Climate protest in Edinburgh

mutley

Pity the polis don't get a solar-powered eco-friendly snow plough to scoop these prats off the roads and clear the  obstruction. What arrogant, morally superior muesli munching prats

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• frankblack

• mutley

• Pasquale for King

TBH I get it but they are targeting the wrong crowd. Lying on a road In Edinburgh isn't changing anything. 

5 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

TBH I get it but they are targeting the wrong crowd. Lying on a road In Edinburgh isn't changing anything. 

Scottish parliament is in Edinburgh, is it not?.

Are the Scottish Government doing enough, quick enough. Some would say , No!

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

While I am not shy at criticising the Scottish government, it doesn't really matter what they do or the UK does - until the big countries like India and USA take decisive action we are pissing in the wind.

Sadly that arrogant prick in the Whitehouse is reverting all the climate change deals agreed previously.

AlphonseCapone
29 minutes ago, frankblack said:

While I am not shy at criticising the Scottish government, it doesn't really matter what they do or the UK does - until the big countries like India and USA take decisive action we are pissing in the wind.

Sadly that arrogant prick in the Whitehouse is reverting all the climate change deals agreed previously.

I do agree and have said as much. But I guess you can argue if Scotland does its bit, that potentially shames England, who then might be more likely to do their part. The UK doing its part might motivate other European countries etc and so it goes on. Maybe not, but it might be a snowball effect. Probably take until it isn't Trump as president though as I doubt he gives a shit what any other country does or thinks. 

37 minutes ago, frankblack said:

We can do our wee bit. I know we can't do a lot, but we can do what we can.

7 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

I do agree and have said as much. But I guess you can argue if Scotland does its bit, that potentially shames England, who then might be more likely to do their part. The UK doing its part might motivate other European countries etc and so it goes on. Maybe not, but it might be a snowball effect. Probably take until it isn't Trump as president though as I doubt he gives a shit what any other country does or thinks. 

Wm are raging because the Scottish government have set up an international aid fund. Something tells me climate shaming, would be more raging.

14 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

fwiw while I agree with what they're saying I think they're pissing in the wind doing it in Scotland. They want to get themselves over to the US and China (swimming, obviously, flying would be hypocritical amirite) and disrupt them. Scotland and the UK could be the greenest places on earth and it wouldn't matter because other countries don't care.

Well said pal.

13 hours ago, tian447 said:

As already posted, Scotland is one of the World leaders in terms of Renewable Energy production, with around 70% of our energy coming from renewable sources. 

The problem with these protestors is that it's one huge virtue signalling effort, trying to show how progressive and original they all are, focusing all of their efforts in entirely the wrong places.  The worst thing is, they know this, and are largely just trying to make a scene. 

We are trying, in Scotland and the UK in general, to be better at this, whilst other countries continue to take the absolute piss, dumping stuff in the sea, pumping huge amounts of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, and generally polluting the planet.  World leaders such as America denying there's a problem, and attempting to bring us all back to Industrial Revolution levels of pollution. 

Scotland could physically disappear off the map, and it wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference to climate change, pollution or global emissions.

If we want change in the world, lying down in the middle of a road in Edinburgh is not going to change that. 

At least they're trying to do something.

Harry Potter
39 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

I got home 5 minutes earlier. I agree with the protesters.

You travel by Bike ?.

Sexton Hardcastle

The whole

”they’re causing more emissions and ruining the planet with this protest”

argument is the most idiotic thing going. Every third person on twitter trying to make this point. ****ing clowns.

3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I think we are are doing more to tackle climate change than a great many countries but yes we could always do better. 

That being said until countries like China, America, India ect start to seriously reduce their emissions we are sadly not going to make a slight bit of difference. The protesters are just making ordinary people suffer for nothing  . 

1 hour ago, Thumper said:

At least they're trying to do something.

They are simply being arseholes.  They are too scared to take themselves to places which don't care as they will get beaten up or worse.

