Dementia in football ( Gordon McQueen and Denis Law diagnosed )

Ray Gin

I’m really not sure this can be linked to his football career and heading the ball. He’s an 81 year old old man now and old people sadly develop this horrible disease. 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ray Gin

• Bauld

• John Findlay

• Mikey1874

Just now, Tazio said:

I’m really not sure this can be linked to his football career and heading the ball. He’s an 81 year old old man now and old people sadly develop this horrible disease. 

I agree it’s not possible to directly link it but ex footballers seem to have a statistically significantly higher rate of dementia. 

1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

I agree it’s not possible to directly link it but ex footballers seem to have a statistically significantly higher rate of dementia. 

That certainly can’t be argued. Ever since it started being reported I’ve thought about it when you see players like Berra who are lauded for their willingness and ability to header anything that comes their way. 

Do modern footballs pose the same risk as the things back in the 50's - 00's?

Modern footballs are akin to fly aways these days compared to what they were. 

16 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

The balls are lighter but are moving a lot faster I’d say so it probably balances out to the same impacts. 

I believe that dementia was always there but that people in general are living to a much older age and so the signs are now more prevalent with older men, however statistically women are still more likely than men to suffer from it according to the Alzheimer's Association.   Heading a leather bound pig's bladder did not help, of course.

10 hours ago, willie wallace said:

Just showed Dennis Law scoring against England at Hampden In 1966(ouch).

I was at the game and remember it well.Typical Law header from a Willie Johnston corner.Bobby Moore standing watching😊

I was behind that goal that day. It was my first visit to Hampden with my old dad. The atmosphere blew me away!

4 hours ago, davemclaren said:

I think it's 3 times more likely for outfield players.

Goalkeepers are the same statistically as your average person.

4 hours ago, Tazio said:

The balls are lighter but are moving a lot faster I’d say so it probably balances out to the same impacts. 

Again, I need to say I think because I'm sure I heard it being discussed on radio, but the ball pressure is much the same and the impact of the brain moving within the skull is no different nowadays.

That goal at Hampdrn 55 years ago is the best example of a goal from a corner that you will ever see. No powering header from a central defender (six foot two, eyes of blue has that distinction TWICE). ****ing memories!!!

I'm not sure what we are meant to make of this. People are living longer and thus are dynig of other things. My father has never headed a football in his life, is 81 same as Law, and has vascular dementia. His parents never had it but then they both died due to smoking well before they hit their 80s...At the end of the day the NHS may not be fantastic but it is there to look after people who get ill, by whatever means, choices or circumstances. People here including footballers with dementia have it far better than most everyone else in every other country in the World. It seems a lot of the chatter about footballers is because they were paid less than the ones today? Seems strange to even consider that modern footballers or even the FA might owe some sort of NIC- style duty of care to the guys who did their job 40 years ago...

On 20/08/2021 at 02:07, Cruyff said:

See page 1