Asda Pizza

AlimOzturk

Popped into asdas for some bits and pieces and noticed the Asda cafe now sell freshly made pizzas. I have always been a fan of asda pizzas but these were tremendous and the deal is brilliant. 

A 16 inch pizza, 4 sides (chicken strips, Jalapeno bites ect) portion of fries or wedges, big bottle of juice and a large tub of benn and Jerry ice cream -£15

Would cost more the double at Pizza Hut and it is better imi.  All ready in under tens mins as well. 

50 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Hope you didn't eat all that yourself. 

It was probably just a small snack, Mrs ozturk thinks 12 inches is half the width of his phone.

1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

Popped into asdas for some bits and pieces and noticed the Asda cafe now sell freshly made pizzas. I have always been a fan of asda pizzas but these were tremendous and the deal is brilliant. 

A 16 inch pizza, 4 sides (chicken strips, Jalapeno bites ect) portion of fries or wedges, big bottle of juice and a large tub of benn and Jerry ice cream -£15

Would cost more the double at Pizza Hut and it is better imi.  All ready in under tens mins as well. 

This the Asda at the jewel?

Was reading there is a sushi bar opening up there 

1 hour ago, theshed said:

This the Asda at the jewel?

Was reading there is a sushi bar opening up there 

Aii. Never seen a sushi bar but they are opening a subway there as well. 

Fitzroy Pointon

Can't beat an asda pizza. Tasty, plenty of toppings and all for under a fiver. 

Is this deal only in the cafe though? 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
6 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

holy shit that sounds sensational 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
6 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

A pizza as big as my dick.

My son trains at Toryglen with the SYFA U17's every second Friday and I always nip to the big Asda over the road for the pizza. Cheap and better than most of the big pizza chains.

I will deffo check out the deal Alim mentioned.

1 hour ago, Ron Burgundy said:

My son trains at Toryglen with the SYFA U17's every second Friday and I always nip to the big Asda over the road for the pizza. Cheap and better than most of the big pizza chains.

I will deffo check out the deal Alim mentioned.

Not sure every Asda cafe is doing the deal yet. The one I got was at the Jewel who are in process of a small refurb 

4 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

I love pizza but struggle to get a decent even cook through using my home oven.

Any tips on getting that perfect cook?

You could try a pizza oven stone, I have been told it makes a great pizza.

3 hours ago, micole said:

You could try a pizza oven stone, I have been told it makes a great pizza.

Anyone used one here?

Results and worth buying?

19 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Anyone used one here?

Results and worth buying?

A must for cooking good pizza IMO

Always heat the stone up and make sure pizza dough (homemade pizza) is at room temperature before placing on stone  

A must for cooking good pizza IMO

Always heat the stone up and make sure pizza dough (homemade pizza) is at room temperature before placing on stone  

Any tips on actually getting it in the stone? Mines always a struggle unless its caked in flour which isnt the nicest when eating it.

William H. Bonney
Just now, Morgan said:

How much is a pizza in Pizza Hut nowadays?

last week I got a 50% discount on just eat. I got 1 large, 1 medium and 1 small kids pizza. 
Also some nachos as a side dish. It came to about £25. 
That’s with a 50% discount. 

44 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

last week I got a 50% discount on just eat. I got 1 large, 1 medium and 1 small kids pizza. 
Also some nachos as a side dish. It came to about £25. 
That’s with a 50% discount. 

So, 50 quid for a large, a medium and a small?  With some nachos?  Christ, that’s really dear.

We can get a pizza here for around 12€ (basic Marguerite is about 9 or 10). If we cross the border into Italy we’re talking under 10€!

58 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Any tips on actually getting it in the stone? Mines always a struggle unless its caked in flour which isnt the nicest when eating it.

Put the pizza stone on the bottom rack of the oven (always a cold oven, prevents it cracking) Then heat it at 350 - 400 degrees C) 

Buy a pizza paddle. Sprinkle cornmeal on the pizza paddle before putting your pizza dough on to stop it sticking. 

Put pizza sauce/toppings and cheese on, bit of garlic/chilli oil and place it on top of the hot pizza stone. Should slide right off of the pizza paddle

Do not overload the pizza with cheese as that can prevent the dough from crisping properly. 

Edit to add..let the pizza stone cool down in the oven to prevent it from cracking. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

For anyone around Bonnyrigg:  Luci's Restaurant is giving 50% off on Just Eat today.  Waiting for my margherita, with smoked chicken and chilli to arrive. :sweeet:

24 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Put the pizza stone on the bottom rack of the oven (always a cold oven, prevents it cracking) Then heat it at 350 - 400 degrees C) 

Buy a pizza paddle. Sprinkle cornmeal on the pizza paddle before putting your pizza dough on to stop it sticking. 

Put pizza sauce/toppings and cheese on, bit of garlic/chilli oil and place it on top of the hot pizza stone. Should slide right off of the pizza paddle

Do not overload the pizza with cheese as that can prevent the dough from crisping properly. 

Edit to add..let the pizza stone cool down in the oven to prevent it from cracking. 

Cheers. I ha e a pizza stone already and have used it a few times. Don't own a paddle which is probably the issue I am causing myself. Currently fly trying to shake it off a chopping board. Also I did read up or the cornmeal or semolina flour but couldn't find it in any Supermarkets.

