Smells You Like or That Trigger Memories.

been here before

been here before

Righto firstly Im aware this could go wrong very quickly.... but...

New unworn leather shoes.

Petrol/diesel (includes napalm in the morning before anyone else says it)

Football programmes.

The smell of the distilleries and breweries.  Always takes me back to damp foggy afternoons in the old Tynecastle when the smell seemed to hang in the low cloud.

Tar.

12 minutes ago, been here before said:

Righto firstly Im aware this could go wrong very quickly.... but...

New unworn leather shoes.

Petrol/diesel (includes napalm in the morning before anyone else says it)

Football programmes.

The smell of the distilleries and breweries.  Always takes me back to damp foggy afternoons in the old Tynecastle when the smell seemed to hang in the low cloud.

Tar.

Still get it sometimes in Tynecastle but not enough imo. That one is definitely up there for me

45 years ago I had to get 3 teeth taken out , I was knocked out by the dentist using gas , I can still smell the rubber of the mask used to give me the gas to this day , writing this just makes me smell it , ****ing horrible . 

Wood/coal burning takes me back to when heating was a fire in the house sometimes supplemented by a paraffin heater in the hall ( health and safety 😂😂

I associate The smell of a mechanics car garage with hot chocolate.  As a kid I used to go into a garage in Bonnington Road to use their vending machine- takes me right back

I loved the smell of Airfix glue.

In fact I love the smell of Evo Stick and a lot of other solvent based things. Christ knows how I didn't turn out to be a glue sniffing maniac.

Piped tobacco.  The smell wafted around the old stand when I started going in the mid to late seventies.  Loved the smell, kind of sweet.

14 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

I loved the smell of Airfix glue.

In fact I love the smell of Evo Stick and a lot of other solvent based things. Christ knows how I didn't turn out to be a glue sniffing maniac.

Loved the smell of Copydex.  Used to apply it to the back and palm of my hand, let it dry a bit, then peel it off.

1 hour ago, JimKongUno said:

The smell of my misses minge always reminds me of the days she used to give me sex 

It's sad it took as much as twenty posts for something like this...  that's how shite the first team are just now.  Go back to the nine game run and this would've been the third post. 

Puff Candy went to Roseburn primary school in the sixties and the Ross's factory was right opposite great smell and on the way home some of the workies having a fag outside would give you some bags of broken puff candy the chocolate stuff was the best, mind you though it was probably being kicked about on the factory floor before being bagged up no wonder iv'e a mouth full of fillings now though lol.

4 hours ago, sandyk said:

Piped tobacco.  The smell wafted around the old stand when I started going in the mid to late seventies.  Loved the smell, kind of sweet.

Piped tobacco reminds me off my old uncle who smoked a pipe especially when he took me fishing , kept the midges away and seemed to attract the trout  .

I remember a woman I worked with and couldn't stand started wearing the same perfume as my girlfriend at the time. Instantly went from a smell I looked forward to a smell that annoyed... 

I suffer from severe migraine headaches. These are triggered by certain smells.  I have found out that the worst is certain herbs, especially rosemary (raw or cooked)

Going back some years when my migraine had not been diagnosed, my GF at the time took me to her parents for Sunday lunch.

Her mother was cooking a leg of lamb impregnated with stalks of rosemary.  One side effect with my migraine is that it starts off with vomiting.  I had not mentioned to my GF of this symptom, so they were not prepared for the projectile of my stomach contents.

To this day, the smell of rosemary sends me queasy.

3 hours ago, FruitJuice said:

It's sad it took as much as twenty posts for something like this...  that's how shite the first team are just now.  Go back to the nine game run and this would've been the third post. 

Bloody Levein...

Sawdust Caesar

The smell of a new record, especially LPs.

If the wind was in the right direction I could smell the fuel they used at the speedway at Powderhall at my home in Pilrig. I don't know why that always smelled differently from normal motorbikes but it was instantly recognizable, to me anyway.

Putty, reminds of walking past a small factory on my way to/from primary school.

annushorribilis III

Hamburger & onions - reminds me of the first time I had a bottle of Coke, over 50 years ago.

When I smell Indian food in the street it always reminds me of Khushi's in Broughton Street (I'm assuming long since gone) , no matter where I am at the time. I loved that place. 

21 hours ago, been here before said:

Tar.

20 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

Wood/coal burning takes me back to when heating was a fire in the house sometimes supplemented by a paraffin heater in the hall ( health and safety 😂😂

5 hours ago, Smack said:

Creosote freshly applied. 

All of the above.

Also, a smell from days of yore that I loved was the smell of a chimney fire.  It happened regularly in Royston and all the kids would run through the clouds of smoke blowing down the street.

Салатные палочки

In the summer when it's warm and the air is still and the smell of pubs and takeaways always reminds me of being on holiday. 

Fresh paint always reminds me of when I was ill when I was younger. My dad was glossing and I was sick for a few days. I still feel nauseous when painting. 

The smell of a new football shirt. Its not the same these days, possibly the change in materials but I can still smell those sort of vinyl shorts and the rubber badge of the 88/89 strip. 

A smell you don't really experience these days is the smell of newspaper mixed in with vinegar. Reminds me of being picked up from Cubs on a Friday night and being taken in for chips on the way home. 

Салатные палочки
3 minutes ago, stu said:

Love visiting Lidl first thing in the morning. The bakery smell is something else. 

This. I used to hate going in on the way to work to get something healthy and walkimg out with pan au chocolat or doughnuts. 

John mcCartney

Barack you naughty boy

I would love to contribute but my sense of smell has diminished so much that I can hardly smell my own gas emissions....
anybod else have this lack of smell  coz Im worried about it,been goin on for a couple of years now.
Aside from some potentially embaressing situations,which Il leave to your imagination, Ive googled the problem and found links to writings about it being a precursor to neurodegenerative issues....
not good reading.

Keep sniffing away JKB

When we lived in Dortmund in 81-83, my dad had a first aid kit in his Granada 2.0 Ghia. I used to take the lid off the germoline tin and sniff it all the way to Zeebrugge or wherever we were getting ferry back to UK from when visiting or on long journeys.

As with probably a lot of army brats, the smell of army canvas tents, inside of land rovers, 4 ton trucks, diesel smoke and oil (reminds me of climbing over and riding in Chieftan tanks)...

Lynx oriental reminds me of boarding school, the middle of the dorm where all the smokers bunked was continually in a fog of it! Also Kouros, jazz and cacharel remind me of school years when we were discovering girls...  ;)

Whenever I smell freshly mown grass I always say to myself "Gas Gas Gas..".. the smell of nerve agent is supposed to be freshly mown grass or hay... 

Chloe Narcisse, Joop and Davidoff cool Waters reminds me my wife and I' early days... ;) ;) ;) 

45 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Bread in the toaster.

The smell comes when the bread's been toasted, so it's toast you're smelling.

All roads lead to Gorgie

The smell of seaweed you get on the west coast reminds me of holidays at my Grans place beside a loch. 

I used to like the diesel fume smell from major rail stations, pre electrification, as I loved rail travel as a bairn or currently the Aviation smell at airports as it means the start of holidays. 

The last two not the most healthy of smells though. ☺️ 

the brewery when walking to Tynecastle from Haymarket. Fresh bread baking in the oven. I regularly have a loaf baking during games. It also fills my stair with a lovely aroma as opposed to the smell of skunk emitting from my neighbours flat.

The smell of freshly mown grass.

The smell of the road / pavement after it rains on a warm day. (Petrichor?)

Both remind me of the long summer holidays when at Primary School.