Scottish grounds no longer with us

Maroon Sailor

9 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

afraid not

Peterhead, forget the name of the park, but remember the wee wall behind the goals.

1 - 2, what a trek to watch that!!

Ian Cathro, we've got.....song from Dens Park in his 1st game, 2 - 0 up only to lose 3 - 2 with the Dees singing

Ian Cathro., you've got:facepalm:

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• 2205ian

• Poseidon

• Corstorphine Jambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, 2205ian said:

Peterhead, forget the name of the park, but remember the wee wall behind the goals.

1 - 2, what a trek to watch that!!

Ian Cathro, we've got.....song from Dens Park in his 1st game, 2 - 0 up only to lose 3 - 2 with the Dees singing

Ian Cathro., you've got:facepalm:

Yep, Peterhead, although the ground was called Recreation Park close to the town centre which they moved out of a couple of years before they joined the SFL in c.2000.

13 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

Yep, Peterhead, although the ground was called Recreation Park close to the town centre which they moved out of a couple of years before they joined the SFL in c.2000.

Right team, but wrong ground for me:thumbsdown:

2 minutes ago, 2205ian said:

Right team, but wrong ground for me:thumbsdown:

And the team you initially said for that ground were the owners of the other one I posted haha!

12 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

And the team you initially said for that ground were the owners of the other one I posted haha!

Aah, Cove Rangers? :wallbash:

Keeping to the original topic, should have ruled out Prestonfield!!

I'm giving in, started viewing last night at 11:45pm with Maroon Sailor entries & got to bed at 1:00am:lol:. Glad I've retired (early)!

2 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

Two more than none of you will recognise :)ground2.jpg

ground3.jpg

Stop posting them!!!!

Bottom will be Highland League, based on advertising boards. Inverness Caledonian? & because of that guess, I'm going for Inverness Thistle for the top picture

1 minute ago, Poseidon said:

Correct and yes, I'm stopping now!

:lol:.

Thanks, quite enjoyed racking my brains, but it's time to give other posters a chance:thumbsup:

4 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_4167.JPG

Royal Gymnasium, St Bernards FC at Eyre Place. You can still see the gates that led down to the ground

Blackshades
2 hours ago, Poseidon said:

ground3.jpgbottom one is Telford street .I think the top one was kingswells or something like that

Hannibal Lecter
5 hours ago, Poseidon said:

Another one.....

ground.jpg

Pretty Sure it's Cove Rangers old ground.

21 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Shawfield?

Yeah - dog track and floodlights round the edge. 

7 hours ago, 2205ian said:

Nitten Park, Newtongrange?

BINGO!

Actually Victoria Park...

Samuel Camazzola
23 hours ago, Corstorphine Jambo said:

East Fife’s Bayview

I played in the last ever game at Bayview Park in 1998. 👍 

21 hours ago, 2205ian said:

Can anyone put me out my misery.......I seem to remember Alan Anderson getting sent off in 1st half of a 2 - 0 defeat for a stamp on Alex Ferguson at Brockville, or is this just my mind playing silly beggers?

Another game that springs to mind there was Arthur Thomson playing centre forward as we were on a run of about 6+ games without a goal. It was a midweek match, lost 2 - 1, Arthur did NOT score or play centre forward again!!

My first away game, I think it was 1971. My memories of it are - Fordy getting a goal chalked off for offside fairly early on. Garland playing instead of Cruickie as Cruickie's dad had died. Anderson did get sent off (can't remember what half though). I thought Fergie also got sent off too but can't remember. We were 2-0 down at half time, the 2nd goal was a penalty. Ernie hit the bar. Oh and Falkirk's floodlights looked shite :)

16 minutes ago, Groatallar said:

My first away game, I think it was 1971. My memories of it are - Fordy getting a goal chalked off for offside fairly early on. Garland playing instead of Cruickie as Cruickie's dad had died. Anderson did get sent off (can't remember what half though). I thought Fergie also got sent off too but can't remember. We were 2-0 down at half time, the 2nd goal was a penalty. Ernie hit the bar. Oh and Falkirk's floodlights looked shite :)

:thumbsup:

Wow, impressive. I wonder what the youngsters comments on here would be like when watching the prowess of Ernie:lol:

Falkirk were the opponents for my 1st Jambos game. Home at Tynecastle on a Friday night in January 1964 (Rugby International at Murrayfield on the Saturday). We won 4 - 0. When I paid a visit to the museum, I mentioned this to Davy Allan who promptly brought up the match report on his phone!!

