Can we stop with the rumours now?

Dr. Bapswent

Dr. Bapswent

Its quite clear what Vlad is doing.

The Rubber man has explained it.

Vlad has a few decent managers in his sights. He intends to use his pyramid system to generate a stream of players to move up through the ranks and ultimately onwards.

This i dont have much of an issue with, as in theory it should be a success for all involved.

However as has been pointed out, if the original level of talent is not good enough, the system falls down. And also, the level and speed that Vlad wants players conveyor belted through the system may not match the coaches view, and therefore cause friction between them.

So we can see what Vlad wants to happen, and we can see its flaws.

But this also means all the rumours about who the manger is going to be are guff. So can we give them a rest now?

Vlad's plan has been exposed, and its not quite transparent what his intentions are (as if it wasn't before).

The issue of control is not simply because he wants to be the boss, but its because he wants to showcase his young talent. He has the intention of getting a solid decent manager (this is great news) but cannot find a manager who will go along with is plan.

Thats the state of play folks.

colinmaroon

Vlad has a few decent managers in his sights. He intends to use his pyramid system to generate a stream of players to move up through the ranks and ultimately onwards.

This i dont have much of an issue with, as in theory it should be a success for all involved.

However as has been pointed out, if the original level of talent is not good enough, the system falls down. And also, the level and speed that Vlad wants players conveyor belted through the system may not match the coaches view, and therefore cause friction between them.

But this also means all the rumours about who the manger is going to be are guff. So can we give them a rest now?

Vlad's plan has been exposed, and its not quite transparent what his intentions are (as if it wasn't before).

The issue of control is not simply because he wants to be the boss, but its because he wants to showcase his young talent. He has the intention of getting a solid decent manager (this is great news) but cannot find a manager who will go along with is plan.

Dear Doc

You are becoming frighteningly logical in your approach to all things "Hearts"!!!

It could become a habit!

Isnt it just great that we have all this clarification from a potential managerial candidate?! If this had been spelled out two/three years ago as a business plan for us all to come to terms with all this gnashing of teeth would be significantly less-as would the season tickets..:rolleyes:..

Dr. Bapswent
Dear Doc

You are becoming frighteningly logical in your approach to all things "Hearts"!!!

It could become a habit!

I thought I always had been.

And was that a monk joke?

And more than likely never will,not a proper manager.

Dr. Bapswent
So basically we'll will have an interefering owner.

Whatever the motives are, the result is the same.

Would also be fair to say the statement Jan 1 now looks like complete ball ox!

The problem is whatever his motives good or bad. Can anyone see this working out for us?

In theory, it could work no problem.

IF the coach was the one to decide who and when players were moved through.

If they cant have that control, they will always be playing with the cards someone else dealt. Therefore they will be both hamstrung by it, and also probably not want to have that devolved level of control anyway.

Isnt it just great that we have all this clarification from a potential managerial candidate?! If this had been spelled out two/three years ago as a business plan for us all to come to terms with all this gnashing of teeth would be significantly less-as would the season tickets..:rolleyes:..

It was,most refused to listen.

"who's sorry now"

Dr. Bapswent

"who's sorry now"

Did you just win something?

Why do i get the feeling you are reveling in this?

Guest JamboRobbo

To be fair, it's pretty much what Vlad said to us a few years back.

Although back then, he said the Kaunas players were just a stop gap till Hearts own young talent came through.

So he has stuck to his guns/plans on that part.

Where he has lied, is with the manager situation.

You're exactly right.

But it isnt acceptable is it?

Vlad still thinks he can turn Kaunas players into EPL players.

So he is hell bent on implementing a model that isnt succeeding, wont succeed and is not in the best interests of Hearts the football club

So presumably we are agreed that Vlad is not right for Hearts and genuine unified attempts should be made by the fans to test just how hell bent he is on remaining our absent landlord?

Did you just win something?

Why do i get the feeling you are reveling in this?

Not at all.

I stated years back about what was happening,got nothing but abuse,I also stated that I had made my peace with myself that this was no longer the HMFC we once supported and that one day it would all come crashing down.

So all these stories don't bother me as much now,but hey,once again,if you had listend at first then you might just be feeling a little less pished off right now.

"who's sorry now"

And you're at it again on another thread! You're incorrigible...

