Wild, UK Parrots/Parakeets

AlimOzturk

Thriving in parts of London and other parts of England. Nobody really knows for certain how they got introduced but the most likely explanation is that people who bought them as pets released  them and they have just gradually grew from there. 

Read today that there are at least 32 thousand of them in the UK. Never seen a wild one in Scotland yet maybe wont be long before they make it here. 

Posh pigeons. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

I dont know what the ecological impact will be of these birds thriving in the UK. Look what the grey squirrel did to the red squirrel. However, they are fairly timid and are prey to many different types of Birds. 

Suppose wild birds have enough to contend with without more competition for food. 

I find it quite cool though that they are able to adapt so well to a totally different climate than they are used to. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

Shanks said no

Jimi Hendrix is responsible for all the parakeets in Britain

the late rock icon released the first pair of parakeets, called Adam and Eve, as a symbol of peace while stoned in London’s Carnaby Street in 1968.

A rival theory claimed that George Michael was to blame, after burglars broke into the late singer’s Hampstead home in the 1990s and raided his secret aviary. According to the tall tale, the singer was apparently wary of police involvement and failed to report the crime.

The government wants to send them back to South America unless they can prove how they got here and had a right to be here.

"I've never been to Brazil... I don't know anyone there and will have nowhere to stay... pieces of eight".     Said a parrot,   who did not want to give a name.

Edited by Victorian

5 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Jimi Hendrix is responsible for all the parakeets in Britain

the late rock icon released the first pair of parakeets, called Adam and Eve, as a symbol of peace while stoned in London’s Carnaby Street in 1968.

A rival theory claimed that George Michael was to blame, after burglars broke into the late singer’s Hampstead home in the 1990s and raided his secret aviary. According to the tall tale, the singer was apparently wary of police involvement and failed to report the crime.

Another one I read was that they are escapees from the Humphrey bogart film The African Queen.

Used to see parakeets in South London (Forest Hill) over ten years ago. I'm sure they're still there but I'm never in that area anymore. See them around Central London when I'm there as well and I have to admit I like them. Most of our native birds are dull looking.

Cairneyhill Jambo
2 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Thriving in parts of London and other parts of England. Nobody really knows for certain how they got introduced but the most likely explanation is that people who bought them as pets released  them and they have just gradually grew from there. 

Read today that there are at least 32 thousand of them in the UK. Never seen a wild one in Scotland yet maybe wont be long before they make it here. 

Posh pigeons. 

There's about 30 parakeets in Victoria Park in Glasgow. As they are an invasive non-native species, SNH are looking at options, including removing them. Cue a dead parrot sketch. 

My son lives in London. I called him one day, all I could hear was birds chirping in the background.

I asked if he was at an aviary or something. 

He said he was out jogging. He told me it was all the parkeets, "there's loads of them."

My laddie being a bit clueless on ornithology, I thought he was wrong.

So I looked it up and was totally surprised.

Was there not a film set that was put as a possible source?

I need to get on Google again.

My film set theory seems to be rubbish

https://londonist.com/london/great-outdoors/london-s-parakeets-everything-you-need-to-know

Edited by Tommy Brown

3 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Posh pigeons. 

Screenshot-5.png

I P Knightley
3 hours ago, Budgie's Boyfriend said:

They are worse then Magpies , noisy fluckers!!

Bloody noisy flockers, indeed.

I live in west London. They've come in and taken good, British birds' jobs; colonised Kew Gardens; don't even speak our language.

In many ways, I'm disappointed that Boris Johnson will have a government with a big majority but if it means he'll send these unwanted immigrants home to where they came from, it's a spoonful of sugar.

12 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Posh pigeons. 

Must get one for the hoose, can argue wi the wife instead o me.