Gary MacKay slavering again

Texia

SpruceBringsteen

Is there a spreadsheet somewhere I can consult to see how valid an ex player's opinion is? Would it tell me Eamonn Bannon's is half as important as Gary Mackays, but twice as important as Rudi Skacels?

:laugh:

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitch41

• wavydavy

• soonbe110

• sadj

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, Prof said:

Yes and talks a lot of sense that upsets the CL happy clappers.

Like Stewart he can make relevant points but its lost in the crossfire of his dislike of Levein. People seem to favor ineptitude as a description of Hearts as a football club just now and thats just not accurate is it. To claim we have a squad of 35 that if it was Romanov would be causing hissy fits is just ridiculous its a way to have a pop at the club. The FoH info he has shown he isnt up on even as a basic of what it does. We need a first team squad that covers first team and reserves (when mixed with some younger players. We know some will go out on loan also. So around 30 is where its at and thats sensible. Its also going to be within the budget and m wages/ turnover ratio that we have seen over the last few years. Our turnover is increasing that means spending on wages can increase. Its not a hard concept. Mackay is one of the Hearts all time greats that is where he differs from Stewart. That buys him some leeway with his opinions but only some. People like yourself just batter the club constantly and refuse to see any good and take the negative track in everything. Because others can be more measured doesnt make them happy clappers. That term is as pathetic as the Budge library chat. 

25 minutes ago, graygo said:

I suggest you read the article that this thread is all about. 

👍🏻

3 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

640 appearances v 1280 Hearts games watched. Who has best view of what’s gone on? 

I have less appearances and less games watched so my opinion is less valid than both but more valid than one or the other is that correct?

i wish jj was my dad
11 hours ago, Natural Orders said:

This

some people on here just don’t like it when someone says anything negative about hearts - they are in cuckoo land

Or Hearts fans get bored with arsewipes pretending to be Hearts fans spreading negative shite on here

Borders Jambo
9 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Or Hearts fans get bored with arsewipes pretending to be Hearts fans spreading negative shite on here

This.  I hope Gary is getting paid well for his articles for the Evening News because they wouldn't have been good enough for some of the good Hearts fanzines of yesteryear.

I always liked Gary as a player and as a fan.  Now he is in danger of tainting that reputation in my eyes.  Fair enough if you don''t get on with Craig L but at least make any criticism constructive.   

32 minutes ago, sadj said:

I have less appearances and less games watched so my opinion is less valid than both but more valid than one or the other is that correct?

Yes although some would have you believe that players know better than fans over the long haul just because they played a lot of games.  No idea where the phrase ‘a footballers brains are all in his feet’ came from but I have seen and heard many things that would suggest it’s very true in many cases. In the particular case being discussed I’d have to add it to the list of evidence proving the point. 

I like Gary but **** he must have been struggling for a topic to write about ..to get his couple of hundred quid.

Sad day when he stoops to this pish. 

FarmerTweedy
12 hours ago, GorgieRules22 said:

Again it’s fairly hard to disagree with the majority of what he says. 

It's actually piss easy to disagree with the majority of what he says, as the majority of it is slavering drivel.

The bit about how fans are funding the club every day through FoH contributions stands out. You'd think someone that's as big a Hearts man as Mackay is would at least have a vague idea about what's actually happening with FoH contributions! 

2 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

640 appearances v 1280 Hearts games watched. Who has best view of what’s gone on? 

I'm no fan of Mackay but surely  you're  at the wind up

Jambo 4 Ever
3 hours ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

I don’t agree

8 hours ago, wavydavy said:

You must have led a hell of a sheltered life if this shocks you.:lol:

The post below is clearly sarcasm.

9 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I am utterly shocked to see some of the names on here trying to justify that article. Shocked.

Edited by ri Alban

i wish jj was my dad
4 hours ago, Natural Orders said:

I don’t agree

Good. I'd be disappointed if you did. 

7 hours ago, jambocub said:

I'm no fan of Mackay but surely  you're  at the wind up

Not at all. Volume of games watched wins. 

Are you saying that every golf pro is a great golf coach? 

Mackay slavouring shite shocker .

