Was the First Goal Offside?

alwaysthereinspirit

From Section S main stand (which was reasonably in line) he did look offside. I immediately looked at the lino which is a bit of a giveaway

2 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

I thought he was on in my view in A but flag went up pretty quick 

The only time in the whole game that erse on the Wheatfield side put his flag up quick.

FarmerTweedy
2 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

Sitting in section T from there it was the correct decision to call offside . 

Sitting in section B, my first thought was that he was well off and I was having a good look at what the linesman was up to before I started to get out of my seat!

image.thumb.png.aa3558ed730c1723bbf5c6babf4d2d48.png

Looks onside to me if you compare the distance from the 6 yard box. Halkett is heading back towards Mulraney.

Edited by flem

48 minutes ago, flem said:

Looks like Washington is behind or level with Mulreany.

We’ve not had much luck recently but we’re in a rut and I don’t think we’ll get out it until Levein leaves.

Edited by Mr Rabbit

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 hours ago, flem said:

Looks onside to me if you compare the distance from the 6 yard box. Halkett is heading back towards Mulraney.

Funny I would have said off from that picture 

2 hours ago, flem said:

Mulraney offside and washington heading towards goal IMO.

Think Mulraney finishes it from inside the 6 yard box(might be wrong) but if he does defo offside

MarkDevriesScores4

Ref called it offside so there’s little discussion necessary. A mild distraction from the fact that we couldn’t  finish off the “poorest” team in the division. 

Edited by MarkDevriesScores4

3 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Mulraney offside and washington heading towards goal IMO.

Think Mulraney finishes it from inside the 6 yard box(might be wrong) but if he does defo offside

Why does it matter his position when he puts the ball in? You’ve lost me there.

7 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Funny I would have said off from that picture 

That is a screenshot after Washington heads the ball at which point he is in front of Mulraney.  

2 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

Why does it matter his position when he puts the ball in? You’ve lost me there.

The poster was trying to claim that Washington headed the ball backwards making Mulraney onside.

I disagree he was both offside when the ball was headed, and Washington headed the ball forward

Lord Beni of Gorgie
6 minutes ago, flem said:

That is a screenshot after Washington heads the ball at which point he is in front of Mulraney.  

I can't tell for sure  he is from the pic

3 minutes ago, merrymac said:

The poster was trying to claim that Washington headed the ball backwards making Mulraney onside.

I disagree he was both offside when the ball was headed, and Washington headed the ball forward

Fair enough mate.

4 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

I can't tell for sure  he is from the pic

It is tight for sure. I looked at both players proximity to the 6 yard line and concluded that Washington was ahead of Mulranay at the point he headed it. 

I wondered at the game whether the offside was against Washington because Mulraney looked to be behind the ball when it was headed. Pic is inconclusive as to Mulraney’s position at time of header but assuming he’s moving forward all the time, I’m still convinced he must have been behind the ball and onside. Hamilton certainly thought they’d won a watch with the call. 

Heading the ball backwards doesn't matter. At all.

Mulraney does look, from that photo, to have been farther away from the goal line than the ball was at the time Washington headed it, which would make him onside.

AlphonseCapone
19 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Heading the ball backwards doesn't matter. At all.

Mulraney does look, from that photo, to have been farther away from the goal line than the ball was at the time Washington headed it, which would make him onside.

Yes it does. You can only be offside from a forward pass. Not that he did head backwards on this occasion. 

6 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Yes it does. You can only be offside from a forward pass. Not that he did head backwards on this occasion. 

Mate, I was a qualified referee in the States. Believe me: the direction the ball moves has absolutely nothing to do with whether an attacker is offside. Here's law 11.

AlphonseCapone
6 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Mate, I was a qualified referee in the States. Believe me: the direction the ball moves has absolutely nothing to do with whether an attacker is offside. Here's law 11.

That's genuinely shocked me because I've always thought you can't be offside from a cutback. And I've played football for years and genuinely haven't seen it given. But according to this, I think it's a case that a lot of referees also, incorrectly obviously, think that's the case too;

https://www.dutchreferee.com/why-ball-direction-is-irrelevant-offside-case-study/

I was sitting pretty much exactly in line with it in section A and it was definitely offside (appreciate that the photo above makes it look close, however)

1 hour ago, AlphonseCapone said:

sorry Alphonse, that it incorrect.

if you are "in an offside position" when your teammate "touches" the ball, you are offside.

Your teammate playing it backwards is irrelevant, you would be returning from an offside position.

**not that that happened in this case anyway**

AlphonseCapone
27 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

sorry Alphonse, that it incorrect.

if you are "in an offside position" when your teammate "touches" the ball, you are offside.

Your teammate playing it backwards is irrelevant, you would be returning from an offside position.

**not that that happened in this case anyway**

Yeah get that now mate, I didn't realise.

Been schooled on kick ball by American, I'm throughly ashamed of myself @Justin Z

3 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Yeah get that now mate, I didn't realise.

Been schooled on kick ball by American, I'm throughly ashamed of myself @Justin Z

:lol:   emot-patriot.gif