Jump to content
The Frenchman Returns

Portobello Beach Battle

Recommended Posts

Morgan

Scum will be scum, I suppose.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Auld Reekin'
6 hours ago, Cade said:

Teenage pricks being teenage pricks.

 

Hundreds of them came in to Brunstane by train. Feck knows where from.

 

The Undertones hit that never was...   :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Der Kaiser
3 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

 

Exactly. Not sure what's sadder, squad of young lads acting tragically after a bevvy or people in their 40s and 50s generalising about every youth in the land?

 

In fact I do, it's the latter. 

 

 That said, ive been hammered plenty times in my youth, acted stupidly and immature.....yet never became abusive, got into a fight, damaged property, spread litter everywhere etc.

 

I've no idea what went on at portobello.....i do know that teenage drunk me was actually quite a nice me. Annoying yes. Aggressive no.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lovecraft
4 hours ago, Morgan said:

Scum will be scum, I suppose.

 

 

 Yep.

 

It will never change, as the scum don't actually realise they are scum.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cruyff
10 hours ago, Mr 3 Putt said:

Neds will be neds. Porty is a shite beach anyway.

It is but when the pubs were closed due to covid, it was basically the only place that you could buy booze and get pished in the sun. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ri Alban
10 hours ago, theshed said:


Came from Glasgow and through the west 

:rofl:

Lets go to portobello beach when we can go to Loch Lomond, Ayr, Dunoon or any of the Isles. 

 

:Aye:

 

 

:yadayada: Glesga folk, no this is your own shite. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
John Findlay
45 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

:rofl:

Lets go to portobello beach when we can go to Loch Lomond, Ayr, Dunoon or any of the Isles. 

 

:Aye:

 

 

:yadayada: Glesga folk, no this is your own shite. 

I was at North Berwick yesterday. There was plenty people from the West there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FWJ

They were at it on the Meadows in the evening too apparently.  
Makes a change from Lothian Road I suppose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FWJ
6 hours ago, Auld Reekin' said:

 

The Undertones hit that never was...   :(

😁😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jack D and coke
1 minute ago, FWJ said:

They were at it on the Meadows in the evening too apparently.  
Makes a change from Lothian Road I suppose.

Not surprised that kicked off. I cycled through there about 4pm and it was heaving, groups of lads all getting pissed up and more groups all heading there carrying cases of wreck the meadows juice. 
Some pretty phenomenal poontang too btw😍 made me wish I was a few years younger. Sounded like a great day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Politbordeaux

Must be my age but things were far worse growing up in Edinburgh 80s-every night in most schemes/centre of town areas there were gangs roaming about causing havoc encouraged by the casual phenomenon. 

Nothing was recorded either, so I guess there was nothing for the pearl-clutchers to get lathered up by back then.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Weakened Offender
6 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

 

 That said, ive been hammered plenty times in my youth, acted stupidly and immature.....yet never became abusive, got into a fight, damaged property, spread litter everywhere etc.

 

I've no idea what went on at portobello.....i do know that teenage drunk me was actually quite a nice me. Annoying yes. Aggressive no.

 

 

 

So we agree, not all youths are as bad as the wee mob at Portie yesterday? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Salad Fingers
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

I was at North Berwick yesterday. There was plenty people from the West there.

 

How do you know? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jack D and coke
11 minutes ago, Politbordeaux said:

Must be my age but things were far worse growing up in Edinburgh 80s-every night in most schemes/centre of town areas there were gangs roaming about causing havoc encouraged by the casual phenomenon. 

Nothing was recorded either, so I guess there was nothing for the pearl-clutchers to get lathered up by back then.