The man occasionally comes out with a few hysterical belters - this is up there for utter shite.

he really would say anything for a couple of quid from that rag

Harry Potter
10 hours ago, sadj said:

I think i was more concerned about respect for a player that has played for my club so many times.

Not on valid points, like i said everyone is entitlled to their opinion.

Valid or not.

39 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

40 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

No sure if I've misread what you're saying .. as I'd had few pints 

Are you comparing mackays games played v the games you've watched?

7 hours ago, sadj said:

There is a shock. 

Who would most Hearts fans listen to, an ex player who has the clubs interests at heart or a JKB poster who spends his waking hours on the forum and consistently rams his views down other peoples throats.

1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

I think i was more concerned about respect for a player that has played for my club so many times.

Not on valid points, like i said everyone is entitlled to their opinion.

Valid or not.

Morning Harry. I wasn’t having a pop at anyone with that comment. Most Hearts fans on here have the clubs best interest at heart. That means their opinions are valid but my problem with Mackay isn’t that he doesn’t deserve respect. Its that when he comes out with what he did yesterday its poorly researched and just a way to have a pop. As far as respect goes Levein , Budge , Mackay even Stewart deserve that for representing the club. Any player who has played even one game deserves that. Its not given by many though.

Credibility is different and when you don’t research things or don’t use people’s names correctly or at all that credibility suffers. At some point (varying to each individual) that credibility is then gone. I put no stock in Mackays piece due to my opinion being his credibility has gone. 

27 minutes ago, Prof said:

Who would most Hearts fans listen to, an ex player who has the clubs interests at heart or a JKB poster who spends his waking hours on the forum and consistently rams his views down other peoples throats.

If thats a dig at me (I reckon i’m on less than most regular contributors to the board including yourself) then leave it as it was a response to a typical JiH post. If not then apologies. 

As I said to Harry does an ex players view if it was different yo yours mean you don’t have the clubs best interest at heart? Your opinion is just as valid as Mackays even if they are different. How much stock is put in it is dependent on how you put it across and your personal knowledge.

For instance you can take stats ie remove Neilson's Championship games and his win percentage would only be a couple of points higher than Levein’s. Considering many people argue Neilson was in second and doing well that would suggest Levein is doing ok. His win percentage is not much lower than JJ and his own first spell. Is that based on your personal knowledge accurate? No of course not we have barely strung two results together since October thats 10months. The football was poor to watch and even when it should of improved with players back we still couldn’t do anything. We had the joy of a Scottish Cup run something we don’t do often enough and some glorious failure in the final. Not the worst Hearts season far from the best. Signs are mixed this season though Motherwell and Celtic suggest we may well gel and be a force. Ross County suggested we would be lucky to win a game in League 2. Juries out on how it will go. 

However to state FoH money is going to the daily running and its not acceptable or we have a squad of 35 and its going to put us back in trouble is really out there. Look at our wages/turnover ratio the last few years. Do you think AB has suddenly gone oh being in control of finances building a solid foundation has been great lets **** it up by throwing it out the window and making our wages/turnover ratio unsustainable again? 

Even the most hateful of Hearts fans when it comes to AB will be able to admit that is just not how she runs the club. To do so would go against their business over football arguments for a start. 

47 minutes ago, sadj said:

Morning Harry. I wasn’t having a pop at anyone with that comment. Most Hearts fans on here have the clubs best interest at heart. That means their opinions are valid but my problem with Mackay isn’t that he doesn’t deserve respect. Its that when he comes out with what he did yesterday its poorly researched and just a way to have a pop. As far as respect goes Levein , Budge , Mackay even Stewart deserve that for representing the club. Any player who has played even one game deserves that. Its not given by many though.

Credibility is different and when you don’t research things or don’t use people’s names correctly or at all that credibility suffers. At some point (varying to each individual) that credibility is then gone. I put no stock in Mackays piece due to my opinion being his credibility has gone. 

In my eyes, his credibility has just gone up.

Anyone with ears and eyes knows that we’ve been churning far too many mediocre players through the club these past three years. Exactly how many are currently on the books is frankly a side issue. Whether FoH funds are paying wages, or providing back-up, is also a side issue.

