Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambof3tornado

• Lovecraft

• gashauskis9

• Mr Elwood P

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

gashauskis9

Just realised that the boy at trackside who looks like a henchman in a shite low budget comedy from the late 80s was in fact the Cyprus manager ?!

Portable Badger
11 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Banjo Boy

Incestiesta

Deli Aldi

The nicknames for this boy are endless ?.

????

10 minutes ago, tian447 said:

You been watching a different game than me?  The entire game has been shite!

Regardless of the score!! 

Same game, it has been poor to watch, just like watching a Levein team.

Just now, Samuel Camazzola said:

24k empty seats. Wrong pricing for the wrong venue again. 

I posted earlier on the thread.  Someone said it was £30 a ticket and I never actually believed them, so checked.

Every game is £30.  Even San Marino.

That was a bit dull. Robertson belter then loses his man for their goal. 

Fraser MOTM though. The boy is superb. 

Edited by Homme

Captain Sausage

Would McLeish have fared any worse there? Clarke seemed to try and replicate his Killie tactic of sitting back and breaking forward - you’d think Cyprus at home would make that a bit of a different task. 

Getting the ball wide and pinging hopeful crosses in to Brophy was absolutely pointless. A wondergoal by our best player and a massive slice of luck for Burke gets us past Cyprus. At home. ****ing hell. 

Le plus ca change...

A wins a win, it wasn’t pretty but it’s what we needed. Convinced we’re in safe hands and once he’s had a bit more time in charge we’ll see the benefits.

3 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

Would McLeish have fared any worse there? Clarke seemed to try and replicate his Killie tactic of sitting back and breaking forward - you’d think Cyprus at home would make that a bit of a different task. 

Getting the ball wide and pinging hopeful crosses in to Brophy was absolutely pointless. A wondergoal by our best player and a massive slice of luck for Burke gets us past Cyprus. At home. ****ing hell. 

Le plus ca change...

Getting rid of McLeish was absolutely the right thing to do. 

Clarke appointed too recently to judge him on tonight IMO. That said, things must improve or we are staying home next year again. 

11 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

I genuinely would avoid picking forrest or mcginn or mcgregor.

Offered the square root of hee haw tonight.

I agree they've done the square root of hee haw, although what I would say is that every time Forrest has had the ball they've completely outnumbered him and snuffed his threat. 

Jambof3tornado
4 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Think a few played themselves out of Clarke's plans for the next 11 in that match

I hope so. Midfield setup didnt work and if soapy cant get in ahead of those two tonight he may as well hang his boots up!!

3 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

Le plus ca change...

Give the guy a chance he's hardly had time to do anything with the players yet. It takes a bit of time to get the message over about how he wants them to play.

Jambof3tornado
Just now, Rossco said:

I agree they've done the square root of hee haw, although what I would say is that every time Forrest has had the ball they've completely outnumbered him and snuffed his threat. 

Only because he dwells on the ball, so slow to release it at times.

Just now, Jamboelite said:

People having a dig at Clarke he’s been in the door 5mins give him a chance ffs !!

Exactly.

Samuel Camazzola
8 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

I posted earlier on the thread.  Someone said it was £30 a ticket and I never actually believed them, so checked.

Every game is £30.  Even San Marino.

It's ridiculous. If it wasn't a Saturday in June, you could strip 10k off the attendance. 

It's not difficult to come up with sensible pricing which could fill the place. 

Surely everyone would rather play in a full 20k stadium than this shell. 

13 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

A win is a win

Agree 100%. I thought Soapy would've been a good though choice though , walking the ball out and picking a pass. Unimpressive defence and thankfully the post came to our rescue. But as you said. A win is a win ....! 

20 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Shorter when he jumps.  He’s a useless *******.

A half fit Berra would have been better.

5 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

It's ridiculous. If it wasn't a Saturday in June, you could strip 10k off the attendance. 

It's not difficult to come up with sensible pricing which could fill the place. 

Surely everyone would rather play in a full 20k stadium than this shell. 

