Glen Whelan

Old Gray Badger

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, Cruyff Turn said:

It’s a shame that only 4 players have got passmarks this season out of a squad of 30 players, I.e. Smith, Hickey, Whelan and big Uche.

Whelan and Uche have carried us to wins over Hibs and Aberdeen. 

Yeah the “reserves” haven’t stepped up to tie down a first team place even with everyone fit, apart from Halkett and Hickey.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Cruyff Turn

• Morgan

• Weakened Offender

5 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Yeah the “reserves” haven’t stepped up to tie down a first team place even with everyone fit, apart from Halkett and Hickey.

Halketts not been as consistent as the others tbf, better than Berra though, so in that respect I suppose he’d be first choice.

He needs to improve a bit to be the long term answer at Centerhalf. 

He’s certainly decent on the ball but he’s not very big and gets bullied a bit, see Cosgrove v Aberdeen. Whereas Berra’s the complete opposite, never lost an aerial dual, but couldn’t pass water. 

1 hour ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Halketts not been as consistent as the others tbf, better than Berra though, so in that respect I suppose he’d be first choice.

He needs to improve a bit to be the long term answer at Centerhalf. 

He’s certainly decent on the ball but he’s not very big and gets bullied a bit, see Cosgrove v Aberdeen. Whereas Berra’s the complete opposite, never lost an aerial dual, but couldn’t pass water. 

Halkett scores goals, some crucial, which in this current team is unheard of

41 minutes ago, kila said:

Halkett scores goals, some crucial, which in this current team is unheard of

He certainly contributes at the other end, still unconvinced with his defending abilities however. 

• 1 month later...
Guest ToqueJambo

A proper football player. It's actually embarrassing he joined when we're playing so shite and he had to experience some of the defeats we've had. With the big players back he should get even better for us.

On 17/10/2019 at 08:47, Cruyff Turn said:

He certainly contributes at the other end, still unconvinced with his defending abilities however. 

I agree, leaked a lot less goals when Smith was CB.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
7 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

A proper football player. It's actually embarrassing he joined when we're playing so shite and he had to experience some of the defeats we've had. With the big players back he should get even better for us.

Just thinking that myself. Him and Naismith with Haring and Walker could be a beautiful thing 

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, Sir Gio said:

Just thinking that myself. Him and Naismith with Haring and Walker could be a beautiful thing 

With Halkett and Souttar behind flanked by Smith and Hickey, and a choice of Uche or Washington up front. One day, one day...

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

With Halkett and Souttar behind flanked by Smith and Hickey, and a choice of Uche or Washington up front. One day, one day...

A quality signing on the wing, Scottish Cup would not be a forlorn prospect 

Weakened Offender
On 16/10/2019 at 23:33, Cruyff Turn said:

It’s a shame that only 4 players have got passmarks this season out of a squad of 30 players, I.e. Smith, Hickey, Whelan and big Uche.

Whelan and Uche have carried us to wins over Hibs and Aberdeen. 

I'm slightly underwhelmed by Whelan. Don't think he's brought that much to the table. Couple of decent games, that's it. 

7 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Aye, and with our luck lately it would only be, one day...😉

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Weakened Offender said:

I'm slightly underwhelmed by Whelan. Don't think he's brought that much to the table. Couple of decent games, that's it. 

He's not the game changing type of player. He's the type to win and keep the ball and funnel it to the players who make things happen. Do the simple things well and be a midfield general basically. All, or most, of our best attackers and midfielders have been injured while he's been here so we should really see his value when everyone's back, or Naismith and Walker at least.

Weakened Offender
1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

He's not the game changing type of player. He's the type to win and keep the ball and funnel it to the players who make things happen. Do the simple things well and be a midfield general basically. All, or most, of our best attackers and midfielders have been injured while he's been here so we should really see his value when everyone's back, or Naismith and Walker at least.

I agree he will be a better player once our key men are back from injury but I imagine most of our other players will be too. 

And there was me thinking he was still injured.  I really do need to keep up.  I tried to put up a big injury chart in the hoose but didn't have a big enough wall.

2 minutes ago, H2 said:

He's been a standout, one of the top 10 players in the SPFL.

Please you have just made me burst my sides with laughter

He has been okay and that's it

3 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Name nine that are better?

:wink: 

Just now, CJGJ said:

I hope you don't have to wait too long for the ambulance.

Your opinion, didn't even edge a smile.

10 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

That is not even a difficult task..Between them Celtic and Rangers have a dozen at least

Can't be that easy, they didn't appear in the reply!

Just now, indianajones said:

Probaby our best player this season. 

