Hickey

Never Let Them Forget

letsalldothebeattie

The boy is going to go far I think, think hes good now I think he is going to be a top top left back in a couple of years. Might be a bold statement but to me he looks like he already going to surpass Tierney 

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr Elwood P

• JamboAl

• Kiwidoug

• NB GIN

Son Of Anarchy

Looks superb. So confident considering his age. There's more than just him coming through too so plenty to look forward to

This lad is going to be phenomenal.

I have absolutely no doubt that after two practically flawless performances in front of the camera he will have caught the attention of scouts all over the country.

Celtic will be all over this lad soon enough. 

We we won’t ever see the best of him in maroon but what we will see is a ridiculously large amount of money for a teenager.

5 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

I have absolutely no doubt that after two practically flawless performances in front of the camera he will have caught the attention of scouts all over the country.

We we won’t ever see the best of him in maroon but what we will see is a ridiculously large amount of money for a teenager.

Celtic already had him before us.

They also let Andy Robertson go.

23 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I know.

It doesn’t mean they won’t go after him again.....it actually probably enhances the chances tbh.

Footballfirst
22 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

And we had him before Celtic.

For those questioning his pace, players do get quicker with experience, particularly over the first and most important nine inches ............. the bit between the ears.  :whistling:

11 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

And we had him before Celtic.

For those questioning his pace, players do get quicker with experience, particularly over the first and most important nine inches ............. the bit between the ears.  :whistling:

The great thing about Hickeys performances is that, IMO, he isn’t the the pick of the bunch coming through. He looks really promising but so do others. 

Mr Elwood P
18 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

The great thing about Hickeys performances is that, IMO, he isn’t the the pick of the bunch coming through. He looks really promising but so do others. 

Who is the standout?

Footballfirst
12 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

That remains to be seen, but for many players it's more about of taking your opportunity when it presents itself, through somebody else's misfortune through injury, suspension or loss of form.

Just playing with the first team can boost a young player's level of performance and make them believe that they are good enough to stay there.

I think Hickey has grown in confidence with each outing with the first team. Let's hope it continues and he establishes himself as one of the first names on the teamsheeet.  

8 hours ago, DH1986 said:

If he avoids injury and develops,they won't be able to afford him.We have to make sure we manage his contract properly for sure.

David McCaig
10 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

In my opinion Hickey looks light years ahead of any youngsters we have produced in recent times.

David McCaig
10 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

That remains to be seen, but for many players it's more about of taking your opportunity when it presents itself, through somebody else's misfortune through injury, suspension or loss of form.

Just playing with the first team can boost a young player's level of performance and make them believe that they are good enough to stay there.

I think Hickey has grown in confidence with each outing with the first team. Let's hope it continues and he establishes himself as one of the first names on the teamsheeet.  

He seems incredibly level headed, indeed less than a week after the Cup Final, my 14 year old 

son was having a kickabout with his friends down at Scotstoun Sports Centre in Glasgow and Aaron was there with his pals playing as well!!

Couldn't have been nicer and made a point of chatting with my son (who was wearing his Hearts kit).

10 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Who is the standout?

For me it’s Smith. Think Logan has lots of potential as well though both still only 17. Will be interesting to see how they bulk up in next 12-17 months. Ritchie and Sandisin also look excellent. 

Mr Elwood P
1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

For me it’s Smith. Think Logan has lots of potential as well though both still only 17. Will be interesting to see how they bulk up in next 12-17 months. Ritchie and Sandisin also look excellent. 

How about Hamilton and Stone? They seem to be the two I hear about most often.  

5 hours ago, Four faces said:

If he avoids injury and develops,they won't be able to afford him.We have to make sure we manage his contract properly for sure.

I'm not sure how we do that.

If we give a young player a 5 year contract (assuming we are allowed to) and his form reaches a plateau, or he receives a really serious injury, we can end up with a noose around our neck.  If we only offer a young player a one or two year contract and his form spirals we might finish up with no more than a development fee.

Stick or twist?

Five year contracts are a no - mind what happened when Vlad signed all those boys including Mole on long term deals? 

Hickey looks great but folk need to to rein  it in a bit. He’s only played two games and will inevitably have a massive dip in form and not look like the player we’ve seen so far. As long as the management do right with him, the fans don’t get on his back too much(which some will) and his attitude remains good through hard work - he should do well. Great potential though. 