 

Of course it was worse it’s the curtain twitchers again. There was busloads of lads who used to come down Musselburgh in my youth. Sometimes running battles and all the rest. Not saying I was particularly involved in much of it but I seen it plenty and used to actually enjoy it at times :lol: but there wasn’t all these weirdos around filming it and posting it on Facebook for people to get outraged about. Same with the football, seeing big brawls at away games was commonplace. Nowadays somebody says some bad words and everyone wanting them banned out the stadium. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
doctor jambo
1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

Not surprised that kicked off. I cycled through there about 4pm and it was heaving, groups of lads all getting pissed up and more groups all heading there carrying cases of wreck the meadows juice. 
Some pretty phenomenal poontang too btw😍 made me wish I was a few years younger. Sounded like a great day. 

Yeah, my 16 year old off down Ayr beach with a carry out yesterday with his mates.

MD20/20,  a football and girls everywhere.

Im not disgusted , I’m jealous!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Politbordeaux
14 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Of course it was worse it’s the curtain twitchers again. There was busloads of lads who used to come down Musselburgh in my youth. Sometimes running battles and all the rest. Not saying I was particularly involved in much of it but I seen it plenty and used to actually enjoy it at times :lol: but there wasn’t all these weirdos around filming it and posting it on Facebook for people to get outraged about. Same with the football, seeing big brawls at away games was commonplace. Nowadays somebody says some bad words and everyone wanting them banned out the stadium. 

Can you imagine the carnage back then if you'd also been locked down for 4 months?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
theshed
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

:rofl:

Lets go to portobello beach when we can go to Loch Lomond, Ayr, Dunoon or any of the Isles. 

 

:Aye:

 

 

:yadayada: Glesga folk, no this is your own shite. 


Ok then I must have just been dreaming that they were packed into the glasgow train I was on with their carry out’s 

 

From what they were saying it was all organised on social media 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jack D and coke
16 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Yeah, my 16 year old off down Ayr beach with a carry out yesterday with his mates.

MD20/20,  a football and girls everywhere.

Im not disgusted , I’m jealous!

 

 

Totally mate. The lassies are of a far better calibre these days too. Jealousy ripping out me😤😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jack D and coke
16 minutes ago, Politbordeaux said:

Can you imagine the carnage back then if you'd also been locked down for 4 months?

Just wouldn’t have happened would it. I’d have loved to have seen it to be perfectly honest. 
Better days without a shadow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry Potter
1 hour ago, Salad Fingers said:

 

How do you know? 

Their accent naw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Salad Fingers said:

 

How do you know? 

Probably calling each other china.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mauricio Pinilla

We'd have just stiff upper-lipped covid to **** back in the 80s.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Der Kaiser
2 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

 

So we agree, not all youths are as bad as the wee mob at Portie yesterday? 

 

Absolutely....but young me wasn't at the beach yesterday. If he was he'd have got very drunk, been polite and well behaved and failed to get off with any women.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Weakened Offender
9 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

 

Absolutely....but young me wasn't at the beach yesterday. If he was he'd have got very drunk, been polite and well behaved and failed to get off with any women.

 

😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Governor Tarkin
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Of course it was worse it’s the curtain twitchers again. There was busloads of lads who used to come down Musselburgh in my youth. Sometimes running battles and all the rest. Not saying I was particularly involved in much of it but I seen it plenty and used to actually enjoy it at times :lol: but there wasn’t all these weirdos around filming it and posting it on Facebook for people to get outraged about. Same with the football, seeing big brawls at away games was commonplace. Nowadays somebody says some bad words and everyone wanting them banned out the stadium. 

 

Much less bother in the schemes these days. In saying that, most of the late '80s early '90s stuff was teams jumping out of vans and cars and chasing other teams before beaing chased back to their vans and cars, etc. The running battles were more running and less battling in my teenage experience. I think most of us enjoyed the bravado and posturing more than the actual fighting. Then techno and eccies came along and changed everything. I'd wager most of yesterday's brawlers were chinged up gym boys.

Edited by Governor Tarkin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
luckyBatistuta
On 25/07/2019 at 22:40, Cade said:

Not exactly Mods v Rockers on Brighton beach, is it?

 

A few pigeon-chested milk-bottle coloured schemie laddies try to impress their oompa-loompah looking, chip-fat insulated schemie bursd by having a scrap.

