New TV Deal

footieman

The SPL today announced details of the biggest ever television deal in Scottish football history.

League bosses have signed a new four-year agreement with Setanta worth 125 million.

The contract, which extends the current partnership from the start of season 2010/11, will see sixty live games broadcast each year.

Lex Gold, Executive Chairman of the SPL said: "Ten years ago we spoke about delivering a brighter future for Scottish football. Today, as we look ahead to our next ten years we can do so with confidence.

"An investment on this scale, ?125 million, marks the biggest ever TV deal in Scottish football history. No commercial deal comes close to matching what has been achieved today by the SPL and Setanta Sports for our game.

"This is a step change for our clubs and will allow them to re-invest to make the Scottish game even stronger.

"We have moved forward with Setanta Sports over the past four years. We look forward to working with them to continue building and developing our league."

:rolleyes:

So whats that come down to.?100m for the Old Firm ?25m for the rest of us.

Funny I was thinking much the same.

damn, that's a good deal.

wonder what cut we'll get.

If cut up fairly each team should get about ?2.6m each a year.

If divided equally between clubs that should be around ?2.5 million a year.

However given that 90% of the games will no doubt feature the old firm, I'd imagine they will recieve a far bigger portion. Would be surprised if the rest got more than ?1million per year.

Jambof3tornado

Aye setanata will continue to force things like monday night matches onto us and rule who plays what when. Also will show all the old firm away games to not spoil their home attendances whilst showing us at home Vs falkirk on a monday night in december!!!

Better than SPhell Tv on ITV but it aint match of the day!!!

If divided equally between clubs that should be around ?2.5 million a year.

However given that 90% of the games will no doubt feature the old firm, I'd imagine they will recieve a far bigger portion. Would be surprised if the rest got more than ?1million per year.

I don't think that should matter the SPL has 12 teams so the money should be spread out fairly after that it's up to Setanta who they put on the Tv.I would not care if both the Old Firm were on every week as long as everyone got the same money.

It should be spread out evenly, but it won't be.

I thought the Old Firm recieved over 80% of TV money.

Thats just shocking if true.

Walter Kidd

Hearts up until recently held the highest audiences in Scottish games on Setanta. I'm sure we will get our fair representation.

I know we lost a lot of TV revenue for not being in the top 6.

Guest JamboRobbo

The top two get the biggest chunk of the money. So in 05/06, we got part of that.

It's up to us to be there.

this is why i posed the "how much" question... yeah if cut up fairly we'll get ?2.6mill, but i can't find any reference to how the telly cash is split.

i was looking at the wiki info as it references the changes to the voting system after the sky deal fell through. i thought the OF accepted to change tv money distribution and voting rights in order to stop them being left in their own two team league.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Premier_League

this is why i posed the "how much" question... yeah if cut up fairly we'll get ?2.6mill, but i can't find any reference to how the telly cash is split.

i was looking at the wiki info as it references the changes to the voting system after the sky deal fell through. i thought the OF accepted to change tv money distribution and voting rights in order to stop them being left in their own two team league.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Premier_League

I think the usual happened the rest of the teams caved into what the Old Firm wanted.

coppercrutch
The top two get the biggest chunk of the money. So in 05/06, we got part of that.

It's up to us to be there.

Think you are spot on with that one. And yes it is up to us to be there. Looks like Vlad requires a labotomy for that to happen though...:sad:

But as for the 'top two' I can't help but feel that fits in with the OF rather too nicely. Why not the top one, or top 3, or top 4 !! Two is rather too convienent for those disgusting tramps.

I don't know where the 80% figure came from so I may be totally wrong !

I heard that figure around 8-10 years ago (or there abouts), and I believed it then. Whether it was correct then, or now I don't know. It sounds about right though.

Suspect Device

don't know if it's still in effect, but the of tried to convince everyone else that the money split should be 40% to the OF/ 60% the rest

saying that 'the rest' got a larger share of the money.:wacko:

break that down and Sellik and der hun get 6.25 mil each per season. the rest get 1.875mil per season.

seems the best way to ensure a fair and equal league :confused:

edit - the OF may have worded it to be the top two get 40% !

I would rather have no deal that have sc*mtanta involved in our game

Even our TV rights are owned by Celtic and Rangers TV

I despise Setanta

John Findlay

12 team league. 12 way split. Sounds so simple to me. Alas two clubs from Glasgow believe they should have it all. All in the good of the Scottish game of course.

John

My guess - 30% & 30% for the biggot brothers and 40% between the other 10, something crap like that

maroonlegions

mind you you cannae beat GOING to the games that involve us eh.:rolleyes:

bean counter

So in effect for every ? a non OF team get the OF get over 3 and they complain the league is un competitive. IIRC we had the highest viewing figures last season.

So in effect for every ? a non OF team get the OF get over 3 and they complain the league is un competitive. IIRC we had the highest viewing figures last season.

Not only financially, they take promising young players from other clubs, just incase they score against them or to stop THEM scoring, leave them festering away in reserves or bench for a long time then complain the league's not competitive! They can't have it both ways!

