Broadband/TV Packages

Boris

4 minutes ago, jamb0_1874 said:

Am looking to move away from Sky as my current deal has expired. The three cheapest at the minute seem to be Vodafone, Plusnet and talktalk. I know there was a bit of talk about vodafone, plusnet earlier in this thread, has everybody that has them been happy with the service, speeds etc?

I didn't ever have an issue with Vodafone. Back to Sky now though.

39 minutes ago, jamb0_1874 said:

Am looking to move away from Sky as my current deal has expired. The three cheapest at the minute seem to be Vodafone, Plusnet and talktalk. I know there was a bit of talk about vodafone, plusnet earlier in this thread, has everybody that has them been happy with the service, speeds etc?

You may well get a decent offer from Sky to stay when you try to cancel, other option is for someone else in the household to nab a new customer offer/friends and family code

4 hours ago, Ribble said:

You may well get a decent offer from Sky to stay when you try to cancel, other option is for someone else in the household to nab a new customer offer/friends and family code

If am honest am looking to move away from sky out of principle, my broadband is due to go up to £40 next month but speaking to the adviser today they have offered to do it at £27 instead of the standard £32 for my package. When I asked them why if the package i'm on is meant to be £32 are they going to be charging me £40, they couldn't really answer my question and muttered something about it being an old package and how they have changed the name etc. However the fact remains that I wouldn't be getting any more or less from them yet they would have been charging me an extra £8pm for nothing. I don't even think they do a £40 pm broadband deal for any customers other than existing customers that have been with them for many years. Just a bit of a poor show in my eyes.

Isn't there a new law now which stops these companies giving cheaper deals to new customers only? Think it all needs to be given across the board.

1 hour ago, jamb0_1874 said:

If am honest am looking to move away from sky out of principle, my broadband is due to go up to £40 next month but speaking to the adviser today they have offered to do it at £27 instead of the standard £32 for my package. When I asked them why if the package i'm on is meant to be £32 are they going to be charging me £40, they couldn't really answer my question and muttered something about it being an old package and how they have changed the name etc. However the fact remains that I wouldn't be getting any more or less from them yet they would have been charging me an extra £8pm for nothing. I don't even think they do a £40 pm broadband deal for any customers other than existing customers that have been with them for many years. Just a bit of a poor show in my eyes.

I'm sure I've felt like that before but the truth is it's really up to you to keep up with stuff and take measures to protect yourself from that type of treatment. It's on you.

It's like auto renewing your car insurance without looking at other quotes.

Sod the principle, do what makes most sense.

Edited by IronJambo

19 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

I'm sure I've felt like that before but the truth is it's really up to you to keep up with stuff and take measures to protect yourself from that type of treatment. It's on you.

It's like auto renewing your car insurance without looking at other quotes.

Sod the principle, do what makes most sense.

Yeah I know and you are 100% right but how many people don't keep an eye on their bills and get ripped off. It's just not right.

I wouldn't have had an issue if the they bumped me up to £32 which seems to be the new going rate but it's the fact they have decided to push the envelope even further and try £40. 

6 hours ago, jamb0_1874 said:

Been with Plusnet for 4 years, I like them.

All fitted by BT engineers, been told it's also the same router you get with BT.

Speeds are up to 52, generally get 35-45.

Virgin will be available to me soon, will probably switch.

11 hours ago, jamb0_1874 said:

It's the age old issue with attraction offers, fact is that you will have always been on a £40 package, it's just that it's thus far been discounted anywhere between 10-50% so you aren't being charged more, just being offered less of a discount.

3 hours ago, davemclaren said:

How does Now TV compare with the Sky Satellite service? 

It's basically an app that you can use to stream sky and partner channels. So you can watch these channels live but not pause rewind etc. Or you can watch via catch up. You're best bet is to give it a go, there's often lots of free/cheap trials but for £5 to £7 for a months entertainment is pretty good value, saying that I think my last pass cost me £3 for the month.

2 hours ago, jamb0_1874 said:

It's basically an app that you can use to stream sky and partner channels. So you can watch these channels live but not pause rewind etc. Or you can watch via catch up. You're best bet is to give it a go, there's often lots of free/cheap trials but for £5 to £7 for a months entertainment is pretty good value, saying that I think my last pass cost me £3 for the month.

Cheers. Currently got Sky Fibre unlimited, landline and full tv package for £130 a month. Thought about moving to Virgin but no easy route to get the cable under our monoblock which runs the full width of our garden. 🤷🏼‍♂️

13 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Cheers. Currently got Sky Fibre unlimited, landline and full tv package for £130 a month. Thought about moving to Virgin but no easy route to get the cable under our monoblock which runs the full width of our garden. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I think you need to speak to sky and I'd be surprised if you couldn't save yourself a considerable amount each month while keeping the same package.

6 hours ago, jamb0_1874 said:

I think you need to speak to sky and I'd be surprised if you couldn't save yourself a considerable amount each month while keeping the same package.

Will give that a try on Monday. 

jack D and coke
13 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Will give that a try on Monday. 

Phone and cancel. Don’t let them talk you into anything there and then. They’ll offer you maybe 20-30% off but don’t accept. Just be adamant you’re cancelling and hang up. They’ll eventually call you back within a week or so with a 50% off deal. 
I get my old dear to do it every year. 

8 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Phone and cancel. Don’t let them talk you into anything there and then. They’ll offer you maybe 20-30% off but don’t accept. Just be adamant you’re cancelling and hang up. They’ll eventually call you back within a week or so with a 50% off deal. 
I get my old dear to do it every year. 

Cheers.