His column therefore does its job by raising a valid point, imo. And even if it didn’t, he has more than earned his right to say what he darned well pleases.

Harry Potter
1 hour ago, sadj said:

Good post bud, tbf i talk to Gary now and again so im probably a bit biast.

3 hours ago, dc-jambo said:

His column therefore does its job by raising a valid point, imo. And even if it didn’t, he has more than earned his right to say what he darned well pleases.

👍

8 hours ago, ri Alban said:

The post below is clearly sarcasm.

Well it wasn't clear to me. It's often hard to tell on here.

...a bit disco
3 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

So Rory Currie pushing for a start on Satutday. 

Yup.

For Forfar.

I’m comparing any player who has played 640 games versus any fan who has watched twice as many. Either could be the better judge of football. Just because you play a sport professionally doesnt mean you have much idea how to coach, manage, organise, admin it. Hence my golf pro analogy. 

Lots and lots of footballers are far from experts on the game, you just have to listen to them. And that’s regardless of how many games they played. 

All my opinion of course but I have spoken to a fair few and come  away thinking that playing the game certainly gives you a different perspective from watching it. 

In any case the article in this weeks paper is about financing a club and whether the cost structure is sensible. I can pretty safely say the author of the article has virtually no experience in that area so shouldn’t be going there. 

7 hours ago, Prof said:

So it’s Mackay versus Mitch. Score draw I’d say. 

6 hours ago, sadj said:

Nail on head for me. Huge respect for him as a player, zero respect for him as journalist, football pundit and even less for the Levein witch-hunt. 

Gary does slaver a lot especially when he is eating something.

However we are top heavy in certain areas, of that there is no doubt.

Toxteth O'Grady
19 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

640 appearances v 1280 Hearts games watched. Who has best view of what’s gone on?  I think Gary has watched as many as that too

Edited by Toxteth O'Grady
Stuffed up

2 hours ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Yep, probably.  Many on here will have watched many more. Some will have watched very few. Any one of them could have the best insight into Hearts and football. That’s my point. Respect him for his performances and service to the club. That service and those performances do not however mean that his opinion/views are accurately based on fact nor worth listening to. Just like the rest of us. 

The whole pundit sector is just full of guys with axes to grind. We have three ex-players who are regular pundits. All three left with grudges or under clouds, guess what all of them are 95% negative about Hearts/Levein et al. 

Mackay, Preston, Stewart - the chips on the shoulders are very clearly evident. 

Sad because each of them do, at times, make good points however the innuendo and negativity always quickly comes to the surface. 

18 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Yep, probably.  Many on here will have watched many more. Some will have watched very few. Any one of them could have the best insight into Hearts and football. That’s my point. Respect him for his performances and service to the club. That service and those performances do not however mean that his opinion/views are accurately based on fact nor worth listening to. Just like the rest of us. 

The whole pundit sector is just full of guys with axes to grind. We have three ex-players who are regular pundits. All three left with grudges or under clouds, guess what all of them are 95% negative about Hearts/Levein et al. 

Mackay, Preston, Stewart - the chips on the shoulders are very clearly evident. 

Sad because each of them do, at times, make good points however the innuendo and negativity always quickly comes to the surface. 

Maybe that tells you a bit about the charatcter of Craig Levein then if he has so many people apparently holding grudges against him.

Lets face it also it's not just those three who are happy to have a pop at him so why is that? It's hardly because he has been so great as a Manager and won so much is it?

11 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Maybe that tells you a bit about the charatcter of Craig Levein then if he has so many people apparently holding grudges against him.

Lets face it also it's not just those three who are happy to have a pop at him so why is that? It's hardly because he has been so great as a Manager and won so much is it?

Why haven't you mentioned this before, Davy?

18 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Maybe because he has always just said things as they are rather than just being ‘nice’ all the time. Sometimes the truth hurts, just ask Graeme Hogg. 

Lets be honest if you were in charge of footballing matters at Hearts would you hire the article author as a coach? 

We gave MS too many chances as a player at Hearts. And as for biscuits well why did we ever sign him? He was never Hearts quality. 

