Tragedies

Sharpie

You turn on the news today, Freeport Bahamas, a location I have visited devastated by a hurricane.

A boat chartered by divers goes on fire off California, thirty four dead, one of them a seventeen year old spending his birthday with his parents, a family looking forward to the oncoming years never realising they would not see the next day.

A post right here on JKB where a kid murders his whole family.

On our local news a man on Trial for murdering on a Christmas day his two little girls. Their letters to Santa shown as evidence.

What always got to me in cases of sudden death and tragedy was that the poor deceased person lying there was just like me thinking about the future, never believing it would all be gone in a second. Life can be so cruel.

Edited by bobsharp

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, bobsharp said:

You turn on the news today, Freeport Bahamas, a location I have visited devastated by a hurricane.

A boat chartered by divers goes on fire off California, thirty four dead, one of them a seventeen year old spending his birthday with his parents, a family looking forward to the oncoming years never realising they would not see the next day.

On our local news a man on Trial for murdering on a Christmas day his two little girls. Their letters to Santa shown as evidence.

What always got to me in cases of sudden death and tragedy was that the poor deceased person lying there was just like me thinking about the future, never believing it would all be gone in a second. Life can be so cruel.

Every time even to this day that I go to drive under the bridge at slateford, I still look up the street and think about that mother who killed her kiddies and threw herself out the window😞

9 hours ago, bobsharp said:

Some poor felly got knocked and killed in Leith Walk yesterday and I thought the same. Casually strolling along the road minding your own and then gone, just like that.

19 minutes ago, Locky said:

Some poor felly got knocked and killed in Leith Walk yesterday and I thought the same. Casually strolling along the road minding your own and then gone, just like that.

He walked out infront of the lorry. it's the driver I feel sorry for. The guy that died probably wouldn't have known much about it. 

17 hear old girl was run over at the roundabout at the bottom of Broomhouse road yesterday or the day before because an 85 hear old driver mounted the kerb and hit her. She is alive but badly injured.

28 minutes ago, Locky said:

A 17 year old was knocked down by an 85 year old driver who mounted the pavement on broomhouse Road on Monday. Alive but with life changing injuries to her legs apparently. 

Edit - or what hughesie said. 

Edited by Mauricio Pinilla

22 minutes ago, Herbert said:

He walked out infront of the lorry. it's the driver I feel sorry for. The guy that died probably wouldn't have known much about it. 

You're right but it was more what Bob finished his OP with that I was relating to.

18 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

A 17 year old was knocked down by an 85 year old driver who mounted the pavement on broomhouse Road on Monday. Alive but with life changing injuries to her legs apparently. 

Edit - or what hughesie said. 

Hopefully there's still a non-tragic ending to that story.

The Real Maroonblood
8 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Every time even to this day that I go to drive under the bridge at slateford, I still look up the street and think about that mother who killed her kiddies and threw herself out the window😞

I pass that way quite regularly not always but it does cross my mind about that tragedy.

She committed suicide a few years later.

luckyBatistuta
10 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I pass that way quite regularly not always but it does cross my mind about that tragedy.

She committed suicide a few years later.

Yeah, read that too. Think a guy caught her when she jumped and that was why she survived. Must have been horrible to walk in and see those kids. 

Stephen Muddie
10 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Oh my God mate, that's one of the most horrific things I ever read. I studied the case quite thoroughly for an assignment. Not afraid to say it made me cry. How she could do that... Just so the dad couldn't have them.. Pure evil.

luckyBatistuta
41 minutes ago, Stephen Muddie said:

Oh my God mate, that's one of the most horrific things I ever read. I studied the case quite thoroughly for an assignment. Not afraid to say it made me cry. How she could do that... Just so the dad couldn't have them.. Pure evil.

Yeah, remember they had split. Think they were American. Surprised he was getting custody of them, maybe she had mental health issues and it played a part in that?

14 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Yeah, remember they had split. Think they were American. Surprised he was getting custody of them, maybe she had mental health issues and it played a part in that?

Similar situation happened in Parkhead around about the same time I think.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-17199800

http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2012/02/29/greiving-mum-kills-herself-and-son/

luckyBatistuta
29 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Don’t remember seeing this story, tragic 😞

4 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

17 hear old girl was run over at the roundabout at the bottom of Broomhouse road yesterday or the day before because an 85 hear old driver mounted the kerb and hit her. She is alive but badly injured.

