Glastonbury 2020

ericb

Watching this last week, got me thinking, who is big enough to headline next year? Its all getting a bit repetitive, and I cant think of many, and some just aint gonna happen.......

Possible but a bit repetitive

Rolling Stones

U2

Kasabian

Foo Fighters

KOL

Unlikely reformations

The Jam 

Oasis

The Smiths

Are they big enough?

Calvin Harris

Liam Gallagher

Noel Gallagher

Manic Street Preachers

Paul Weller

Edited by ericb

hughesie27
15 minutes ago, ericb said:

Watching this last week, got me thinking, who is big enough to headline next year? Its all getting a bit repetitive, and I cant think of many, and some just aint gonna happen.......

Rolling Stones

U2

Kasabian

Foo Fighters

KOL

Unlikely reformations

The Jam 

Oasis

The Smiths

Are they big enough?

Calvin Harris

Liam Gallagher

Noel Gallagher

Manic Street Preachers

Paul Weller

Throw Coldplay into your first group and Calvin Harris is arguably the biggest producer in the world so I'd say he is big enough.

frankblack

Bruce Springssteen & the E Street Band

I think Foo Fighters will be at the end of the touring cycle for their current album this year, and U2 are probably just about done with theirs now also.

The Manics and Weller wouldn't headling a main stage at Glastonbury but could play somewhere on the bill.

Liam Gallacher might be big enough now to headline but they might hold off for an Oasis reunion first.

22 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I think Foo Fighters will be at the end of the touring cycle for their current album this year, and U2 are probably just about done with theirs now also.

The Manics and Weller wouldn't headling a main stage at Glastonbury but could play somewhere on the bill.

Liam Gallacher might be big enough now to headline but they might hold off for an Oasis reunion first.

Still a bit tough to pick 3 headliners.......

Springstein, U2 and Oasis would be my choice

Samuel Camazzola
23 minutes ago, ericb said:

47 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Oasis won't be reforming. Noel has moved on and doesn't need it. He incorporates a host of Oasis tracks into his set and NGHFB are big enough to headline on their own right. 

I watched an interview with Emily Eavis and she was saying the one they've always wanted but have never managed to get is Fleetwood Mac. 

So I reckon it will be them.

Seriously though, there's a real lack of top-class bands knocking around just now. Reckon they'll struggle unless they go back to yet another Coldplay/U2-type outfit. 

Will probably need to either pull one from the leftfield (such as Stormzy) or try to catch a big name reforming.

Edited by Craig_

I think the Chemical Brothers might be due a Pyramid Stage headline.......who is their manager again??

3 hours ago, ericb said:

Rolling Stones

U2

Kasabian

Foo Fighters

KOL

Unlikely reformations

The Jam 

Oasis

The Smiths

Are they big enough?

Calvin Harris

Liam Gallagher

Noel Gallagher

Manic Street Preachers

Paul Weller

None of the above mentioned people will headline next year (maybe U2 at a push).

Fleetwood Mac, Paul McCartney and Foals with Elton John doing the legends slot are my predictions. It's the 50th anniversary so they'll be going big.

5 minutes ago, Albion said:

None of the above mentioned people will headline next year (maybe U2 at a push).

Fleetwood Mac, Paul McCartney and Foals with Elton John doing the legends slot are my predictions. It's the 50th anniversary so they'll be going big.

Fleetwood Mac, maybe, 

Paul McCartney and Elton John  both would fit the legends slot, not a headline.

Foals are not a headline act.

I coulds see it being Bruce Springstein, Fleetwood Mac + somebody younger. 

54 minutes ago, ericb said:

Fleetwood Mac, maybe, 

Both Macca and Elton have the capability to headline, a back catalog of hits.

Foals are definitely big enough to headline Pyramid in my opinion, you only need to look at the crowd they drew at the Park stage for their secret set this year.  

2 minutes ago, jb102 said:

I would come out of retirement for The Police.

You seen this t-shirt?

Image result for fuck nwa t shirt

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Paul McCartney and Elton John for Legends but not headlining :lol:

Obviously they are big enough and have the back catalogue, but are they Glastonbury?