This is pseudo intellectual arseholes making token gestures to make themselves feel better.

33 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

The whole

”they’re causing more emissions and ruining the planet with this protest”

argument is the most idiotic thing going. Every third person on twitter trying to make this point. ****ing clowns.

They have done well is raising awareness and discussion. So fair play.

Individually it is valid to question their actions. Edinburgh is a great city for use of public transport. Never sure how disrupting public transport (cars affected too of course) sends the right message. Same for London which has congestion charging. But the focus of this week is on the Scottish Parliament. 

But more it's what needs to be done. Thanks to them raising awareness what they want with earlier targets would entail no flights and no petrol cars for example. So I would say anyone in the protest who has access to a petrol car or flies is a Grade A Hypocrite. 

But greater good and all that. They are certainly making an impact. 

The Internet
34 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

But more it's what needs to be done. Thanks to them raising awareness what they want with earlier targets would entail no flights and no petrol cars for example. So I would say anyone in the protest who has access to a petrol car or flies is a Grade A Hypocrite. 

Does that really matter though? If you take it far enough I'd say everyone in the world who claims to care about the environment is likely a hypocrite in some way. Means absolutely nothing. 

19 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Does that really matter though? If you take it far enough I'd say everyone in the world who claims to care about the environment is likely a hypocrite in some way. Means absolutely nothing. 

Yes

But actually contributing to reduced emissions is the thing.

People object by saying "You are trying to tell me how to live my life". A very fair position. 

So "I will fly if I want to, get 2 cars if I want, not bother recycling". Who is going to stop that? But setting an example is the biggest motivation for any change. 

Say What Again

The Canongate last night was carnage. Every double decker bus that should have been heading down the bridges, diverted down there. 

They just seemed to piss most people off that were late getting home etc. Folk who possibly agreed with them, probably went home annoyed and thinking they were arseholes. 

Screen Shot 2019-06-18 at 11.53.13.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-18 at 11.53.27.png

Edited by Say What Again

Collapse of the global ecosystem: aye nae bother

Being a bit late home due to environmental protests: mega seethe

Attitudes like this are why we're in such a shite state to begin with.

10 minutes ago, Cade said:

How does this protest help the global ecosystem in any way?

I understand the need for action on climate change, I don’t understand how blocking the main road in Edinburgh will do any good.

Edited by mutley

Spitonastranger
18 hours ago, Lord halifax said:

Some people just love to protest it makes them feel important for a while.

Same as people who keep posting guff

Governor Tarkin
13 minutes ago, Cade said:

:spoton:

probably more effective to boycott all Chinese products until the Chinese do something about the pollution they create

32 minutes ago, Cade said:

You could say that about a lot of things

You not interested in homelessness, drugs, poverty, domestic violence, child abuse to mention to tip of the iceberg? Not interested in doing anything to tackle these issues?

No one is protesting but maybe the people affected are dealing with other things. Should they be disrupted more? So they can't use any transport? 

Only climate change that allows people to be disrupted? 

I could equally say lack of concern about poverty, drugs, domestic violence is why we're in the state we're in. 

Edited by Mikey1874

17 minutes ago, mutley said:

How does this protest help the global ecosystem in any way?

I understand the need for action on climate change, I don’t understand how blocking the main road in Edinburgh will do any good.

Precisely.

There are some complete fantasists on this thread who actually believe these arseholes achieved something yesterday.

All they did was piss off commuters and cause air pollution due to queued traffic.

1 minute ago, frankblack said:

Precisely.

There are some complete fantasists on this thread who actually believe these arseholes achieved something yesterday.

All they did was piss off commuters and cause air pollution due to queued traffic.

Bollox!

Maroon Sailor

Imagine the seethe if they used cup final day to block all routes to Hampden

3 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Precisely.

1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

Bollox!

:cornette:

Nice constructive reply.  Exactly what I expected from you, mind.

Just now, Maroon Sailor said:

There would be a number of them with sore faces, I'd expect.

