***OFFICIAL SCOTLAND VS CYPRUS THREAD***

William H. Bonney

Mr Elwood P
6 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

There was a guy called Anya or something like that who looked really good one time I saw him playing for Scotland.

Presume he's just faded out the picture.

If I was Clarke I'd bring the thumb  Tierney, Naismith, Berra  Hickey and Souttar in.

Thumb and Tierney are injured. Berra is most likely done at International level. Why on earth would Hickey be called up? He’s 17 , played two games for Hearts and plays in the only position that we have two players of genuine quality in.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambof3tornado

• Lovecraft

• gashauskis9

• Mr Elwood P

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mr Elwood P
9 minutes ago, Rudi5kaceldream1ng said:

I’ve already said this but I seriously think we should try and bring Burke in up front with Uche. He is by no means the finished article but he’s an absolute tank and that leap for the goal from a standing start showed the lads athleticism.

Aye, see if  can get Tierney and Forrest as well.

14 minutes ago, Whatever said:

The job will finish Clarke.

This. He’s been a mug taking the job. A complete dearth of talent around as far as the national team is concerned just now.  Something that has to be addressed at the top. Unfortunately those involved in running the game here are more bothered about ensuring that the needs of the Old Firm are catered for before seeing to the good of the game in general. Nothing will change here before there is a mass clear  out at the top.

Rudi5kaceldream1ng
7 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Aye, see if  can get Tierney and Forrest as well.

Let’s face it after his Celtic spell he’s looking at a hearts or Aberdeen now though to rebuild surely? He’s definetly got something and we could use him.

Mr Elwood P
3 minutes ago, Rudi5kaceldream1ng said:

Let’s face it after his Celtic spell he’s looking at a hearts or Aberdeen now though to rebuild surely? He’s definetly got something and we could use him.

He’s not. He will either play in the English Championship or be retained by Celtic. We couldn’t afford his wages. He’s had two £14m moves and played in the Bundesliga. He won’t be anywhere near Hearts or Aberdeen.

skinnybob72
1 hour ago, Lovecraft said:

I posted earlier on the thread.  Someone said it was £30 a ticket and I never actually believed them, so checked.

Every game is £30.  Even San Marino.

There was probably a bigger crowd at Murrayfield to see the Spice Girls tonight. 

1 minute ago, skinnybob72 said:

There was probably a bigger crowd at Murrayfield to see the Spice Girls tonight. 

Looks like it

Mr Elwood P
2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Looks like it

I’ve been saying for years that the Spice Girls were ruining Scottish Football. 

Alex Kintner
44 minutes ago, Rudi5kaceldream1ng said:

I’ve already said this but I seriously think we should try and bring Burke in up front with Uche. He is by no means the finished article but he’s an absolute tank and that leap for the goal from a standing start showed the lads athleticism.

I had a dream we signed Burke. Although it has to be said, I was a complete and utter moron in that dream.

59 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

I had a dream we signed Burke. Although it has to be said, I was a complete and utter moron in that dream.

Did you try and hump him?

gashauskis9
1 hour ago, Rudi5kaceldream1ng said:

You know how much West Brom paid for him yeah?

1 hour ago, Deevers said:

This. He’s been a mug taking the job. A complete dearth of talent around as far as the national team is concerned just now.  Something that has to be addressed at the top. Unfortunately those involved in running the game here are more bothered about ensuring that the needs of the Old Firm are catered for before seeing to the good of the game in general. Nothing will change here before there is a mass clear  out at the top.

There’s a decent number of talented players though. Robertson, Fraser, Cairney, McTominay, Forrest, Armstrong, Souttar. We lack options up front whilst Griffiths is unavailable.

1 hour ago, Doc Rob said:

There’s a decent number of talented players though. Robertson, Fraser, Cairney, McTominay, Forrest, Armstrong, Souttar. We lack options up front whilst Griffiths is unavailable.

This for me. Some really decent players available with a few playing at a high level. Personally I dont get all the hype surrounding McKenna and, maroon tinted glasses aside, idve had souttar starting ahead of him. Wouldve started burke ahead of brophy too. Still a wins a win, and we showed a hunger and desire that had been severely lacking under mcleish. Strachan never had us far away from qualification towards the end and I truly believe Clarke wont be far away if hes (surely) given time 

9 hours ago, Gambo said:

This is like watching a Levein team. Hard working and nothing else.

