• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cruyff Turn

• LeftBack

• Debut 4

• We_are_the_Hearts

6 hours ago, Angus Ogg said:

For me he’s by far the best player in our squad, I think we should offer the guy an extension to his contract. Brilliant signing 

Me too, offer to extend by another year and if he's still doing the business this time next year, offer to extend again.

Samuel Camazzola
6 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

05/06 was probably the strongest starting 11 I’ve seen.  The squad was also huge so seems a pretty decent comparison as it was within the “last few decades” and would piss on this current one both in terms of starting 11 and squad.  We had some decent back up players then like Pospisil, Cesny, Berra, McAllister, Tall iirc.

Having a strong starting 11 is a pretty important part of having a strong squad. If you have a large squad but a pish starting 11 it isn’t a strong squad.  At the moment we’re probably only missing Soutar and Naismith who would be definite starters every game.  Washington, Haring and Walker will likely get a fair bit game time but I don’t see them playing every week (maybe Haring depending on formation but he has to be behind Whelan if only playing one DM).  Even when everyone was fit after New Year we were still abysmal, as we have been so far this season, so it’s laughable to suggest this is the strongest squad in decades.

He and 'decent' do not go! Jamie still gives me nightmares and his performance in the 2005 Scottish Cup Semi was nothing short of abysmal. 

I think Burley quickly recognised he wasn't up to the standard an Wallace was the no. 1 back up to Takis. 

The Future's Maroon
8 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

The only way I can see Haring and Whelan both play is if we play a 3-5-2 (unless Haring has to fill in at centre half).  We were solid at the back against Hibs with a 3 (don’t know what it was tonight?) so msybe should persevere with it as we’re conceding loads when we play 4 at the back.

You’re really overstating the strength of the squad though. It’s actually not very good when you consider that when we have 3 or 4 injuries, the guys that come in aren’t good enough.  And you’re surely not suggesting it even comes close to 05/06, 97/98 or even 85/86 if you’re going back a few decades?

I think we can fit them both in, maybe Whelan in a more central, rather than defensive, midfield role?

I said as strong as, didn’t say strongest, I was careful about that comment at the time! 👍

Edited by The Future's Maroon

Understandably Hickey and Meshino got the plaudits for Sunday but Whelan  was my MotM, held us together and drove everyone forward. Last night again MotM. As others have said beside Naismith and Harring we have some midfield now. With those 3 we can pretty much put anyone around them and they’ll perform. 

Hes immense. I expected him to be solid and steady, but he can really play too and his athleticism belies his age.

Was wondering last night if Haring is back before Souttar if he may play CH until Soapy's back? Hate to say it but Berras an issue. Has been for a while now but had earned the right to play through it. Time may have come for a rest now though.

We prob need change in defence more than midfield immediately but then Haring Whelan in mid has me all lumpy panted.

Damour will come good, hes just not up to pace. Irving is pure class. Our midfield hasn't been this strong in quite some time.

8 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

05/06 was probably the strongest starting 11 I’ve seen.  The squad was also huge so seems a pretty decent comparison as it was within the “last few decades” and would piss on this current one both in terms of starting 11 and squad.  We had some decent back up players then like Pospisil, Cesny, Berra, McAllister, Tall iirc.

Having a strong starting 11 is a pretty important part of having a strong squad. If you have a large squad but a pish starting 11 it isn’t a strong squad.  At the moment we’re probably only missing Soutar and Naismith who would be definite starters every game.  Washington, Haring and Walker will likely get a fair bit game time but I don’t see them playing every week (maybe Haring depending on formation but he has to be behind Whelan if only playing one DM).  Even when everyone was fit after New Year we were still abysmal, as we have been so far this season, so it’s laughable to suggest this is the strongest squad in decades.

Hardly surprising we had 98 players in the squad... shouldn’t be hard to get a decent 11 out of that.

The thread on him signing would show more than a few up for talking shite.

Said it then, you don’t play that amount of games in the Championship for a team that gained promotion, and be idolised by that clubs fans, and not be a player that will stroll it up here.

A top player.

How’s Bryson getting on at Aberdeen, btw?

:levein_interesting:

Have to admit,I always thought he was just a bit of a midfield tough man who did all the grafting and dirty work...but the boy can play and is really a class above what we have in that position. Pity it's only a year.

