A fresh start

Forever Hearts

7 minutes ago, Herbert said:

We should give him until December. I was for giving him the boot but he's signed quality this time and we need to see what he can do with them when they gel. Could be a the opposite from last year shit start and a strong finish.

Come on! Seriously!!!!!!!!!

If there isn't a good enough squad before the current crop of new players there will never be. 

"Time to gel", "patience", "right formation" etc etc..... it's the same arguments. We have signed a couple of good players by the looks of things and people are suddenly amazed by the transformation. Here is a question: hasn't CL and his bootroom boys been given enough time? Are two whole seasons not enough?

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nookie Bear

• Thomaso

• Mr Kipling

• Bazzas right boot

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Forever Hearts said:

I've been Levein's biggest critic recently but I'll hold my hands up and say that the new signings look good (on paper at least). Added to what is there already I reckon if we get motoring properly we could have a very good season so I'm calling a halt to the Levein bashing and giving him and his new signings my full support for the first round of fixtures. If it continues as it has been then I'd expect him to do the honourable thing and fall on his sword, but with this squad I'm hoping that won't be necessary. 

Good luck to Craig and the players. 🇱🇻

If Levein can't get us a top three finish with these players he should re-train and find a new career.

11 minutes ago, Mr Kipling said:

Isn't the point of a forum to reflect and discuss opinions by stating your point of view?

Not this forum, no.

This forum is for a handful of supporters to choose a stance and stick to it repeating the same things over and over and over again just to make sure everybody gets the point.

Is it not easier to just tell the truth and say, I don't trust the ownership anymore and I'm done.

Or, I completely trust in the ownership and will be as patient as possible and hope they get things right.

To simplistic ?

I left Tynecastle last Saturday very much in the Levein out camp.  I hadn't been either a big fan or big critic up to that point but that display showed me a real lack of tactics, shape, plan A, Plan B, playing Naismith on the left etc.  As much as I can see the bigger picture with the club and especially the academy of which I am sure Levein has had a lot of good input, I just thought last week that he's simply lacking tactically for the modern game.  The signings this week have cheered me up a lot, I like the look of the squad.   Every game is a fresh start especially after a bad result.  I am quite excited about the impact Whelan and the Goalie can make but it will now take a lot to convince me that we have the right manager in place.  

Cut The Crap

If the team starts winning games, he and we will all be fine again.

It's all in his hands.

Bazzas right boot

I agree to an extent. 

However, we must get results at home to Hamilton and Motherwell if not the cup game as well. 

I think we will, but the cup game is 50/50.

Once players get a bit match time and gel I'm confident we'll get going but we do need a few results in the immediate future to steady the ship and give a tangible indication that we can deliver and also to get the more vocal fans on side. 

Good to see the op  admit he was "bashing" our manager tho, maybe future postings could be more balanced and constructive, rather than "bashing" . 

Alex Kintner
3 minutes ago, Cut The Crap said:

If the team starts winning games, he and we will all be fine again.

It's all in his hands.

That’s it in a nutshell. He has the players. He must now deliver.

14 minutes ago, Noah Claypole said:

Not this forum, no.

This forum is for a handful of supporters to choose a stance and stick to it repeating the same things over and over and over again just to make sure everybody gets the point.

Is it not easier to just tell the truth and say, I don't trust the ownership anymore and I'm done.

Or, I completely trust in the ownership and will be as patient as possible and hope they get things right.

To simplistic ?

Yes.

Fresh start if we start acting like a team who is going for Europe now.

If not we are underachieving with the squad we have and it's time up for levein in a few weeks if nothing has changed

Forever Hearts
2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I agree to an extent. 

However, we must get results at home to Hamilton and Motherwell if not the cup game as well. 

Once players get a bit match time and gel I'm confident we'll get going but we do need a few results in the immediate future to steady the ship and give a tangible indication that we can deliver and also to get the more vocal fans on side. 

Good to see the op  admit he was "bashing" our manager tho, maybe future postings could be more balanced and constructive, rather than "bashing" . 

The last 10 months deserved a bashing so let's not kid ourselves that it wasn't justified. This is a fresh start so I'm prepared to give Levein and his new signings a bit of time, but not indefinitely. 

4 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I agree to an extent. 