Maybe that’s just the majority of Scottish football for you then and not a Levein thing...?

8 hours ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Brophy with 12 goals should not be starting for Scotland.

McCoist would have been lapping up having Fraser and Forrest sticking the ball in the box.

McCoist’s finished mate.

John Findlay
7 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I’ve been saying for years that the Spice Girls were ruining Scottish Football. 

They've had a good shot at ruining music.

Deevers 

We must have more EPL players in our squad than for many years. I see a lot of talented players now that, managed more positively, should start to build into a decent team.

I thought we played some decent football at times but without a real threat in the striker position. I don’t think it was a mistake to play Brophy but it didn’t work out brilliantly for him.

Robertson and Fraser were very good quality. Midfield needs a reshuffle for Tuesday but we are strong in their now for quality.

Mulgrew did nothing wrong, and for the game against Brussels I’d imagine McKenna will keep his place. 

Maroonblood22

Look at the damage that has been done to our national team over such a long period of time. Clarke was never going to change that after working with the players for a week. Add to that it's June and those players have had a long season, it's not exactly great timing for such an important game in the qualifiers.

Clarke needs time to instil confidence and his style of play on this team. One of the most important factors is a winning mentality, so whilst we should of course be disposing of teams like Cyprus with ease, we can take something from the fact that we came back quickly from them equalising, something that will do those players no harm.

Credit to Clarke for his trust in the starting lineup as well as the changes he made. He's a good manager and will know exactly what needs to be done / changed going forward.

As a nation we really need to get behind Clarke and the players for this. For the first time in a long time it does feel like a new era for us and we do have some quality players that will need time to gel together under some proper national team management.

Holyrood_Hearts
8 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

There was a guy called Anya or something like that who looked really good one time I saw him playing for Scotland.

If I was Clarke I'd bring the thumb  Tierney, Naismith, Berra  Hickey and Souttar in.

Berra’s struggling for us never mind trying to play at International level & as for Hickey ??‍♂️

Holyrood_Hearts
6 hours ago, Doc Rob said:

Spot on. 

Independence
8 hours ago, skinnybob72 said:

Apple and pears? 

6 hours ago, Doc Rob said:

Well let's see how all of this pans out over the next year.  Let's face facts last night was nothing to write home about. They were hard working but little else for me. Clarke has a job on his hands to get us anywhere just now. I have a feeling that in eighteen months time he'll be away.

Holyrood_Hearts
8 hours ago, Rudi5kaceldream1ng said:

Easy pal. That’s one of the most ridiculous things I’ve read on here.

John Findlay

Clarke will more than likely feel the wrath of the wedgie media mid-week after Scotland get beat from Belgium especially if by more than a two goals margin. Afterall he replaced one of their favourite sons and was highly critical of both of the arse cheeks support whilst at Killie. Knives will be getting sharpened.

30 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Deevers 

We must have more EPL players in our squad than for many years. I see a lot of talented players now that, managed more positively, should start to build into a decent team.

I thought we played some decent football at times but without a real threat in the striker position. I don’t think it was a mistake to play Brophy but it didn’t work out brilliantly for him.

Robertson and Fraser were very good quality. Midfield needs a reshuffle for Tuesday but we are strong in their now for quality.

Mulgrew did nothing wrong, and for the game against Brussels I’d imagine McKenna will keep his place. 

Maybe just they way I look at the International team these days.  I still feel that there is a lack of quality in the team. We worked hard and you cannot fault the effort put in.  However for me if we are going to go places we must start by producing more emphatic results against teams we should be beating at home.  The next game will be interesting given its against better quality opposition and will give an indication of whether we have started to progress or not.  I constantly hope for the best for our international side.  I really hope that Clarke can fire them up and inspire confidence in the team. Just that I've seen too many false dawns. Maybe this time though........!

Brussels is a pretty high bar against which to measure if we are making progress.

That said I’m sure some on here would say - aye but all that country does is make chocolate waffles....we should be beating the likes of them...

