Double standards?

blondejamtart

blondejamtart

Following on from another thread about a poster's teenage daughter going off on holiday with a friend's family, it got me thinking.

Why, in this day and age, do we still seem to have that double standard where it's seen as all right for a lad to sleep around, but a girl who does the same is seen as a right little ******* (or worse).

It's the 21st century, after all, so why should that double standard still exist?

I'd be particularly interested to hear what all you dads out there think - would you be quite happy for your teenage son to go off on a lads' holiday abroad, knowing full well that he's probably going to sow his wild oats (for want of a better phrase), but would you then be up in arms if your teenage daughter wanted to do the same?

I'm not making any judgements or criticisms here - just interested to see what folk think.

Nothing major to add as I agree with your sentiments. What's good for one gender is good for the other and all that pish.

what I will say, though, and off on a wee tangent, isn't it ironic that it's females calling other females derogatory names that seems to be more common? I don't often hear guys putting females down, whereas I quite often hear females bitching about that sort of thing.

Following on from another thread about a poster's teenage daughter going off on holiday with a friend's family, it got me thinking.

Why, in this day and age, do we still seem to have that double standard where it's seen as all right for a lad to sleep around, but a girl who does the same is seen as a right little ******* (or worse).

It's the 21st century, after all, so why should that double standard still exist?

I'd be particularly interested to hear what all you dads out there think - would you be quite happy for your teenage son to go off on a lads' holiday abroad, knowing full well that he's probably going to sow his wild oats (for want of a better phrase), but would you then be up in arms if your teenage daughter wanted to do the same?

I'm not making any judgements or criticisms here - just interested to see what folk think.

I have to agree on the Double Standards thing BJT...But, I have a Daughter (Okay she's only 9) and I have a Son who is 20 months...I would Worry less about my Son than I would my Daughter...I certainly don't love him any less, Just as a Dad, There are more worries about having a Daughter,IMHO!!

With a Son you only have 1 P**** to worry about, With Your Daughter, there's Hundreds!!I know that doesn't help, BUT, I'm panicing already about these things!! :eek:

Stuart Lyon

It is hard to change the ingrained, hypocritical views of us men. Despite the sexual revolution of the swinging 60s women who are known to enjoy a number of partners are still regarded as 'sluts'. I think that a lot of the time guys views are based on perceptions and macho talk by their peers who claim to have knowledge of a girl's/women's sexual habits. I bet you that the vast majority of girls who are branded as sluts don't deserve it. There will probably be a bit of it due to a girl/woman rejecting a guy's advances!

Blokes cant get pregnant. thats the difference I'm afraid.

I think the reason us dads are a wee bit more protective over our girls is simply down to the fact more girls are victims of sex crime and are more likely to be raped, abused and so on. It's rare, but nevertheless the crime figures speak for themselves.

They can also get pregnant which is also a concern.

doctor jambo

Because in general women dont mind about a mans sexual past, as long as it is in their past

As men we find it difficult to imagine our ladies being pumped by another man

The man is a giver, it is good to give

The women are, and always will be receivers- they have had, erm, someones man fat in them, and frankly the thought is minging

Also as dads we KNOW what we used to be like and therefore fear for our duaghters

If women had the same sexual appetite as men no-one would ever get work done, as you would go into work, see the first reasonably attractive person (or least ugly, or just present in some cases) and retire to the stationary cupboard

blondejamtart

Some interesting replies there, and I can see where most of you are coming from, to be honest.

Ok then, hypothetically speaking, and try to be objective here, let's say everything was completely consensual and there was no fear of pregnancy or disease, would you all still feel the same way? Just curious.....

coppercrutch

If a man gets called a slut he doesn't give a flying ****.

If a woman gets called a slut she will go mental.

Even if both of them have ****ed the same number of people...

I think that is the main difference. Of course there is a stigma attached to birds that like boab a bit too much. However the honest birds out there who just admit they like a bit of the boab don't get abuse anywhere near as tight IMO.

What annoys me personally about birds is when you know they have ****ed half a town and they still deny being a slut !! They know they are a slut, everyone else knows they are a slut - so why deny it ?!!

