Tierney

jock _turd

10 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

So they could not compete with Leicester City, Wolves, Burnley all of whom have been or are in Europe in the last couple of seasons

Facts I'm afraid kill your post stone dead

So players will go to all parts of the country but not Glasgow..come on be serious..do you even know your own country of Scotland..some of the best places to live in the UK are just outside the city .

Amazing that players will live in the Midlands, the north east, the north west and some of the best places like Burnley !!! yet you claim they would not go to Glasgow..oh and a city from which they could be in London in an hour or so compared to a few more from other parts of England

The desperation to run down your own country amazes me

The only thing I can agree with is the issue with the fans

What you seem to ignore is that the club would be worth hundreds of millions more to their owner in England.....I think that may be a benefit to him at least

You ok sweetheart, you’re a wee bit aggressive my friend. Just having a discussion about the merits of Celtics chances in England

How long have Leicester and Burnley been in the EPL? I also said Celtic would start to compete after a few seasons... did you miss that bit in desperation to have an argument?

I used to to stay in Glasgow so I’m well aware of the place, yes. It’s a well know fact that clubs out side of Manchester and London have struggled to attract players without paying over the odds for them.

Where in my post did I run down Scotland?? Celtic would not simply pitch up in the EPL and challenge, do you actually think they would. They cannot compete in the champions league a competition which is regularly been won by English teams. That would apply to many large clubs outside England. It’s awash with cash and it takes time to build up to that same level. 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CJGJ

• Forever Hearts

• Beast Boy

• jack D and coke

Guest ToqueJambo
52 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

They would not cruise in the premier league but you are deluding yourself if you think they would not survive and after a while compete

With the monies clubs receive and with their support plus of course the extras that would be attracted in the English league they would be fine...as would Rangers

They could also easily get relegated as clubs with comparable supports and "brands" have even with all the TV money. If they got a mega rich owner, then of course they could do a Chelsea or Man City - as any club could - and genuinely challenge in England and Europe. If not, they would just join the throng of clubs in that league with massive attendances and loads of money. 

They have a pretty tarnished brand down south though and internationally due to all the IRA stuff. I'm not sure they'd enjoy the "global" support the top English teams get. 

Anyhow, it will never happen. Leicester and Wolves are great examples of middling English clubs that can suddenly compete. Spurs too have fought their way back into the top group. Why would they get a Scottish club in and remove opportunities for clubs like those. There's zero rationale fro getting Celtic into the EPL. They could start at the bottom though and that would be hilarious if they did a Leeds or Sunderland and got stuck down there.

1 hour ago, CJGJ said:

They would not cruise in the premier league but you are deluding yourself if you think they would not survive and after a while compete

With the monies clubs receive and with their support plus of course the extras that would be attracted in the English league they would be fine...as would Rangers

Wish they would give it a try then. 

As long as they relocate to England and Ireland as that's where their fans hearts lie

20 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

You ok sweetheart, you’re a wee bit aggressive my friend. Just having a discussion about the merits of Celtics chances in England

How long have Leicester and Burnley been in the EPL? I also said Celtic would start to compete after a few seasons... did you miss that bit in desperation to have an argument?

I used to to stay in Glasgow so I’m well aware of the place, yes. It’s a well know fact that clubs out side of Manchester and London have struggled to attract players without paying over the odds for them.

Where in my post did I run down Scotland?? Celtic would not simply pitch up in the EPL and challenge, do you actually think they would. They cannot compete in the champions league a competition which is regularly been won by English teams. That would apply to many large clubs outside England. It’s awash with cash and it takes time to build up to that same level. 

I was going to apologise if you felt it was over the top but your okay sweetheart comment ruined that.

6 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

I was going to apologise if you felt it was over the top but your okay sweetheart comment ruined that.

Ok honey😉

Just for the record, I’m not disagreeing with you, I do believe they would eventually establish themselves. Their fans on the other hand would ruin it for them and probably not be patient enough. They’re  not the loyal fans they’d have you believe when things aren’t going their way. 

Edited by Rudy T

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Celtic could get their chance versus Liverpool in the Europa League.

Arsenal? 

14 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Celtic could get their chance versus Liverpool in the Europa League.

How are Celtic going to meet Liverpool ?

Oh I get it you think Liverpool (the European Champions) may get knocked out..not going to happen

To be honest though the League is the number one target this season for Liverpool and my money better be well invested for that return !!

