Chris Hamilton

Selkirkhmfc1874

Not a bad shout. Only seen him a couple times but looked calm assured and aggressive at the same time. 

Not seen enough of him. Is it not a bit of a big game to throw him in if it isn’t his usual position?  Nearly ruined Zal that way, and he was about 22. Maybe he’d excel, but I’d be a bit worried.

GorgieRules22
10 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

That's who I'd like to see play the Peter Haring position against Dundee utd! Thoughts?

He could certainly play there but it won’t happen on Friday.

Clerry Jambo
2 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Not seen enough of him. Is it not a bit of a big game to throw him in if it isn’t his usual position?  Nearly ruined Zal that way, and he was about 22. Maybe he’d excel, but I’d be a bit worried.

Glad you’re taking Friday’s game seriously Mothy, many seem to treating it as “pre season”!!

heartmussel

Thought he might have been in squad last night (unless injured) maybe him and Irvine may be involved on Friday hence missing last night 🤷‍♂️

Just now, Clerry Jambo said:

Glad you’re taking Friday’s game seriously Mothy, many seem to treating it as “pre season”!!

Yeah, that’s their prerogative. It’s the least concerning to me of the three competitions we are in, but I would love us to win it.

Footballfirst

I think that a defensive midfielder, enforcer, Scott Brown type role will end up as his best opportunity to become a first team player. I have said that to Craig Levein and others previously. 

Friday is a bit premature though. 

4 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

It'll be Halkett I'd imagine.

Seems the obvious choice to me. No doubt if it is, there will be howls of derision that we are playing three centrehalfs v lower league opposition. 😄

Edited by Icon of Symmetry

Bazzas right boot
29 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

"word"! 

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Cruyff Turn said:

Michael Smith

He'd probably do a good job, but he's our best rb. 

scott herbertson
26 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I think that a defensive midfielder, enforcer, Scott Brown type role will end up as his best opportunity to become a first team player. I have said that to Craig Levein and others previously. 

Clearly you've seen miles more of him than me, but I have liked what I have seen. I saw him more in the Chris Perry sweeper style role. In midfield I think he could certainly anchor it but I don't remember seeing any of the bite and aggression that Brown has - is that part of his game?

His attitude seems spot on and so I wouldn't have any worries if he was playing on Thursday as long as it's not centre defence 

Edited by scott herbertson

42 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Do you feel this way because of his height, or does that play a big part in you feeling this way? Genuinely interested.

38 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Seems the obvious choice to me. No doubt if it is, there will be howls of derision that we are playing three centrehalfs v lower league opposition. 😄

Shout as much as they like but I think Craig Halkett will play there. He is very good on the ball and scores goals also from there /

7 minutes ago, Simmo said:

Shout as much as they like but I think Craig Halkett will play there. He is very good on the ball and scores goals also from there /

Here’s hoping mate. I think you are right.

Jambof3tornado
51 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Best opportunity to become a 1st team player? Is that the position he excels at in your opinion or do we already have better players in his chosen position?

Footballfirst
15 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Do you feel this way because of his height, or does that play a big part in you feeling this way? Genuinely interested.

His lack of height has to be a factor, although he still has a decent jump on him. 

6 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Best opportunity to become a 1st team player? Is that the position he excels at in your opinion or do we already have better players in his chosen position?

31 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Clearly you've seen miles more of him than me, but I have liked what I have seen. I saw him more in the Chris Perry sweeper style role. In midfield I think he could certainly anchor it but I don't remember seeing any of the bite and aggression that Brown has - is that part of his game?

His attitude seems spot on and so I wouldn't have any worries if he was playing on Thursday as long as it's not centre defence 

It's not a position that he has played too often. He has bee tried at right back, but I think he lacks the pace to play there. 

However, his ability to read the game, particularly defensively, is excellent. He has plenty aggression in his game as his card count will testify. 

I had hoped that he would have been tried as a DM before now, but he's still got time on his side after extending his contract recently. 

A loan spell might be the best option to get game time in a new role. 

Jambof3tornado
Just now, Footballfirst said:

His lack of height has to be a factor, although he still has a decent jump on him. 

It's not a position that he has played too often. He has bee tried at right back, but I think he lacks the pace to play there. 

However, his ability to read the game, particularly defensively, is excellent. He has plenty aggression in his game as his card count will testify. 

I had hoped that he would have been tried as a DM before now, but he's still got time on his side after extending his contract recently. 

A loan spell might be the best option to get game time in a new role. 

Thanks for your in depth answer as usual. Fingers crossed if he does go out on loan we see sense and insist on the position we want to groom him for.

fabienleclerq

Irving has to start surely? If he can't get a game when we have no DCM then what's the point keeping him around? Give him a chance. 

2 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

Irving has to start surely? If he can't get a game when we have no DCM then what's the point keeping him around? Give him a chance. 

He's no more a DCM than Cochrane. 

Hector Riva
1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

Spot on.

Cruyff Turn
1 hour ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

He'd probably do a good job, but he's our best rb. 

Put Halkett to right back. It’s only temporary.

fabienleclerq
22 minutes ago, bistokid said:

He's no more a DCM than Cochrane. 

He looks to me as a deeper lying player than Cochrane. 

Just now, fabienleclerq said:

He looks to me as a deeper lying player than Cochrane. 

