India - Travelling Advice

SupaJT

Hey folks, I've got a friend whose just off to india for a month on monday. She's going with another girl and I'm a bit worried about them, does anyone have much experience with travelling in India at this time of year? Its monsoon season apparently! Is it a dodgy country for two girls to be travelling alone in?

vladtheexhaler
Hey folks, I've got a friend whose just off to india for a month on monday. She's going with another girl and I'm a bit worried about them, does anyone have much experience with travelling in India at this time of year? Its monsoon season apparently! Is it a dodgy country for two girls to be travelling alone in?

Very. Make sure you say goodbye properly just in case.

Boaby Ewing

Especially during monsoon season. Water makes Indians go a bit rapey.

Yikes. Is this just what you've heard or have you got a horror story?

Is it a dodgy country for two girls to be travelling alone in?

India is a manky country. Don't know why anyone would want to go there. Tell her to stay well clear of Goa.

Try not to worry so much. My cousin went to South India for 6 months a couple of years ago. She was only 17 at the time. She had a great time and found the people to be very friendly. She stuck with her mates and they all looked out for each other.

If your friend is going with someone I'm sure they will look after each other and probably make more friends who will watch their backs(seems to be easy to meet friends for life whilst travelling).

vladtheexhaler
Yikes. Is this just what you've heard or have you got a horror story?

Few survive to tell their story.

India is a manky country. Don't know why anyone would want to go there. Tell her to stay well clear of Goa.

Indeed - Goa is the Indian equivelant of Glasgow and should be avoided at all costs. :)

Only a Game

India, I would suggest, is for the more mature traveller who has done a bit of travelling before, knows the pitfalls and can look after themselves.

Not a place for two young girls who havent travelled before in my opinion. Its a third world backward country for the most part and has more than its share of people who would take advantage if your not right on the ball. In some areas its a downright dangerous place for young girls travelling and they'd be far better off, especially if its their first time, travelling within a larger organised group. There are loads of well organised reputable operators who do this cheaply.

Goa, by the way, is a wonderfully chilled place for the most part, with pockets in the larger resorts that arent particularly great to visit. Again its more for the mature discerning traveller who is a bit wordly wise and recognises trouble before its put them flat on their erse.

Travelling, or trying to travel, during the monsoon I think they will find is also a major error.

Sorry but you did ask.

Forgot to mention that they should say hello to Mrs Irvine Jambo if they bump into her. :)

coppercrutch

I think India is brilliant, completely mental. As for people that say don't eat the food - ******. :)

I eat food all over, street vendors and everything. If they were getting people sick they wouldn't get business for much longer would they........and considering these people's businesses are basically their life they are not going to be risking that.

I would say 2 of them should be fine. Dodgy people everywhere India is no different. Dodgy things could happen there but I wouldn't expect it anymore than elsewhere.

Because they are white (I assume) they will treated very well. A lot of people still stick to the old colonial style 'caste' system where white people are , for some reason, raised a level above most locals. I remember having homeless Indians smacked out of my way in a train station by the Police with batons. Ouch.

I would advise anyone to go to India at least once. Totally different World. A little scary for your first trip however - I would work up to it personally !!!

Cheers for the replies folks, (aside from the rape gags! ;)) i think going during the hottest season is a mistake. Not sure its the place for her: she was too hot in paris last summer AND got a stomach bug in spain a few weeks ago.

coppercrutch
Cheers for the replies folks, (aside from the rape gags! ;)) i think going during the hottest season is a mistake. Not sure its the place for her: she was too hot in paris last summer AND got a stomach bug in spain a few weeks ago.

And now off to India.... Talk about jumping in at the deep end !!

On the plus side anything she does afterwards will be a doddle..:wacko:

Out of interest where about are they heading to ? India is a huge place. :eek:

She's heading to mumbai initially and then planning on travelling around the south. Theres a bunch of places she wanted to see but i can't remember the names because they seem to have changed them all (back?) to indian names. But apparently the south is a bit safer than the north so hopefully she'll be fine.

Glamorgan Jambo

Having been there twice I'd say

1) Hopefully she's up to date with her jabs and is taking anti-malarials

2) The monsoon season (now) is actually quite a good time to go as it will be quite a bit cooler than a month or so ago. It's still 25 - 30C so they'll dry off quickly.

3) The Indians are inquisitive and quite forward but considering the awful awful poverty relatively peaceful and law abiding.

4) I always get hassled for money so as soon as I arrive I get plenty small denomination notes (10 or 20 rupees = 12.5, 25p) and just hand them out when needed.

5) Travelling in India is hard work but very rewarding - they'll either not be able to cope and be back within 10 days or come back changed people.

coppercrutch

Aye down south has less poverty etc.. and is generally more 'pleasant'.

I imagine she is heading to Kerala and Cochin sort of areas ? Never got down there when I went but heard it is lovely. If she is travelling by train she will love it (Or maybe hate it !! ). Mental, but great fun.

PS - I never handed out money Glamorgan Jambo, I found it just attracted more to you !! I did get about a hundred photos taken with massive groups of Indians however. Being a ginger I reckon I was a bit of a star (Or freak show ;))

Glamorgan Jambo

PS - I never handed out money Glamorgan Jambo, I found it just attracted more to you !! I did get about a hundred photos taken with massive groups of Indians however. Being a ginger I reckon I was a bit of a star (Or freak show ;))

My trips there were business trips with some sightseeing and travel attached. When you're staying in the business hotels in Mumbai or Pune the staff generally don't leave your room until their palms have been crossed. Also for the auto-rickshaw drivers and folks in restaurants. I wouldn't hand it out on the streets as you'd be besieged as you say.

I must admit i agree that the most disappointing place in India is Goa.

I got quite used to people coming up and saluting me though.

Guest casper

I know an Irish guy who works there pretty regularly who came out with this classic quote about the place which I believe sums it up pretty well.

"You can't smoke in da hotel but you can shoit in da f00kin street!!"

Archived