:rolleyes:

Anyway, Dr B....I was mulling all of this over last night and I figured that it just doesn't make sense. Simply because he clearly does recognise what a quality player is...he may have brought us some duds along the way but there have also been a good few 'finds' amongst them. So why would he insist on this if the quality just isn't there in Lithuania/Belarus or wherever? I don't get it. He has tried it, the business model falls down at the first hurdle - so WHY? Argh.

shaun.lawson
And you're at it again on another thread! You're incorrigible...

:rolleyes:

Anyway, Dr B....I was mulling all of this over last night and I figured that it just doesn't make sense. Simply because he clearly does recognise what a quality player is...he may have brought us some duds along the way but there have also been a good few 'finds' amongst them. So why would he insist on this if the quality just isn't there in Lithuania/Belarus or wherever? I don't get it. He has tried it, the business model falls down at the first hurdle - so WHY? Argh.

Almost certainly, redm, because of other, less obvious, much more dodgy reasons, which enable him to keep the wages paid to players loaned in within his, UBIG's and German Tkachenko's empire, while lumping more and more debt on HMFC.

Dr. Bapswent
Not at all.

I stated years back about what was happening,got nothing but abuse,I also stated that I had made my peace with myself that this was no longer the HMFC we once supported and that one day it would all come crashing down.

So all these stories don't bother me as much now,but hey,once again,if you had listend at first then you might just be feeling a little less pished off right now.

Your soap box must just have a step higher than the rest of us mere mortals then.

Because im no more 'pished off' now than i have been.

Im no more surprised by this news than I was when i first considered this likely option.

The only difference is that we have had it confirmed from someone directly.

It doesnt change much, not really.

I just dont see what anyone gains by being able to tell others 'they told them so'.

The rumours have been excellent ... despite the closed door approach of VR/Charlie Mann.

McGhee was speculated on - and was clearly offered the job. Weiss was speculated on ... and he talked to Hearts/Romanov. And now the latest Ruber was clearly talking to Hearts/Romanov.

So the rumour mongers have done pretty well.

What has emerged though is that VR wants to be the real manager of the side. That has been an unspoken truth since Aguiar began to be brought in for Brellier. But is now clear, despite the January 1st statement.

It's not that crazy a plan folks.

IF, and it's a massive IF, the manager had full say in who came and went to Kaunas and who played every week it would probably work.

The plan would also require us to get the best talent from the "pyramid" countries.

Where the plan falls down at the moment is Vlad seems hell bent on keeping Miko / Chesney / Zaliukas etc at Hearts when they are not good enough for Hearts never mind the EPL.

In theory if we found the best young talent from Lithuania, Belarus and A.N Other country and moulded that together with Scottish youth and additions like Kingston, Pinilla and a proper manager we would be on the right track.

Unfortunately the last paragraph seems so far removed from the reality of the last few years it will probably never happen!

Guest JamboRobbo
It's not that crazy a plan folks.

IF, and it's a massive IF, the manager had full say in who came and went to Kaunas and who played every week it would probably work.

The plan would also require us to get the best talent from the "pyramid" countries.

Where the plan falls down at the moment is Vlad seems hell bent on keeping Miko / Chesney / Zaliukas etc at Hearts when they are not good enough for Hearts never mind the EPL.

In theory if we found the best young talent from Lithuania, Belarus and A.N Other country and moulded that together with Scottish youth and additions like Kingston, Pinilla and a proper manager we would be on the right track.

Unfortunately the last paragraph seems so far removed from the reality of the last few years it will probably never happen!

Agree entirely. It's not a crazy plan.

It could work, but it's the manager issue where it all falls down. And we've witnessed the results of this failure on the park.

Dr. Bapswent
The rumours have been excellent ... despite the closed door approach of VR/Charlie Mann.

McGhee was speculated on - and was clearly offered the job. Weiss was speculated on ... and he talked to Hearts/Romanov. And now the latest Ruber was clearly talking to Hearts/Romanov.

So the rumour mongers have done pretty well.

What has emerged though is that VR wants to be the real manager of the side. That has been an unspoken truth since Aguiar began to be brought in for Brellier. But is now clear, despite the January 1st statement.

I honestly dont know where you get that from.

To say the rumours have been excellent.

What of Ranieri, Mathiaus etc etc? All nonsense.

And saying Vlad wants to be the manager.....he clearly does not.

He wants to be the boss, and have someone else manage.