16 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Brussels is a pretty high bar against which to measure if we are making progress.

That said I’m sure some on here would say - aye but all that country does is make chocolate waffles....we should be beating the likes of them...

Progessing though would be getting a result and producing a display against them though.  If we are going to get though to the final stages of International competitions we have to beat teams like this. I'd rather measure how far we have progressed by looking at how we have played against a team like Belgium than taking heart from a last minute win against Cyprus at home.  Over the last few decades we have allowed ourselves to be satisfied by that kind of result when deep inside we have known that we need to be better.

If that had ended a draw then selecting Brophy might have become Steve Clarke's 4-6-0 moment. I think he might have felt this was a game where he could afford to give the lad some 'experience' and it nearly backfired. As it turned out, no real harm done, but I'll be amazed if he and McLean aren't dropped for Burke and McTominay against Belgium.

I like the fact that Clarke isn't just writing off our chances of getting something from that game, but for those of you who play five-a-sides: if the five best players are all on the same team, how likely is that team not to win?

John Findlay
1 hour ago, Deevers said:

Progessing though would be getting a result and producing a display against them though.  If we are going to get though to the final stages of International competitions we have to beat teams like this. I'd rather measure how far we have progressed by looking at how we have played against a team like Belgium than taking heart from a last minute win against Cyprus at home.  Over the last few decades we have allowed ourselves to be satisfied by that kind of result when deep inside we have known that we need to be better.

If we get a result and performance the equivalent of ours against Celtic in the cup final, would you call that progression?

Marshall 6

O'Donnell 4

Robertson 7

McKenna 5

Mulgrew 6

McLean 5

McGinn 6

McGregor 6

Forrest 6

Fraser 7

Brophy 4

Burke 6

McTominay 6

Armstrong - no time

I thought about upgrading Fraser and McGregor as they both tried to make things happen, but both also gave the ball away a few too many times. O'Donnell and Brophy may also seem harsh, but they would have been battered by better opposition on that showing.

Calebs Grandad
15 hours ago, Rudy T said:

No way can that lose should be putting more than 2 quid if on, so you give me 50 quid I’ll put it on for you?

I felt the bet was going to lose when Russia scored their 7th as the San Marino heads dropped a bit ?

10 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

If we get a result and performance the equivalent of ours against Celtic in the cup final, would you call that progression?

If the performance showed real progress John then yes.  My point is that over many years we have become all too complacent and allowing ourselves to be content with scraped results against the likes of Cyprus. We really need to be playing well consistently against everyone we meet. All to often over the years we have produced a display that whets the appetite only for it to be followed by something awful. I am actually quite happy that Clarke has this job.  I just wonder though how much time he will be given by our Old Firm loving media. I await the next match with interest. It should show us something of where we are going.

Edited by Deevers

2 hours ago, Deevers said:

Well let's see how all of this pans out over the next year.  Let's face facts last night was nothing to write home about. They were hard working but little else for me. Clarke has a job on his hands to get us anywhere just now. I have a feeling that in eighteen months time he'll be away.

There was a total different mindset last night. You could feel the passion again. Fans and players.

I think we'll sneak a wee draw midweek too.

And back to Hearts, I thought the captain of  Cyprus was a very good player. Could do a job, as they say.

portobellojambo1
11 hours ago, Taffin said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Burke, Armstrong and McTominay all come in for the next game. He's got options there and the players they replaced were very, very poor 

From watching the game the players who didn't perform particularly well, imo, seem to be playing well at club level, the likes of Calum McGregor at Celtic and John McGinn at Aston Villa. I think part of the problem with Burke was that the media possibly built him up to be a bit special before he had really ever achieved anything. It will be interesting to see how Clarke gets the team playing, I was listening into the after match comments and they were saying he doesn't like to play with high players, which is maybe why there was disappointment in the lack of attacking options yesterday evening. I think John Souttar will stroll back into the side, as he is so much better than what was on show. And while I'd imagine he would have loved to have been selected last night I was actually pleased he wasn't there. I'd prefer him to continue to rest over the club close season and come back fit and refreshed for HMFC and then push on from there. Will be a different sort of game on Tuesday night, which may give a better idea of any sort of major changes which are going to be made to the way the team plays.

rick witter
11 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Hickey FFS ????

