Has Danny found a local yet ?

NlGHTMARE

The Treasurer
12 hours ago, NlGHTMARE said:

He’ll be in his local cafe/deli/coffee shop every morning for his breakfast too, in fairness you’ve assumed he’s drinking alcohol, when it’s not always the case, (he does like a drink though) he’ll sit there with a few coffees most nights, he lives on his own all his family are back in Germany, he goes out to watch the football on TV and mix with people. 

I'd love to see the reaction if he comes into the Tynecastle Arms and asks for a Latte :mw_confused:

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Bridge of Djoum

• Pasquale for King

• davemclaren

13 hours ago, NlGHTMARE said:

He’ll be in his local cafe/deli/coffee shop every morning for his breakfast too, in fairness you’ve assumed he’s drinking alcohol, when it’s not always the case, (he does like a drink though) he’ll sit there with a few coffees most nights, he lives on his own all his family are back in Germany, he goes out to watch the football on TV and mix with people. 

**** me that sounds like an amazing life.

11 hours ago, hereford_hearts said:

The snug is where my dad would take me, as I was 15 at the time. Trap 1, trap 2, trap 3, and the confessional!! The only pub where a stranger could hold up an amount of fingers to the barman, and he automatically knew what you wanted. Back in the 80's, before Coronation Inns took it over, and ruined it, there were 16 80 shilling taps, one special, one lager, and one cider.

Who was the old guy who manned the tills? None of the young serving lads were never allowed near it. I'm sure he was also the guy who kept the beer in such good condition. 

Oh, and the steak pies!!!

Exactly how I remember it. The youngsters nowadays have a choice of umpteen draught beers, craft beers, bottles and tins (all tasting much the same) in most bars these days but once you'd had a pint of Heavy (80 bob) in The Diggers in the 70s/80s no other beers came close (IMO). Mind you, the alternatives were pretty limited then!

On 08/12/2019 at 22:47, Bridge of Djoum said:

I did my wine shopping yesterday and found a very nice blend, 70/30 Merlot and Cabernet. It’s really quite lovely, full bodied, smoky. Very much a sipping wine, a wee deal at $14.I buy those for myself. The wife doesn’t care as long as it’s wet and has a screw top. At 43yo she still cannot operate a corkscrew, or our coffee maker for that matter. She necks wine like the French Foreign Legion on their island off Djibouti. 

https://www.wine.com/product/torbreck-woodcutters-shiraz-2018/548615 - don't know if you've discovered wine.com, I loved it when I was in the US. Some of the Aussie stuff in particular has very keen pricing...

Wonder where Hearts will put him up? Assuming they've chatted through how he spends his time away from football so will know he needs a decent boozer or two and some nice cafe's.

Got to be Stockbridge doesn't it?

13 hours ago, hereford_hearts said:

The snug is where my dad would take me, as I was 15 at the time. Trap 1, trap 2, trap 3, and the confessional!! The only pub where a stranger could hold up an amount of fingers to the barman, and he automatically knew what you wanted. Back in the 80's, before Coronation Inns took it over, and ruined it, there were 16 80 shilling taps, one special, one lager, and one cider.

Who was the old guy who manned the tills? None of the young serving lads were never allowed near it. I'm sure he was also the guy who kept the beer in such good condition. 

Oh, and the steak pies!!!

And they were the proper slide style taps as well.  Gave a smoother flow into the glass.

Bridge of Djoum
4 hours ago, Jap Jambo said:

https://www.wine.com/product/torbreck-woodcutters-shiraz-2018/548615 - don't know if you've discovered wine.com, I loved it when I was in the US. Some of the Aussie stuff in particular has very keen pricing...

I never used Wine.com...always found them a tad pricey.

I've tried most of the wine clubs here...naked wines, Laithwaites, NY Times.  By far the best was the Wall Street Journal club. Their introductory offer was a dozen hand picked bottles, plus 3 free. $79.99 plus $20 shipping. I researched the bottles and the overall true value was over $300. The wines were excellent. I stayed with them for 3 years until I  moved to RI in the summer. 