Unbelievable. £15 adults £10 kids and you probably sell out that place.

portobellojambo1
10 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Think a few played themselves out of Clarke's plans for the next 11 in that match

Did they though, or was it more an indication of the quality of players available to Steve Clarke, in fact whoever had been appointed as the new manager. At club level if you have players who aren't up to requirements you have the option of replacing them with players of a different nationality, for example. The Scotland manager doesn't have that option and I'm not sure how many players who weren't picked for the squad were available and of a better standard. I think the game was more a reflection of where Scottish football stands overall in the scheme of things. In saying that football is about winning, and he achieved that tonight, has something to work on in relation to that, but I don't really expect the team to turn into something wornderful because McLeish has been replaced. There are a few players who have been playing well for their clubs, but generally in teams with better quality players around them. Getting them to function at the same level in international football might not be an easy task.

10 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Brophy nowhere near good enough.

He’s had a good season with Killie and probably deserved a shot. I agree though, nowhere near the level required.

2 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Did they though, or was it more an indication of the quality of players available to Steve Clarke, in fact whoever had been appointed as the new manager. At club level if you have players who aren't up to requirements you have the option of replacing them with players of a different nationality, for example. The Scotland manager doesn't have that option and I'm not sure how many players who weren't picked for the squad were available and of a better standard. I think the game was more a reflection of where Scottish football stands overall in the scheme of things. In saying that football is about winning, and he achieved that tonight, has something to work on in relation to that, but I don't really expect the team to turn into something wornderful because McLeish has been replaced. There are a few players who have been playing well for their clubs, but generally in teams with better quality players around them. Getting them to function at the same level in international football might not be an easy task.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Burke, Armstrong and McTominay all come in for the next game. He's got options there and the players they replaced were very, very poor 

Edited by Taffin

24 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Good. Hopefully Souttar in for Mulgrew and McLean, McGregor and Brophy out.

I sympathise with Clarke's lack of options up front. Brophy was worth a shot, but Armstrong and McTominay should bring much more to the team than most of the midfield he picked. It baffles me that McTominay doesn't get picked for Scotland.

Edited by Guest

For those of us old enough to remember a competitive game against Cyprus that led to a major tournament qualification.

2.1 at Hampden

Leighton James,

Gough Richard,

Malpas Maurice,

Aitken Robert "Roy"(c),

McLeish Alexander,

McPherson David,

Nevin Patrick,

McStay Paul,

Johnston Maurice,

McCoist Allister,

Durie Gordon

It's in the stars  via the Nations League.

28 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Same game, it has been poor to watch, just like watching a Levein team.

Take a night off for once.  Only you could have a dig at the Hearts manager after watching Scotland play, pathetic doesn't cover it

You do have to give Clarke credit and respect for him trusting Brophy.

He may have just had a bad game compared to usual.

I can't say I have ever really noticed him standing out though.

Gorillajam

Brophy worked hard but he's not good enough at this level. McLean, McKenna and McGinn were ok - not as bad as some folk are making out. I agree that Armstrong should be picked for the next match. Fraser was head and shoulders above the rest - should be playing for a top 4 EPL side. Fantastic strike from Robertson however he was sleeping for their goal - he was marking his man. I'm not overly impressed by Burke but well done for scoring the winner. 

Not a great performance however a wins a win. 

Samuel Camazzola
11 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

You do have to give Clarke credit and respect for him trusting Brophy.

He may have just had a bad game compared to usual.

I can't say I have ever really noticed him standing out though.

Wouldn't say he had a bad game. Just had little to work with to become effective. 

Diadora Van Basten

Brophy with 12 goals should not be starting for Scotland.

McCoist would have been lapping up having Fraser and Forrest sticking the ball in the box.

Samuel Camazzola
6 minutes ago, Gorillajam said:

Brophy worked hard but he's not good enough at this level. McLean, McKenna and McGinn were ok - not as bad as some folk are making out. I agree that Armstrong should be picked for the next match. Fraser was head and shoulders above the rest - should be playing for a top 4 EPL side. Fantastic strike from Robertson however he was sleeping for their goal - he was marking his man. I'm not overly impressed by Burke but well done for scoring the winner. 