8 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Who'd have thought a player who was crucial to Villa's promotion would be a good signing!!!!!!!

Got nae legs tho

Sheffield Wednesday signed on a on a free from Manchester city before they became an Arab state subsidiary. 

Played well in League one and was in the same team as Steve McLean that won promotion via the play offs in 2005.

Was sold to Stoke for £ 500k as SWFC were potless and he was obviously a player capable of playing at a higher level. Liked to have 'a dig' when getting a tackle in but great distribution. We were pleased to see him have a good long career down here.

What with McLean and ,em, Clare quite a few SWFC connections at Tynecastle these days.

8 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

A Thoroughbred versus a Clydesdale.

Having watched Whelan closely last night I think the match up v Brown won't be  the physical clash of the titans I thought it will be. I think Whelan is a smarter player than Brown - tough no doubt, but his link up play, passing and coolness I think is better than Brown. 

tartofmidlothian
55 minutes ago, Owlvisiting said:

Sheffield Wednesday signed on a on a free from Manchester city before they became an Arab state subsidiary. 

Played well in League one and was in the same team as Steve McLean that won promotion via the play offs in 2005.

Was sold to Stoke for £ 500k as SWFC were potless and he was obviously a player capable of playing at a higher level. Liked to have 'a dig' when getting a tackle in but great distribution. We were pleased to see him have a good long career down here.

What with McLean and ,em, Clare quite a few SWFC connections at Tynecastle these days.

What's your opinion on Clare, Owl? Seen much of him before he signed for us? Do you believe the stories about EPL teams looking at him?

5 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Hes immense. I expected him to be solid and steady, but he can really play too and his athleticism belies his age.

Was wondering last night if Haring is back before Souttar if he may play CH until Soapy's back? Hate to say it but Berras an issue. Has been for a while now but had earned the right to play through it. Time may have come for a rest now though.

We prob need change in defence more than midfield immediately but then Haring Whelan in mid has me all lumpy panted.

Damour will come good, hes just not up to pace. Irving is pure class. Our midfield hasn't been this strong in quite some time.

Just spat My tea out

3 hours ago, tartofmidlothian said:

What's your opinion on Clare, Owl? Seen much of him before he signed for us? Do you believe the stories about EPL teams looking at him?

Looked a decent prospect. Could pass, dribble etc. Thought he'd make a number 10 given time and hard work. But it just hasn't happened yet for him at Tynecastle. He looks lost, unsure of his role and maybe not as good as he thinks he is. EPL clubs looking at him, nah, that was his agent bigging up his ego. Shaun Flair indeed.

Michael Stewart's weekly hatchet job won't be helping either.

Edited by Owlvisiting
Spelling

Bazzas right boot
14 hours ago, Baxfee said:

I’m looking forward to the meeting of Whelan and brown. That’ll be tasty 

With Naismith. 

Broony will get his bawz booted. 

Serious question... Forgetting Brown's history... Player for player, who would you objectively like to be at the heart of our midfield? For me it has to Dancing on the ceiling... 

I think him and Naismith are truly different class to a lot of the players in the SPL right now and its wonderful they are ours. 

On 23/09/2019 at 12:38, Sir Gio said:

Actually allowed Hibs their goal. Took his foot out as Mallan approached, fearful of a 2nd yellow, had he not been booked, he would have taken Mallan out

It was actually Vela he pulled of tackling, who then passed to Mallan. You're right though, if he wasn't already on a yellow he'd have probably sent Vela into orbit!

Just now, Barack said:

Is it actually a serious question though?

Brown 3 or 4 years ago would be an asset. He's a liability now. Whelan is older & could play EPL football tomorrow. Brown's wee pond has finally shrunk.

Anyone outside of Celtic & probably Hibs fans, if you asked them that...if it wasn't 75% or more in favour of Whelan, I'd be astonished.

It was a serious question in terms of taking away Brown's baggage. And whelan v brown 3 years ago, id still have taken whelan. But of course we could never afforded either not least Whelan.

i think we are both agreeing. Bottom line is whelan is a proper footballer whereas brown has always been big fish in small pond, protected by refs and shown up in Europe and for Scotland. 