We will still only get 3 mins of Hearts highlights and i will be

at the games so they can still stick it.

don't know if it's still in effect, but the of tried to convince everyone else that the money split should be 40% to the OF/ 60% the rest

saying that 'the rest' got a larger share of the money.:wacko:

break that down and Sellik and der hun get 6.25 mil each per season. the rest get 1.875mil per season.

seems the best way to ensure a fair and equal league :confused:

edit - the OF may have worded it to be the top two get 40% !

Its actually 32% old firm 68% the rest.

Last season 17% for Celtic

15% for Rangers

Basically the pot is split 48% between all teams then 52% depending on league position .

So each team gets 4% regardless of where they finish + a percentage depending on league position 13% for champions 4.5% for last place.

1 4.0% 13.0% 17.0% Celtic

2 4.0% 11.0% 15.0%

3 4.0% 5.5% 9.5%

4 4.0% 4.5% 8.5%

5 4.0% 4.0% 8.0%

6 4.0% 3.5% 7.5%

7 4.0% 3.0% 7.0%

8 4.0% 2.5% 6.5%

9 4.0% 2.0% 6.0%

10 4.0% 1.5% 5.5%

11 4.0% 1.0% 5.0%

12 4.0% 0.5% 4.5% Gretna

48.0% 52.0% 100.0%

Guest JamboRobbo

Not quite right. It's 32% for position 1 and 2, and 68% the rest.

:P

Agreed.

Its up to us to finish in the top two .

We`ve done before .

As you would say "give us a (real)manager" and we might do it again.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Last season 17% for Celtic

15% for Rangers

Basically the pot is split 48% between all teams then 52% depending on league position .

So each team gets 4% regardless of where they finish + a percentage depending on league position 13% for champions 4.5% for last place.

1 4.0% 13.0% 17.0% Celtic

2 4.0% 11.0% 15.0%

3 4.0% 5.5% 9.5%

4 4.0% 4.5% 8.5%

5 4.0% 4.0% 8.0%

6 4.0% 3.5% 7.5%

7 4.0% 3.0% 7.0%

8 4.0% 2.5% 6.5%

9 4.0% 2.0% 6.0%

10 4.0% 1.5% 5.5%

11 4.0% 1.0% 5.0%

12 4.0% 0.5% 4.5% Gretna

48.0% 52.0% 100.0%

So finishing 3rd could earn you around ?3m per year.

Not bad.

Guest JamboRobbo
So finishing 3rd could earn you around ?3m per year.

Not bad.

Yep. A couple of million per year more than we got previously. Which could help us run at break even if we wanted to.....

Yep. A couple of million per year more than we got previously. Which could help us run at break even if we wanted to.....

Or, for that matter, service ?30m of debt at about 6.6%

But as for the 'top two' I can't help but feel that fits in with the OF rather too nicely. Why not the top one, or top 3, or top 4 !! Two is rather too convienent for those disgusting tramps.

My thoughts exactly.... Whats so great about finishing second that earns you twice as much of a bonus as finishing the team finishing 3rd, but only 2% less than the team that wins overall??

All way too convenient. Its there for all to see that its geared up to reward the old firm.

Smoked-Glass
Hearts up until recently held the highest audiences in Scottish games on Setanta. I'm sure we will get our fair representation.

I know we lost a lot of TV revenue for not being in the top 6.

find that hard to believe with all of ireland watching rangers and celtic games.

Rememer that both halves of the old firm watch each others game as well obviously supporting whoever they are playing.

My thoughts exactly.... Whats so great about finishing second that earns you twice as much of a bonus as finishing the team finishing 3rd, but only 2% less than the team that wins overall??

All way too convenient. Its there for all to see that its geared up to reward the old firm.

You also get twice as much bonus for 11th as twelth.

If you are going to insist on an arbitrary cut off between the big payouts and smaller ones then general sporting tradition would seem to favour 3 as the magic number with significantly larger Gold, Silver and Bronze payouts for podium placings.

Personally I'd have second place receive 3/4 of the first place bonus, 3rd Place receive 3/4 of the 2nd Place bonus etc

and then share the remainder 12 ways

e.g. If the winner got a bonus of 13% the figures would work out

1st: 4.14% + 13.00% = 17.14%

2nd: 4.14% + 9.75% = 13.89%

3rd: 4.14% + 7.31% = 11.45%

4th: 4.14% + 5.48% = 9.62%

5th: 4.14% + 4.11% = 8.25%

6th: 4.14% + 3.08% = 7.22%

7th: 4.14% + 2.31% = 6.45%

8th: 4.14% + 1.74% = 5.87%

9th: 4.14% + 1.30% = 5.44%

10th: 4.14% + 0.98% = 5.11%

11th: 4.14% + 0.73% = 4.87%

12th: 4.14% + 0.55% = 4.69%

Walter Kidd
find that hard to believe with all of ireland watching rangers and celtic games.

Rememer that both halves of the old firm watch each others game as well obviously supporting whoever they are playing.

Meant to say in Scotland.

Archived