Poppy Watch on Twitter

annushorribilis III

A few coins for a poppy, a few minutes of thought once a year for men and women who gave their lives doing their duty seems a small price to pay for their sacrifice,some as young as sixteen who never were able to enjoy the gifts of life, marriage, children, career etc. Things most of us take for granted, and our right.

Some have missed the point.

You can be sure there will be a fan tomorrow with a massive poppy on their back with 'Lest We Forget' in place of a player's name.

been here before
6 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

Wear a poppy, don't wear a poppy.

Its not about just wearing a poppy anymore its about being seen to wear one.

Stephane Grappelli

Great to see the Cookie Monster doing proper remembrance.

I also find it farcical, but funny, when club mascots join in the minute's silence.  All the players in the centre circle, heads bowed respectfully, next to a giant green dinosaur or a bug eyed, 8 foot tall squirrel.

12 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

Wear a poppy, don't wear a poppy.

6 hours ago, been here before said:

Its not about just wearing a poppy anymore its about being seen to wear one.

Both of these are 100% correct , its strange watching people trying to be the best at remembering . 

The Real Maroonblood
11 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Both of these are 100% correct , its strange watching people trying to be the best at remembering . 

It’s like über football fans.

I get some don’t want to wear one, but this is out of order from a Celtic fan who apparently works for Apple and is a St Mirren Academy player.  

Or his reply.  

Edited by Paolo

5 hours ago, Paolo said:

I get some don’t want to wear one, but this is out of order from a Celtic fan who apparently works for Apple and is a St Mirren Academy player.  

Or his reply.  

Nothing more worthy of sympathy than the silliness of youth. So often in a desire to seem tough and smart they destroy their own image by use of their tongue or a pen or tweet. The positive thing is the young man can think this way because of the efforts of those who gave their lives to allow him his freedoms. He won't have to do it because when the threat does come it will be a silent missile delivered by air, and will destroy in a blink his whole society.

On 03/11/2019 at 09:07, Stephane Grappelli said:

Great to see the Cookie Monster doing proper remembrance.

I also find it farcical, but funny, when club mascots join in the minute's silence.  All the players in the centre circle, heads bowed respectfully, next to a giant green dinosaur or a bug eyed, 8 foot tall squirrel.

There's a twitter page for that too

Take a look at Mascots Minute Silence (@MascotSilence): https://twitter.com/MascotSilence?s=09

Stephane Grappelli
8 hours ago, His name is said:

There's a twitter page for that too

Take a look at Mascots Minute Silence (@MascotSilence): https://twitter.com/MascotSilence?s=09

Cheers mate!

12 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

image.jpg

Never forget. 

Brilliant!  Good to see Gunnersaurus remembrancing properly.

Салатные палочки

At fourteen years old, the sight of Hearty Harry and Pudsey Bear standing with their heads bowed during the remembrance minutes silence at Tynecastle was almost too much to take.  Had to hide my sniggering under my scarf. 

been here before
35 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Thats outstanding.

Alan Partridge stuff.

:rofl:

Edited by been here before

1 hour ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

:rofl: The whole poppy thing just gets better and better every year.

Mac_fae_Gillie
34 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

:phface:

probably got the wee paper one on the front of his car its an easy mistake to make.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Mac_fae_Gillie said:

probably got the wee paper one on the front of his car its an easy mistake to make.

Embarrassing stuff from clowns like that.

Just now, redjambo said:

Don Cherry: Canadian hockey pundit fired for poppy rant.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-50241256

I was watching the game and saw that. Cherry is a character and has never really had control of his mouth. In fairness his support of the veterans is commendable, but what he said was so wrong. He started by saying that walking in downtown Toronto he never even saw a poppy, he then done his bit about people coming to the land of milkand honey and can't even put a couple of dollars in the can for a poppy. Even where I live walking around the Malls there is a very obvious lack of poppy wearers, but it is not a requirement.Frankly he will be no great miss, like his poppy statements his antiquarian ideas about hockey have also had their day.

annushorribilis III
53 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

I was watching the game and saw that. Cherry is a character and has never really had control of his mouth. In fairness his support of the veterans is commendable, but what he said was so wrong. He started by saying that walking in downtown Toronto he never even saw a poppy, he then done his bit about people coming to the land of milkand honey and can't even put a couple of dollars in the can for a poppy. Even where I live walking around the Malls there is a very obvious lack of poppy wearers, but it is not a requirement.Frankly he will be no great miss, like his poppy statements his antiquarian ideas about hockey have also had their day.

"The Canadian Broadcast Standards Council, a national self-regulatory organisation, said on Monday it received so many complaints following the broadcast that it would no longer accept any more on the issue."

Wow. 

Stephane Grappelli
On 09/11/2019 at 15:07, Mac_fae_Gillie said:

That made me chuckle.

• 2 years later...
Dick Dastardly
5 minutes ago, Cade said:

Army cadets guarding poppy selling trays with....baguettes

:rofl:
Tesco in Lewes, East Sussex

Screenshot_2022-11-05_at_16.37.16.png

They're just loafing about

Waiting for the middle aged ultras on my Facebook to start their annual rant about people not wearing poppies ! Never fails . 

9 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

They're just loafing about

That’s actually ludicrous ! Not your comment , Just the pic 😎

Dick Dastardly
2 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

That’s actually ludicrous ! Not your comment , Just the pic 😎

I know. They should have been using a seeded batch for starters 

Just now, Dick Dastardly said:

I know. They should have been using a seeded batch for starters 

Oh you do make me laugh 😂