New Zealand volcano eruption

The Internet

The rescue of those who are still trapped on the Island has had to be suspended due to the instability of the Island, it is just to dangerous for the rescue teams to land on the Island.

Webcam footage just before the eruption showed groups of tourists walking/standing along the rim of the volcano and walking along paths very close to the point of the explosion.

Horrible news. However going on holiday to the country's most active volcano doesn't seem like the most sensible idea tbh.

Edited by Ray Gin

1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

Horrible news. However going on holiday to the country's most active volcano doesn't seem like the most sensible idea tbh.

Was saying on the news that there had been increased seismic activity over the last month or so, in fairness an eruption wasn't expected.

Latest news isn't good.

Police don't expect to find any survivors on the Island and whilst the exact figure of those still missing is unclear it is in double figures, it was believed that up to 50 people were on the Island when the eruption happened and that 23 have been rescued including the 5 confirmed dead, that could leave in excess of 20 plus people still unaccounted for.

https://news.sky.com/story/new-zealand-pm-people-unaccounted-for-as-volcano-erupts-11882051

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

15 minutes ago, Barack said:

I'm undecided if I want buried or cremated when I go.

Cremation by Volcano...not the way I'd imagine.

Debatable whether they will be able to retrieve all the bodies, could be days before the authorities manage to get to the area and by then the bodies could be buried under a few feet of ash by then.

alwaysthereinspirit
5 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Debatable whether they will be able to retrieve all the bodies, could be days before the authorities manage to get to the area and by then the bodies could be buried under a few feet of ash by then.

Over the last two years I've visited Hawaii and Italy. Went to Kilauea and Pompei. Its staggering how quickly surrounding areas were covered by either ash or lava. Unfortunately you're probably right about recoveries being possible right now. If ever. 

3 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Over the last two years I've visited Hawaii and Italy. Went to Kilauea and Pompei. Its staggering how quickly surrounding areas were covered by either ash or lava. Unfortunately you're probably right about recoveries being possible right now. If ever. 

Been to Pompeii and the scale of it is staggering, still finding things all the time, they found a horse not long ago.

Seems that there was a group of 24 Australians who were visiting the Island on a day trip from the Ovation of the Seas cruise ship, the Australian authorities are desperately trying to locate them, they know some Australians were injured but have not been able to locate all of their nationals.

Said earlier that 38 people from the cruise ship had booked a trip to the Island today, no info as yet to how many if any were caught up in this disaster.

alwaysthereinspirit
3 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Been to Pompeii and the scale of it is staggering, still finding things all the time, they found a horse not long ago.

Seems that there was a group of 24 Australians who were visiting the Island on a day trip from the Ovation of the Seas cruise ship, the Australian authorities are desperately trying to locate them, they know some Australians were injured but have not been able to locate all of their nationals.

Said earlier that 38 people from the cruise ship had booked a trip to the Island today, no info as yet to how many if any were caught up in this disaster.

Kind of boat trip I've taken my kids on many times. A few hours away. Just to show them something different. You'd never for a moment take them if you thought it was dangerous. In Hawaii, about two miles away was as close as you could get to Kilauea. 

On our visit to New Zealand on the bus into Aukland the first day we were shown a volcano, I was surprised how common they seemed to be in New Zealand.

1 hour ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

The pyroclastic cloud that follows an eruption is one of, if not the, most destructive natural forces on the planet. Just a massive cloud of smoke, dust and rock travelling along the ground at several hundred miles an hour. Nothing can stand up to that sort of punishment. 

Edited by trotter

Fxxx the SPFL
1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

same here did a day trip from Sorrento to Vesuvius in the morning and Pompeii in the afternoon. Bus took us nearly all the way to the top just had to walk the last few hundred yards to the rim you could smell the sulphur from way off and when you looked down into the crater their were sulphur vents with the gases coming out. Dangerous stuff and yet they keep building in Naples if/when it erupts again i hope the locals have enough time to scarper. Pompeii was brilliant went back the next day ourselves by train absolutely amazing.

shame for those tourists in New Zealand.

Unreal.    You don't tend to believe you'll meet your maker inside a volcano crater,   albeit if you go in one it's not exactly the safest place.     

Latest figures released by Jacinda Arden the PM of New Zealand.

She has said that there were 47 people on the Island at the time of the eruption, 5 are dead, 8 are still missing and 31 were taken to hospital.

People from New Zealand, Australia, UK, USA, China & Malaysia were caught up in the disaster.

https://news.sky.com/story/new-zealand-volcano-eruption-at-least-one-briton-among-eight-still-missing-11882571

Jambof3tornado

Remember being on Sicily when mt Etna did a little eruption. 4 inches of ash on everything and the smell was horrendous.

We had been on it the day before.

It's looking like a minimum of 13 dead and many of the injured are critical mainly because of burns.  Just horrible.

6th disaster in this wee country of less than 5m people this century.

Sadly another 2 people have died in hospital, bringing the confirmed number of dead to 8.

I think there are about 19 victims who are in hospital in a critical condition, so the death toll is unfortunately likely to rise further.