20 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Cheers. I ha e a pizza stone already and have used it a few times. Don't own a paddle which is probably the issue I am causing myself. Currently fly trying to shake it off a chopping board. Also I did read up or the cornmeal or semolina flour but couldn't find it in any Supermarkets.

polenta is often used as a cornmeal substitute so maybe try that?

3 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

I don't think that's the only issue you have.

Screenshot_20191115-130819_WhatsApp_resized.jpg

Samuel Camazzola
22 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

The ones they make fresh are nothing to shout about for me.

Think Morrisons actually do better fresh ones.

For each of them, it's all about the oil on top. 

Any pizza has to be a thin or stone baked base. Anyone who chooses deep pan is a deviant. 

highlandjambo3

I think the days of the Pizza Hut/pizza express/dominoes are numbered........big supermarket chains are under cutting them till they pop.  Not sure is that’s a good or bad thing, as when the competition goes they can then hike up their prices........big supermarkets are happy to make a loss (or very little profit) on these items as they would expect you to buy one or more additional items you hadn’t planned to buy on your visit.  How often have you walked out of one of the big supermarkets with just the 1 item?

look at Tesco new enhanced club card offer.....£7 quid a month (I think) gets you a pile of extra rewards (unsure what they are) but, you can only spend up to £200 on a shop and, you can only do this shop twice a month.  Their sales pitch here is limiting you to a £200 spend twice a month, in your mind you instantly think it’s a bargain because it’s limited and guess what, off you pop to Tesco every month to spend £400 to justify your £7 rewards card spend......mad ain’t it.

highlandjambo3

Anyway for cooking, remember most domestic ovens are fairly crap, unless you have shelled out about a grand for yours.  

1.  Turn the thermostat up a bit higher than what the instructions say.

2.  Make sure the oven is hot and the tray you are cooking on is as high as it can go in the oven.

3.  Get a pizza cutter and score through the pizza a couple of lines (the same way you’d slice it after it was cooked), don’t seperate the wedges or slice the pizza to deep, just score them.  Randomly jab a fork through the pizza to aid cooking through and, that’s it really.

On 15/11/2019 at 09:10, Vlad Magic said:

I love pizza but struggle to get a decent even cook through using my home oven.

Any tips on getting that perfect cook?

Got one of these as a gift last year. Very good.
CCDCBC8D-F12E-442F-AF5F-9396A8A6D000.thumb.jpeg.03e5f11c51dd2078b392556499b240d8.jpeg

luckyBatistuta

Never had one of these since I bought one a couple of years ago. The guy who made it by hand, was not wearing gloves and had a face that looked like a pizza with a million sizzling bits of pepperoni on it. I just couldn’t enjoy eating it, was giving me the boak.

34 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Yeah, they're good.

But I can't take anyone seriously when they say they're better than a Dominos or a Papa Johns.

They're very different to those two. As far as a proper pizza goes, dominoes and papa John's are awful but in terms of a greasy treat I love them.

The asda pizzas...meh...don't think they're up to much really.

14 minutes ago, Taffin said:

They're very different to those two. As far as a proper pizza goes, dominoes and papa John's are awful but in terms of a greasy treat I love them.

The asda pizzas...meh...don't think they're up to much really.

I actually prefer that kind of pizza over something you'd get our of somewhere like Civerinos.

You know what you're getting there.

2 hours ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Yeah, they're good.

But I can't take anyone seriously when they say they're better than a Dominos or a Papa Johns.

Oh man they are so much better IMO. For what your paying in comparison as well just puts them both to shame. 

Oh man they are so much better IMO. For what your paying in comparison as well just puts them both to shame. 

They're not even close.

It's like comparing a Ford to a Porsche. The Porsche is so much more expensive, but for a reason.

Samuel Camazzola
12 hours ago, Phil Dunphy said:

They're not even close.

It's like comparing a Ford to a Porsche. The Porsche is so much more expensive, but for a reason.

I've never had a Papa John's but Domino's are rank. Pizza Hut are poor too. 

4 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I've never had a Papa John's but Domino's are rank. Pizza Hut are poor too. 

Papa Johns is comfortably better than the other two.

Samuel Camazzola
5 hours ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Papa Johns is comfortably better than the other two.

How are they priced? Dominoes seem ridiculous. 

1 minute ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

How are they priced? Dominoes seem ridiculous. 

Pretty similar, but they tend to have more frequent 50%/BOGOF offers on.

Samuel Camazzola
Just now, Phil Dunphy said:

Pretty similar, but they tend to have more frequent 50%/BOGOF offers on.

Out of curiosity I looked at one of the "Two for Tuesday" offers. I thought the promo price hadn't been applied with the quoted cost. 😯

1 minute ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Out of curiosity I looked at one of the "Two for Tuesday" offers. I thought the promo price hadn't been applied with the quoted cost. 😯

Any size pizza for a tenner is pretty good really. Pretty much any takeaway food is going to be more expensive than anything you're going to cook yourself.

Samuel Camazzola
5 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Any size pizza for a tenner is pretty good really. Pretty much any takeaway food is going to be more expensive than anything you're going to cook yourself.

If the quality is decent. Dominoes is poor and not value for money.