Christmas is destroying the planet

Ray Gin

Bridge of Djoum
On 07/12/2019 at 09:50, redjambo said:

Sorry to break it to you, but that's almost exactly what I'll be doing (except that I've got some Rioja in as my favourite red, and I'll also be doing some walking/running if the weather permits it). I imagine I'll be burning through Netflix series like nobody's business.

However, the grass is definitely greener. It would be quite nice to have someone sharing that couch with me. As long as they like the same sorts of stuff that I do of course. ;) It would be a nightmare having to spend the festive period watching romantic comedies, historical dramas and the like...

Are you an outdoors person and are your in-laws in the countryside? If so, you could get some walks in with a trusty hip flask, alone. I know, it doesn't sound very exciting. Are there no pubs nearby?

They are in the middle of nowhere in Cape Cod. Very beautiful and outdoorsy, but icy cold up here right now.

Enjoy your quiet time. When you’re stuck at home with your future partner being force fed Love Actually and being asked what you’re thinking, you’ll be yearning for sitting alone in your pants, eating monster munch and downing your bevy of choice. 

Bridge of Djoum
16 hours ago, John Gentleman said:

That's been my Xmas for the last 12 years, just substitute the merlot for a hearty IPA plus a visit from my daughter in the morning (son can't visit - he's in the UK).

I'd thoroughly recommend this approach. Elsewhere, families are getting together for that one 'joyous' occasion a year. Engaging robustly in the theatre of the absurd, the members and siblings pretend to like and love each other, while the opposite holds true. The get-togethers rarely end well and are certainly not joyous.

I'd describe my Xmases as 'minimalist', with just enough indulgence to put a smug, self-satisfied grin on my face.

You're on the right track BoD. Just conjure up a cunning plan to escape your annual shitfest...

Haha. You do indeed have it sorted. 

Bridge of Djoum
On 07/12/2019 at 09:56, Old Blue Eyes said:

Sorry to here that about your in-laws. Sadly mine are no longer here, I miss them and their mental party's. Father in-law and myself could say anything to each other. On occasion I'd get "hey you, that's my Dad your talking to" Her Dad became one of my best friends, I was fortunate I guess. 

Ah sorry to hear that, chief. It’s tough to lose someone who you have a real connection with. 

Mine are are great people, no problem with them. It’s just my social fuse is short. 

21 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

They are in the middle of nowhere in Cape Cod. Very beautiful and outdoorsy, but icy cold up here right now.

Enjoy your quiet time. When you’re stuck at home with your future partner being force fed Love Actually and being asked what you’re thinking, you’ll be yearning for sitting alone in your pants, eating monster munch and downing your bevy of choice. 

🤣🤣🤣