Its been confirmed, how can you say otherwise?

Phil Anderton met Ranieri and then VR embarassed himself with Ranieri by not having enough money. I don't know if Mattheus was ever a serious candidate. But each of the 3 guys since January 1st was rumoured and speculated on KB.

'Vlad wants to have someone else manage' ... despite what has come out in the press in the last couple of days? Does 'managing' merely become trotting out the lies about Gordon's 'flu etc?

Buffalo Bill

It seems a bit 'obvious' for me to say this but I feel this thing will simply run its course over 2008/09.

If Romanov gets it right (and I wouldn't bet on that), then we might see the beginnings of the things that Ruber said which actually impressed him about our great leader.

If he gets it wrong (again), then I suspect crowds will dwindle, fans will show their displeasure and Rodney will saunter into the AGM blaming bent referees.

Right now, I just think 'what the ****', bring it on. The worst bit for me is the waiting.

Buffalo Bill

Dr. Bapswent
It seems a bit 'obvious' for me to say this but I feel this thing will simply run its course over 2008/09.

If Romanov gets it right (and I wouldn't bet on that), then we might see the beginnings of the things that Ruber said which actually impressed him about our great leader.

If he gets it wrong (again), then I suspect crowds will dwindle, fans will show their displeasure and Rodney will saunter into the AGM blaming bent referees.

Right now, I just think 'what the ****', bring it on. The worst bit for me is the waiting.

Buffalo Bill

Totally agree BB.

i think the atmosphere at the whistle of the first home game is going to be 'unique' to say the least.

Thats what we want

Apologies for copying and pasting this post from me on another thread but it seemed relevant to the discussion on this thread.

If anything good has come out of all this mess it is that we now clearly know what VR's intentions and plans are. Some have said this all along, some have suspected this all along and some have denied it all along. Whatever your stance, now we all know.

For so long we and the media have been questioning VR's intentions and wondered why he doesn't just let a manager manage and let business people do business. Well now we know.

He's here to make a buck (we've always known that) but now we know how. His intentions are so far away from any manager with a passion of the game that the two will never meet.

Its a nice plan on paper but the level of success for the plan relies directly on the quality of feeder players and the one's from Kaunas are just not good enough.

I mentioned on a thread last night that until this fundamental realization takes place in the head of VR we are in the deep mire.

For me the solution is obvious. Breed your own players. If any from Kaunas suddenly emerge then great, but it shouldn't be the only guiding principle and that there is the second motive of VR. The desire to enhance the Lithuanian game in stature and wealth.

Hearts are just a tool of convenience to VR with no emotional attachment.

I can't see his plan working for the reasons above and so the road ahead is a pretty depressing one for me.

A seachange in VR's strategy is what is needed and the only person who can do that is someone VR considers to be influential.

There isn't many of them around.

Hilary Briss

Given were we were heading before he came, I would stand for this plan. But the only way it would work is if a good manager is appointed and is left to pick/coach the team. Surely Vlad must realize that a decent manager will improve these players and give him a better chance of selling them on for more cash and the only way we will get a decent manager is if he backs out of team affairs.

Your soap box must just have a step higher than the rest of us mere mortals then.

Because im no more 'pished off' now than i have been.

Im no more surprised by this news than I was when i first considered this likely option.

The only difference is that we have had it confirmed from someone directly.

It doesnt change much, not really.

I just dont see what anyone gains by being able to tell others 'they told them so'.

As I say,the abuse I took from some posters,even now, was incredible,most refused to listen,hind their heads in the sand or what ever,but now that the **** has well and truly hit the fan,people that ridiculed me are now saying exactly what I've been saying for years.

I and others did tell you and everyone one else what was happening at Hearts and that it would end up in disaster,you refused to listen along with countless others.

Don't think that I'm reveling in glory,not at all,but TBH there is a tad of "I told you so" that my friend is just human nature,I would love to get back supporting Hearts the way I used to,even under CPR I supported Hearts with a passion,that passion is long gone,I would love it back but not under this mans reign mefraid.

Almost certainly, redm, because of other, less obvious, much more dodgy reasons, which enable him to keep the wages paid to players loaned in within his, UBIG's and German Tkachenko's empire, while lumping more and more debt on HMFC.

But why would that make more or less sense than doing exactly the same to either Kaunas, Ripo or any other of his businesses? That's the part I don't understand...what exactly it is that makes Hearts the key to everything? It's completely batty - all of it.

