Unai Emery sacked

Swanny17

4 hours ago, Horatio Caine said:

Just as a matter of curiosity - Is Eddie Howe any relation to Don Howe who coached at Arsenal for years?

You just reminded me how Don used to pronounce 'Sampdoria' whenever he appeared on the Italian fitba.

Maroon Sailor
8 minutes ago, Gershwin said:

You just reminded me how Don used to pronounce 'Sampdoria' whenever he appeared on the Italian fitba.

You've just reminded me of Don Howe always referring to Arsenal as The Arsenal

Bridge of Djoum
38 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

You've just reminded me of Don Howe always referring to Arsenal as The Arsenal

2 wrongly pronounced words I used to hear fairly regularly in the 80's

Samp-A-doria.

Bi-A-Sexual.

Says a lot about my company then I suppose.

Bridge of Djoum

I think The Arse would benefit from an English manager, or someone who has experience of the league at least.

Ancelotti

Howe

Pochettino

SectionDJambo
2 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Tremendous record of success which is why he got the Arsenal job.  Couldn't make a go of it.

Just shows how problematic this manager appointment business is.

Back in the day,  someone at Aberdeen must have said let's give this Ferguson bloke a go.

St.Mirren fans must still wonder how on earth their club came to the decision to sack Alex Ferguson. Something to do with them accusing him of paying out bonuses that hadn't been authorised, or something similar. 

Aberdeen taking him on wasn't a surprise. 

crichiejambos
9 hours ago, iantjambo said:

I was going to post the same thing.

Gooners banged on over the last 5 years that pochetino had won nothing was a bottler choked when it mattered and now all that's forgotten about he's the next big thing, really Arsenal fans have no shame twats

1 hour ago, SectionDJambo said:

St.Mirren fans must still wonder how on earth their club came to the decision to sack Alex Ferguson. Something to do with them accusing him of paying out bonuses that hadn't been authorised, or something similar. 

Aberdeen taking him on wasn't a surprise. 

I honestly don't remember much of that.  As everyone knows he's the most accomplished club manager the world has ever known.  Aberdeen might have had two candidates they liked, not saying they did, and picked the other one.

11 hours ago, Boris said:

Ooh, you are awful!

Image result for dick emery ooh you are awful

But I like you...

ahhh the old joke...what ya call a man with sandpaper on his nob? 🤣

I was one of the few in The Emirates last night, surreal to see half the stadium empty. 

I was also two rows behind Emery. What didn't get reported was that Mesut Özil, who was brought on as a substitute, threw his shirt into the crowd at full time. Surprised that got missed given the furore over Xhaca actions a month earlier. Emery;'s tactics are just weird. Going 1-2 down, and putting on a midfielder, Torreira, to chase the game when you have £100m+ of striker talent sitting on your bench is baffling. In the last five minutes, he gave up shouting orders and wandered about his area with hands in pockets. 

Clearly the manager has lost dressing room, but you have to step back and question the causality - did the dressing room lose the manager. I think the players deserve more blame than they are receiving. It's easy to aim fire at the manager, but the players can't be fired and if Norwich do a number on them, the blame game continues. Remember Emery walks away with £7m and may well have his next gig already lined up (this is was the Spurs manager has done). The club should be wary of boasting he was fired.

Also, on a separate thread I raised doubts about Kieran Tierney,. Last night he managed just one forward pass. To quote another poster, he is no Andy Robertson..Indeed he looks very unsettled in that team - which is why I believe Emery is not solely to blame for the mess. With Emery gone, Tierney may be exposed. David Luiz also looks like he's unsettled as well, an incredible talent that is making far too many unforced errors. Good players in a bad team. They look lost. 

Last point, take a look at the EPL and check out competitive it is this year. If Arsenal lost to Norwich and (hypothetical) all the teams beneath them won, then  Arsenal could theoretically drop from eighth down to fourteenth. We're going into December and it's that tightly bunched up. Aston Villa are 15th and they're really finding form too. It is sooo competitive. 

Arsenal Fan TV (AFTV) comes correct with commentary. Isn't it insane that this channel now has over one million subscribers, pretty soon it'll overtake Kickback as the most powerful fan voice in football. The presenters are now celebrities inside the stadium. 

Hearts and Arsenal are very different in size but one could argue similar in their current mess. A new manager is going to need time, a lot of time, to unravel what they inherit. 

Deodato

8 hours ago, Deodato said:

I was one of the few in The Emirates last night, surreal to see half the stadium empty. 

I was also two rows behind Emery. What didn't get reported was that Mesut Özil, who was brought on as a substitute, threw his shirt into the crowd at full time. Surprised that got missed given the furore over Xhaca actions a month earlier. Emery;'s tactics are just weird. Going 1-2 down, and putting on a midfielder, Torreira, to chase the game when you have £100m+ of striker talent sitting on your bench is baffling. In the last five minutes, he gave up shouting orders and wandered about his area with hands in pockets. 

Clearly the manager has lost dressing room, but you have to step back and question the causality - did the dressing room lose the manager. I think the players deserve more blame than they are receiving. It's easy to aim fire at the manager, but the players can't be fired and if Norwich do a number on them, the blame game continues. Remember Emery walks away with £7m and may well have his next gig already lined up (this is was the Spurs manager has done). The club should be wary of boasting he was fired.

Also, on a separate thread I raised doubts about Kieran Tierney,. Last night he managed just one forward pass. To quote another poster, he is no Andy Robertson..Indeed he looks very unsettled in that team - which is why I believe Emery is not solely to blame for the mess. With Emery gone, Tierney may be exposed. David Luiz also looks like he's unsettled as well, an incredible talent that is making far too many unforced errors. Good players in a bad team. They look lost. 

Last point, take a look at the EPL and check out competitive it is this year. If Arsenal lost to Norwich and (hypothetical) all the teams beneath them won, then  Arsenal could theoretically drop from eighth down to fourteenth. We're going into December and it's that tightly bunched up. Aston Villa are 15th and they're really finding form too. It is sooo competitive. 

Arsenal Fan TV (AFTV) comes correct with commentary. Isn't it insane that this channel now has over one million subscribers, pretty soon it'll overtake Kickback as the most powerful fan voice in football. The presenters are now celebrities inside the stadium. 

Hearts and Arsenal are very different in size but one could argue similar in their current mess. A new manager is going to need time, a lot of time, to unravel what they inherit. 

Deodato

Good post and interesting to get insight from someone who goes to games down south. That's incredible the number of AFTV subscribers.

Regards the part in bold however, I can't agree, their mediocre players in a mediocre team. The look lost because they aren't good enough for that level imo. Tierney is a decent enough left back but not for a team looking to compete at the upper end of the EPL. And David Luiz, well looks like David Luiz. He's a total bombscare of a footballer. Very talented as you say but his game has been littered with mistakes everywhere he's played and pairing him up with Sokratis was always going to be a total disaster. I like guy but it's no surprise Chelsea where happy to let him go on the cheap despite having transfer ban.

8 hours ago, JCR said:

Rumours a couple of weeks ago on NFL podcasts that the LA Rams new stadium is $2.5 billion over budget. Kroenke has bigger problems than Arsenal. 

That stadium is absolutely off-the-charts.