Not looking to start fights or being a Richard. You reckon he’ll get as far as Hamilton/Motherwell at home if we get beat on Friday night? From what I took of Budge’s comments I sense that the cup run kinda saved him last season. Lose on Friday and I think he’ll be under huge, huge pressure. 

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

The last 10 months deserved a bashing so let's not kid ourselves that it wasn't justified. This is a fresh start so I'm prepared to give Levein and his new signings a bit of time, but not indefinitely. 

Deserved criticism, it deserved to be questioned and still does, but bashing is pointless. 

Anyway, let's hope we can win tommorow, and imo if we don't get results soon he won't see the first quarter. 

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Not looking to start fights or being a Richard. You reckon he’ll get as far as Hamilton/Motherwell at home if we get beat on Friday night? From what I took of Budge’s comments I sense that the cup run kinda saved him last season. Lose on Friday and I think he’ll be under huge, huge pressure. 

I think the pressure will increase, but I think he'd get the next few games to see if the team picks up with his new signings. 

I think we can win tommorow, but like most motherwell away games it's 50/50. 

Defeat there and no wins at home in the two after celtic would make a slow start a very poor one imo. 

1 hour ago, XB52 said:

So you agree with the op as he said see where we are after the first quarter. I totally agree with the op and most of your post. We need to kick on but, if we are still struggling in a couple of months then he will be gone imo

True, i just can't see it though.

I suspect it will be one step forward/one step back. Every game is a cup final for Levein right now and he needs the team to play like it.

I'm sure we now all expect us to thrash motherwell senseless, anything less than 10-0 will be a disgrace. with these new signings, some who have had no pre-season/lacking fitness/match sharpness we should stroll games. the further changes to the squad and line-up shouldn't be a problem they will all instantly gel, moving house which can be stressfull to mere mortals should be a breeze. instantly making all these new friends orientating yourself in a new country/city will be a breeze as well. expecting Whelan to chip in with a hatrick on Friday, afterall he played in englands 2nd division last season.

1 hour ago, Herbert said:

We should give him until December. I was for giving him the boot but he's signed quality this time and we need to see what he can do with them when they gel. Could be a the opposite from last year shit start and a strong finish.

Surely that should read, if they gel. I suggest that our style of play prohibits most of the players we recruit from gelling.

3 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Dont need an irrational dislike of Levein to have a view that it hasnt been good enough for months mate.

Post cup final performance I had hoped he'd step aside but was willing to back him when it became clear he was staying.

Having watched us away at east fife and against county, it appeared to me very little had changed so I'm back to wanting him gone.

Agreed the signings looked good but something isnt right with CL/backroom staff.

Unfortunately i agree.

He has had a fair few transfer windows and i dont think on the whole his signings are the issue (the odd one aside) its his style and inability to get the best from them.

Edited by Jamboelite

Give him until xmas

Unless he signs quality again in January then we give him until the summer

Unless he signs quality in the summer again though, then we give him until January

So it's all roses in the Levein garden again, takes a few signing to forget how poor a manager he is.

He's used up all his fresh starts, get him punted.

44 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I think the pressure will increase, but I think he'd get the next few games to see if the team picks up with his new signings. 

I think we can win tommorow, but like most motherwell away games it's 50/50. 

Defeat there and no wins at home in the two after celtic would make a slow start a very poor one imo. 

I think he’ll get tomorrow and that’s that, in my opinion of course. The next game is away to Celtic and although I think every side will take a skelping in Glasgow this year, I think it’ll be no going back with a defeat tomorrow. We 100% have the squad now, yeah Levein said we didn’t need midfielders or a goal keeper but credit where it’s due for accepting his error and sorting it. I just don’t think he’ll get the time to make it work. A smashing performance and a comfortable win tomorrow with Uche on the score sheet will shut me up......for a day or so 😂

AlphonseCapone
3 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Dont need an irrational dislike of Levein to have a view that it hasnt been good enough for months mate.

Post cup final performance I had hoped he'd step aside but was willing to back him when it became clear he was staying.

Having watched us away at east fife and against county, it appeared to me very little had changed so I'm back to wanting him gone.

Agreed the signings looked good but something isnt right with CL/backroom staff.

Great post. 

This has been one of our best windows in a long time. I'm willing to see how it goes for the next 5 or 6 games. If we are still playing the same way we are now with that squad, there's not a soul on the planet who can deny where the problem lies. 

He's definitely on a short leash but he deserves the time with these new signings.