Surely there's more to be lost from having Hearts in serious debt than there would be for any of his other business interests (other than the metals factories) to be in the same position? I think we've come to our conclusions based on a mix of hearsay, experience and some plain old assumptions and along the way....fact and presupposition have become blurred. I think we're missing something key to the whole 'strategy' - I just don't have a clue what it is.

There you have it in a nutshell, keep UBIG (not Hearts) as the contract party, although the problem comes when VR/GT try to bring in players from outside of the EU with more Gogua fiascos likely.

Oh! I am so underwhelmed at the moment.

Dr. Bapswent
Given were we were heading before he came, I would stand for this plan. But the only way it would work is if a good manager is appointed and is left to pick/coach the team. Surely Vlad must realize that a decent manager will improve these players and give him a better chance of selling them on for more cash and the only way we will get a decent manager is if he backs out of team affairs.

I believe thats what he is trying to do.

As for the control of the current squad, and player choice etc. That has NOT been a confirmed issue, but as GF says in his article. it may be because VR reputation has gone before him, and spoiled the managers perception of the control he will give.

I think VR wants the same as us, to put his pyramid in action, and get the benefits, having a manager improve that 'talent'. But what we dont know is how serious VR is about giving control up to the manager, and his promises to us seem empty.

I do hope he is serious and finds someone who also believes that.

the jambo poet

..There is also the few cases whereby Vlad has "deemed" players not worthy of appearing for Hearts ...ie Hleb/Mendy and the few odd occasions whereby he has signed players for Hearts via Kaunus but we've never seen them.... this to me would suggest that he isn't just wanting anybody to come over from the pyramid only the good ones....altho there have been a few rotten eggs that have managed to sneak through...perhaps they were "here for the experience" and we were playing so badly he thought wtf just throw them in...they can't be any worse....however in the main ..apart from injuries we've had some handy players miko (on his day) Velicka (on his day) Chesney (on his day..getting the hint)...Janny....perhaps all these boys were getting preferential treatment and were first names on team sheet each week and not really bothering about training etc or indeed doing that well for the team, however when they were up for it they were all pretty decent players...

All of the above sort of contradicts itself...which I think is the main trait of Vlad....I don't actually think he knows what he's doing now and while it maybe started off as a no bad idea.....it has sort of gone into freefall ..... and he is stuck with the beast he created without knowing how to tame it !!...

A new manager with full control would do for starters.....

Geoff Kilpatrick

It has always be one of Vlad's key components to use the pyramid to bring on the Lithuanian players. The problem is that Vlad thinks they are good when at best they have had flashes of brilliance and at worst have been worse than Sunday amateurs.

This has led, unfairly, to claims our team has been 'swamped' with Lithuanians. The reality is that this claim is the sensationalism of the team not being selected on merit (or fitness grounds).

What Ruber does show, though, is that January 1 was complete cojones BUT it does encourage me in one regard. Romanov knew the heat was on from fans, particularly over that December period when we targeted 15 points and ended up with 1. It bought him time. However, he had no real intention of changing his ways and therefore this makes him unacceptable in my view for how he intends to take the club forward.

shaun.lawson
But why would that make more or less sense than doing exactly the same to either Kaunas, Ripo or any other of his businesses? That's the part I don't understand...what exactly it is that makes Hearts the key to everything? It's completely batty - all of it.

Surely there's more to be lost from having Hearts in serious debt than there would be for any of his other business interests (other than the metals factories) to be in the same position? I think we've come to our conclusions based on a mix of hearsay, experience and some plain old assumptions and along the way....fact and presupposition have become blurred. I think we're missing something key to the whole 'strategy' - I just don't have a clue what it is.

As long as the amount of money loaned to us by UBIG does not exceed our total assets, he's OK, redm - which it doesn't. As for why we're at the centre of things: probably because of the occasional chance of selling on players for much more dosh than if they were still playing in Lithuania or Belarus, more because of the foothold we offer UBIG in the Edinburgh property market, and (or he initially hoped), UKIO Bankas too.

Boaby Ewing

The frustrating thing is, I don't think any fans -- or indeed any manager -- would have a problem with using Kaunas etc. as feeder clubs.

If Vlad wants to ship in young Lithuanians -- fine. Just quit feckin' insisting they're played until the manager thinks they are ready.

