Edinburgh Council doesn't need Council Permission

Lovecraft

To build the Christmas Market for "residents" on the Mound

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-50187499

Yet another example of Edinburgh Council showing the only thing they care about is cash.

I bet they find away around the latest AirBNB regulations that are planned too.

Edited by Lovecraft

I think it's shite!  If I wanted tacky xmas markets I'd go to Europe.

The Jenners tree and the Norwegian one on the Mound, and if need be a few glitzy decos along Princes Street.  :thumbsup:

Biggest gripe for me is they allow the Garden of Remembrance about 30 seconds after the 11/11 before the fun fair rides and huts are put up . Money is indeed king . 

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Ray Gin said:

Couldn't care less. I have zero intention of going anywhere near Princes Street or the gardens in December anyway.

Best avoided.

2 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

I bet they find away around the latest AirBNB regulations that are planned too.

As long as they find a way to get a cut, they will.  

luckyBatistuta
57 minutes ago, gjcc said:

get a cut, here’s hoping every single one of them does🤞

I like the Christmas Market and the food & drink options on top of Waverley Market.  Nice cold, crisp evening sitting having a glühwein looking at the city all lit up, great.

Remember what a dour wee provincial place Edinburgh was?  I do.  It’s not always ideal these days but I much prefer it.

2 hours ago, gjcc said:

They like a cut. The 50 odd trees that they got rid of, which will allow them to have even more stalls at the market, maybe not as much.

The Cockburn Association keeping tabs on it, trying to hold the council accountable for allowing the trashing of public land. There are newly planted trees that will likely die because they are surrounded by scaffolding, or maybe they already slyly got rid of them. The trees were part of the planning permission for the National Galleries, which they've totally failed to do properly.

Whole thing reeks, and where does the money go? UnderBelly profiting massively, yet the council coffers are dry and we are paying more council tax. ****ers.

59 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

They like a cut. The 50 odd trees that they got rid of, which will allow them to have even more stalls at the market, maybe not as much.

I see there’s a public consultation beginning on Thursday for having bus lanes in operation 12 hours a day 7 days a week. Not sure why they are bothering with a consultation, it’s just more money spent when they decide to implement it against the views of said consultation. 

They claim it’s because journey times are 12% longer than in 2006 during peak times. Not sure if they’ve included the factors of the St James & Leith walk developments throttling traffic through a main route. 

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, gjcc said:

I see there’s a public consultation beginning on Thursday for having bus lanes in operation 12 hours a day 7 days a week. Not sure why they are bothering with a consultation, it’s just more money spent when they decide to implement it against the views of said consultation. 

They claim it’s because journey times are 12% longer than in 2006 during peak times. Not sure if they’ve included the factors of the St James & Leith walk developments throttling traffic through a main route. 

What a joke.

The bus lane times at the moment are adequate enough IMO.

Those that have raised this are part of a very small minority, namely the Cockburn Association and Old Town Community Council, who have made it their duty to oppose anything which can be seen to promote tourism or increase the number of visitors to the city. 

If you have a look on twitter, it's clearly dominated by a tiny handful of individuals but to bother the council and councillors on a constant basis around anything that they do not agree with. They've jumped on this because they lost their opportunity to moan formally via an objection to a planning application. 

That's not to say that there isn't something to be said about how Edinburgh's festivals are handled, however when the finished product is apparent yet, I find it difficult to criticise. Those who bemoan the markets at festival time rarely offer a proposed solution. 

One thing which could maybe be considered is spacing how the markets. Instead of having 6 different versions of the same 5 stalls in EPSG, why not have smaller markets at i)ESPG ii) WSPG iii) Festival Square iv)Meadows/George Sq v)Holyrood (Parliament/Park). 

39 minutes ago, Toggie88 said:

Those that have raised this are part of a very small minority, namely the Cockburn Association and Old Town Community Council, who have made it their duty to oppose anything which can be seen to promote tourism or increase the number of visitors to the city. 

If you have a look on twitter, it's clearly dominated by a tiny handful of individuals but to bother the council and councillors on a constant basis around anything that they do not agree with. They've jumped on this because they lost their opportunity to moan formally via an objection to a planning application. 

That's not to say that there isn't something to be said about how Edinburgh's festivals are handled, however when the finished product is apparent yet, I find it difficult to criticise. Those who bemoan the markets at festival time rarely offer a proposed solution. 

One thing which could maybe be considered is spacing how the markets. Instead of having 6 different versions of the same 5 stalls in EPSG, why not have smaller markets at i)ESPG ii) WSPG iii) Festival Square iv)Meadows/George Sq v)Holyrood (Parliament/Park). 

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/people/edinburghs-council-leader-demands-urgent-action-memorial-benches-discarded-during-christmas-market-construction-822582

I find it difficult to disagree the Cockburn Association on this one. Princes street garden, a lovely public space, is blighted from 3-4 months of the year for a sh**y Christmas market and the residents aren’t allowed a say?

