Berra to keep giving 100%

Dr. Bapswent

Dr. Bapswent

http://www.heartsfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/HeartsNewsDetail/0,,10289~1335418,00.html

Captain unmoved by speculation

Captain Christophe Berra today stressed he will continue to give 100 per cent to Hearts despite speculation linking him with a move away from Tynecastle.

Recent newspaper reports have claimed that the Scotland defender is attracting interest from both Rangers and Wolves. Such situations are nothing new to the Jambos skipper, however, and he remains unfazed by the stories.

Article continues

Advertisement

"I'm a Hearts player at the moment and whoever I play for in my career I will always give 100 per cent," he said.

"I don't know what the future holds for me and it will be up to Mr Romanov if he wants to sell me or not. If I am here, I want to keep improving and developing as a footballer.

"There is always speculation surrounding players. It has happened to me in the past and I've always dealt with it."

The centre-half was quick to refute claims he was poised for crisis talks over his future with his parents last week, saying: "I speak to my parents on a daily basis so to say I was having crucial talks with them was not true."

Christophe was disappointed Stephen Frail was not at the Football Academy for the start of pre-season training but was equally philosophical about that situation.

He said: "He had a difficult job here and did it as best he could and got some great results.

"It is disappointing but these things happen in football and it's the nature of the game."

The captain put all the uncertainty over the managerial position to the back of his mind as he focused on his return pre-season training.

The players reported back for duty on Wednesday and have been assessed by the club's physiotherapy and fitness staff.

The training will step up a notch today after the weekend and Christophe added: "Hopefully we will get a manager in soon and he can bring players in and influence his style on the team.

"You can't really sign players without having a manager so that has to be a priority. If we can get stability on and off the pitch then I'm sure we can get back to the heights where we were a couple of years ago.

"Hearts is a great club and has developed a lot of good players. Given the right structure I'm sure that will continue to happen.

"I am sure the club is working hard to get a new manager and hopefully that will happen shortly and we can get a good pre-season in.

"I am glad to be back training to get back fit again. I tried to keep myself as fit as possible during the holidays but there's a lot of hard work ahead in the next few weeks and it's something we'll all have to get through."

You missed the quote where Berra stated that he hoped pre-season was "100 times better than last season"

Quite obvious how bad it was last season, and this seasons pre-season has started without our only remaining "coach" in attendance

Probably still means it was better than whatever Malofeev was doing though...

alwaysthereinspirit

Oh good. He's still gonna give 100%. Pretty sure that'll keep us in the top 6 come May 2009. British players or any player with some pride is not our issue. It's the lazy bar stewards who know they cant be fired that's the issue. We have players at Riccarton right now giving us the finger and no manager to stop them. Does that sound right. Mad has turned his back on us. He owns us lock,stock and barrel and answers to no one. We are f@#$ed.

rudi must stay

'Given the right structure i'm sure that will continue to happen'

sly dig at us there from him. Well said Berra

Oh good. He's still gonna give 100%. Pretty sure that'll keep us in the top 6 come May 2009. British players or any player with some pride is not our issue. It's the lazy bar stewards who know they cant be fired that's the issue. We have players at Riccarton right now giving us the finger and no manager to stop them. Does that sound right. Mad has turned his back on us. He owns us lock,stock and barrel and answers to no one. We are f@#$ed.

Good for Berra.

He is one of about half a dozen of our players from last season who can hold their heads up as having put in full effort for the team. And he sounds ready to do it again if he doesn't manage to get his move.

Unfortunately for us it is him and the other half dozen 'triers' who are less likely to remain at the club than the prima donnas, mercenaries and Kaunees.

Archived