Spitting Image

Pans Jambo

Mixed feeling about this.

Yes, it was biting satire but it also made these vile human beings into household names and jolly figures of fun good for a laugh instead of the evil bassas they truly were.

6 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Great news if true....  My old mother used to run home from the church on a Sunday night just to catch the show...   :)

2 hours ago, Peebo said:

Intrigued to see how they present a satirical version of Trump. Or Johnson. 

How can you out-satire Trump?

"It 'll be great.".....

Shanks said no
10 hours ago, Victorian said:

Any excuse to show this genius.

As I have a white South African sister-in-law I particularly appreciate this song. 

Doctor FinnBarr
8 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

As I have a white South African sister-in-law I particularly appreciate this song. 

Not even listened but does the words "we're a bunch of ignorant *******s" come into it?

Shanks said no
6 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Not even listened but does the words "we're a bunch of ignorant *******s" come into it?

arrogant

A Boy Named Crow

Hmmm, it seems they are going a bit “Only An Excuse” on us, focussing only on the big names. It used to be really broad, making fun of the daft traits of even relatively obscure politicians. If what I’ve read is true, this will stick to the big global names, Boris, Trump, Putin, Kim, Zuckerberg  etc - the Old Firm to it’s OAE!

Edited by A Boy Named Crow

41 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

With no sense of humour.

Oh and someone emigrated to Paris.

I bought it . It's the Beside to the chicken song.

7 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Hmmm, it seems they are going a bit “Only An Excuse” on us, focussing only on the big names. It used to be really broad, making fun of the daft traits of even relatively obscure politicians. If what I’ve read is true, this will stick to the big global names, Boris, Trump, Putin, Kim, Zuckerberg  etc - the Old Firm to it’s OAE!

They'll have to have the Royal's in it.

The Queen having a meeting/s with Boris, Corbyn & Trump would be a story line.

I have this picture in my head of a corgi & Trump's hair, I'll let you use your own imagination.

22 hours ago, Victorian said:

Any excuse to show this genius.

I watched this when first broadcast, around 1984. Brilliant! What artist is it based on? UB40 perhaps?I heard someone say on Radio 5 last night that the new show is going to be US orientated, which is somewhat disappointing for me. I think there’s definitely enough going on in the World to justify its return but I wish it catered for its original U.K. market. There’s been loads of chat amongst 40 somethings and above in my office in the last few months that the time is right to bring it back.

37 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

I watched this when first broadcast, around 1984. Brilliant! What artist is it based on? UB40 perhaps?I heard someone say on Radio 5 last night that the new show is going to be US orientated, which is somewhat disappointing for me. I think there’s definitely enough going on in the World to justify its return but I wish it catered for its original U.K. market. There’s been loads of chat amongst 40 somethings and above in my office in the last few months that the time is right to bring it back.

I think it was an original tune.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%27ve_Never_Met_A_Nice_South_African

33 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I know it was an original tune so parody is probably the wrong choice of word. But the style of it seems to be loosely based on UB40, who were at the peak of their popularity at the time.

2 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

I watched this when first broadcast, around 1984. Brilliant! What artist is it based on? UB40 perhaps?

I think it was their own. Certainly not UB40 in any case, I don't think UB40 have ever written a shopping list, never mind a song.

Just now, IronJambo said:

I think it was their own. Certainly not UB40 in any case, I don't think UB40 have ever written a shopping list, never mind a song.

See my later post. It was definitely self penned and I knew if at the time. But I thought the musical style was loosely UB40 ish.

Just now, SwindonJambo said:

See my later post. It was definitely self penned and I knew if at the time. But I thought the musical style was loosely UB40 ish.

Yeah I read your post afterwards and nearly deleted mine. I left it because I figured half my post still stood as I'm not sure it's possible to copy a band of copycats. 

5 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Yeah I read your post afterwards and nearly deleted mine. I left it because I figured half my post still stood as I'm not sure it's possible to copy a band of copycats. 

Copycatting is rife amongst more serious musical acts. There was good chat about a 3 stage one on Doton Adebayo’s show on Radio 5 last night. Bands sometimes sneakily try to disguise the source. 

The Beatles’ album track Dear Prudence somehow morphed into ELO’s debut single 10538 Overture in 1972 (Jeff Lynne was a Beatles  fan), and roll on to 1995 and Paul Weller heavily sampled 10538 for his hit single ChangingMan. And yet no-one sued as far as I know. 

Worse still, older bands often use stuff from their own historic hey day and try to dress it up as something new. No possible court case there!

John Gentleman
On 29/09/2019 at 02:11, Peebo said:

Intrigued to see how they present a satirical version of Trump. Or Johnson. 

In the OP's Guardian link there's a mock-up of Trump. Or should that be 'mop-up'? I think they've bestowed him with much more hair than he's entitled to.

I used to love it, even though most of the satire was above my head at that age.

One hell of a list of voice actors that was on it.  Like a who's who of British comedy.

On 29/09/2019 at 12:16, SwindonJambo said:

Couldn't pick a better time for its return

It won't be anywhere near as good as it once was. 

On 28/09/2019 at 20:29, hueyview said:

"It 'll be great.".....

"It'll be great, trust me. It was on TV before and everyone loved it. Just fantastic. The best there's ever been - you should have seen this thing! Incredible! When it went off air it was very sad. A very bad decision by very bad people. But when it's back it will be huge, believe me. And Mexico is going to pay for it."

On 29/09/2019 at 12:16, SwindonJambo said:

I thought its success was down to having a strong right-wing government in power. It seems to make satire easier. If you listen to Dead Ringers on Radio 4, you'll know that there's a lot of good stuff based mainly on the UK: Huw Edwards or John Humphrys where Spitting Image did Trevor McDonald; quite a few recent/current cabinet members, Corbyn, McDonnell and they create good comic characters for some of them (such as David Davis, the Brexit Bulldog).

Remember that the recurring characters included was Ronald Reagan with his creosote hair & Nancy with her facelifts as well as Pope John-Paul II. I guess media didn't stretch as far globally then as it does now but they didn't keep it within these shores.

One of my favourite bits of Spitting Image was the giving the Queen Mother a Beryl Reid voice. Just silly.

The song reminds me more of Cool for Cats by Squeeze than it does UB40.

Edited by I P Knightley

The Real Maroonblood
On 28/09/2019 at 20:29, hueyview said:

"It 'll be great.".....

He’s bound to try and sue production company over it.

9 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

I can still recite every word to the chicken song however long it’s been since it came out.

Spring 1986. 1/3 century ago. Someone in my office spontaneously sang a bit of it today, prompted by a chat about Spitting Image’s impending return. :D 

One of my all time favourite comedy sketches was the Spitting Image one when Sylvester Stallone was divorcing Brigitte Nielsen and sued her to get her fake tits back on the grounds that he had paid for them. The judge refused him custody but granted access at week-ends! Genius.