McGinn made two huge errors which contributed to Cyprus' best chances before their goal. 

McLean and McKenna were fine and Mulgrew was comfortable. Fraser was our top performer and hopefully he'll be fine for Tuesday. He looked puggled after taking a couple of challenges in injury time. 

Jambof3tornado
16 minutes ago, Gorillajam said:

Mcginn was shite mate.

AlphonseCapone

Hopefully the usual sort of roasters keep their mouths shut for a while and let Clarke have a chance to work on the team. 

letsalldothebeattie

Not going to slate too much we got the win but a fairly poor performance but hopefully that comes with the more games Clarke is in charge of. At the minute it’s about the results. 

11 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

McGinn made two huge errors which contributed to Cyprus' best chances before their goal. 

McLean and McKenna were fine and Mulgrew was comfortable. Fraser was our top performer and hopefully he'll be fine for Tuesday. He looked puggled after taking a couple of challenges in injury time. 

Getting the best out of McGinn should be one of Clarke's priorities. He's been a revelation at Villa but has made several very bad and costly or nearly costly mistakes for Scotland. 

Job 1 for Clarke: Settle on a strike force or find a system to overcome not having decent strikers, something Levein couldn't do for us last season - big test of Clarke's ability. If ONeil can do that at Ni we can.

Job 2: Find a solid centre back partnership and stick with it

Job 3: Play to the qualities Robertson, Fraser, McTominay and McGinn show at their clubs. Basically build the team around the only real top class talent we have.

Job 4: Put a bit more trust in youngsters than previous Scotland managers, eg If someone like Cochrane emerges as a consistent performer for us, stick him in.

Edited by Guest

jamboinglasgow

It wasn't the greatest performance but its the start a new era and quickly replying after losing a goal is something that feels like it hasn't happened in a long time.

I think the context of this match needs to be taken into account before Clarke and the players are too harshly criticised.

Clarke had a short time between being appointed, announcing his first squad and preparing for this game (less than 3 weeks between being announced and playing this game.) Some players who he could pick and have picked have not played for a month (McLean and Fleck for example.) This is being played at the end of the season where players are often quite tired and some have played a crazy amount of games, Robertson has played 55 compeitive games this season, McGinn has played 50, James Forrest has played 62 games. While we have some of our best players, there is a weakness in certain areas with injuries playing a part.

This could have been a massive banana skin, so in the end its 3 points and what we need. Keep it respectable against Belgium and I think Scotland will look a lot better come the next round of qualifying.

Cyprus should have won that game. Perhaps thought Scotland were better than they are. 

But I saw positives. In particular that there was always someone avaliable to take a pass. Strange all the balls into box early when we had no one to win the ball though maybe they thought Cyprus were weak there. At least they changed it. 

A bit lucky but a good win. 

Rudi5kaceldream1ng

I’ve already said this but I seriously think we should try and bring Burke in up front with Uche. He is by no means the finished article but he’s an absolute tank and that leap for the goal from a standing start showed the lads athleticism.

There was a guy called Anya or something like that who looked really good one time I saw him playing for Scotland.

Presume he's just faded out the picture.

If I was Clarke I'd bring the thumb  Tierney, Naismith, Berra  Hickey and Souttar in.

Ferryjambo99

Thank goodness we got the win. 

McKenna is poor, souttar should start ahead of him. 

Can't see brophy making it at this level. 

Robertson and Fraser looked very dangerous 

11 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Hopefully the usual sort of roasters keep their mouths shut for a while and let Clarke have a chance to work on the team. 

10 minutes ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

Not going to slate too much we got the win but a fairly poor performance but hopefully that comes with the more games Clarke is in charge of. At the minute it’s about the results. 

Agree. All too often it feels like Scotland have been on the receiving end of late goals, at least we managed to grab the win at the death for once. 

Early days and the crucial win is what we got. Hopefully kick on from here.

?