On 13/07/2019 at 10:11, jambo_No5 said:

Absolutely brilliant prospect. Need to be very careful with him though. 

Did I hear right late in the 2nd half when Bobby had the ball and Hickey was absolutely shattered and didnt/couldn't move to receive the ball, did some fans really moan at the young boy? I hope someone will say I'm wrong and clarify what happened. 

I don't think so. There were a couple of murmurs but I think they were directed at Bobby by people that hadn't noticed that Hickey had told him not to release the ball early to him as he was gubbed.

45 minutes ago, Gavman81 said:

Five year contracts are a no - mind what happened when Vlad signed all those boys including Mole on long term deals? 

Hickey looks great but folk need to to rein  it in a bit. He’s only played two games and will inevitably have a massive dip in form and not look like the player we’ve seen so far. As long as the management do right with him, the fans don’t get on his back too much(which some will) and his attitude remains good through hard work - he should do well. Great potential though. 

Which is?

Captain Sausage

Boy is a class act. Calm, composed and reads the game well. No doubt his form will drop (see Cochrane a coupe of seasons ago) but hopefully White can come in too along with Garrucio. 

Think we’ve got a gem on our hands. He’ll be the first of a few academy players to make us 7 figures. 

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

I'm not sure how we do that.

If we give a young player a 5 year contract (assuming we are allowed to) and his form reaches a plateau, or he receives a really serious injury, we can end up with a noose around our neck.  If we only offer a young player a one or two year contract and his form spirals we might finish up with no more than a development fee.

Stick or twist?

Maybe a 3 year contract, then with year extension when necessary.No rocket science.It all comes down to the player in the end anyway so it's admittedly tricky to cash in at a height.

2 minutes ago, Four faces said:

Maybe a 3 year contract, then with year extension when necessary.No rocket science.It all comes down to the player in the end anyway so it's admittedly tricky to cash in at a height.

Precisely

4 minutes ago, Four faces said:

So we give him a 3 year contract which at 20 he refuses to sign (like Patterson).  What then does your rocket science tells us?

Edited by JamboAl

Jambof3tornado

Boy is a good prospect but thats all. Lets just see how he develops over the next 12 to 18 months.

Hate youngsters being hyped up too much, enough pressure on them as it is.

1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

So we give him a 3 year contract which at 20 he refuses to sign (like Patterson).  What then?

You tell me.With a year left and a refusal to extend then try and cash in.Don't let them go for nowt.Already pointed out it was tricky.

1 minute ago, Four faces said:

You tell me.With a year left and a refusal to extend then try and cash in.Don't let them go for nowt.Already pointed out it was tricky.

I don't think there is any fool proof method of getting it right with every player and apart from a development fee there is always the possibilty that they can go free.

PS -I know you inferred it was tricky but you also said it was not rocket science by offering a 3 year contract.

2 year deal with the option of extending it another year if we choose. If he continues as he has, offer the same deal on improved terms at the end of this season. Rince and repeat until he no longer wants to sign or becomes shite or we can't afford the terms. 

Edited by Normthebarman

2 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I don't think there is any fool proof method of getting it right with every player and apart from a development fee there is always the possibilty that they can go free.

PS -I know you inferred it was tricky but you also said it was not rocket science by offering a 3 year contract.

Yes .Don't think an initial 3 year contract on improved terms would be an issue to be honest.What happens thereafter would be the tricky bit.

jack D and coke
On 13/07/2019 at 10:36, hereford_hearts said:

So Linford Christie was faster at 17 than when he won the Olympics?

Exactly. Pace can be worked on. 

I love how switched on he is - that moment in the first half where he got a toe in to beat the Utd player then immediately ran into the space the attacker had left to allow us to quickly break up the field was class.

53 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Christie was actually 32 when he won gold in Barcelona - an age at which people are starting to say a footballer’s legs have gone.

As DOF its on Levein to make sure the contract structure is built in such a way that we maximise the value of our youngsters. 

I recall either him or Neilson mentioning something to the effect of that they expect academy lads to be more loyal than previously (walker et al) because they will have built a strong relationship with the management team at Hearts. I.E Levein being there and them sort of knowing him from the age of 12 or whatever should make them less inclined to **** the club over at the first opportunity. I think this might have been said in the 2014 or 2015 agm minutes? Someone should maybe fact check that. 

Motherwell seem to have in recent years worked hard to make sure their kids are at least going for development fees. 