Lots of ex-colleagues of Levein speak really highly of him eg Robbo, JC, Robbie but they never get space in the media because it’s only grievance stuff that papers want to publish nowadays. 

Dont get me wrong CL has made many mistakes but almost certainly fewer than the industry average. 

Edited by soonbe110

49 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Maybe because he has always just said things as they are rather than just being ‘nice’ all the time. Sometimes the truth hurts, just ask Graeme Hogg. 

Lets be honest if you were in charge of footballing matters at Hearts would you hire the article author as a coach? 

We gave MS too many chances as a player at Hearts. And as for biscuits well why did we ever sign him? He was never Hearts quality. 

Lots of ex-colleagues of Levein speak really highly of him eg Robbo, JC, Robbie but they never get space in the media because it’s only grievance stuff that papers want to publish nowadays. 

Dont get me wrong CL has made many mistakes but almost certainly fewer than the industry average. 

Is that not what MS and the others are doing?

The Hogg incident was a disgrace to Scottish Football.

JC is his mate and hardly going to say anything against him.

I don't know about Robbo but I think in Robbie's case he would not want to blot his copybook  as you never know if and when he might see an opportunity to return to Hearts again maybe as Manager.

I am not doubting that he may well be regarded highly by some just putting a counter argument to your rather slating remarks about those pundits.

There are always two sides to every story/argument.

10 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Is that not what MS and the others are doing?

The Hogg incident was a disgrace to Scottish Football.

JC is his mate and hardly going to say anything against him.

I don't know about Robbo but I think in Robbie's case he would not want to blot his copybook  as you never know if and when he might see an opportunity to return to Hearts again maybe as Manager.

I am not doubting that he may well be regarded highly by some just putting a counter argument to your rather slating remarks about those pundits.

There are always two sides to every story/argument.

No Michael Stewart in particular has a pop at every opportunity. 

Your other comments are a bit silly really. If MS was a pal would he be saying what he says? 

We have signed some high credibility players over the last few years, guys with lots of experience, caps etc, Naismith, Berra, Hughes, Cowie , even recently Whelan and Washington. Virtually everyone of them has said that CL was a big factor in them signing. As you say, two sides to every debate. 

54 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Gary 's next article will be complaining we've sent too many out on loan 😂

We have so many players out on loan that I think the Club should consider hiring someone, on a part-time basis, to basically look after all these young guys, check their form, whether the loan is working for them and just basically help them develop etc. Anyone else think it’s a good idea? 

Harry Potter
2 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

We have so many players out on loan that I think the Club should consider hiring someone, on a part-time basis, to basically look after all these young guys, check their form, whether the loan is working for them and just basically help them develop etc. Anyone else think it’s a good idea? 

As in a loan coach, gies a job.

2 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

No Michael Stewart in particular has a pop at every opportunity. 

Your other comments are a bit silly really. If MS was a pal would he be saying what he says? 

We have signed some high credibility players over the last few years, guys with lots of experience, caps etc, Naismith, Berra, Hughes, Cowie , even recently Whelan and Washington. Virtually everyone of them has said that CL was a big factor in them signing. As you say, two sides to every debate. 

Naismith gets himself a 4 year deal at nearly 33 no bad going. Berra came back here because it suited him for family reasons. Cowie and Hughes were just seeing out the end of their careers as could Whelan.

Washington is probably here more down to McPhee than anyone else.

I am not denying those are or were good signings more why they came to us.

That was my point about JC was that not silly also then?

2 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Naismith gets himself a 4 year deal at nearly 33 no bad going. Berra came back here because it suited him for family reasons. Cowie and Hughes were just seeing out the end of their careers as could Whelan.

Washington is probably here more down to McPhee than anyone else.

I am not denying those are or were good signings more why they came to us.

That was my point about JC was that not silly also then?

Yes, but do you honestly think they would also say the same thing about CL if none of them believed it? Surely not? 

Others we have spoken to but failed to sign also said the same thing about him eg Charlie Adam, James Morrison. 

Anyway , you believe what you want to and I’ll believe what I want to. 

Edited by soonbe110