I think they are both pretty similar. Lightweight, technically good playmakers. Cochrane possibly with more ability to play further up the park though. Unfortunately I don't see how anyone can give us the protection and physicality that Haring offers. 

fabienleclerq
59 minutes ago, bistokid said:

I think they are both pretty similar. Lightweight, technically good playmakers. Cochrane possibly with more ability to play further up the park though. Unfortunately I don't see how anyone can give us the protection and physicality that Haring offers. 

I don't think we would need it if we had better footballers in CM, Haring has many qualities but being on the ball isn't one of them. 

3 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

I have seen him with a team of five CB in the same team.

Edited by wavydavy

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

I don't think we would need it if we had better footballers in CM, Haring has many qualities but being on the ball isn't one of them. 

I thought Haring was excellent on the ball. Rarely gave it away, always looked composed and in control and often made the right simple pass. Basically did his job and was the best defensive mid in the league last season.

fabienleclerq
22 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I thought Haring was excellent on the ball. Rarely gave it away, always looked composed and in control and often made the right simple pass. Basically did his job and was the best defensive mid in the league last season.

Defensively he was great for us last year, on the ball he really wasn't. We really need to be far better in possession. 

Jamboelite
36 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

Defensively he was great for us last year, on the ball he really wasn't. We really need to be far better in possession. 

Disagree, i thought for the most part he was composed on the ball and while he doesn’t have a defence splitting pass in his locker he keeps it simple.

42 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

Agree with you on that. I think Haring has been absolutely excellent for us but he can be very, very sloppy in possession and often gives the back the ball he's just done so well to win.

heartstastic

When we were playing well at the start of the season, Haring was spraying some lovely long range passes about. Hope we can see him get over his injuries as on his game he's vital to us imo.

Edited by heartstastic

Not for me. Im pretty sure Haring had played in midfield before he joined us. Hamilton to the best of my knowledge hasn't.

2 hours ago, bistokid said:

Cochrane whilst still somewhat lightweight showed last night that his awareness has improved and that he is willing to go across tackles to win free kicks where before he would try to win the tackle and lose out

fabienleclerq
49 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Agree with you on that. I think Haring has been absolutely excellent for us but he can be very, very sloppy in possession and often gives the back the ball he's just done so well to win.

It's funny how folk see things, I totally agree with you and yet 2/3 others felt he kept it well!

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Was caught against the faster teams imo, rangers and livi Often caught and slow in the transition. 

As the season wore on, he looked more and more a defender in midfield. 

However, the team was generally poor and he had an injury. 

He deserves a chance tho and did have some very good games. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Taffin said:

Yip, too slow in releasing it imo. 

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Was caught against the faster teams imo, rangers and livi Often caught and slow in the transition. 

As the season wore on, he looked more and more a defender in midfield. 

However, the team was generally poor and he had an injury. 

He deserves a chance tho and did have some very good games. 

Funny, I'm the opposite. I thought he was mostly fantastic. 

He would try to play forward passes he should maybe leave to others but sometimes they came off and we didn't really have anyone else who could do that from the back, especially when Souttar was injured. When he kept it simple I thought he was excellent - just always felt more confident with him in the team. Chipped in a with a handful of goals too when we were at full strength.

He obviously suffered with his injury and the general downturn in the team's form, but even then he was outstanding in the derby while half injured and even played well in the cup final. We really missed him at the end of that game and games like the mauling we got at Ibrox in April.

1 hour ago, Henroddy said:

Not for me. Im pretty sure Haring had played in midfield before he joined us. Hamilton to the best of my knowledge hasn't.

Haring did play in MF previously although played CD with his last club.  He was actually converted into a CD and back again to MF with us.

13 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Nearly ruined Zal but there again Karipidis, Tall and Barr were all very good in that role.

Given his height I think that's where he will eventually play. Not the worst game to go into either 

i wish jj was my dad
6 minutes ago, jambo19 said:

Nearly ruined Zal but there again Karipidis, Tall and Barr were all very good in that role.

Given his height I think that's where he will eventually play. Not the worst game to go into either 

Tend to agree. If we want to play an anchor he is a good shout. 

Diadora Van Basten

I think 4-2-3-1 is a good formation for Scottish teams as it allows you to play players such as Hamilton in front of taller central defenders. In Scotland you get a lot of good central defenders who are under 6 foot so possibly not tall enough to play central defence at the top level but can play in the 2 just in front.

Edited by Diadora Van Basten

Haring,  second season will give a clearer idea of his abilities, play Irving give him a run will be a shock to Hearts fans to see someone in that role who can pass the ball.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
15 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

Haring,  second season will give a clearer idea of his abilities, play Irving give him a run will be a shock to Hearts fans to see someone in that role who can pass the ball.

Irving registered  ::troll::

Haring plays risk reward balls, funnily enough the very thing we get criticism for not doing, including myself,  so happy he is at least trying to be positive 

Alex Kintner

JKB: FFS Levein, start playing players in their actual position

Also JKB: stick Hamilton or Smith in midfield and stick Halkett at right back

14 hours ago, heartmussel said:

Thought he might have been in squad last night (unless injured) maybe him and Irvine may be involved on Friday hence missing last night 🤷‍♂️

He played 90 minutes against Whitehill on Saturday so maybe rested.  He has just been given a new contract and his best position is holding midfielder I am told .... so they see something in him.