Stornaway black pudding ?

Jambothump

I love it, but have heard various origins as to why it is so good and different. 

1. The pigs eat the seaweed ?

2. It's made from lambs blood ?

3. It's not even made on Stornaway ?

Enlightenment please.

Black pudding just tastes like blood without the combination of spices etc added to it.

I think the stornaway recipe just nails that spice mix perfect giving it a better flavour than it's competition.

22 minutes ago, Jambothump said:

I love it, but have heard various origins as to why it is so good and different. 

1. The pigs eat the seaweed ?

2. It's made from lambs blood ?

3. It's not even made on Stornaway ?

Enlightenment please.

Part of the difference is that it's lambs blod that is used I stead of dried pigs blood.

I do enjoy popping along to my local butcher and buying a whole pudding for £7.

It's certainly got a higher onion content in it than many other black puddings: you can tell that by the taste and the smell of it cooking.

Other than that, and as far as I know, it is made from lambs' blood rather than pigs' and - if it has the EU protected-origin logo on it - it is made and has to be made in Stornoway.

28 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

It's certainly got a higher onion content in it than many other black puddings: you can tell that by the taste and the smell of it cooking.

Other than that, and as far as I know, it is made from lambs' blood rather than pigs' and - if it has the EU protected-origin logo on it - it is made and has to be made in Stornoway.

And that is why I'm not a fan of it, love most black puddings, just not the Stornoway recipe.

Not a fan either, think its the onion content...repeats every time for the full day...!

Crombies own make used to be the mutts nuts but they have stopped now.......next best is the butchers at North Berwick, great stuff [They sponsored a match ball a few games ago as well...]

25 minutes ago, Do The Dance said:

Is the lambs blood thing true? Quick google shows pigs blood, maybe looking in wrong place..?

You know what? You're right...

black-pudding01_large.jpg?v=1445441638

No lamb content at all in these ones, which are the most common ones you see in the shops.

1 hour ago, moz said:

Not a fan either, think its the onion content...repeats every time for the full day...!

Crombies own make used to be the mutts nuts but they have stopped now.......next best is the butchers at North Berwick, great stuff [They sponsored a match ball a few games ago as well...]

Agreed on the Crombies black pudding.  Brilliant it was.  Anybody know why they stopped making their own?

1 hour ago, Auld Reekin' said:

No lamb content at all in these ones, which are the most common ones you see in the shops.

Haha, I only asked for my Muslim mate. Always feel he’s missing out on these things.

24 minutes ago, Do The Dance said:

Haha, I only asked for my Muslim mate. Always feel he’s missing out on these things.

He is! Bad news for him, though, I'm afraid: doesn't matter what kind* it is, if it's blood, he can't eat it! He might be OK with a traditional - i.e. no pig offal - haggis though. The haggis I've tasted that do have pig offal in them are crap anyway; to be avoided.

(*Although pig-flavour would no-doubt be particularly taboo...) 

Edited by Auld Reekin'

3 hours ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Technically incorrect. Only 1 of the butchers up here uses lots of onions, Charles MacLeods. Also, it seems the puddings only have to be made in lewis or harris to be classed as stornoway black pudding.

2 hours ago, Auld Reekin' said:

I take it back about the lambs blood. I know a couple of folk who used to make their own using lambs blood.

Also, if you can find it on the mainland, get the puddings from W J Macdonalds butchers, far better and a lot less onion. That's the butcher I always go to.

Whenever I come down to my folks, I always have about a dozen puddings in my boot for various relatives and mates. My car boot looks like an ann summers sales reps car.

1 hour ago, Mark_Mywords said:

Agreed on the Crombies black pudding.  Brilliant it was.  Anybody know why they stopped making their own?

Guy in there said it was too much hassle...lots of red tape etc for the manufacturing of it.....smooth and lovely it was....

The butchers in North Berwick......Andersons I think it is....on the high st, do the next best thing....plus their steak pies are excellent

I pop in each time I have to drive down the east coast for work and stockpile on both items

4 hours ago, Auld Reekin' said:

That’s the stuff they normally serve in most restaurants but there’s also 2 other butchers in Stornaway that make it. So there’s one called MacDonalds, but my personal fave is Macleod & Macleod’s Stornaway black pudding - it’s a bit more spicy than the other two.

3 hours ago, superjack said:

I take it back about the lambs blood. I know a couple of folk who used to make their own using lambs blood.

Also, if you can find it on the mainland, get the puddings from W J Macdonalds butchers, far better and a lot less onion. That's the butcher I always go to.

Whenever I come down to my folks, I always have about a dozen puddings in my boot for various relatives and mates. My car boot looks like an ann summers sales reps car.

:lol:

1 hour ago, Harko said:

That’s the stuff they normally serve in most restaurants but there’s also 2 other butchers in Stornaway that make it. So there’s one called MacDonalds, but my personal fave is Macleod & Macleod’s Stornaway black pudding - it’s a bit more spicy than the other two.

Thanks for the info & tips lads.   :icon14:

2 hours ago, Harko said:

Macdonalds is my favourite, plus the owner is a jambo. Always gives me extra when I'm getting mince, sausages or steaks.

Cairneyhill Jambo

Im sure i read a while ago that Charles Macleod uses dried pigs blood because there isnt enough supplies of fresh blood whereas Macleod and Macleod use fresh lambs blood.