Poppy Watch on Twitter

annushorribilis III

On 02/11/2019 at 22:45, obua said:

Done well until you said free poppies in the box so u don’t have to WASTE YOUR MONEY buying one.

Yup saw that too :facepalm:

Edited by Japan Jambo

joondalupjambo

Is this a thing?  I have never worn a Poppy for years now.   Not sure if that makes me a bad person or not.

Been to the Somme though, stood in silence at Contalmaison, Thiepval, Lochnagar Crater and numerous burial sites throughout the area.  I understand the history and sacrifice from that war.  I know about other wars. I cannot remember why I stopped wearing one.  

Edited by joondalupjambo

joondalupjambo
5 hours ago, Cade said:

Army cadets guarding poppy selling trays with....baguettes

:rofl:
Tesco in Lewes, East Sussex

Screenshot_2022-11-05_at_16.37.16.png

Leave them alone they are only trying to raise some dough for charity.

Maybe it's a regular thing there, but there seemed to be a bit of OTT remembering going on at Ibrox last night, I mean, let's wheel in a large gun and fire it.  What a way to remember the futility of war.

Between 1918-2003-ish, football got on with being football with a silence (sometimes) if a game fell on 11/11. No special programme covers, no wreath laying on pitch, no military in the stadium. Just a game football.

Then someone decided we weren't remembering enough, and it lasts for days on end. Can we go back to pre-2003 please and maybe a dignified, personal remembrance.

10 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

Maybe it's a regular thing there, but there seemed to be a bit of OTT remembering going on at Ibrox last night, I mean, let's wheel in a large gun and fire it.  What a way to remember the futility of war.

Between 1918-2003-ish, football got on with being football with a silence (sometimes) if a game fell on 11/11. No special programme covers, no wreath laying on pitch, no military in the stadium. Just a game football.

Then someone decided we weren't remembering enough, and it lasts for days on end. Can we go back to pre-2003 please and maybe a dignified, personal remembrance.

Yes that was well over the top and strike if pure jingoism and celebration of war . Nothing wrong with remembering those who died but also nothing wrong with trying to ensure there are no more wars ! 

As predicted one of the friends  I have on my Facebook has his profile pic etc all blazoned with military stuff . He’s an odd sort . Basically quite middle class , late 30s but thinks he’s one of “ the troops” and gets all excited around the “ crew” when we have seen them in pubs etc . He’s even worse when he has been on the white stuff and tries to cause a pagger or two . He then shires it . It’s actually quite comical in some ways. Desperate to be a rebel and part of a group really . An identity . Bit of a Wally , really . Btw I say all this to him ! 😂 

21 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Leave them alone they are only trying to raise some dough for charity.

Maybe they should be near the flour stand ? 

7 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yes that was well over the top and strike if pure jingoism and celebration of war . Nothing wrong with remembering those who died but also nothing wrong with trying to ensure there are no more wars ! 

Don't even think about your team not wearing a poppy on their shirts now. It's the law.

5 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

Don't even think about your team not wearing a poppy on their shirts now. It's the law.

Not got an issue with that at all . Unless players object for whatever reason they so wish 

2 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Not got an issue with that at all . Unless players object for whatever reason they so wish 

You're not allowed to object, unless you want all hell to break loose.

On 02/11/2019 at 23:50, Sooperstar said:

Some have missed the point.

You can be sure there will be a fan tomorrow with a massive poppy on their back with 'Lest We Forget' in place of a player's name.

I have the 2014/15 home poppy top.

On the back I have Falklands 82.

17 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

As predicted one of the friends  I have on my Facebook has his profile pic etc all blazoned with military stuff . He’s an odd sort . Basically quite middle class , late 30s but thinks he’s one of “ the troops” and gets all excited around the “ crew” when we have seen them in pubs etc . He’s even worse when he has been on the white stuff and tries to cause a pagger or two . He then shires it . It’s actually quite comical in some ways. Desperate to be a rebel and part of a group really . An identity . Bit of a Wally , really . Btw I say all this to him ! 😂 

One of those county lines gangs, I guess.

24 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

You're not allowed to object, unless you want all hell to break loose.

Takes a brave man to stand out from the crowd 

4 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

It was the first of the two wars I was part of.

Im glad you get to remember it in the method of your choosing.

13 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Im glad you get to remember it in the method of your choosing.

Thank you, sadly over a 1,000 dead both sides don't.

Shooter McGavin

As the years go on, it’s like the whole thing has been hijacked to see who can out-naff each other, and unfortunately, there’s some real competition going round these days.

Dick Dastardly
1 hour ago, Chuck Berry said:

I think a lot of it is because of celtics approach to it. They don't commemorate so the huns have to go over board. I know a few huns who wear poppy badges all year because they seem to think its a the rangers thing. Sadly they don't seem to buy them from the official charities. 

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I think a lot of it is because of celtics approach to it. They don't commemorate so the huns have to go over board. I know a few huns who wear poppy badges all year because they seem to think its a the rangers thing. Sadly they don't seem to buy them from the official charities. 

The whole damn thing has been hijacked these last 10 or so years.

• 2 weeks later...
Jambo Buckets
On 10/11/2022 at 16:12, JudyJudyJudy said:

Every year they have a big tank or armoured car outside the Louden Tavern, the Rangers pub not far from me. You can forgive the cheapness and tackiness of some of the displays at Ibrox but a tank outside a pub? It's more about celebrating the British Empire to a lot of people rather than remembering the soldiers that died. 

16 minutes ago, Jambo Buckets said:

t's more about celebrating the British Empire to a lot of people rather than remembering the soldiers that died. 

Unfortunately, very true i feel.