Sign in to follow this  
Ray Gin

Christmas is destroying the planet

Ray Gin

The amount of waste at this time of year is ridiculous, from non-recyclable wrapping paper, to useless plastic novelty crap that is destined for the bin after barely being looked at, to the needless chopping down of trees so you can stick one in your house for a month.

Good article on it here:

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/christmas-killing-the-planet-environment_uk_5a26d453e4b0e383e63c3d05

davemclaren

Bah Humbug. 

good point actually. 

Old Hearts
21 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

The amount of waste at this time of year is ridiculous, from non-recyclable wrapping paper, to useless plastic novelty crap that is destined for the bin after barely being looked at, to the needless chopping down of trees so you can stick one in your house for a month.

Good article on it here:

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/christmas-killing-the-planet-environment_uk_5a26d453e4b0e383e63c3d05

Accept the non-recyclable paper and plastic tat points, but not convinced by tree argument.

Most Christmas trees come from Christmas tree farms, no? For every tree cut down, more are planted in their place, on a rotational basis? .... Surely could be argued that this planting of trees and existence of Christmas tree farms are good for environment?? .... And if disposed of properly once January comes, discarded trees fully recyclable for other uses?

Ray Gin
14 minutes ago, Old Hearts said:

Accept the non-recyclable paper and plastic tat points, but not convinced by tree argument.

Most Christmas trees come from Christmas tree farms, no? For every tree cut down, more are planted in their place, on a rotational basis? .... Surely could be argued that this planting of trees and existence of Christmas tree farms are good for environment?? .... And if disposed of properly once January comes, discarded trees fully recyclable for other uses?

And the land wasted on these farms? The water wasted? The carbon emissions from the delivery, fuel, machinery, chainsaws etc? Admittedly they are less bad than plastic trees.

Edited by Ray Gin

Old Hearts
Just now, Ray Gin said:

And the land wasted on these farms? The water wasted? The carbon emissions from the delivery, fuel, machinery, chainsaws etc?

Most are on land totally useless for any other purpose? ..... Water? Seriously? .... We live in Scotland, not Africa.

Carbon emissions would be negligible, compared to carbon emissions used for other consumables for example.

Ron Burgundy

You Christians are stealing my dreams :smiliz46:

Cade

My friends and family have all gotten sick of the waste too.

We tend to give each other day out experiences as gifts rather than some physical thing we don't want or need.

Xmas trees are plastic ones that will last pretty much forever and some of the ones available these days look really good.

Ray Gin
2 minutes ago, Cade said:

My friends and family have all gotten sick of the waste too.

We tend to give each other day out experiences as gifts rather than some physical thing we don't want or need.

Xmas trees are plastic ones that will last pretty much forever and some of the ones available these days look really good.

Plastic trees are even worse for the environment. Can't be recycled and their production has a huge carbon footprint.

Mauricio Pinilla

I'd rather give up cars than Christmas. 

Bauld

We've cut right back. My son is 6 and spends his TV time fully absorbed in David Attenborough programmes and any other nature related stuff he can find. He wants no christmas crackers or glitter crap this year because it is polluting the oceans and doing terrible things to the planet.

6 years old and wants to make a difference. We could all learn from that example. 

Ray Gin
2 minutes ago, Bauld said:

We've cut right back. My son is 6 and spends his TV time fully absorbed in David Attenborough programmes and any other nature related stuff he can find. He wants no christmas crackers or glitter crap this year because it is polluting the oceans and doing terrible things to the planet.

6 years old and wants to make a difference. We could all learn from that example. 

Good on the wee lad. You must be doing something right. :thumbsup: 

Lemongrab
1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Plastic trees are even worse for the environment. Can't be recycled and their production has a huge carbon footprint.

An artificial trees apparently needs to be kept for at least 10 years, to have the same environmental impact as a single real tree which goes to landfill. You'd have to keep it even longer to compensate for trees being recycled or burnt.

Horatio Caine

What about the extravagent illuminations out in front of people's houses?  Yes, they're probably LED so don't use too much juice, but there's hunners and hunners of them!  In my street alone, Blackpool, eat your heart out!

Ray Gin
1 minute ago, Horatio Caine said:

What about the extravagent illuminations out in front of people's houses?  Yes, they're probably LED so don't use too much juice, but there's hunners and hunners of them!  In my street alone, Blackpool, eat your heart out!

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/christmas-lighting-equal-to-228-days-electricity-2132113.html

GoCompare calculated that a display of 100 five-watt bulbs switched on for six hours a day over the festive period will consume 207 Kwh, the equivalent of 22.8 days of the average British household's electricity consumption.

Craig_
3 hours ago, Old Hearts said:

Most are on land totally useless for any other purpose? ..... Water? Seriously? .... We live in Scotland, not Africa.

Carbon emissions would be negligible, compared to carbon emissions used for other consumables for example.

You could probably make an argument for the trees being a carbon sink and therefore carbon negative, if anything.

Turkishcap

We could go back to an old fashioned Christmas where we could have a satsuma but I am sure that would upset someone somewhere.There would always be some greedy git who wanted 2 thus doubling the amount of fruit picked.

ri Alban
2 hours ago, Turkishcap said:

We could go back to an old fashioned Christmas where we could have a satsuma but I am sure that would upset someone somewhere.There would always be some greedy git who wanted 2 thus doubling the amount of fruit picked.