It would be madness to back him in the transfer market then ditch him before he's even got the chance to utilise them.

I agree with the December shout. If we are middling come the winter break then he should probably go.

Bazzas right boot

I do fear it could be meltdown, I'm going to wait until after the home games, win them both and I think we'll hit the derby in good spirits and likely be playing to go third .

Tomorrow's game is a bit soon ( I understand that it was Craig's decision to wait for these signings) to demand a win imo , I still expect a win but away games there are generally 50/50.

A win tomorrow and 2 home wins we will be motoring nicely. 

Funny enough I am not shitting it going to Parkhead, we ofc might get skelped but....

Edited by Smith's right boot

David McCaig
2 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Great post. 

This has been one of our best windows in a long time. I'm willing to see how it goes for the next 5 or 6 games. If we are still playing the same way we are now with that squad, there's not a soul on the planet who can deny where the problem lies. 

Easter Road next month is likely to be a definitive moment in Levein's future.

Hopefully it will be confirmation that we have turned the corner following several excellent results rather than the final nail in his coffin.

David McCaig
1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

I do fear it could be meltdown, I'm going to wait until after the home games, win them both and I think we'll hit the derby in good spirits and likely be playing to go third .

Tomorrow's game is a bit soon ( I understand that it was Craig's decision to wait for these signings) to demand a win imo , I still expect a win but away games there are generally 50/50.

Funny enough I am not shitting it going to Parkhead, we ofc might get skelped but....

Tomorrow's game is not too soon.  It is one of two competitions we can win, and it is our 5th match in it this year... in Levein's 3rd season as Manager

4 hours ago, 19/05/2012 said:

Don’t think the style of football will improve but if signing whelan means that Naismith can move upfront then that should improve results

How many games is Naismith likely to play though.

He missed pre season and already has a niggling injury.

We have made some great signings however I woulx really live to see cover gor Naismith.

Someone who xan score goals. I don't think we have a nstural scorer other than Naismith.

I know that is a big ask as evety team is looking for a goal scorer but that should beour priority.

1 hour ago, Section Q said:

If Levein can't get us a top three finish with these players he should re-train and find a new career.

By top 3 I assume you mean 3rd? Rangers and Celtic are a closed shop again. 

indianajones

Jesus wept. 

We've been pish for 8 months and now we should give Levein a fresh start? 

He's lucky he has been given the chance to sign his way out of this. Any other club would've sacked and stopped his nonsense ages ago. I have zero faith in the man and would rather he left the club completely for a proper fresh start. 

What is it? 4 league victories this year or something like that? Utter pish. 

8 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Tomorrow’s game is one we should be looking to win, regardless of who has signed this week. It’s not too soon at all. 

In fact, we should see a reaction to last Saturdays game. 

I think it will take more than 3 games to turn this tanker around. 

2 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

By top 3 I assume you mean 3rd? Rangers and Celtic are a closed shop again. 

We should at least targets being within touching distance of those clubs by the end of the season. That means sorting out every other team in the league. 

Tynecastlesmychurch

Got to agree with the op. The squad looks really strong. Still potentially the young lad from man city to come in as well. Hopefully we move for Cummings. I think that would be the final piece in the jigsaw. But yeah I agree the squad has real potential. It's been a slow start but hopefully things will start to pick up soon.

7 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

We should at least targets being within touching distance of those clubs by the end of the season. That means sorting out every other team in the league. 

You think being close to two teams with five times and ten times our resources respectively, is a realistic target? 

Edited by Mr Elwood P

Just now, Mr Elwood P said:

You think being close to two teams with five times and ten times our resources respectably, is a realistic target? 

I think we can get close if we perform against every other team in the league. We can also take points off the old firm at home.

We were top of the league last year before injuries crippled us. We are stronger now so no reason why we cannot do the same.

annushorribilis III
2 minutes ago, glynnlondon said:

Another fresh start again wonder how long this will last before the inevitable shambles.

Meh.

This.

"The squad looks really strong" type stuff when all that's been done is add a long overdue goalkeeper (quality yet unknown) and a guy who has hardly kicked a ball in 3 months (admittedly very experienced but far from being the pacy, creative type the team really needs).  This is fundamentally the same "strong" squad that was overwhelmed by Ross County last week and has failed to deliver on the managers instructions yet again. Thankfully this is CLs last season. 