You claim those that those who oppose the markets rarely offer a solution. Where do you suggest they pose the solutions to the council? At the public consultation events that they don’t get? 

I don’t know much about the activities of the Cockburn Association so I’ll take it on your word that they are a purposefully pernicious bunch. However, I think they’re bang on with this one. 
Why should Underbelly go largely unchecked when some ordinary residents would have to jump through hoops just to change the colour of their Front door?

Underbelly, who obviously make a very tasty profit hosting this, have put an advert out looking for VOLUNTEERS to work Hogmany! Not even offering minimum wage for workers, absolute joke. 

been here before
3 hours ago, gjcc said:

Theres already new bus lane cameras been installed on the Calder Road. Its almost like theyve decided the outcome of the consultation already.

1 hour ago, tokyowalnut said:

Underbelly, who obviously make a very tasty profit hosting this, have put an advert out looking for VOLUNTEERS to work Hogmany! Not even offering minimum wage for workers, absolute joke. 

The contract should never have been taken away from Unique Events. An Edinburgh based company made up of local workers who knew the set up for Christmas and New Year intimately having set it up in the first place. 

5 minutes ago, Tazio said:

The contract should never have been taken away from Unique Events. An Edinburgh based company made up of local workers who knew the set up for Christmas and New Year intimately having set it up in the first place. 

And the event was largely the same year on year. Compared to now, it seems to expand year on year and they appear to have a carte blanche to do so. 

luckyBatistuta
3 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

What a joke.

The bus lane times at the moment are adequate enough IMO.

This benefits myself greatly, but i still think it’s  a joke. Just an excuse to make more money from bus lane cameras and cause more congestion to justify their congestion charge.

The Real Maroonblood
17 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

This benefits myself greatly, but i still think it’s  a joke. Just an excuse to make more money from bus lane cameras and cause more congestion to justify their congestion charge.

Fair enough but a Saturday and Sunday seems a bit too far.

Shanks said no

What is Edinburgh Castle esplanade used for at this time of year? Could the market not go there?

I may be missing something obvious 

23 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Lots of NIMBY, anti-tourist rhetoric in this thread.

Not from me. That can do what they want as long as it’s under the same process and due diligence that ordinary residents are subject to. 

dobmisterdobster
7 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

Mmmm...mug of warm red wine and a hot dog masquerading as a bratwurst for £10. How do they make their money?

By ripping gullible tourists off. Some people on here don't want their money.

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Fair enough but a Saturday and Sunday seems a bit too far.

Totally agree mate, they just do not give a shit about the residents of the city, we are just pound signs to them.

2 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

100% this

31 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Totally agree mate, they just do not give a shit about the residents of the city, we are just pound signs to them.

So are the tourists though.

1 hour ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

What is Edinburgh Castle esplanade used for at this time of year? Could the market not go there?

Owned by the Government and ran by Historic Scotland.

Not enough $$$ for the council

Shanks said no
Just now, Lovecraft said:

Owned by the Government and ran by Historic Scotland.

Not enough $$$ for the council

Was about to answer it myself, owned by SG and run by HES.

and as you say not enough cash directly to the Council 

4 hours ago, gjcc said:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/people/edinburghs-council-leader-demands-urgent-action-memorial-benches-discarded-during-christmas-market-construction-822582

I find it difficult to disagree the Cockburn Association on this one. Princes street garden, a lovely public space, is blighted from 3-4 months of the year for a sh**y Christmas market and the residents aren’t allowed a say?

You claim those that those who oppose the markets rarely offer a solution. Where do you suggest they pose the solutions to the council? At the public consultation events that they don’t get? 

I don’t know much about the activities of the Cockburn Association so I’ll take it on your word that they are a purposefully pernicious bunch. However, I think they’re bang on with this one. 
Why should Underbelly go largely unchecked when some ordinary residents would have to jump through hoops just to change the colour of their Front door?

I'm not going to defend Underbelly, the council have laid out the reasons behind this case, namely the timing didn't allow for something to go through the usual process and red tap - council came to a common sense solution. Can you imagine if there was no fringe festival one year because of a technical deadline, several months beforehand? People would rightly expect the council to come to a solution that would allow it to go ahead. 

However, residents do get a say, they get a say through consultations which usually happen (just not in this one case) and through lots of other avenues. They can respond directly to their own councillors (everyone has 3 or 4) or those on the relevant committee. They can attend council meetings (all meetings are open to the public), they can challenge local representatives on twitter, email the evening news. 

Ironically, this has only got the level of attention that it has because of lack of consultation. Had their been a consultation, the usual culprits (Cockburn Assoc, Old Town Community Council et al) would submit their usual responses about tour buses, noise and the silent disco. Councillors would have dismissed their concerns as irrelevant and that be it. 