He has cast his net further afield with guys like Branny and Copil anyway -- not to mention all the young Scottish players we've got in the ranks. But if he wants his plan to work, he needs a manager to feed them into the team gently, as and when the manager thinks they are ready.

Then his plan might just work... as it's the same as what most other clubs do anyway.

Ruber is clearly interested. Vlad just needs to back the feck off and let him do his thing.

Success for us = success for Vlad's plan. A successful team would be beneficial for the the best of the young crop coming through the ranks, and it would increase their sell on value anyway.

Unfortunately, he seems too stubborn to just let it happen.

So let's watch the cards fall.

Dr. Bapswent
As long as the amount of money loaned to us by UBIG does not exceed our total assets, he's OK, redm - which it doesn't. As for why we're at the centre of things: probably because of the occasional chance of selling on players for much more dosh than if they were still playing in Lithuania or Belarus, more because of the foothold we offer UBIG in the Edinburgh property market, and (or he initially hoped), UKIO Bankas too.

Simply put.

For me, thats too much of a convoluted, complex and risky situation for some limited money laundering/profit operation.

And for a few reasons I dont buy that approach.

1. He has other teams, who have had success and he seems genuinely interested.

2. He has made his money, so knows how to do it in other ways other than this.

3. He has put stadium plans in, are they just a ruse to keep the fans happy?

4. How much has he really made from it, and could he clearly not have made loads more with his thumb in other pies.

5. Why did he open up a branch in Edinburgh if his goal was to become a villain in this city?

If money were the simple truth of the matter, i fail to see how the above things help him out. He could have things a different way, made more and with less hassle.

As suggested on another thread, I wonder how this would be received if our feeder club had better players than the Kaunas ones we have seen.

I wonder how the attempted promotion of players from a team/nation renowned for great young football players would go down.

So lets look on the bright side................this surely puts the 'bulldozers' fear to bed as it appears VRs plan is to continue to play football here for the forseable future, although granted 'not as we know it Jim' :P

VR should maybe have bought out Gretna then and brought guys up through the 1st div in true feeder club sense ?

It may have looked like a half decent plan in it's raw form, young up and coming pyramid players get MIXED with local talent and we 'benefit' as they begin to flourish on their way to greater things ?

However the guys are either < par or are being poorly managed ..........and VR himself is ultimately responsible for 'quality control' in both those areas ??

shaun.lawson
Simply put.

For me, thats too much of a convoluted, complex and risky situation for some limited money laundering/profit operation.

And for a few reasons I dont buy that approach.

1. He has other teams, who have had success and he seems genuinely interested.

2. He has made his money, so knows how to do it in other ways other than this.

3. He has put stadium plans in, are they just a ruse to keep the fans happy?

4. How much has he really made from it, and could he clearly not have made loads more with his thumb in other pies.

5. Why did he open up a branch in Edinburgh if his goal was to become a villain in this city?

If money were the simple truth of the matter, i fail to see how the above things help him out. He could have things a different way, made more and with less hassle.

Who knows how much money he's made so far? Given the amount of loanees, as well as players owned by ProSports, how difficult would it be for him to declare HMFC to be paying a certain figure in wages, yet in reality pay an awful lot less and siphon off the difference, while the amount stated is lumped on our debt?

Don't get me wrong: I severely doubt whether his colleagues at UBIG and other backers behind the scenes have been particularly chuffed with how he's gone about things. Drawing attention to himself and making himself the villain ain't exactly great for PR. But I think this is, and has always been about money - money laundering, to be specific - and actually, that makes the stadium key to the whole thing. Once it's rebuilt, UBIG can concentrate on the property development, and lease Tynecastle out to someone else, thereby separating the commercial and footballing wings of the club.

At present, they've virtually maxed out all that can be made by selling players, so we're cutting back in order to ensure our debts since UBIG came on board don't go above what our assets are worth.

Boaby Ewing
As suggested on another thread, I wonder how this would be received if our feeder club had better players than the Kaunas ones we have seen.

I wonder how the attempted promotion of players from a team/nation renowned for great young football players would go down.

Why he showed him a Kaunas reserve match, I don't know.

Better if A. he'd flown in to meet him in Edinburgh. B. Showed him some of our young players/first team squad.

