White sharks in uk waters

kingm616

Cruyff Turn

There has always been White Sharks in Scotland and Ireland. They just aren’t as common as they are now. Usually up the West Coast Scotland and West Coast Ireland, North Atlantic, they’ve found seals munched in half on beaches, fishermen and divers have seen them as well. They seems to be moving up the Med towards the South of England now though hence why there is more news about them.

We get Mako’s,  Portbeagles, Thresher Sharks and Blue Sharks here in Scotland as well, Portbeagles are pretty much mini great whites, from the same family. 

18 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

We get Mako’s,  Portbeagles, Thresher Sharks and Blue Sharks here in Scotland as well, Portbeagles are pretty much mini great whites, from the same family. 

Also basking sharks but don't feel much threat from them :lol: Saw one - approx 10 feet - when out rowing a year or so back.

On my holidays some 30 years ago in Weymouth, Dorset, there was a shark scare at the beach. Proper scene straight out of Jaws.  Folk nashing towards shore. Not a great white though. 

The sea would get really warm over the weeks as in those days you got full on, proper hot summers for very long spells. Weymouth has one of those beaches where you can walk out to sea for quite a distance and it’s still just waist height. 

Der Kaiser

Once again UK tourism fails to attract new visitors.

They should start feeding the seals fish full of BBQ sauce.

I used to find mermaid's purses (shark egg pod things) among washed up seaweed all the time on the beaches of Galloway.

Harry Potter
22 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

There has always been White Sharks in Scotland and Ireland. They just aren’t as common as they are now. Usually up the West Coast Scotland and West Coast Ireland, North Atlantic, they’ve found seals munched in half on beaches, fishermen and divers have seen them as well. They seems to be moving up the Med towards the South of England now though hence why there is more news about them.

Fished off the heads of Ayr in a small boat back in 1986, someone said, look theres a shark and right enough could see its fin going through the water.

Was a portbeagle shark, amazing to see. 

29 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Fished off the heads of Ayr in a small boat back in 1986, someone said, look theres a shark and right enough could see its fin going through the water.

Was a portbeagle shark, amazing to see. 

I'm sure they had one in the sea world place across the bridge, or they did when it opened 20 years or so years ago.  Evil looking thing, but yes, amazing creatures.

34 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

I'm sure they had one in the sea world place across the bridge, or they did when it opened 20 years or so years ago.  Evil looking thing, but yes, amazing creatures.

Indeed they do. It’s a sand tiger shark despite it’s menacing look they are rather placid sharks tend to live in more temperate waters

Samuel Camazzola
16 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Magnificent animals. Beautiful to watch with these cold, black eyes and a shape that looks like it's been engineered by a genius. Sheet poetry in motion.

Mind you, feck knows how hammerheads came to look like they do but they are also wonderful. 

When I read these words, all I could picture was Alan Stubbs and his post-match ramblings after Ozturk's howitzer! ? 

AlphonseCapone
4 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

I used to find mermaid's purses (shark egg pod things) among washed up seaweed all the time on the beaches of Galloway.

I don't know why it sounds dirty, but it does. 

Great whites are beautiful. I was reading on how they have never survived in captivity despite it being tried (albeit a while ago abroad). Probably the most incredible creature ever to live and survive for millions of years. Nigh on perfect.

when I retire I do plan to go to South Africa and get in a cage. One bucket list item I have to do before I depart this world

Edited by 1971fozzy

Cruyff Turn
15 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

On my holidays some 30 years ago in Weymouth, Dorset, there was a shark scare at the beach. Proper scene straight out of Jaws.  Folk nashing towards shore. Not a great white though. 

The sea would get really warm over the weeks as in those days you got full on, proper hot summers for very long spells. Weymouth has one of those beaches where you can walk out to sea for quite a distance and it’s still just waist height. 

They live in Waters at temps between (12°C and 24 °C) 

The sea temperature in Scotland in the summer is usually between (12°C and 20 °C) which is absolutely perfect for them, plus the Grey Seal Populations around the North West Coast which is handy for them when they are travelling from N.America to South Africa. The only thing that might stop them from coming here is the Killer Wales.

There was a Great White caught 130miles of the British Coast by French Fisherman in the 1970’s and they are believed to give birth in the Med/Adriatic Sea are Italy, Mata, Croatia, they like the Tuna down that way. 

36 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

I don't know why it sounds dirty, but it does. 

You're right. That's part of the reason I thought I'd better put an explanation.  ?

20 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

They live in Waters at temps between (12°C and 24 °C) 

The sea temperature in Scotland in the summer is usually between (12°C and 20 °C) which is absolutely perfect for them, plus the Grey Seal Populations around the North West Coast which is handy for them when they are travelling from N.America to South Africa. The only thing that might stop them from coming here is the Killer Wales.

There was a Great White caught 130miles of the British Coast by French Fisherman in the 1970’s and they are believed to give birth in the Med/Adriatic Sea are Italy, Mata, Croatia, they like the Tuna down that way. 

Aye, love my great white docus and I remember one about a tuna fishing village on the Med coast in Italy. They had these purpose built walled areas that would leave the tuna stranded on the sea bed once the tide went out. 

One time, as the tide was receding and the locals gathered to collect the tuna, it dawned on them a great white was prowling in one of the bays. It started the ball rolling on the theory Great Whites lived in the area.  

2 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Feck me. Hope Solo gets a mention again. 

Infatuation.

jack D and coke
On 05/07/2019 at 00:11, Debut 4 said:

Gulf of Mexico is like that. Really weird. 

3 hours ago, Victorian said:

Unwelcome foreign sharks coming in and scranning all our seals.    It'll stop after Brexit.

It shouldn't stop as long as they fit in to Australian style points system we will impose on foreign sharks, I'd welcome foreign sharks if they can contribute.