Depeche Mode, now there's an idea.

43 minutes ago, ericb said:

Obviously they are big enough and have the back catalogue, but are they Glastonbury?

Depeche Mode, now there's an idea.

Are they Glastonbury...what’s Glastonbury?!

Going by this years lineup...which was frankly godawful, Glastonbury is continuing the trend of what were historically alternative/rock festivals towards primarily chart based pop pish (much like T in the Park did and Leeds/Reading).

Coldplay to headline...Jesus wept!

Maybe they could also get The Kooks, Athlete, Maroon 5, Ed Sheeran and Mumford & Sons on the same bill...quality!

Edited by Deviskan

6 hours ago, Craig_ said:

Bob Marley.

The Rhythmic State :laugh:

Being the 50th anniversary. Could this be the last at Pilton (the farm not the scheme in East Edinburgh).

Eavis is getting on a bit, not sure if Emily is prepared to keep it going. You might find you'll  get Glastonbury on the road, eg The Glastonbury Experience.

7 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Queen?

Good shout. i mentioned that to my mate when we were chilling to the Chems set on Saturday night.

Nookie Bear
4 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Good shout. i mentioned that to my mate when we were chilling to the Chems set on Saturday night.

I just looked at biggest selling acts in 2018. 

Perhaps Drake will be another option. 

ArcticJambo
9 hours ago, ericb said:

Oasis played '95 as headliners, and they were shit, or their sound system was; i should know as could barely work out what song they were playing. :lol:  That was the 25th anniversary festival.  I'd go Madness or the Specials, preferably the latter.  Way more energy.

William H. Bonney
26 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Dylan?

Watch him from your tent so you have somewhere to sleep when he starts singing. 

Nookie Bear
6 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

Watch him from your tent so you have somewhere to sleep when he starts singing. 

I know. I saw him years ago at The Playhouse and he was instantly forgettable. 

Regal Kingston

Bryan Ferry

Stone Roses

Red Hot Chilli Peppers 

Elton John

Annie Lennox

Toots and the Maytals.

New Order

Billy Ocean

The Strokes. 

2 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

Glastonbury happens every two years. So 2021.

(I just googled it, and I accept I might be wrong)

It’s an annual festival but every 5 years they have a fallow - a year off to allow the land and local communities a bit of time to recuperate.

19 hours ago, Costanza said:

I always think one year that Depeche Mode will headline it. They rarely play festivals in the UK though. 

They play much smaller festivals across europe though and don't get near the hadline slot so won't get it at Glastonbury.

I've got a feeling folk saying Fleetwood Mac are right, with Springsteen a good shout too, last slot I think will go to someone like Pink or Madonna who's Madame X tour will be done (in the UK) in Feb so enough of a gap before coming back for Glastonbury

21 hours ago, ericb said:

Fleetwood Mac, maybe, 

Will Young

Has Adele ever done Glastonbury? Could see her stinking the place out with her overwrought emoting. 

Shanks said no
1 hour ago, Craig_ said:

Has Adele ever done Glastonbury? Could see her stinking the place out with her overwrought emoting. 

Pretty sure she has, think she either swore or gret 

edit - Adele announced that she would be headlining on the Pyramid Stage at the 2016 Glastonbury Festival, which was later confirmed by the festival's organisers

she swore 33 times 

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

2 hours ago, Ribble said:

They play much smaller festivals across europe though and don't get near the hadline slot so won't get it at Glastonbury.

I thought DM play mostly in America. Probably wrong so happy to be corrected.

SwindonJambo

Any acts will likely have to be currently on tour at the time of the Festival so that they are gig ready  and require minimal prep.  Most big acts don't do one off shows outside of a normal tour.  The Stones and the Who were both on tour for their appearances in 2013 & 2019.  As the Stones have ticked that box, I'm not sure we'll see them back.

3 hours ago, Ribble said:

I've got a feeling folk saying Fleetwood Mac are right, with Springsteen a good shout too, last slot I think will go to someone like Pink or Madonna who's Madame X tour will be done (in the UK) in Feb so enough of a gap before coming back for Glastonbury

I'm pretty sure that isn't correct as DM mainly headline festivals in Europe.