PS A little bit of me would love to see it and I think we know it would not be Celtic who win that tie

26 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Arsenal? 

If Liverpool lose in Salzburg and Napoli win. Then Liverpool could well be in the Europa League this time tomorrow night.

Bazzas right boot
35 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

If Liverpool lose in Salzburg and Napoli win. Then Liverpool could well be in the Europa League this time tomorrow night.

Ooh

Makes you think about just how 'big' a club they are,,,but well done on the deal

Newcastle are offering season ticket holders a free additional half-season ticket to gift to fellow supporters to help fill St James' Park.

Sunday's 2-1 victory over Southampton was Newcastle's lowest home crowd for a Premier League match since November 2010, with 42,303 in attendance.

The free ticket will cover 10 home Premier League games, starting against Everton on 28 December.

Tickets will be available on a first-come first-served basis from Tuesday.

"To have the crowds we have is wonderful and we can't ever take that for granted," said Magpies boss Steve Bruce.

"But the question to all of us at the club is can we pack the stadium to the rafters?

"It starts with results on the pitch, but I hope a gesture like this will help us to fill the place because St James' Park in full voice is a force to be reckoned with."

Newcastle fans held a protest against the ownership of Mike Ashley outside St James' Park before their opening Premier League match against Arsenal this season.

The Magpies are currently 11th in the Premier League, with 22 points from 16 matches.

Forever Hearts
7 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

I don't know what the definition of bigger is but they've won the European cup, played in the Champions League numerous times, beaten top European teams, reached a European final relatively recently. Like, they are horrible *******s but I don't think it's accurate to say they aren't bigger than Newcastle, same with Rangers. 

That's a, if my aunty had baws, statement.

I never said they weren't bigger, I said they aren't miles bigger.

And we've all seen Celtic's crowds when they go through a bad spell. They disappear like snow off a dyke and even when they were winning the league with zero competition 5 years ago they were closing the top tier at Celtic Park. 

10 hours ago, CJGJ said:

Well you stick to your view and I'll agree to differ happy in the knowledge that I know who is right

Sorry but Newcastle are not as big a club as Celtic and that's a fact

Go through the English Premier League and Celtic are far bigger than half of them without even having to consider whether there is an argument or not..same goes for Rangers

If people were that interested in Celtic why is it that Newcastle have double the amount of folks worldwide interested in them by following them on twitter??kid yourself on all you like but as soon as Celtic start losing a few games these tag albums like Rod Stewart Gerard Butler etc and a lot of normal punters disappear - Newcastle have been shit all my life pretty much but still fill St James Park ,was only 3 years or so ago Celtic park was half full every week under Norweigen Ronny

2 minutes ago, rory78 said:

If people were that interested in Celtic why is it that Newcastle have double the amount of folks worldwide interested in them by following them on twitter??kid yourself on all you like but as soon as Celtic start losing a few games these tag albums like Rod Stewart Gerard Butler etc and a lot of normal punters disappear - Newcastle have been shit all my life pretty much but still fill St James Park ,was only 3 years or so ago Celtic park was half full every week under Norweigen Ronny

I have to stick up for Rod Stewart here. Hes been Celtic through thick and thin.

11 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I have to stick up for Rod Stewart here. Hes been Celtic through thick and thin.

So basically his entire adult life then. Thick and thin should be his epitaph.

Forever Hearts
11 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

He's supported Celtic since the 70s, when he was in his late 20s/early 30s. 

3 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

He's supported Celtic since the 70s, when he was in his late 20s/early 30s. 

Whilst he was still thick, and still thin, then?

11 hours ago, livi said:

The game is so boring. Not a shot at goal in 1st 20 mins Meant to be a derby too. 🤔

Have you watched any Edinburgh derbies recently?

Just now, Forever Hearts said:

And certainly not "his entire adult life". 

Jesus... catch up for goodness sakes. Away and have a coffee or a vodka or something, come back and read it again. 🙄

Forever Hearts
24 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Jesus... catch up for goodness sakes. Away and have a coffee or a vodka or something, come back and read it again. 🙄

I don't drink coffee and wouldn't touch alcohol at this time in the morning. Point stands that you were talking nonsense though, as usual.  