 

:gocompare:

 

:rofl:

On 02/08/2019 at 07:42, jack D and coke said:

I seen a couple of videos of the “scrapping” 

Hilariously shite. Worse than the worst pavement dancing you’ve ever seen. 


I’m waiting 📱 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
luckydug

Folk talking about today's youth have short memories. 

Anyone old enough to remember the 'Mods and Rockers' culture of the nineteen sixties ? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, luckydug said:

Folk talking about today's youth have short memories. 

Anyone old enough to remember the 'Mods and Rockers' culture of the nineteen sixties ? 

 

👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
luckyBatistuta

It was carnage across the city last night. It was one of the worst nights I’ve experienced in 17 years of driving a taxi. An incredible amount of seriously drunk aggressive people around. I don’t know if it was because folk had been cooped up for so long, but it felt like I was trapped in an episode of the Walking Dead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Real Maroonblood
Just now, luckyBatistuta said:

It was carnage across the city last night. It was one of the worst nights I’ve experienced in 17 years of driving a taxi. An incredible amount of seriously drunk aggressive people around. I don’t know if it was because folk had been cooped up for so long, but it felt like I was trapped in an episode of the Walking Dead.

I don’t envy you have to deal with these scumbags.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jack D and coke
8 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

 

:rofl:


I’m waiting 📱 

 

 

 

It’s was last year these videos. This is an old thread lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
luckyBatistuta
2 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I don’t envy you have to deal with these scumbags.


I wonder sometimes myself😞 I’m not an aggressive confrontational person, so I don’t think I get as many problems as some. If you’re nice to most folk, they will be nice to you in return.

Had two guys last night who got in with about 10 cases of beer, cases of WKD and bottles of whisky. Whilst driving along he stabbed a can in the side and it started spraying all over the back of the taxi...why🤷🏼‍♂️🤬

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
luckyBatistuta
5 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

It’s was last year these videos. This is an old thread lol. 


🤣 😂🙄😞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
luckyBatistuta
6 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

It’s was last year these videos. This is an old thread lol. 


Just woke up, that’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Real Maroonblood
14 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:


I wonder sometimes myself😞 I’m not an aggressive confrontational person, so I don’t think I get as many problems as some. If you’re nice to most folk, they will be nice to you in return.

Had two guys last night who got in with about 10 cases of beer, cases of WKD and bottles of whisky. Whilst driving along he stabbed a can in the side and it started spraying all over the back of the taxi...why🤷🏼‍♂️🤬

Muppets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
John Findlay
4 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

 

How do you know? 

By overhearing their conversations.

Very difficult not to when in a crowded place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jack D and coke
18 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

 

Much less bother in the schemes these days. In saying that, most of the late '80s early '90s stuff was teams jumping out of vans and cars and chasing other teams before beaing chased back to their vans and cars, etc. The running battles were more running and less battling in my teenage experience. I think most of us enjoyed the bravado and posturing more than the actual fighting. Then techno and eccies came along and changed everything. I'd wager most of yesterday's brawlers were chinged up gym boys.

:lol: defo much more running man. Did occasionally descend into some scrapping, I saw a few bad ones, a guy I knew got the snooker ball in the sock and he was in a bad way but I was like a young Alan Wells in them days no fecker catching me😎

You could imagine if it was all filmed though like everything now. The outrage :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Irufushi
43 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:


 

Had two guys last night who got in with about 10 cases of beer, cases of WKD and bottles of whisky. Whilst driving along he stabbed a can in the side and it started spraying all over the back of the taxi...why🤷🏼‍♂️🤬


:rofl:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Der Kaiser
1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

It was carnage across the city last night. It was one of the worst nights I’ve experienced in 17 years of driving a taxi. An incredible amount of seriously drunk aggressive people around. I don’t know if it was because folk had been cooped up for so long, but it felt like I was trapped in an episode of the Walking Dead.

 

Remember to go for the head.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
luckyBatistuta
8 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

 

Remember to go for the head.......