Regarding the article, it's nothing but click-bait. It's literally a photo of a park bench on its side. It's also explained that the benches are being moved for a short time to prevent them from damage. Doesn't look great that one is on it's side, but they in the process of being moved - it's not as if anything malice has been done. Had the benches stayed put and some damage had occurred, the same culprits would be up in arms about why they weren't moved to a safe location. 

1 hour ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

As others have said, the council wouldn't make anything cash from it but I personally think it's a great shout. 

15 minutes ago, Toggie88 said:

I'm not going to defend Underbelly, the council have laid out the reasons behind this case, namely the timing didn't allow for something to go through the usual process and red tap - council came to a common sense solution. Can you imagine if there was no fringe festival one year because of a technical deadline, several months beforehand? People would rightly expect the council to come to a solution that would allow it to go ahead. 

However, residents do get a say, they get a say through consultations which usually happen (just not in this one case) and through lots of other avenues. They can respond directly to their own councillors (everyone has 3 or 4) or those on the relevant committee. They can attend council meetings (all meetings are open to the public), they can challenge local representatives on twitter, email the evening news. 

Ironically, this has only got the level of attention that it has because of lack of consultation. Had their been a consultation, the usual culprits (Cockburn Assoc, Old Town Community Council et al) would submit their usual responses about tour buses, noise and the silent disco. Councillors would have dismissed their concerns as irrelevant and that be it. 

Regarding the article, it's nothing but click-bait. It's literally a photo of a park bench on its side. It's also explained that the benches are being moved for a short time to prevent them from damage. Doesn't look great that one is on it's side, but they in the process of being moved - it's not as if anything malice has been done. Had the benches stayed put and some damage had occurred, the same culprits would be up in arms about why they weren't moved to a safe location. 

The only issue here is the council happily letting Underbelly eat more into public land without consultation. We've no say in how our city centre is taken over and trashed. The gardens will be a wreck after this!

If only Princes St had been pedestrianised instead of ****ing trams, all this could've been avoided and beautiful winter gardens plus xmas market could coincide.

I'll take the bairn if she really wants to go, and I'll maybe go up with the Mrs once every 2 years or so. But other than that, I have no intention of ever going or spending money there.

Took the wee one for a couple of hours last year and couldn't wait to get out. Ridiculously busy and cramped. Honestly, Edinburgh isn't suitable for so many people.

Bus lane consultation survey now available

http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/news/article/2775/bus_lane_hours_consultation_launches_in_edinburgh

As others have said why include weekends when there are fewer buses on a Saturday and even fewer on a Sunday!  Fewer workers travelling too and they don't all replicate their work journey for leisure purposes.

Bus lanes have been the cause of so much bad driving by those scared to use them when they are available. Yesterday I was driving past the Prison heading west in the available bus lane when I noticed a police car in the outside lane. He eventually passed me just before the roundabout leading to Longstone and promptly signalled left and cut in to the bus lane and then turned left towards the bus depot!

16 hours ago, tokyowalnut said:

The attitude of corporations around the world is that people will be happy to work long hours for no pay just to get their foot in the door, so let's exploit that. It's a disgrace. 

23 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Best avoided.

Why? 

You dont want £9 Eggnog or a massive Pretzel for £8.50?

I just dont get it!

14 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Why? 

I just dont get it!

Do people actually buy the shitey wooden ornaments and stuff that cost like £20? The Edinburgh Christmas markets are whole new levels of overpriced tat. Can probably find half of it in charity shops from March onwards. 

The Real Maroonblood
30 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Why? 

I just dont get it!

Probably because I’ve been to quite a few abroad and I prefer them.

34 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Probably because I’ve been to quite a few abroad and I prefer them.

I'll be nowhere near them myself.

I'm boycotting Edinburgh until post Levein!

Edited by Pans Jambo

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

I'll be nowhere near them myself.

I'm boycotting Edinburgh until post Levein!

Hopefully that’s sooner rather than later.

4 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Hopefully that’s sooner rather than later.

Well what dya know eh???

Hulaw Embra!!!!

13 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Bus lane consultation survey now available

http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/news/article/2775/bus_lane_hours_consultation_launches_in_edinburgh

As others have said why include weekends when there are fewer buses on a Saturday and even fewer on a Sunday!  Fewer workers travelling too and they don't all replicate their work journey for leisure purposes.

Bus lanes have been the cause of so much bad driving by those scared to use them when they are available. Yesterday I was driving past the Prison heading west in the available bus lane when I noticed a police car in the outside lane. He eventually passed me just before the roundabout leading to Longstone and promptly signalled left and cut in to the bus lane and then turned left towards the bus depot!

I was driving said police car and have your number!

have to agree with you I love driving in the bus lanes and seeing the reaction of the peep s in the queues to my right