14 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

I don't drink coffee and wouldn't touch alcohol at this time in the morning. Point stands that you were talking nonsense though, as usual.  

Fair enough. Wait until 10:00 then. 👍

Your point doesn’t stand. You didn’t get the point. :lol:

Clubs like Bournemouth, Huddersfield, Burnley, Wolves etc all surviving and some even thriving in the EPL, kills any notion that it would only be the old firm that would do well in the EPL. Give Motherwell £92million and I bet they’d give it a good go. The idea of the old firm came around when Sky were trying to get the EPL the biggest league in the world and people thought having Celtic/Rangers in it would help. Now that Sky has made the EPL the best league in the world, it has no need for the old firm, no matter how many zoomers up here believe they do. 

Everton are investigating their own fans because they sang an “offensive” song about Chelsea being “gay”. On Sunday we had our full media glorifying the atmosphere in Hampden. The FA wouldn’t go near that or allow their product to be associated with it. 

The old firm are only relative in Scotland. 

1 hour ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Well I enjoyed it...🤣

2 minutes ago, Jap Jambo said:

Well I enjoyed it...🤣

We are just the Laryea Kingston and Michael Stewart of JKB. We obviously play the game at a level our team mates can't match.

Speaking as someone who has spent a lot of time abroad, im afraid people on here may be underestimating the global potential of celtic, they are pretty much a global brand playing in the SPL, everywhere you go people know them, as an example there is a club here in South Africa playing in the local premier league called Bloemfontein Celtic , do the whole hoops things ,drives me up the wall to see locals walking about in the strip,they would be massive playing in the EPL, obviously not competing with current management and players, they are certainly brand wise much closer to the Chelseas and Arsenals of this world than Newcastle, although maybe a bit of regular exposure would wake people up to what a horrible club they are. 

jack D and coke
13 hours ago, Forever Hearts said:

Celtic are not miles bigger than Newcastle United, and they still wouldn't be even if they played down south. 

Imo Celtic are bigger then Newcastle. Way bigger. 
Newcastle are like a few English clubs (Villa etc)who are big in their own city but that’s it’s. 

Their Irish roots ensure that. 
Celtic wouldn’t see Newcastle in their way imo.

Forever Hearts
3 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Newcastle are like a few English clubs (Villa etc)who are big in their own city but that’s it’s. 

As I've already said, they are bigger, just not miles bigger. Newcastle have enormous potential and pretty much fill their ground every week despite not having won a trophy in 50 years. Would Celtic do the same? No chance. 

1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

Of course they are. Like you say Newcastle are massive in Newcastle, a city of less than 300k people, but that's about it. Yeah there are more than a million in the NE postcode area but that goes as far north as the Scottish border and west to nearly Carlisle, it's not exactly toon army country.

jack D and coke
11 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

As I've already said, they are bigger, just not miles bigger. Newcastle have enormous potential and pretty much fill their ground every week despite not having won a trophy in 50 years. Would Celtic do the same? No chance. 

Newcastle don’t have enormous potential or someone wouldn’t tapped into it at least once. They’re football daft the geordies I’ll give them that but they don’t have the roots of Celtic. Celtic are one of Europe’s great clubs. They’d leave a lot of teams in their wake if they ever got into that EPL. 
It not something I say lightly I hate the tramps :lol: 

Edited by jack D and coke

Forever Hearts
12 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Newcastle don’t have enormous potential or someone wouldn’t tapped into it at least once. They’re football daft the geordies I’ll give them that but they don’t have the roots of Celtic. Celtic are one of Europe’s great clubs. They’d leave a lot of teams in their wake if they ever got into that EPL. 

Newcastle don't have enormous potential? I think we'll just leave it there. 👍

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, Forever Hearts said:

Newcastle don't have enormous potential? I think we'll just leave it there. 👍

I suppose they do but so does Everton. So does Sunderland. So does Villa. So does Leeds Utd. So does Hearts I suppose. 
In the main though they’re pretty much always poor. 

One season in ten they have. How do some clubs always seem to have success and others just can’t seem to get there? 

• 5 months later...
Angel eyes

Arsenal considering off loading Tierney to Leicester after just one injury hit season Rodgers willing to take a punt.......thought he was the next big thing?

Madjambo21

Good going forward when fit but cant defend to save himself.

Always thought he was over hyped.