I also think they are a bigger band domestically and internationally than the Cure but happy to be corrected on that.

Last time I saw them was for 50k at the Olympic Stadium in London so they are a big draw.

Edited by Costanza

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

I thought DM play mostly in America. Probably wrong so happy to be corrected.

27 minutes ago, Costanza said:

I'm pretty sure that isn't correct as DM mainly headline festivals in Europe.

I also think they are a bigger band domestically and internationally than the Cure but happy to be corrected on that.

Last time I saw them was for 50k at the Olympic Stadium in London so they are a big draw.

Sorry memory failing me, seen them mentioned for a few european festivals last summer (we were going to Nos Alive in Lisbon and there were rumours of a surprise set so looked at the lineups for half the festivals in Europe to see who was playing) and didn't think they were the headliners but looking back they were!

In fairness though headlining the likes of Volt Festival in Hungary doesn't mean you are in the mix for Glastonbury.

1 hour ago, Ribble said:

Sorry memory failing me, seen them mentioned for a few european festivals last summer (we were going to Nos Alive in Lisbon and there were rumours of a surprise set so looked at the lineups for half the festivals in Europe to see who was playing) and didn't think they were the headliners but looking back they were!

In fairness though headlining the likes of Volt Festival in Hungary doesn't mean you are in the mix for Glastonbury.

It's that fessie in Barcelona that I fancy going to.

On 04/07/2019 at 09:24, ericb said:

Rolling Stones

U2

Kasabian

Foo Fighters

KOL

Unlikely reformations

The Jam 

Oasis

The Smiths

Are they big enough?

Calvin Harris

Liam Gallagher

Noel Gallagher

Manic Street Preachers

Paul Weller

You can add Jesus and  The Mary Chain to that too.

1 minute ago, Marvin said:

It's that fessie in Barcelona that I fancy going to.

Nos Alive was outstanding, 20mins on  the train from the city centre costing about 10 euro for the 3 days, bands on from 5pm through to 4am, whole thing is astroturfed, 30+ degrees everyday but festival staff wandering about with free sunscreen and water, staff with barrels of beer on their back serving pints in the middle of the crowd, huge seating area for eating/drinking, really clean and a quality mix of bands/genre's. 

Really doubt i'll ever face the mudbaths of download/galsto/TITP ever again to be honest, next year will hopefully be Hellfest in France.

56 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Nos Alive was outstanding, 20mins on  the train from the city centre costing about 10 euro for the 3 days, bands on from 5pm through to 4am, whole thing is astroturfed, 30+ degrees everyday but festival staff wandering about with free sunscreen and water, staff with barrels of beer on their back serving pints in the middle of the crowd, huge seating area for eating/drinking, really clean and a quality mix of bands/genre's. 

Really doubt i'll ever face the mudbaths of download/galsto/TITP ever again to be honest, next year will hopefully be Hellfest in France.

Cheers Ribble. Been discussing this for a few years now. Time to put our money where our mouths are.

On 04/07/2019 at 14:21, Costanza said:

I always think one year that Depeche Mode will headline it. They rarely play festivals in the UK though. 

They played Isle of Wight last year and I thought they made hard work of it as they started of playing new stuff that no one was interested in. They should have started straight away with their classics. 

Also didn’t help that they headlined after Liam Gallagher has been playing oasis songs so a lot of the crowd were made of his fans who had no interest in Depeche mode.

As has been said earlier a band can’t just turn up and play for a couple of hours out the blue and they really need to be on the road to give their best performance and the problem with Depeche mode as you will know is they take a few years break between tours so when Glastonbury comes up they are probably sitting at home in America with their feet up 

Anyway after reading this thread I think I will put on the devotional tour and have a few drinks later 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
On 04/07/2019 at 09:24, ericb said:

Rolling Stones

U2

Kasabian

Foo Fighters

KOL

Unlikely reformations

The Jam 

Oasis

The Smiths

Are they big enough?

Calvin Harris