3 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I think we can get close if we perform against every other team in the league. We can also take points off the old firm at home.

We were top of the league last year before injuries crippled us. We are stronger now so no reason why we cannot do the same.

We'd be better trying to get close to Aberdeen first before we worry about Rangers and then Celtic. 4th place and another trip to Hampden would be a very good season. A cup win or 3rd would be exceptional.

Finlay James
2 hours ago, Peebo said:

How else do we take statements like “we aren’t going to do a lot of business this summer”, if not literally? I believe he meant that (why say it if not), and we have subsequently done a lot.To me, that feels shambolic.

If it’s taken the games this season to actually decide Zamal isn’t good enough, then replacing him with a loan signing (and in mean time extending the even worse Doyle’s contract), that feels shambolic.

Signing Jamie Walker and expecting him to be effective in wide midfield, that feels shambolic.

If Djoum leaving, Haring being injury prone or Lee wanting away has taken him by surprise, that feels shambolic. 

I’ve no issues with any of the individual signings, but yet another mass transfer window overhaul feels shambolic, particularly when he made a repeated point of saying we didn’t need one. 

You need a thesaurus 

1 hour ago, luckydug said:

I think a lot of people on here are going to be disappointed on Friday

When we beat Motherwell ☺

I think we will win comfortably on Friday. I think the players are hurting after Saturday and know they have to get a result and will take it upon themselves to go out and get a result & performance.

Rocky jamboa

Our signings this time have been a lot better than in the previous few years and I thought the line up on saturday looked good. However, why did we play so poorly? Is it levein's tactics? The players not feeling motivated? Poor coaching? 

I feel a better manager would get more out of the team and have us playing more entertaining football. 

Happy to get behind levein though but dont feel he is the right guy to take us forward longer term. 

1 hour ago, To Be Frank said:

That’s it in a nutshell. He has the players. He must now deliver.

Starting Friday, no more excuses!

2 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

We'd be better trying to get close to Aberdeen first before we worry about Rangers and then Celtic. 4th place and another trip to Hampden would be a very good season. A cup win or 3rd would be exceptional.

Let's go for a cup win* AND 3rd :)

*unless we are drawn away at celtic

4th would be poor imo. I would like to see us getting to Hampden more often. The boost it gives the club is amazing - not just financially, but in the minds of the supporters - and we will pick up trophies if we give ourselves enough chances.

hes had a fair few of these fresh starts has oor Craig.  But aye lets try be positive. hopefully the midfielder gets his permit and we defintely have a good team on paper. 

Just now, Nookie Bear said:

Let's go for a cup win* AND 3rd :)

*unless we are drawn away at celtic

4th would be poor imo. I would like to see us getting to Hampden more often. The boost it gives the club is amazing - not just financially, but in the minds of the supporters - and we will pick up trophies if we give ourselves enough chances.

How can 4th be poor after two 6th place finishes? We've got the 4th or 5th biggest budget so 4th and Hampden would be very good. Rangers and Celtic are spending £4m or £7m on a centre back and have players like Defoe and Edouard. Not sure how we can realistically compete.

heartandsoul
27 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Tomorrow's game is not too soon.  It is one of two competitions we can win, and it is our 5th match in it this year... in Levein's 3rd season as Manager

This, it's a game we must win.

10 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

6 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I can see both posts here but tend to agree more with the latter.

First and foremost we have to improve our league position this season. Cup success is all down to the luck of the draw.

4 hours ago, Forever Hearts said:

I've been Levein's biggest critic recently but I'll hold my hands up and say that the new signings look good (on paper at least). Added to what is there already I reckon if we get motoring properly we could have a very good season so I'm calling a halt to the Levein bashing and giving him and his new signings my full support for the first round of fixtures. If it continues as it has been then I'd expect him to do the honourable thing and fall on his sword, but with this squad I'm hoping that won't be necessary. 

Good luck to Craig and the players. 🇱🇻

Christ, best of luck to anything Hearts related oibviously, but how many fresh starts does Levein get?  And now he gets another one - in spite of a year of football which has at times been as poor as the stuff we watched in the late 70s - because he's got a goalie on loan and signed a 35 year old midfielder on a one year contract? We must be the most patient fans in football.

And expecting Levein to fall on his sword is a forlorn hope, tbh. I've supported him and had enough of him at various times, but one thing he's never been is willing to accept he's seriously  at fault.