Good luck to him though

Nookie Bear
15 minutes ago, Angel eyes said:

Arsenal considering off loading Tierney to Leicester after just one injury hit season Rodgers willing to take a punt.......thought he was the next big thing?

That’s a step up. 

gashauskis9

If it wasn’t for his tweets, we’d forget he even existed.  One of the most overrated players Scotland has ever produced (imo).

Pasquale for King
On 09/12/2019 at 20:14, jock _turd said:

Watching the W Ham vs Arsenal game he looks lost at that level.

Like in Europe his inability to defend is shown up, I remember him being bullied by Uche moving into his area at Tynie one night and he couldn’t handle the physicality. The same game we went down to ten men and Djoum moved wide right to cover Clare at RB, he showed Tierney inside all the time and he didn’t know what to do. He has a lot to learn but seems to have a good manager, if he can stay fit.

ps **** him he’s a Celtic ***** 👍🏽

Edited by Pasquale for King

Uncle Buck

Leicester are better than Arsenal just now. Chelsea are after Chilwell so would make sense.

Think he could get to that level but he's not a top premier league defender imo, not yet. 

Tierney is a strange one. He's a good player but not exceptionally so as his reputation would suggest. His stock seems to have been inflated massively by the early comparison with Robertson with Tierney somehow actually getting the nod for Scotland at left back with Robertson having to accommodate and play out of position. I think the fact that there was even a debate about which one should play gave people the impression that they were on the same level and if anything Tierney was the better talent as he played in his preferred position. When Robertson then steps up to a whole new level, the previous comparison is still in some people's mind so they rate Tierney as being a top level player even if not quite as good as Robertson any more when the truth is they are miles apart. 

29 minutes ago, Anything2 said:

Tierney is a strange one. He's a good player but not exceptionally so as his reputation would suggest. His stock seems to have been inflated massively by the early comparison with Robertson with Tierney somehow actually getting the nod for Scotland at left back with Robertson having to accommodate and play out of position. I think the fact that there was even a debate about which one should play gave people the impression that they were on the same level and if anything Tierney was the better talent as he played in his preferred position. When Robertson then steps up to a whole new level, the previous comparison is still in some people's mind so they rate Tierney as being a top level player even if not quite as good as Robertson any more when the truth is they are miles apart. 

Illuminating comments, thanks for this @Anything2

I think comparing Robertson and Tierney is tricky, as Robertson has transformed what his position means to the modern game, whereas Tierney will struggle to get a game. That said, for those who can rise above "celtic are w*nks" chat and appreciate the player as a person, this interview is quite touching, from his school days and (importantly) the support of his parents to getting the call from Arsenal and working under Arteta. 

The interview style is good too, refreshing - a bit like Si Ferry, where the objective is to establish a rapport with the player not pose like a professional for the viewer. 

Unknown user
3 hours ago, Madjambo21 said:

Good going forward when fit but cant defend to save himself.

Always thought he was over hyped.

Good luck to him though

Exactly this, just not that good

On 10/12/2019 at 10:47, jack D and coke said:

I hadn't seen this, they've got all the potential in the world. A large fanbase, loyal as anything and desperate for a bit of success.

Chelsea had only ever won 1 league title before the 2000s, they've won leagues, domestic cups, european trophies since.

Newcastle have won 4 league titles.

In 1999 when Keegan and Ferguson were battling it out for the league Newcastle were the 5th highest earning club on the planet.

I honestly can't think of many clubs with more potential.

jack D and coke
21 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Exactly this, just not that good

I hadn't seen this, they've got all the potential in the world. A large fanbase, loyal as anything and desperate for a bit of success.

Chelsea had only ever won 1 league title before the 2000s, they've won leagues, domestic cups, european trophies since.

Newcastle have won 4 league titles.

In 1999 when Keegan and Ferguson were battling it out for the league Newcastle were the 5th highest earning club on the planet.

I honestly can't think of many clubs with more potential.

They’re big in Newcastle and now that someone is going to chuck hundreds of millions at them they might. They aren’t a worldwide brand like the other teams United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Madrid etc and the minute you take away the big funding they’ll go back to where they were. 
Not saying for a second the teams mentioned don’t spend big but they have the history to match and a worldwide following. The toon don’t. They’re an Everton, an Aston vIlla. 
Celtic are a much bigger club but play in the wrong country imo. 
Was all I meant.