Bridge of Djoum
4 hours ago, E6 Inc said:

Wonder where Hearts will put him up? Assuming they've chatted through how he spends his time away from football so will know he needs a decent boozer or two and some nice cafe's.

He could go on the lash with Dylan Moran. I met him a few times in various Stockbridge boozers, he's friends with one of my sisters. Top lad.

6 hours ago, E6 Inc said:

2 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

He could go on the lash with Dylan Moran. I met him a few times in various Stockbridge boozers, he's friends with one of my sisters. Top lad.

Stockaree is a brilliant area to drink in.  Not a boozer there I don't like.

Bridge of Djoum
8 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Stockaree is a brilliant area to drink in.  Not a boozer there I don't like.

Same, good drinking area...however...

I dropped into the Stockbridge Tap for a drink last year when I was back in Edinburgh. I was sober, smart suit. I asked for a double Old Pulteney and was told that they don't serve double malts. Any idea if that's common? Seems odd to me. I asked if I could get 2 singles, he said yes. I ordered those, poured one into the other and thanked him. The look he gave me wasn't too friendly. Didn't put me off the place but I did find it weird.

Edited by Bridge of Djoum

9 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

**** me that sounds like an amazing life.

Seems like a pretty easy lifestyle to replicate tbf mate. Give it a wee bash. 😊

Bridge of Djoum
14 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

I dropped into the Stockbridge Tap for a drink last year when I was back in Edinburgh. I was sober, smart suit. I asked for a double Old Pulteney and was told that they don't serve double malts. Any idea if that's common? Seems odd to me. I asked if I could get 2 singles, he said yes. I ordered those, poured one into the other and thanked him. The look he gave me wasn't too friendly. Didn't put me off the place but I did find it weird.

Actually, may have been St Bernard's.

5 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Never heard of that before, no.

I've, and you probably have too, heard of certain beers only being served in half pint measures due to their strength. But, as you say, just order two halves. I had that once in Milnes bar on Rose Street/Hanover Street when ordering some Trappist beer (can't remember it's name however).

You may just have been unlucky though, as the 'Tap' can be a bit strange sometimes, especially if you're not a 'local.

We have sometimes found the staff to be a wee bit aloof, because they don't know us.

Our favourites are the Bailie, Hectors and the one near Clarence Street that used to called Coconut Tams.

We watched Live Aid in the Antiquary, don't know if that's still there?

Don't know if you saw my reply to you yesterday regarding that wine you found (the blend)?  It sounds good. :thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Actually, may have been St Bernard's.

That's the really wee place, right?

Not a bar I've used many times, I'm afraid.

Bridge of Djoum
On 09/12/2019 at 12:41, Morgan said:

All sounds good.  :thumbsup:

I think the dollar roughly equates to the Euro right now, and 12-14 Euros is roughly what we pay for a middle of the road Barolo which, to use your terminology, is quite lovely too.  

A decent Cotes du Rhone can be had here in France for around 7-10 Euros, also excellent.

My all-time fave however is Rioja, which we drink loads of when in Barcelona (going there next week to see friends). We pick it up there for around 5 Euros!!

Aye, unless I've heard of something a bit special I tend to pay $12-16 a bottle. 

Cotes Du Rhone is always reliable. My place in Brooklyn did some great lines there, Kermit Lynch being my choice usually.

I used to get a very nice Rioja in Edinburgh, a Campo Viejo Crianza. Bloody lovely.

Bridge of Djoum
8 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Pretty small as I remember it. 

Goldstone Wonder
2 hours ago, Morgan said:

Been shut for about three years but has opened up again in the last couple of weeks. The Bailie is my favourite. Love that pub. The Antiquary is still there. 

Really hope Danny ends up staying in Stickbridge. . 

48 minutes ago, Goldstone Wonder said:

Been shut for about three years but has opened up again in the last couple of weeks. The Bailie is my favourite. Love that pub. The Antiquary is still there. 

Really hope Danny ends up staying in Stickbridge. . 

Thanks for the update.  I was last in Stockbridge in May, but never walked past The Antiquary and only got as far as The Bailie and Hectors before heading up to Time 4 Thai for our meal.