Cannae whack a tangerine on Christmas Day.

TheStig

**** it lets stop doing absolutely everything until the world ends on it own accord.

Irufushi

Everything a problem nowadays. Relax , it is what it is. 

Ray Gin
2 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Everything a problem nowadays. Relax , it is what it is. 

giphy.gif

indianajones

Trees aren't really an issue to be honest. 

Jambothump
16 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

You Christians are stealing my dreams :smiliz46:

Ha ha ha 😧

iantjambo
19 hours ago, Bauld said:

source.gif

:D

jack D and coke

Just don’t think about it. It’s a runaway train, it’s all too late. 
Merry Christmas:santa3:

AlimOzturk

It will take an extinction event of apocalyptic levels before humanity will change. Billions will have to die and the surving generations live in utter dire conditions for generations to come. 

I can not foresee a scenario (lest a gamma ray burst or something extreme like that which is.outwitn our control) which will wipe humanity out completely. 

However, I think we have the ability to totally **** the planet up sufficiently which will cause life on here to be pretty god dam awful. So enjoy all the luxuries  we have as we.may be one the last remaining gegeneration to actually a good standard of living

Edited by AlimOzturk

Bauld
33 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

source.gif

:D

:laugh4:

jack D and coke
37 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

It will take an extinction event of apocalyptic levels before humanity will change. Billions will have to die and the surving generations live in utter dire conditions for generations to come. 

I can not foresee a scenario (lest a gamma ray burst or something extreme like that which is.outwitn our control) which will wipe humanity out completely. 

However, I think we have the ability to totally **** the planet up sufficiently which will cause life on here to be pretty god dam awful. So enjoy all the luxuries  we have as we.may be one the last remaining gegeneration to actually a good standard of living

Yeah this is how it’ll go. People don’t care.

Look how they mock a wee lassie relentlessly and get raging at any green protestors. As much as I wouldn’t like my day to put out I can see what they’re trying to do. 
We’re all hypocrites though. 
Im like everybody I just want it to go away and live exactly how I have been. 
We’re ****ed. 
People say they’re terrified of things like Jeremy Corbyn or brexit or Scottish Indy :lol: 
We’re selfish *******s and deserve everything coming our way. 

Enjoy it while it lasts. 

Edited by jack D and coke

AlimOzturk
6 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Yeah this is how it’ll go. People don’t care.

Look how they mock a wee lassie relentlessly and get raging at any green protestors. As much as I wouldn’t like my day to put out I can see what they’re trying to do. 
We’re all hypocrites though. 
Im like everybody I just want it to go away and live exactly how I have been. 
We’re ****ed. 
People say they’re terrified of things like Jeremy Corbyn or brexit or Scottish Indy :lol: 
We’re selfish *******s and deserve everything coming our way. 

Enjoy it while it lasts. 

Rolling out a 16 year old lasie like that, crying and moaning about how folk are ruing her life was pretty cringe TBH. I get it - the world is going to be ****ed if we do change. However, that was just a political stunt from rich folk using a wee lassie for their own gains. 

I live in hope that the penny will drop but nothing short than an extreme world wide change will solve this crisis. Extreme population control measures would have to implemented 

jack D and coke
3 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Rolling out a 16 year old lasie like that, crying and moaning about how folk are ruing her life was pretty cringe TBH. I get it - the world is going to be ****ed if we do change. However, that was just a political stunt from rich folk using a wee lassie for their own gains. 

I live in hope that the penny will drop but nothing short than an extreme world wide change will solve this crisis. Extreme population control measures would have to implemented 

Yeah she’s been used defo but if not her someone else. 
I don’t worry about it anymore or try not to. 
Nobody will do anything. Or it won’t ever be enough or fast enough. We’ve been programmed to consume and aspire to buy more and more shit, bigger cars, fly more etc and governments only focus on short term you’ll pay slightly more tax and people lose their shit. 
Chances of us turning it around are slim and none and slim ****ed off 40 years ago. 

ri Alban
22 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Extinction? Humanity changing? That'll be a better trick than the first time.

jonnothejambo
On 03/12/2019 at 12:46, Bauld said:

:spoton:

You should be proud of your son. Good lad.

Bridge of Djoum
On 03/12/2019 at 08:59, Horatio Caine said:

You should see Dyker Heights in Brooklyn. Below is a sample... and there are many MANY more homes in that neighborhood adorned in a similar fashion for Xmas. 

Image result for dyker heights holiday lights

weehammy
On 03/12/2019 at 21:12, Ray Gin said:

giphy.gif

The Pol Pot of environmentalism.

Bridge of Djoum
3 minutes ago, weehammy said:

The Pol Pot of environmentalism.

Are we back onto attacking children with difficulties?

Really?

weehammy
1 minute ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Are we back onto attacking children with difficulties?

Really?

Not my own work. Spotted it in an article somewhere and thought it was apt re the Year Zero stuff.

Classic bit of victimhood in your accusation.

Bridge of Djoum
3 minutes ago, weehammy said:

Not my own work. Spotted it in an article somewhere and thought it was apt re the Year Zero stuff.

Classic bit of victimhood in your accusation.

Oh is that me virtue signalling, is it? 

Dearie me.