Ach, why am I even quibbling over this pish.

shaun.lawson

It depends. It's easy to assume developing talented young players and selling them on would create a virtuous cycle of an improving team in which we reinvest with the proceeds of sales. But what we've seen so far is the minute a club comes in for a showcased player, they're off, before the team has had any chance to profit from that player's ability, meaning continual instability - and of course, the proceeds don't go back into the team at all. They go straight to UBIG/Kaunas/Vlad.

Meaning that there's no chance of the plan leading to success on the park, which plainly isn't the priority anyway - and frankly, that would be the case whatever nationality our feeder clubs happened to be.

Who knows how much money he's made so far? Given the amount of loanees, as well as players owned by ProSports, how difficult would it be for him to declare HMFC to be paying a certain figure in wages, yet in reality pay an awful lot less and siphon off the difference, while the amount stated is lumped on our debt?

Don't get me wrong: I severely doubt whether his colleagues at UBIG and other backers behind the scenes have been particularly chuffed with how he's gone about things. Drawing attention to himself and making himself the villain ain't exactly great for PR. But I think this is, and has always been about money - money laundering, to be specific - and actually, that makes the stadium key to the whole thing. Once it's rebuilt, UBIG can concentrate on the property development, and lease Tynecastle out to someone else, thereby separating the commercial and footballing wings of the club.

At present, they've virtually maxed out all that can be made by selling players, so we're cutting back in order to ensure our debts since UBIG came on board don't go above what our assets are worth.

I don't buy the "load Hearts up with debt while creaming off cash" theory, simply because the only company that will lend to Hearts are Vlad's lot.

Maybe the land value of the ground has appreciated over the years, but I don't think our assets cover the debt.

On an ongoing basis, I think only Velicka has come through the "pyramid", but he was hardly a youngster, was he? The other transfer successes have been via Hearts original youth policy, or by shrewd managers buying well and developing talent.

I think Hearts situation has much more to do with vanity, ego and insecurity than anything else.

Maroon Mayhem
Why he showed him a Kaunas reserve match, I don't know.

Better if A. he'd flown in to meet him in Edinburgh. B. Showed him some of our young players/first team squad.

Ach, why am I even quibbling over this pish.

Probably because Romanov genuinely thinks that there is talent within the pyramid. Rober has had one look and realised that it would be like trying to make a silk purse from a sows ear and told him so.

To me that's what it's all about. Money. Romanov knows that the players he gets through Kaunas and Ripo aren't good enough, as if this was his big plan he could surely source the best kids from countries around, funnel them through these two teams (few years to blood them) and then onto Hearts and onto bigger things after. But we get sh*te, or worse than that we get supposed good players who don't seem to try a leg. The only success has been Velicka, and even then he massively screwed up on that one........well as much as we know he did anyway.

Hearts will slowly be asset stripped, big players sold, money siphoned off, debt increased, finally with stadium sold and land with it. Property prices have screwed that slightly but I'm sure contingencies are in place. Sure, maybe the idea was the new stadium, the hotel, the bank etc but where is the bank? On hold. Stadium delayed. Either to be completed? Unlikely in my opinion mainly as the bank seems to be gone and with that the main source of his money making.

End game is upon us, good news I'd say, as at least we'll soon see what Romanov is actually up to, which has to be better than this eternal pish.

All that needs to happen for us to move on - and possibly to become successful again - is that Vlad must accept that not all the players he ships in will make the grade, and no amount of insistence on his part will change this.

Everyone in football knows this. Not all your promising youngsters will turn into stars. Not every signing will be a success. For every Paul Hartley, there's a Dennis Wyness (I remember when they were paraded at the same match, and if I had had to pick one of them I'd have been wrong).

He needs a manager who is experienced, an excellent judge of players, and good enough tactically to make us competitive again. And, crucially, he needs a manager whose judgement he trusts, so that when the manager says 'this guy is not good enough', Vlad will listen rather than insist that he is. Unfortunately, such a manager appears not to exist. Vlad still seems to believe that he can turn mediocre players into stars because he wishes it so.

Buffalo Bill

I've tried to change the way I support Hearts over the last few years; or more to the point - what I support.

'Heroes' are a thing of the past; players I could identify and grow older with.

These days were're 10 maroon shirts and a goalie. Whoever fills those shirts are just human traffic - here today, banished tomorrow.

I support Hearts for my glory now: not the players.