:rofl:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
westbow
1 hour ago, luckydug said:

Folk talking about today's youth have short memories. 

Anyone old enough to remember the 'Mods and Rockers' culture of the nineteen sixties ? 

 

Early eighties too, getting chased by skinheids was fun. Running in a parka is pretty tough though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry Potter
15 hours ago, Morgan said:

Scum will be scum, I suppose.

 

 

Beyond me pal, 2 cans o lager then go crazy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry Potter
2 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

 

Much less bother in the schemes these days. In saying that, most of the late '80s early '90s stuff was teams jumping out of vans and cars and chasing other teams before beaing chased back to their vans and cars, etc. The running battles were more running and less battling in my teenage experience. I think most of us enjoyed the bravado and posturing more than the actual fighting. Then techno and eccies came along and changed everything. I'd wager most of yesterday's brawlers were chinged up gym boys.

Posturing, 🤣, very good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Debut 4
8 hours ago, ri Alban said:

:rofl:

Lets go to portobello beach when we can go to Loch Lomond, Ayr, Dunoon or any of the Isles. 

 

:Aye:

 

 

:yadayada: Glesga folk, no this is your own shite. 

Not saying this confirms anything about yesterday but Portobello was a common destination in the summer for Glaswegians way back. Maybe old habits die hard and are passed down the generations? There’s a docu about it somewhere too.


When I went to Springburn College for my job training, an old college tutor of mine from Glasgow( this is way back in the early 90s) said he used to come through too.  
 

As for North Berwick. My Uncle had a caravan onsite at the Gilsland park in the 70s and 80s. Although we were from Edinburgh, it’d be part of our summer holidays when I was a kid for a week, sometimes the whole 2. Place was heaving and many many folk from the West came through. People would befriend each other and sit for a peeve in each other’s caravan on alternate nights.  Good times then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
westbow
7 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Not saying this confirms anything about yesterday but Portobello was a common destination in the summer for Glaswegians way back. Maybe old habits die hard and are passed down the generations? There’s a docu about it somewhere too.


When I went to Springburn College for my job training, an old college tutor of mine from Glasgow( this is way back in the early 90s) said he used to come through too.  
 

As for North Berwick. My Uncle had a caravan onsite at the Gilsland park in the 70s and 80s. Although we were from Edinburgh, it’d be part of our summer holidays when I was a kid for a week, sometimes the whole 2. Place was heaving and many many folk from the West came through. People would befriend each other and sit for a peeve in each other’s caravan on alternate nights.  Good times then. 

My wife’s aunties are from Johnstone and they used to come through to Portobello every year - mind you that was 50 odd year ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Governor Tarkin
15 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

 

As for North Berwick. My Uncle had a caravan onsite at the Gilsland park in the 70s and 80s. Although we were from Edinburgh, it’d be part of our summer holidays when I was a kid for a week, sometimes the whole 2. Place was heaving and many many folk from the West came through. People would befriend each other and sit for a peeve in each other’s caravan on alternate nights.  Good times then. 

 

Whitley Bay for us. Playing chasey with your new pals around the caravans while the grownups sat around in deckchairs having a peeve. Good times indeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Debut 4
2 hours ago, westbow said:

My wife’s aunties are from Johnstone and they used to come through to Portobello every year - mind you that was 50 odd year ago.

👍🏻  Aye, it was back in Porty’s “heyday”.  There’s black and white footage of the beach during the summer of it being really busy constantly for a good period.  I also think it was popular for their September weekend trip. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Debut 4
2 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

 

Whitley Bay for us. Playing chasey with your new pals around the caravans while the grownups sat around in deckchairs having a peeve. Good times indeed.

Aye, same here.  Same script at any caravan park in those days I think.  👍🏻🙂.  
 

20 a side on the smallest patch of grass on the site with a fly away ba’ 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gjcc
3 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

 

Remember to go for the head.......


I assume you mean from the wummin who can’t afford the fare on arrival at their destination. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...