If the right precautions have been taken there is little to worry about. Who cares.....

Ibrahim Tall

Exactly what i was about to say, far less likely to get raped or taken advantage of aswell.

Ray Winstone

Get back to the dishes woman - leave the thinking to us men.

;)

I have three sons.

They are taught to respect women and that women and men are equal, if distinct.

I am very, very glad that I have three sons.

John Findlay

The double standards exist pure and simply as it is seen as a rites of passage for a young man(16 upwards) to get his nat king cole. Double standards are rife but, on the other hand there are women out there who havent helped their cause as we both know there are women who consider abortion as a form of contraception.

John

blondejamtart
The double standards exist pure and simply as it is seen as a rites of passage for a young man(16 upwards) to get his nat king cole. Double standards are rife but, on the other hand there are women out there who havent helped their cause as we both know there are women who consider abortion as a form of contraception.

John

I agree completely on your last point there, JF, and to be honest, I often feel that my own sex don't do themselves any favours in this respect. Don't get wrong, I'm not condoning (nor condemning, for that matter) promiscuity, but the double standards of the whole thing do annoy me.

I've got a son and a daughter and, hand on heart, I've done my best to bring them both up in the same manner.

Maybe I'm generalising here, and I do try not to, but I do believe it is often a "dad" issue - that's it's ok for lads to sleep around, as long as it's not their daughter they're sleeping with!

John Findlay
I agree completely on your last point there, JF, and to be honest, I often feel that my own sex don't do themselves any favours in this respect. Don't get wrong, I'm not condoning (nor condemning, for that matter) promiscuity, but the double standards of the whole thing do annoy me.

I've got a son and a daughter and, hand on heart, I've done my best to bring them both up in the same manner.

Maybe I'm generalising here, and I do try not to, but I do believe it is often a "dad" issue - that's it's ok for lads to sleep around, as long as it's not their daughter they're sleeping with!

You have very valid points.

Despite the quote I posted from my father on another thread. I was brought up to respect women and not treat them as a piece of meat. As, taught by my father.

With my first marriage I met my ex wife in 1980(December). We were married in May 1983. The first time we had sex was on our wedding night. MY ex-wife did not believe in sex before marriage. I respected her wishes. I respected her wishes because I loved her. That is another thing. To may people mistake sex for love.

John

i've got tickets of your before and your lassies quite good looking lol,

as a youngster, the word slag is used often when a lassie has been around a bit, and when it's a laddie we have competitions *not that i've done it yet* :P

if the sex is consented then i don't see a problem if not then someones in the wrong,

doctor jambo

It needs to be looked at in the context of sexual "power"

Women hold all the cards with regards to sexula power in this country

They decide if they do/do not want sex

That gives them a greater responsibility

They also, no matter what anyone tells you view sex differently

They have an emotional investment in sex- men dont

A clear example of this is what happens if a woman in a relationship goes out on the town , gets wasted and wakes up with a man, and finds they have had sex but cannot really remember it

She is, fairly often going to be really upset about this and will sometimes accuse the guy of rape

If a gut in a realtionship does the same, he will, more than likely laugh it off with his mates- rape never even enters his mind- even though he is equally unable to consent

With power comes responsibility, and when that responsibility is ignored or abused it is little wonder that name calling (especially by their own gender) ensues

NOte- this in no way advocates rape or sexual assault, but merely observations on gender attitudes

Oh this reminds me of when I was growing up,my brothers girlfriends always got to sleep in his room,my twin sister and I's boyfriends always had to sleep on the sofa,infact ive been married 14 years and my husband still sleeps on the sofa if we are staying at my parents lol

MackaysCentreSpot

Are you saying that you would be happy having a son of yours going around getting lassies pregnant.....remember thats someone else daughter....but hey thats ok...........shes not mine.

Oh...........blokes can get STD's as well you know.

Say What Again

I think more girls should sleep around. Especially those in the Craigentinny/Mountcastle/Northfield area - or those up town - or any in Spain during the last 2 weeks of August.

:)

Archived