a young Hearts player coming off is pretty low.

The confidence within this group of players is utterly shot - and the opposition know we are at the end of our tether and can exploit our tendency to vent our frustrations if they dig in for the first 15 minutes or so of a match. That's fine, it happens at a lot of grounds. But when it's aimed at a player who suffers massively from confidence issues, you might as well be on the pitch trying to injure them - because you are basically doing that. 

And no, I don't want to hear chat of "they are well paid, they should be professional and above it" because they are human beings and at least half of sport is about confidence and focus. And the abuse that is meted out goes far beyond a sober assessment of their sporting performance on the day. 

When we backed the players and used to defiantly crack out the hearts song after the opposition had the cheek to score, we absolutely spurred the players on and helped back them to perform and turn games around. I know we have little to cheer, for god's sake it's been woeful but I miss those days of US v them and the absolute defiance we would show, collectively. 

27 minutes ago, Hot since 86 said:

Fair play anyone that still has patience with this boy, you’re clearly a much better Hearts fan than I am 🙄

Dinnae play the woe is me card, it's pathetic. Booing low in confidence players will never improve them. 

3 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

Players should sprint back every time they give the ball away. Sprint out to block crosses, shots. Tackle like your like depends on it. Track runners like your in a sprint race with them. Just a few basic things that require no skill but sheer endeavour. Clare and most in our team cant even do this.

“If I have to make a tackle then I’ve already made a mistake” Paulo Maldini. That quote from one of the best defenders of all time means that defending is not only about tackling but positioning and stealing the ball. Clare doesn’t dive into tackles often (he actually does sometimes but maybe you’ve missed it) but he does get stuck in and win the ball back. In fact he did so yesterday (but perhaps you’ve missed it).

1 minute ago, Gizmo said:

The confidence within this group of players is utterly shot - and the opposition know we are at the end of our tether and can exploit our tendency to vent our frustrations if they dig in for the first 15 minutes or so of a match. That's fine, it happens at a lot of grounds. But when it's aimed at a player who suffers massively from confidence issues, you might as well be on the pitch trying to injure them - because you are basically doing that. 

And no, I don't want to hear chat of "they are well paid, they should be professional and above it" because they are human beings and at least half of sport is about confidence and focus. And the abuse that is meted out goes far beyond a sober assessment of their sporting performance on the day. 

When we backed the players and used to defiantly crack out the hearts song after the opposition had the cheek to score, we absolutely spurred the players on and helped back them to perform and turn games around. I know we have little to cheer, for god's sake it's been woeful but I miss those days of US v them and the absolute defiance we would show, collectively. 

Dinnae play the woe is me card, it's pathetic. Booing low in confidence players will never improve them. 

I didn’t boo him. I’m just saying that acting like players are beyond criticism is bizarre. Somebody needs to hold these charlatans to account because nobody at the club has been. Hopefully Stendel makes it clear that Sean Clare needs to do much better.

Just now, Hot since 86 said:

I didn’t boo him. I’m just saying that acting like players are beyond criticism is bizarre. Somebody needs to hold these charlatans to account because nobody at the club has been. Hopefully Stendel makes it clear that Sean Clare needs to do much better.

In that case you didn't need to play the "better supporter than me" mate, measured criticism is surely absolutely fine. 👌

I also believe ALL the players could do better, which is why we need to give Stendel some time - which includes an amnesty towards the squad, even if it grates given how awful things have been. We have to, because Stendel has to work with these players and try to bolster their belief, at least until the transfer window...

Cheering his substitution was a pretty brutal moment; he's obviously lacking in confidence already. Completely counterproductive. Having said that I don't really agree that he was any better than any of the other shocking midfield performances yesterday. 

6 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

Again, woeful attempt at trolling! Best 2 or 3 players you say. Which games were those?

