Never Let Them Forget

Hickey

Smithee
5 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

If Tierney goes and they get their 25 million upfront or more then septic will spend on a left back 

I’m hoping that Hickey is probably not in their timeline and developed enough just yet, and so they put their interest about elsewhere.

That said, if Hickey keeps progressing like he is at the moment, we need or should be bracing ourselves soon and for the huge amount of interest that will inveriably come his way

They've already bought his replacement 

johnthomas
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

If Tierney goes and they get their 25 million upfront or more then septic will spend on a left back 

I’m hoping that Hickey is probably not in their timeline and developed enough just yet, and so they put their interest about elsewhere.

That said, if Hickey keeps progressing like he is at the moment, we need or should be bracing ourselves soon and for the huge amount of interest that will inveriably come his way

Think they've already bought a left back

Whoops , as above

Edited by johnthomas

Hearts1975
Just now, Smithee said:

Who did they buy and is Tierney away ?(sorry, I didn’t know)

Hearts1975
1 minute ago, johnthomas said:

Think they've already bought a left back

Whoops , as above

Wasn’t aware mate, sorry 

Smithee
Just now, Hearts1975 said:

No worries, I was talking to a Celtic fan yesterday. He reckons it's just a case of getting the right price from Arsenal. They've signed a guy called Boli Bolingoli-Mbombo for 3 million from Rapid Vienna

Ribble
1 minute ago, Hearts1975 said:

Boli Mbombo, paid over 3m for him. Tierney not away yet but deal with arsenal seemingly getting closer but Celtic holding out for more up front (may well be due to fear over his injuries)

Hearts1975
3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

No worries, I was talking to a Celtic fan yesterday. He reckons it's just a case of getting the right price from Arsenal. They've signed a guy called Boli Bolingoli-Mbombo for 3 million from Rapid Vienna

1 minute ago, Ribble said:

Boli Mbombo, paid over 3m for him. Tierney not away yet but deal with arsenal seemingly getting closer but Celtic holding out for more up front (may well be due to fear over his injuries)

Thanks both 👍

Smithee
Just now, Hearts1975 said:

Thanks both 👍

:thumbsup:

busby1985

Heart Of Midlothian no longer have to sell or look to do business with the old firm, other than on terms that we decide. We can all go over what we think may or may not be wrong at the club at the moment but the one thing we can all agree on, is that we are in such a stable financial position that we don’t need to be held ransom to them anymore. If they want Hickey, Cochrane, MacDonald, Smith, Souttar, Berra, Bobby.........then they’ll pay what we want or they won’t get their man. If and when Rangers release Lafferty for nothing it will show what great business that was. 

On Hickey, he looks fantastic. Tall and athletic, everything that big clubs look for. He’s played 3 competitive matches for us and if never looked at him and not been impressed. 10 more games of that standard and Aidy White will have to wait another 3 years to play first team football. 

Kiwidoug

I very much doubt if Hickey will be interested in going anywhere for this season at the very least.

Morph
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

If 25m isn’t the right price then what will be?

Prices down south are mental so maybe you can say fair play to them for holding out but I thought they’d be biting their hand off at that price.  I think he’s a great player but he’s not really proven himself beyond a level that Celtic are constantly in the media slating when things don’t go their way in Europe. 

Heartsofgold
19 hours ago, Doc Rob said:

Christie was actually 32 when he won gold in Barcelona - an age at which people are starting to say a footballer’s legs have gone.

All Linford had to do was run in a straight line very fast. Pace isn't everything.  At 32 a footballer is mature and knows the game inside out.  He knows what to do in most situations and, if he's good enough, he can use his skills learnt over 20+ years playing to get past an opponent rather than just bursting past him at speed.  The ability to control the ball and visualise what to do with it are much more important than just being fast in my opinion.

Inch Hearts
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

He would be a good investment for the next LB. would they swallow their pride having released him last year after having him in midfield and pay good ££? Highly doubtful.

JamboAl
12 minutes ago, Morph said:

If 25m isn’t the right price then what will be?

Prices down south are mental so maybe you can say fair play to them for holding out but I thought they’d be biting their hand off at that price.  I think he’s a great player but he’s not really proven himself beyond a level that Celtic are constantly in the media slating when things don’t go their way in Europe. 

I think Celtic are willing to accept £25m but up front, not in instalments and add-ons.

I hope when they get it and come calling for a Scottish based player like Hickey, or even someone in a different playing position (Turnbull), they remember the "up front" bit as cash flow is particularly important to smaller clubs.

jack D and coke
5 hours ago, Heartsofgold said:

All Linford had to do was run in a straight line very fast. Pace isn't everything.  At 32 a footballer is mature and knows the game inside out.  He knows what to do in most situations and, if he's good enough, he can use his skills learnt over 20+ years playing to get past an opponent rather than just bursting past him at speed.  The ability to control the ball and visualise what to do with it are much more important than just being fast in my opinion.

Absolutely agree with all that but pace is a wonderful attribute for a footballer in the modern game, particularly over about 4-5 yards. If you can’t beat someone to the ball or get away from them you start to fall into the average categories for me. Speed of thought like Pirlo type players are rarer than hens teeth. 

You can get faster with the right training too. 

Doc Rob
6 hours ago, Heartsofgold said:

You misunderstand me - I agree 100% that there are things in football that are more important than outright pace. Sproule had lots of pace but not a lot else.

The point I was trying to make was that people tend to assume that raw pace will always diminish with age, which may be true in many cases, but isn’t universal, as demonstrated by men winning Olympic sprint titles on the wrong side of 30.

Heartsofgold
56 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

You misunderstand me - I agree 100% that there are things in football that are more important than outright pace. Sproule had lots of pace but not a lot else.

The point I was trying to make was that people tend to assume that raw pace will always diminish with age, which may be true in many cases, but isn’t universal, as demonstrated by men winning Olympic sprint titles on the wrong side of 30.

Yeah I can see that but another thing is that footballers have to deal with a lot of impact injuries all through their career not just muscle or ligament injuries. That can have a serious detrimental impact on their turn of pace. However I do see what you’re getting at.