Tax

jake

Just doing my self assessment.

I had to phone HMRC's advisor about something.

1 hour later I'm contacted saying I've a fraud matter on my account and press 1 if I want to avoid a warrant.

I pressed 1 out of amusement.

It's a scam obviously but I now worry that by pressing 1 I've solicited a charge to my phone bill.

They are right on it these scammers though and how can they access my number after phoning what you would hope was protected data ?

Answers in layman's terms if you dont mind thanks.

Auld Reekin'
5 minutes ago, jake said:

1 hour later I'm contacted saying I've a fraud matter on my account and press 1 if I want to avoid a warrant.

It's a scam obviously but I now worry that by pressing 1 I've solicited a charge to my phone bill.

They are right on it these scammers though and how can they access my number after phoning what you would hope was protected data ?

Could just be a coincidence, I suppose, as I believe there are a lot of these scam calls and emails happening. I get regular calls to my mobile which are almost certainly scams / spam but I never answer calls from unrecognised numbers.

Sawdust Caesar

I don't have an answer for you Jake but I would report that to HMRC. It could be a coincidence that they contacted you the same day you contacted HMRC but it could also  mean the scammers have found a way to get the number of folks who have just been in touch with the tax office. Out of curiosity what happened after you pressed 1?

17 minutes ago, Barack said:

In layman's terms...that was a bit silly, jake.

Call your phone provider, they'll provide you with the best advice, and they can look for any suspicious activity on your bill. Advise your bank too...just in case. And HMRC.

HMRC will never contact you over the phone. Not even for your amusement.👍🏻

I did contact HMRC's.

I didnt give any details .

As soon as I heard the voice I laughed and hung up.

I've checked my bill online it's fine.

Thanks though

15 minutes ago, Sawdust Caesar said:

I don't have an answer for you Jake but I would report that to HMRC. It could be a coincidence that they contacted you the same day you contacted HMRC but it could also  mean the scammers have found a way to get the number of folks who have just been in touch with the tax office. Out of curiosity what happened after you pressed 1?

Some guy with a dodgy accent answered it .

I hung up.

I phoned HMRC's after it .

They'd heard of it.

They are after your bank details.

Co incidence rings alarm bells .

Which is why I asked if anyone knew how they'd go about this.

20 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Could just be a coincidence, I suppose, as I believe there are a lot of these scam calls and emails happening. I get regular calls to my mobile which are almost certainly scams / spam but I never answer calls from unrecognised numbers.

I guess It was because the number was similar and soon after my call to the tax office.

But I was suspicious from the off.

That was a good shout from Barack about the tax office not contacting you over the phone.

Its a scam Jake and if you answered it you may find you are getting billed for calls they have made using your number. ts common here and some older people have given financial information. Others have bought gift cards and met an "agent" at a given place.

Auld Reekin'
3 minutes ago, jake said:

I guess It was because the number was similar and soon after my call to the tax office.

But I was suspicious from the off.

That was a good shout from Barack about the tax office not contacting you over the phone.

Yep: file alongside notifications of wins in lotteries you've never entered and emails from Nigerian princes.

The Internet
11 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Yep: file alongside notifications of wins in lotteries you've never entered and emails from Nigerian princes.

And Microsoft calling you to tell you you've got a virus. 

annushorribilis III
46 minutes ago, jake said:

It seems like an uncanny coincidence to me. I've had no contact with HMRC in years but I had the phone call you described about 2 weeks ago along with the usual car accident, "BT" telling me my internet has been hacked (we don't have BT internet) stuff. 

On more than one occasion I have filed Tax Returns on behalf of my wife and claimed a repayment.  Each time I have received a e-mail telling me she is due £X refund and asking for certain details.  As it happens the refunds due were different from my calculations and no computations were provided.   I concluded this was an inside job and wrote to HMRC telling them so.  I got an acknowledgment thanking me for the information.  They added that the matter would be looked into and  apologised that they would not be able to let me know the outcome (which is fair enough if some cretin is going to be sacked).

55 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

And Microsoft calling you to tell you you've got a virus. 

I got that one after buying a disc for a Microsoft program. It gave download instructions and advised if it didn't work to call this number . I did, I watched after making contact all ,my files zipping through the scr een, I told the woman to stop now, and she said they had found viruses but had secured them, I told her to get lost and closed down, Some time later I received a call from "Microsoft" about the contract I had signed, I responded in my second official language the word off being used frequently, and that was it finished. I do however still get regular calls from the same people, but getting less frequent as they take lessons in the Sharp class of verbiosity.

The disc was purchased at a respectable National store but neither they or Microsoft accept any responsibility.

Edited by bobsharp

4 hours ago, Barack said:

In layman's terms...that was a bit silly, jake.

Call your phone provider, they'll provide you with the best advice, and they can look for any suspicious activity on your bill. Advise your bank too...just in case. And HMRC.

HMRC will never contact you over the phone. Not even for your amusement.👍🏻

We do, but we will never discuss sensitive information without going through security first. Plus, we can't even threaten warrants even if we wanted to.

4 hours ago, bobsharp said:

Its a scam Jake and if you answered it you may find you are getting billed for calls they have made using your number. ts common here and some older people have given financial information. Others have bought gift cards and met an "agent" at a given place.

Checked all that out bob.