Buffalo Bill

I've tried to change the way I support Hearts over the last few years; or more to the point - what I support.

'Heroes' are a thing of the past; players I could identify and grow older with.

These days were're 10 maroon shirts and a goalie. Whoever fills those shirts are just human traffic - here today, banished tomorrow.

I support Hearts for my glory now: not the players.

Buffalo Bill

I am not at that stage.

There are about half a dozen players within the squad who play for the jersey and give everything when they get on the pitch. I respect and identify with that. Just the same as when I watched Robbo and Gary Mackay.

And the young players - it is great when the likes of Gary Glen come through and do well.

But the mercenary/shop soiled/Kaunas group ... they annoy me for the most part.

All that needs to happen for us to move on - and possibly to become successful again - is that Vlad must accept that not all the players he ships in will make the grade, and no amount of insistence on his part will change this.

Everyone in football knows this. Not all your promising youngsters will turn into stars. Not every signing will be a success. For every Paul Hartley, there's a Dennis Wyness (I remember when they were paraded at the same match, and if I had had to pick one of them I'd have been wrong).

He needs a manager who is experienced, an excellent judge of players, and good enough tactically to make us competitive again. And, crucially, he needs a manager whose judgement he trusts, so that when the manager says 'this guy is not good enough', Vlad will listen rather than insist that he is. Unfortunately, such a manager appears not to exist. Vlad still seems to believe that he can turn mediocre players into stars because he wishes it so.

I think you have this bit the wrong way round. I don't think about Vlad not finding a manager he trusts. It's about Vlad approaching a manager that will trust him.

How could Vlad not have trusted George Burley's judgement when we were top of the league?

And, crucially, he needs a manager whose judgement he trusts, so that when the manager says 'this guy is not good enough', Vlad will listen rather than insist that he is.

Ultimately, however, Vlad only trusts his own judgement.

This has been proven time and time again over the past 3 years.

His character is too fatally flawed in that respect to have the ability to deliver any benefit to Hearts FC.

Guest JamboRobbo

I tend to agree, that the principal of feeder teams is not a bad one. In fact it's a good idea.

It becomes a problem because we have feeder teams of alow standard, and have repeatedly chosen not to appoint a manager who is allowed to assess the feeder team players and select the ones he wants (and crucially, discard the ones he doesn't want).

Until we do so, the current poor return on investment will continue....

Working on the premise that he's not completely insane (cos despite what the papers say, he actually isn't), we have to then assume that he wants a manager who understands that if there's a disagreement on a player's potential that Vlad's word is final, basically. To all intents and purposes, he wants someone who is willing to buy into the idea that bringing through these players might well work...but when it comes to whether or not they play, and they find themselves in a situation where Vlad thinks they should and the manager doesn't agree...the final decision rests with Vlad and nobody else.

That irritates me. He really thinks he's capable of spotting talent that someone with 35+ years experience in professional football can't?

At the same time, I suppose I can also see why he doesn't seem to think it's such a big deal or that it's something unfair to ask of a manager. I don't agree with him, but I can sort of understand why he thinks he has the right to be the one to make that decision. Only thing, I can't imagine many managers agreeing to put themselves in that position.

Oh bugger.

Dr. Bapswent
Working on the premise that he's not completely insane (cos despite what the papers say, he actually isn't), we have to then assume that he wants a manager who understands that if there's a disagreement on a player's potential that Vlad's word is final, basically. To all intents and purposes, he wants someone who is willing to buy into the idea that bringing through these players might well work...but when it comes to whether or not they play, and they find themselves in a situation where Vlad thinks they should and the manager doesn't agree...the final decision rests with Vlad and nobody else.

That irritates me. He really thinks he's capable of spotting talent that someone with 35+ years experience in professional football can't?

At the same time, I suppose I can also see why he doesn't seem to think it's such a big deal or that it's something unfair to ask of a manager. I don't agree with him, but I can sort of understand why he thinks he has the right to be the one to make that decision. Only thing, I can't imagine many managers agreeing to put themselves in that position.

Oh bugger.

So something has to give right?

I mean, he wont carry on forever this way.

So he'll leave, or relinquish more control to a manager?

Hilary Briss

I do hope he is serious and finds someone who also believes that.

Lets hope so mate.

Its not ideal but I feel slightly more positive now that he looks like he has some sort of plan. The manager is key though and something must happen this week !!

Archived