Within the context of injuries we’ve had, I think that’s a pretty fair comment.  :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, Morgan said:

Within the context of injuries we’ve had, I think that’s a pretty fair comment.  :thumbsup:

Mr. Naismith comes close with only 140 odd minutes of football this season. 

Says a lot about this season to be honest! 

4 minutes ago, H2 said:

Can't be that easy, they didn't appear in the reply!

I thought it was so obvious..no one can really be serious about him in the top 10 based on his performances for us.

You really don't need a list do you..I'll not even mention Rangers

Forrest, Edouard, Rogic, Ntcham, Christie, McGregor, ..there are at least another 3 before I even have to consider it

1 minute ago, indianajones said:

Mr. Naismith comes close with only 140 odd minutes of football this season. 

Says a lot about this season to be honest! 

Sure does, Indy.  👍

37 minutes ago, H2 said:

He's been a standout, one of the top 10 players in the SPFL.

Indeed. Some people just don’t recognise top players if they aren’t forwards.

1 hour ago, Weakened Offender said:

:rofl:

2 minutes ago, Dunks said:

:rofl:

Staggering, isn’t it? Still... it’s “healthy” to debate things, even when there’s nothing to debate. :lol: 

You can see his class and quality are a cut above many in the SPFL.

Let's hope we can keep him fit as a settled side with Whealen, Haring, Walker and Naismith would get us back up the table. 

Weakened Offender
12 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Staggering, isn’t it? Still... it’s “healthy” to debate things, even when there’s nothing to debate. :lol: 

If he's lived up to your expectations then I am pleased for you. I've watched every game he's played in, nothing much to get excited about. 

1 minute ago, Weakened Offender said:

If he's lived up to your expectations then I am pleased for you. I've watched every game he's played in, nothing much to get excited about. 

You’re in for a long and rough life as a Hearts supporter if you don’t appreciate how good a payer Whelan is.

Weakened Offender
1 minute ago, DH1986 said:

You’re in for a long and rough life as a Hearts supporter if you don’t appreciate how good a payer Whelan is.

I'm in my 50s, it's never been easy. 

I have watched every match he's played in for Hearts bar one. I haven't seen the player described on this thread. I hope I do though. 

5 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

I like Whelan but there is no way he’s been better for us this season than Michael Smith 

Smith has been excellent for us. I’m not going to compare the two, just as I didn’t want to compare Zaliukas and Berra, or Levein and MacKay etc. 

Whelan however, is an absolute joy to watch. He barely misses a beat. Makes the game look really simple because he just sees things that others do not.

You know your football, and I am not wanting to patronise anyone who isn’t just being a dick, so that includes @Weakened Offender too, but you must see what he does and what he brings? It’s something we haven’t seen in a maroon shirt since... what?... Hartley? Salvatori? Aguiar? I don’t know... probably Hartley for me, but he’s a lot better at the deeper role than he was... I am undoubtedly forgetting someone in that role, because I am now thinking we’ve not seen someone play that role like he does since Salvatori! 🤭

1 minute ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Smith has been excellent for us. I’m not going to compare the two, just as I didn’t want to compare Zaliukas and Berra, or Levein and MacKay etc. 

Whelan however, is an absolute joy to watch. He barely misses a beat. Makes the game look really simple because he just sees things that others do not.

You know your football, and I am not wanting to patronise anyone who isn’t just being a dick, so that includes @Weakened Offender too, but you must see what he does and what he brings? It’s something we haven’t seen in a maroon shirt since... what?... Hartley? Salvatori? Aguiar? I don’t know... probably Hartley for me, but he’s a lot better at the deeper role than he was... I am undoubtedly forgetting someone in that role, because I am now thinking we’ve not seen someone play that role like he does since Salvatori! 🤭

I’m not sure I’ve explained myself . Whelan is a class act , a joy to watch and will hopefully stay one more season . To get a player of his quality is a coup . 
I just can’t see past Smith as our best player so far this season though. 
Id say Whelans comparable to Aguiar. 
I can’t wait to see him and Naismith in the same team if just to watch the two of them verbally batter the referee 😂

3 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

That’s a very polite way of telling us you’re clueless.

7 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

I’m not sure I’ve explained myself . Whelan is a class act , a joy to watch and will hopefully stay one more season . To get a player of his quality is a coup . 
I just can’t see past Smith as our best player so far this season though. 
Id say Whelans comparable to Aguiar. 
I can’t wait to see him and Naismith in the same team if just to watch the two of them verbally batter the referee 😂

Whelan and Naismith together for an extended period is points on the board. Desperate to see that.

4 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Whelan and Naismith together for an extended period is points on the board. Desperate to see that.

Oh yes oh yes