Yesterday’s game for starters. Hamilton at Home he was Man of the Match for me. Livingston he was too 2nd or 3rd behind Brandon. Nowhere near the worst in most games this season. In fact you may have noticed most of our games the whole team has been terrible with not one of the 11 players get pass marks - my point is that rarely has Clare been the worst two or three players during those bad performances. People for some reason don’t have a go at Walker or Whelan or others when they’ve played worse.

Pleasing to read many posts I agree with here. Clare was far from the worst yesterday, especially first half. "Fans" cheering his substitution are sucking the life out of the club. Shameful behaviour.

MarkDevriesScores4

Nothing personal but Clare is nowhere near a player capable of wearing a hearts strip. He’s lazy and offers nothing. I’ve never seen him break sweat. He needs binned next month along with most of the squad. Could easily name 10 players that I’d happily seen leave.

Had a better first half and should of at least got a shot on target with his attempted volley.

The difference though under Stendel was he actually was showing for passes something the rest of the team weren’t.

Booing and applauding him going off was idiotic, same with the booing at the end. The fact Stendel had to ask the fans to give the team more time after his first game is embarrassing. It’s not easy right not but we really need to get behind the team.

20 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

“If I have to make a tackle then I’ve already made a mistake” Paulo Maldini. That quote from one of the best defenders of all time means that defending is not only about tackling but positioning and stealing the ball. Clare doesn’t dive into tackles often (he actually does sometimes but maybe you’ve missed it) but he does get stuck in and win the ball back. In fact he did so yesterday (but perhaps you’ve missed it).

Ok i take it back, Im wrong. Agree with everything you say Champ.

4 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

Ok i take it back, Im wrong. Agree with everything you say Champ.

Nice of you to be big enough to admit it. Kudos. 👍

14 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I've heard some shite things at Tynecastle over the years but cheering off Clare has to be up there. 

Great stuff guys 👍

Understandably, he has become the lightning rod for the mess we are in.

He is as close to Craig Levein playing as you can get (metaphorically).

We are at this point now. If he’s boo’d, then he’s boo’d.

Enough is enough of this utter mince. The fans can take no more.

I pride myself on being reasonable and rational. But, if you fail to recognise the line of acceptability, ie., become a supporter to a fault, then you get the team you deserve.

Not dissimilar to the quote, ‘You get the government you deserve’.

If he can’t cope with being boo’d, then don’t take the wages!

Geoff Kilpatrick

He is basically Brian Hamilton, one pisstake the vermin got away with.

Cheering him off was pathetic and he wasn't the worst but it was a standard Clare performance rather than below par. He's just poor.

16 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

Not for me. Too lightweight, never reads a ball into someone else he can play off.

How often does he get efforts on goal or plays a telling pass?  I. Just think he’s part of the problem of where we are. 

👍

Werner Herzog
16 hours ago, tian447 said:

I thought he was one of our better outlets this afternoon, willing to take a touch and more importantly drive forwards. Yes, a few misplaced passes were there, but I thought he was doing well.  He was making good runs down the sides and the through ball option was constantly ignored in favour of a mindless pump forward, when in fact he was much better placed to do something with it.

Yes, his goal attempt was comical, but that's to be expected from a player who gets shouted at every single second of a match from the crowd.

Booing him and applauding his substitution was an absolutely rotten thing to do, and we as a support should be much better than that.  How are our players supposed to perform when everyone is on their backs?  No wonder there is no creative play or effort in the team, because if it doesn't come off, you get that kind of response. 

The football is shite, but we need to be far more supportive than we are. 

Agreed. I've been one of Clare's biggest critics, largely because he has a tendency to hide in games, but yesterday he looked for the ball & got stuck in. Not everything came off for him but he was definitely one of the better performers & did not deserve that reaction whatsoever.

Bozanic & Whelan, on the other hand, were an absolute car crash. They have to be punted ASAP. Whelan was obviously a good player in his day, but he doesn't have the legs for a relegation battle (and make no mistake, we're in one right now).