1 hour ago, OTT said:

As DOF its on Levein to make sure the contract structure is built in such a way that we maximise the value of our youngsters. 

I recall either him or Neilson mentioning something to the effect of that they expect academy lads to be more loyal than previously (walker et al) because they will have built a strong relationship with the management team at Hearts. I.E Levein being there and them sort of knowing him from the age of 12 or whatever should make them less inclined to **** the club over at the first opportunity. I think this might have been said in the 2014 or 2015 agm minutes? Someone should maybe fact check that. 

Motherwell seem to have in recent years worked hard to make sure their kids are at least going for development fees. 

Tell me how you have to work hard to get development fees ?

There are rules re development fees and its that simple

Another little post trying to put a subtle or in your case not so subtle dig at the club and the manager

Edited by CJGJ

Finlay James
7 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

There are a few with real potential, that's for sure and all of them are supremely confident and comfortable on the ball.  Smith, Logan & Stone look the standouts for me so far.

Im surprised that Dean Ritchie hasn't featured for the 1st team as yet.  People I know at the club rate him very highly.

3 hours ago, OTT said:

I don' think they'll do well with Cadden if/when he goes to Oxford or Sunderland.

gorgie rd eh11

Looks great for a 17 year old, i hope he gets the leeway to have the odd below par performance. 

One bad game is usually enough bring out the "not good enough" brigade though. :teehee:

3 hours ago, CJGJ said:

Tell me how you have to work hard to get development fees ?

There are rules re development fees and its that simple

Another little post trying to put a subtle or in your case not so subtle dig at the club and the manager

I was under the impression that Motherwell were doing something to ensure that any youngsters contract was timed to expire in the final year that they would still be eligible for a development fee (Cadden for example). Someone made that point a while back and it stuck with me because it seems like good business.

Not really. My view is pretty consistent. I like what Levein has done off the field in building the academy back up but continual mid table finishes for a club our size isn't on. If we're heading for that again this season then as head coach he needs to review his position and potentially consider letting someone who he shares a view on football with to take over again as head coach.

The quality of youngsters coming through ATM is indisputable. All seem to be technically excellent and very much footballers (as opposed to athletes that happen to play football). I like Levein a lot and have a massive amount of respect for him, he's doing something unique and special for our club that I don't think many people would be keen to take on (since you can make silly money getting sacked repeatedly down south). Despite being a hearts fan I felt worse for him losing that final than anything else. 

I really don't think my view is extreme tbh.

Weakened Offender
7 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Linford is proof that performances can be enhanced at any age.

jack D and coke
12 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Linford is proof that performances can be enhanced at any age.

Hopefully Hickey won’t need the roids tho 😬

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

Hopefully Hickey won’t need the roids tho 😬

Allegedy😉

FarmerTweedy
10 hours ago, JamboAl said:

PS -I know you inferred it was tricky but you also said it was not rocket science by offering a 3 year contract.

The most important thing that the club need to ensure regarding his development is that he learns the correct meanings of infer and imply! 😉

On 13/07/2019 at 10:36, hereford_hearts said:

So Linford Christie was faster at 17 than when he won the Olympics?

No he wasn’t for sure , my point is I think he will turn into a midfielder as the boy has so much composure and technically is excellent 

If he is to progress at the top level it won’t be as a wing back as he isn’t blessed with pace for that role at EPL level 

For 16 he is possibly the most confident composed player I have seen and without doubt for me it’s a future midfielder 

FarmerTweedy
1 minute ago, NB GIN said:

No he wasn’t for sure , my point is I think he will turn into a midfielder as the boy has so much composure and technically is excellent 

If he is to progress at the top level it won’t be as a wing back as he isn’t blessed with pace for that role at EPL level 

For 16 he is possibly the most confident composed player I have seen and without doubt for me it’s a future midfielder 

How about for 17?

gashauskis9

I’m awaiting the “Celtic bid £50k for Jambos wonder kid as long term replacement for Tierney” headlines to surface soon.

On 14/07/2019 at 09:26, DH1986 said:

I know.

It doesn’t mean they won’t go after him again.....it actually probably enhances the chances tbh.

If Tierney goes and they get their 25 million upfront or more then septic will spend on a left back 

I’m hoping that Hickey is probably not in their timeline and developed enough just yet, and so they put their interest about elsewhere.

That said, if Hickey keeps progressing like he is at the moment, we need or should be bracing ourselves soon and for the huge amount of interest that will inveriably come his way