Why does the sun shine,,,,,

swavkav

More in the Southern Hemisphere than it does in the northern hemisphere? As surly the northern hemisphere is closer to the sun. 

a question my 12 year old has asked, and I am scoobied with it!! 

Don't think it does, does it?

Tilt gives us seasons, Winter in Southern when Summer in the Norther, vice versa.

Closer to the equator = more sun

36 minutes ago, swavkav said:

More in the Southern Hemisphere than it does in the northern hemisphere? As surly the northern hemisphere is closer to the sun. 

The Ecliptic plane and the tilt of the earth.

Edited by Lovecraft

37 minutes ago, swavkav said:

My guess is that every place on the planet gets the same amount of sunlight as every other place, over the course of a year.

The fact that the earth is tilted 23.5 degrees out of vertical doesn't change that, although the tilt is the reason for the changing seasons.

Completely making this up but could it be that more countries in the Northern Hemisphere are closer to the North Pole than in the Southern Hemisphere are near the South Pole so it just feels that way?

59 minutes ago, swavkav said:

The coldest place on earth is in the Southern hemisphere (Antarctica).

N Lincs Jambo

Good question. Only ever been in the southern hemisphere for a week back in 1995. The skies were undoubtedly bluer and the sun did seem brighter. I was told at the time that one reason was that most of the earth’s landmass is in the north, therefore most of its industries and pollution eminates from the north, hence hazier skies and duller sunshine. 

I have no idea if there’s any truth in this.

Bridge of Djoum
3 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

Earth is furthest from the sun in Summer......

......mind blown!

Which hemispheres summer? 

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

The coldest place on earth is in the Southern hemisphere (Antarctica).

Yup, unlike the Arctic, Antarctica is roughly 6,000 ft above sea level. So when the wind chill factor is taken into account it can drop well below -100°C. 

13 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

......mind blown!

Also weird but true. However when you take into account the massive distance between the Earth and Sun in general, the yearly change is so small as to be practically insignificant. 

2 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

......mind blown!

I think it is because the sun is higher in sky longer, meaning more sun actually reaches the ground.

Thanks all for replying, seems I missed part of the question out, ( bad dad, yes I know!!) 

part 2 of the question why is the Southern  hemisphere hotter ( temperature wise) than the northern hemisphere?   

annushorribilis III
8 minutes ago, swavkav said:

Thanks all for replying, seems I missed part of the question out, ( bad dad, yes I know!!) 

part 2 of the question why is the Southern  hemisphere hotter ( temperature wise) than the northern hemisphere?   

Look at the Pacific Ocean and the immense size of it  : it absorbs the suns rays ,  imagine it as a giant radiator, it's linked to more sun, more warming of the southern oceans which are larger than the northern oceans. 

El Nino in the S Pacific. Not sure the causes for this are known even now but it gets particularly warm there. 

A Boy Named Crow

My understanding* is that everywhere on earth gets the same amount of daylight, over the course of the year. Your question is therefore, why is it less cloudy in the Southern Hemisphere. 
I think the answer might lie in the fact that much of the southern (rubbishy) end of the Southern Hemisphere is ocean, so the rubbishy weather goes unnoticed, where as Northern Europe, Canada, Northern Asia etc have people there going, man  this is gloomy!

Sydney has as “Mediterranean” climate, which in terms of sunshine, is probably about on par with the Med countries.

* My understanding is that of someone who took Modern Studies at Standard Grade, not been in a Geography class since I was 13. Believe me at your peril!

1 hour ago, swavkav said:

Water absorbs, and retains, heat better than land.  The southern hemisphere has more water than the northern hemisphere, so the south has warmer temperatures than the north.

The driest place on the planet is also in Antarctica.....

.....mind blown........

.....have I mentioned I'm a qualified Geography teacher...... 

22 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

The driest place on the planet is also in Antarctica.....

.....mind blown........

.....have I mentioned I'm a qualified Geography teacher...... 

New one to me too!

No rain for 2 million years  :wow: 

https://www.universetoday.com/15031/driest-place-on-earth/

Edited by Ray Gin

John Gentleman
On 30/10/2019 at 12:08, A Boy Named Crow said:

Sydney has as “Mediterranean” climate, which in terms of sunshine, is probably about on par with the Med countries.

* My understanding is that of someone who took Modern Studies at Standard Grade, not been in a Geography class since I was 13. Believe me at your peril!

Sydney and Brisbane experience a sub-tropical climate. Adelaide and Perth are Mediterranean. Melbourne shares characteristics of both Oceanic and Mediterranean, depending on the time of day!

A Boy Named Crow
13 hours ago, John Gentleman said:

Sydney and Brisbane experience a sub-tropical climate. Adelaide and Perth are Mediterranean. Melbourne shares characteristics of both Oceanic and Mediterranean, depending on the time of day!

Yup right enough (see disclaimer in my original post).

The point still stands though, there’s more habitable land, more people etc in the northern parts of the northern hemisphere then there are in the southern part of the Southern Hemisphere. That’s got to skew the perception of each?

John Gentleman
5 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Yup right enough (see disclaimer in my original post).

The point still stands though, there’s more habitable land, more people etc in the northern parts of the northern hemisphere then there are in the southern part of the Southern Hemisphere. That’s got to skew the perception of each?

Absolutely