Edited by Werner Herzog

RustyRightPeg

I completely agree with the opening post.

Another thing I noticed yesterday, after he was taken off it would've been easy for him to go straight down the tunnel at FT based on the constant stick he received from our support. He was one of the last players from our team on the pitch, applauding the support. 

3 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Can you list these games please.

Because I've seen one decent performance from  Clare.

I've never felt he was our best player and cant say I've ever had him top 4.

In fact yesterday first 20 was some of his best stuff alarmingly.

3 minutes ago, jake said:

Livingston at home in the cup last year. He actually had a run of three or four games where I thought he had cracked it and could become a good player for us.

Been worse than useless since unfortunately (back heel in cup final aside)

1 hour ago, jake said:

Already answered that in the thread. My point isn’t that he’s been a star performer (he hasn’t) my point is one or two games aside he’s been involved in games where he is by far not the worst in most games this season. The games this season have been terrible so saying he’s been too 4 performances of the game on a particular day is still not a great indictment of him or the team. I’m just saying he gets unfairly singled out when there’s usually far worse performances on the day that don’t get as much of a mention (Walker more often than not gets a free pass for example).

VagabondJambo
7 hours ago, Gizmo said:

7 hours ago, Gizmo said:

I also believe I also believe ALL the players could do better, which is why we need to give Stendel some time - which includes an amnesty towards the squad, even if it grates given how awful things have been. We have to, because Stendel has to work with these players and try to bolster their belief, at least until the transfer window.

Your posts earlier today made some excellent points that relate to the whole current situation, and not just to Sean Clare.

Amongst our “fans”, there is great ignorance about human performance, behaviour, and motivation.  Your points were well made!

What a great chance we had yesterday to show our new manager how we unite to support our team!  We (the support) blew it!  We are in-fighting ourselves and our recent past, instead of turning a new leaf and uniting as US vs Them (as you rightly point out).

What has happened to the days when we cheered each name as the team was announced?

I fear we (the support) could cause Daniel to re-think his decision.  He’s a catch, and there would be takers, for whom compensation would not be a problem.

I’m so hoping that our team and our new manager see proper, united, boo-less, jeer-less, raucous support on Wednesday night!  What a great opportunity too, with it being on TV, to show the strength of our support to the mockers and upcoming opponents!

(Of course, we can still show disappointment or frustration at mistakes or missed chances . . . but without the vitriol.)

6 hours ago, jake said:

In all the many games he's played, he's never once got a man-of-the-match award. For a so called attacking / creative player, that takes some amount of playing crap.

Hiding in plain site.

If I was a player contemplating a move to Hearts I would look at our "support" and say "No thanks!"

If I was Stendel I would think "What a shite support".

He has been an absolute disgrace to the Jersey in his time at the club, but he was just poor yesterday which is a massive improvement, and the best he's played all season. 

Probably our best player yesterday actually. Oh my god we are cringeably bad right now.

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

We were clear at the top of the league when he was brought in. We’re now bottom. He’s played pretty much every game he’s been available for.

Along with McLean and Berra, Clare is a common denominator in our rush towards relegation.

Whether he’s trying or not is pretty much besides the point. He’s not cut out for this level of football. Seems a nice guy and wish him well, but I’d prefer never to see him in maroon ever again. 

I can’t believe we are still talking about this guy. Let’s face facts Levein played him pretty much every week to save his embarrassment that he was conned into signing this waste of space!

He got hooked yesterday by Stendel so hopefully he’s been found out.

What I will say is he was one of the few players asking for the ball and looking to get forward. Thought it was a strange substitution but not quite as strange as the cheering at it. 

kingantti1874
1 hour ago, HMFC86 said:

What I will say is he was one of the few players asking for the ball and looking to get forward. Thought it was a strange substitution but not quite as strange as the cheering at it. 

I think your confused. He spent his time running away from the ball, this is why he got hooked.