Makes me wonder why the law allows for someone of 85 to still be driving in all honesty. 

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

I knew her father.

She was a Hearts season ticket holder so there are probably a few on this forum that knew her.

2 hours ago, Swanny17 said:

Makes me wonder why the law allows for someone of 85 to still be driving in all honesty. 

After peoples 65th birthday there shoud be a mandatory but free yearly health/eye check and driving assessment IMO. If they do not  they must surrender their licence until they prove they are fit to drive.

Almost got taken out today by a ****ing range rover with a driver who must have been in his 70s at Cameron toll roundabout  I was in the lane heading into the store, he was in the outside lane and all of a sudden he indicated at the last second and swerved into the store lane. Absolutely shat myself and if it wasnt for good reactions on my part would have been an accident. 

Asked him what the hell he was up to when he got out his car even though I rarely get annoyed behind the wheel. He didn't even realise anything had happened and became so defensive. Clearly his all round observation needs some work.

Edited by AlimOzturk

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

After peoples 65th birthday there shoud be a mandatory but free yearly health/eye check and driving assessment IMO. If they do not  they must surrender their licence until they prove they are fit to drive.

Almost got taken out today by a ****ing range rover with a driver who must have been in his 70s at Cameron toll roundabout  I was in the lane heading into the store, he was in the outside lane and all of a sudden he indicated at the last second and swerved into the store lane. Absolutely shat myself and if it wasnt for good reactions on my part would have been an accident. 

Asked him what the hell he was up to when he got out his car even though I rarely get annoyed behind the wheel. He didn't even realise anything had happened and became so defensive. Clearly his all round observation needs some work.

It wouldn’t surprise me if younger drivers statistically are a bigger danger.

A kid in my village was killed after he went down a hill on a skateboard head first. Went out on to the road at the bottom and was run over. Right at the bottom of the street my gran lived on.

Always thought about him when going to my grans.

Fitzroy Pointon
1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Was just about to post about the fifteen year old girl who was killed in a hit and run in Paisley back in July.  The road was a particularly bad one for boy racers.  She was crossing the road with friends and a car hit and killed her and drove off.  The guy was arrested the next day. 

It happened at 2am and at first I questioned why a fifteen year old was out at that time.  However, who didn't pretend to be staying at their mates when they were younger only for their mate to tell their mum and dad they were staying at yours and you pulled an all-nighter wandering the streets? 

Can't begin to imagine what her parents and family felt when they heard that news, thinking she was safe at her friends. 

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Salad Fingers said:

Was just about to post about the fifteen year old girl who was killed in a hit and run in Paisley back in July.  The road was a particularly bad one for boy racers.  She was crossing the road with friends and a car hit and killed her and drove off.  The guy was arrested the next day. 

It happened at 2am and at first I questioned why a fifteen year old was out at that time.  However, who didn't pretend to be staying at their mates when they were younger only for their mate to tell their mum and dad they were staying at yours and you pulled an all-nighter wandering the streets? 

Can't begin to imagine what her parents and family felt when they heard that news, thinking she was safe at her friends. 

Horrific stuff.

5 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

maybe and I have always felt the size of vehicle first time drivers can drive should be limited until they have a proven track record of driving experience (possibly no claims bonus could do this) Amazing how someone with 20 hours of road experience could technically buy a massively powerful car that they cant handle.

anyways, getting of topic here.

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, AlimOzturk said:

maybe and I have always felt the size of vehicle first time drivers can drive should be limited until they have a proven track record of driving experience (possibly no claims bonus could do this) Amazing how someone with 20 hours of road experience could technically buy a massively powerful car that they cant handle.

anyways, getting of topic here.

Good point as they do it with motorbikes.

The black box being fitted is a good thing as it monitors a drivers driving and it can reduce their insurance premiums.

Off topic as well.

2 hours ago, Swanny17 said:

Here in B.C. at eighty we go for medicals to ensure at least to some extent we are capable. They do the normal health tests, and memory tests. If you have a bad record accident etc, you can be directed to take another driving test before being allowed a licence. As an octogenarian I feel pretty confident, but I know my own abilities and will be the first to stop when I should.

luckyBatistuta

I personally wouldn’t be letting anyone in their 80’s behind the wheel of a car. I know it’s horrible that you are taking away their freedom to get around, but their reaction times are just not there anymore imo. Sorry if I’ve offended anyone who is of age, but just think yourself lucky that I’m not in charge.