Just now, Barack said:

Umpteen club's of Whelan's, they've never had a bad word to say  about him (as far as I'm aware) when he moved to another team.

You only have to look at Villa fan's on Twitter when he was announced for us. Wishing he'd stayed.

Brown...not even many Hibs fans can stand him now. 

:spoton:

Guest ToqueJambo

Signed for Villa for 1m just two years ago. Like Meshino going for 900k recently and Washington for 2.5/3m three years ago, we're doing well to get these guys for free.

jack D and coke
3 hours ago, Owlvisiting said:

Looked a decent prospect. Could pass, dribble etc. Thought he'd make a number 10 given time and hard work. But it just hasn't happened yet for him at Tynecastle. He looks lost, unsure of his role and maybe not as good as he thinks he is. EPL clubs looking at him, nah, that was his agent bigging up his ego. Shaun Flair indeed.

Michael Stewart's weekly hatchet job won't be helping either.

I’ll be honest I wondered why he was coming up here if better English clubs wanted him, it didn’t make sense to me. Not sure I believed the Spurs rumours but it did all sound like a coup for us. Add in he bummed himself up a bit comparing his game to Dele Alli’s and we couldn’t wait to see him. We saw little bits of him, then little bit more, he’s not fit, he needs games, he needs a good pre-season blah blah and on and on it’s went. He went past a couple of players at Killie last season and scored a very good goal, scored a lovely goal against Livvy in a cup tie, takes a good penalty until he missed at Motherwell but that’s about it for me. He’s been pretty disappointing imo. 

Did he think he’d play more and it would be easier up here possibly and he could gain confidence before heading south again? 

Hes coming to a crucial point in his career here that’s for sure. 

Just now, jack D and coke said:

I’ll be honest I wondered why he was coming up here if better English clubs wanted him, it didn’t make sense to me. Not sure I believed the Spurs rumours but it did all sound like a coup for us. Add in he bummed himself up a bit comparing his game to Dele Alli’s and we couldn’t wait to see him. We saw little bits of him, then little bit more, he’s not fit, he needs games, he needs a good pre-season blah blah and on and on it’s went. He went past a couple of players at Killie last season and scored a very good goal, scored a lovely goal against Livvy in a cup tie, takes a good penalty until he missed at Motherwell but that’s about it for me. He’s been pretty disappointing imo. 

Did he think he’d play more and it would be easier up here possibly and he could gain confidence before heading south again? 

Hes coming to a crucial point in his career here that’s for sure. 

But back to whelan... He will be our player of the year come May. Bookmark it

jack D and coke
7 hours ago, LeftBack said:

But back to whelan... He will be our player of the year come May. Bookmark it

Oops I thought i was on the SC thread. 
Whelan looks a proper astute bit of business I’ve been very impressed. 

He is actually too good for the SPFL, way better than anything either of the arsecheeks have, feck knows how we got him but well done to whoever it was.

Some nice revisionism going on in this thread. We did not have a big squad at the beginning of 05/06. Burley had a very thin squad which is why Livi beat us in the LC. Burley had to play Jamie McAllister at LM for goodness sake! It wasn't until the January window when we got 12 players in that the squad became large. Indeed Burley had said before he left that we were not serious challengers for the league as the squad was not strong enough...

1 minute ago, Spellczech said:

Some nice revisionism going on in this thread. We did not have a big squad at the beginning of 05/06. Burley had a very thin squad which is why Livi beat us in the LC. Burley had to play Jamie McAllister at LM for goodness sake! It wasn't until the January window when we got 12 players in that the squad became large. Indeed Burley had said before he left that we were not serious challengers for the league as the squad was not strong enough...

That's right, IIRC we took a right threadbare squad over to Ireland for preseason.

We_are_the_Hearts
2 minutes ago, kila said:

Called up to the Ireland squad

Rightly so

He played very well in the last Ireland game. The reason he is here is to keep his place in the squad for the Euros!

Just now, We_are_the_Hearts said:

He played very well in the last Ireland game. The reason he is here is to keep his place in the squad for the Euros!

Exactly

3 minutes ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

Has this worked for Connor Sammon? 

We_are_the_Hearts
8 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

Has this worked for Connor Sammon? 

One is a seasoned pro with loads of ability and game knowledge, the other is a laboured lump of wood.