Doctor FinnBarr
7 hours ago, Poseidon said:

ground3.jpg

I stood in that bottom pics shed when we played Caley in a testimonial.....mid 80s perhaps. The game Perez played as a trialist.

8 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Alan Anderson sent off after a clash with Fergie - Dec 71

https://londonhearts.com/scores/games/197112111.html

Thanks M S. The website is really impressive, must take time to navigate round it in greater detail.

Here's me getting AA sent off in the 1st half, good try putting result down to playing with 10 men for most of the match:sad3:

I clearly remember the stamp which when you consider his demeanor off the field was a bit out of character. Saying that, Alan Anderson did have a mean streak on the park. 

On 09/07/2019 at 22:48, Corstorphine Jambo said:

Hamilton’s (Old) Douglas Park?

Lol most of the seats are tucked in the corner

Maroon Sailor
35 minutes ago, Phage said:

Lol most of the seats are tucked in the corner

They were added later on

IMG_4173.thumb.JPG.2d136e0eba3d07262d82040e529a7ceb.JPGIMG_3322.JPG.016b8054500baa73686b2376d3f059c6.JPG

Have a bad memory of Hearts being absolutely garbage here losing 3-1 in the old first division days.

Just checked London Hearts and looked at the team that played that day - enough said !!

https://londonhearts.com/scores/games/197910131.html

The ref says it all as well !

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Doctor FinnBarr
16 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

They were added later on

IMG_4173.thumb.JPG.2d136e0eba3d07262d82040e529a7ceb.JPGIMG_3322.JPG.016b8054500baa73686b2376d3f059c6.JPG

Have a bad memory of Hearts being absolutely garbage here losing 3-1 in the old first division days.

Just checked London Hearts and looked at the team that played that day - enough said !!

https://londonhearts.com/scores/games/197910131.html

The ref says it all as well !

Was Number 3 Blackies dad? For the life of me I just can't remember him and I was at every game that season

Ronald Villiers
23 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

This place was always tasty

IMG_4163.JPG

Coming from Falkirk I'd go to a few games at Brockville with my mates when we were playing away.  Total dump but decent atmosphere.  Saw some good wins for us there but also the odd loss such as the 4-0 Scottish Cup defeat.  The building in the image is someone's house and remains in the car park at the top end of the now Morrison's supermarket car park.  The window you can see is the bathroom window and the owner used to go range if you banged on it lol.  I remember Jean Louis Valois playing as a trialist in a pre season game at Brockville.  He was by far the best player on the pitch.  

10 hours ago, Blackshades said:

I worked with an guy who was a Jags supporter on the houses at Kingsmill park. He was close to tears.

Cairneyhill Jambo

Not Scottish but this is the stadium where Hearts drew 1-1 with Mallorca in the Cup Winners Cup in October 1998.mallorca.jpg.a553531bd2b3eee0aaeda8bad79e9a8d.jpg

Edited by Cairneyhill Jambo

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Not Scottish but this is the stadium where Hearts drew 1-1 with Mallorca in the Cup Winners Cup in October 1998.mallorca.jpg.a553531bd2b3eee0aaeda8bad79e9a8d.jpg

The game where the goals weren’t big enough iirc. Did they not reach the final that year or I’m getting mixed up🤔

Whats happened to Majorca they just move ground? 

Why do the Spanish just abandon older structures it really makes the place look a right state. Absolutely everywhere in Spain this type of thing. 

Cairneyhill Jambo
24 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

The game where the goals weren’t big enough iirc. Did they not reach the final that year or I’m getting mixed up🤔

Whats happened to Majorca they just move ground? 

Why do the Spanish just abandon older structures it really makes the place look a right state. Absolutely everywhere in Spain this type of thing. 

I can remember Hearts wanted to lodge an appeal.  They beat Chelsea in the semi final but lost the final.

Mallorca moved to the Son Moix Stadium a few years ago.  They still own the old stadium and they were thinking of renovating it and moving back but I think they hit financial difficulties.  They might take it forward now since they got promoted to La Liga this season.

Edited by Cairneyhill Jambo

jack D and coke
10 minutes ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

I can remember Hearts wanted to lodge an appeal.  They beat Chelsea in the semi final but lost the final.

Mallorca moved to the Iberia Stadium a few years ago.  They still own the old stadium and they were thinking of renovating it and moving back but I think they hit financial difficulties.  They might take it forward now since they got promoted to La Liga this season.

👍🏼

Spitonastranger
18 hours ago, Poseidon said:

ground3.jpg

First is Rob Roy, is the second Kilsyth Rangers

Edited by Spitonastranger