The Real Maroonblood
15 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I personally wouldn’t be letting anyone in their 80’s behind the wheel of a car. I know it’s horrible that you are taking away their freedom to get around, but their reaction times are just not there anymore imo. Sorry if I’ve offended anyone who is of age, but just think yourself lucky that I’m not in charge.

I’m not 80 but I’ll take on board what you said.

:P

Samuel Camazzola
4 hours ago, Swanny17 said:

Phil the Greek was still whizzing about in his Range Rover at 97 until he was pressured into giving it up. 

38 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Nah. I'm over 80 and sometimes a whole week goes by without me having an accident. :wink:

Getting back to the topic, life is cruel and terrible tragedies seem to occur every day. It can be depressing reading the paper or watching the news on TV.

I can understand the opinion that eighty year olds should not drive. If I had the benefit of reasonable public transport which I don't and I live a five minute drive from downtown, I would quit tomorrow. Having said that having spent a career dealing with motor vehicle infractions, accidents including fatal the involved were generally driven  by middle aged or teenagers  . Not a surprise as they compose the statstical ages of  most drivers.

However my original thoughts were on the victims whether killed by a ninety year old driver, an 50 year old shooter or a teenage assaulter, they are dead. The tragedy for me is they did not plan to be dead, did not make arrangements, it was the last thing in their mind when they closed the house door that they would never see it or the occupants again. That to me is the tragedy, the cause of death is just another scene in the act that is life.

Edited by bobsharp

1 hour ago, bobsharp said:

Here in B.C. at eighty we go for medicals to ensure at least to some extent we are capable. They do the normal health tests, and memory tests. If you have a bad record accident etc, you can be directed to take another driving test before being allowed a licence. As an octogenarian I feel pretty confident, but I know my own abilities and will be the first to stop when I should.

I honestly think they should adopt something similar over here with compulsory re-tests every year for people above a certain age.

Likewise, those passing their test at 17 should be re-tested until the age of 25.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

Nah. I'm over 80 and sometimes a whole week goes by without me having an accident. :wink:

Getting back to the topic, life is cruel and terrible tragedies seem to occur every day. It can be depressing reading the paper or watching the news on TV.

You don’t sound over 80😀

been here before

Thoughts and prayers to everyone and their family mentioned on this thread.

Taken too young

XX is no age

Tragedy

Just Giving page? Donated ✔

luckyBatistuta
6 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I’m not 80 but I’ll take on board what you said.

:P

:lol:

4 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

You don’t sound over 80😀

He’s still typing :sleeping2::D

luckyBatistuta
5 hours ago, bobsharp said:

I can understand the opinion that eighty year olds should not drive. If I had the benefit of reasonable public transport which I don't and I live a five minute drive from downtown, I would quit tomorrow. Having said that having spent a career dealing with motor vehicle infractions, accidents including fatal the involved were generally driven  by middle aged or teenagers  . Not a surprise as they compose the statstical ages of  most drivers.

However my original thoughts were on the victims whether killed by a ninety year old driver, an 50 year old shooter or a teenage assaulter, they are dead. The tragedy for me is they did not plan to be dead, did not make arrangements, it was the last thing in their mind when they closed the house door that they would never see it or the occupants again. That to me is the tragedy, the cause of death is just another scene in the act that is life.

You just made me think of something that happened at Blackhall in 1998. If I remember right, there was four of them in the car and they were rushing home to watch the Scotland game in the World Cup and were involved in an rtc (wife was on duty and had to deal with it) Their vehicle instantly burst in to flames and they couldn’t get out. The same thing recently with the guy on Maybury road, just minding his own business driving along the road then he’s suddenly gone😞

Edited by luckyBatistuta

5 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

You don’t write like someone over 80.

:thumbsup:

luckyBatistuta
5 minutes ago, Morgan said:

You’ll have to type a little louder bud👍

Bridge of Djoum
3 hours ago, Morgan said:

Hell of a lot of soup down his T-shirt though. 

2 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Hell of a lot of soup down his T-shirt though. 

And I buy my Depends at Bulk Barn. :arf:

queensferryjambo

Wow and I thought 'The Terrace' was grim just now, thought I would head to 'The Shed' for some light relief.

I'm off to the unashamedly crap jokes thread..............................