If these keep up, the public aren't going to let them keep disrupting their lives and there will be consequences.  Some people will openly challenge them.

15 hours ago, Irufushi said:

Most unlikely, A load of bums I’d say. 

THIS!

How many normal people do you know takes a days annual leave to lie in the middle of a street chained to another weirdo??  "BREAKING NEWS ExxonMobile will cease all operations due to Miss Princess Butterfly and the Eggman King of the Wonder World have chained themselves together on Edinburgh North Bridge".

If they are so passionate they would research methods for a less polluted process, they would be working with organisations to cut plastic waste and use .... oh wait, they're just bums!

(I dear read a story recently that the actual harmful rubbish that's killing us isn't emissions but brake dust and tyre fragments).

Maroon Sailor
3 minutes ago, frankblack said:

If these keep up, the public aren't going to let them keep disrupting their lives and there will be consequences.  Some people will openly challenge them.

Yip - I think the term peaceful protest would be kicked right in to touch

Why can't these tits organise a march along Princes Street at 2 in the morning ?

Being a public nuisance is not protesting, it is well.......................being a public nuisance.

Who cleans up after these filth merchants?  Do they care about how much it costs the public purse? Do they care about an ambulance who can't take the fastest route to the scene of emergency? Do they care that people can't get to their work, buses can't take people to where they want to go?

4 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Being a public nuisance is not protesting, it is well.......................being a public nuisance.

Who cleans up after these filth merchants?  Do they care about how much it costs the public purse? Do they care about an ambulance who can't take the fastest route to the scene of emergency? Do they care that people can't get to their work, buses can't take people to where they want to go?

Well none of that will matter when the planet decides enough is enough, so in a way they are maybe doing us a favour by pointing this out?

https://www.filmsforaction.org/articles/names-and-locations-of-the-top-100-people-killing-the-planet/?fbclid=IwAR0JzcjtbKf2RYzLgUt0u-gUh7IqsEiUiAnRGgYSxdYhLeyRfFZ0amH1Yt8

Yay capitalism.

doctor jambo
15 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Whilst their aims are laudable,

you don't change the mind of a government by annoying the populace.

If such protests get in my way I'm more likely to push against it than support it.

6 minutes ago, Boris said:

Well none of that will matter when the planet decides enough is enough, so in a way they are maybe doing us a favour by pointing this out?

https://www.filmsforaction.org/articles/names-and-locations-of-the-top-100-people-killing-the-planet/?fbclid=IwAR0JzcjtbKf2RYzLgUt0u-gUh7IqsEiUiAnRGgYSxdYhLeyRfFZ0amH1Yt8

Yay capitalism.

Yay capitalism as they all post a second by second accounts of their 'protesting' on their smart phones via Twitter and Facebook spending the free money that capitalism provides them.

Pasquale for King
19 hours ago, frankblack said:

Should tear gas the greasy soap dodging benefit cheats and go in with batons to clear them out.

Take no prisoners or they will keep coming back.

I think you will probably find it’s middle class folk, people on benefits have other stuff to worry about.

2581D06A-1C53-49AC-B636-5A649883A638.png

A151827E-4DDA-4E10-9008-28CB2C03343C.jpeg

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Yay capitalism as they all post a second by second accounts of their 'protesting' on their smart phones via Twitter and Facebook spending the free money that capitalism provides them.

Free money where do I get that then? I’m not DoF/manager at Hearts ?.

Pasquale for King
39 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Or blocked the city centre having a parade?

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Cade said:

Indeed.

I was going to burn a big pile of plastic when I eventually got home to get back at swampy and pals. Then I remembered that I worked from home yesterday so I didn’t bother. 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
4 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

You travel by Bike ?.

Bus and train. 

I walk, too. 

Edited by Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Harry Potter said:

Nine hour week, ha ha, aye that going to work.

Sounds ok to me ?,I think it’s a 9 hour day on 4 working days.