Wasn't impressed at all with the celtic players. Not just saying that for a cheap dig either. Neither McGregor or Forrest looked very good against what shouldn't be very challenging opposition. Forrest though, is a good player and wingers are notoriously inconsistent. 

McGregor though, he's pish. Hopefully Armstrong stakes a place going forward.  

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Thaw said:

If that had ended a draw then selecting Brophy might have become Steve Clarke's 4-6-0 moment. I think he might have felt this was a game where he could afford to give the lad some 'experience' and it nearly backfired. As it turned out, no real harm done, but I'll be amazed if he and McLean aren't dropped for Burke and McTominay against Belgium.

I like the fact that Clarke isn't just writing off our chances of getting something from that game, but for those of you who play five-a-sides: if the five best players are all on the same team, how likely is that team not to win?

It's interesting how others view a game. I thought McLean was decent and that McGinn looked lost. He had two terrible errors that could have resulted in goals. Against better opposition, they'd have likely been goals. I'd expect McLean to retain his place with questions raised surrounding McGinn's inclusion. 

I don't expect Brophy to start on Tuesday but he wasn't the issue yesterday. He had little to work off and the tactics weren't to press in numbers (where he'd have been the trigger to close the defenders). 

12 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

I think you will find that when Tierney, Naismith and Thumb are all fully fit then they will very much be part of his plans.

Unfortunately I fear that Berra's days are numbered in terms of playing for Scotland.

The player you were trying to remember is Ikechi Anya and he is at Derby County although I have no idea if he has been playing for them. He is very small but very quick and  has played as a wing back for Scotland.

Souttar is part of the squad already so is obviously in his thoughts although Hickey is far too young and inexperienced to be considered at this level just now.

Edited by wavydavy

jamboinglasgow

On a different Scotland note, just saw this tweet from 2015 and found it interesting.

Of that starting XI for Scotland U21 that day, 2 were playing last night, 2 were on the bench, 3 have full Scotland caps but not in last nights squad, 2 have been called up to Scotland squads but not played, only 2 have reached the senior Scotland squad. So 9 out of a starting XI of a Scotland U21 team, have been called up to the senior squad since, very impressive.

3 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

On a different Scotland note, just saw this tweet from 2015 and found it interesting.

Of that starting XI for Scotland U21 that day, 2 were playing last night, 2 were on the bench, 3 have full Scotland caps but not in last nights squad, 2 have been called up to Scotland squads but not played, only 2 have reached the senior Scotland squad. So 9 out of a starting XI of a Scotland U21 team, have been called up to the senior squad since, very impressive.

Hard to believe that Jack Hamilton and Jordan McGhee were playing, look what's happened to them now.

Edited by wavydavy

jamboiain13

I simply can't understand why McKenna gets a game for Scotland ahead of Souttar.  Every time he plays for Scotland the defence seems lost and all over the place ; his positional sense is woeful and looks a disaster waiting to happen.  Andy Robertson taking the blame for Cyprus' equaliser byt wtf is McKenna doing?  As for McGinn, I think if he sticks to doing the basics he could be useful but trying Zizou like pirouettes about 25 yards out then falling on his arse is likely to be punished by a half decent team.  Work to be done by Stevie Clarke but hopefully he can have us difficult to beat and working to our strengths in counter attacking until such times as the confidence / arrogance grows and we can get some Scotland swagger back into our game

45 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

It's interesting how others view a game. I thought McLean was decent and that McGinn looked lost. He had two terrible errors that could have resulted in goals. Against better opposition, they'd have likely been goals. I'd expect McLean to retain his place with questions raised surrounding McGinn's inclusion. 

I don't expect Brophy to start on Tuesday but he wasn't the issue yesterday. He had little to work off and the tactics weren't to press in numbers (where he'd have been the trigger to close the defenders). 

McGinn didn't have his best night, but at least he kept looking for the ball and trying to make things happen. McLean to me looked low on confidence and too often took the safe option when he had time to turn and move play forward.

avhudtheteeshirt
49 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I thought the same about McGinn, the mistake turning into the Cypriot player 35 yards out was exactly the same as the one that cost us a goal before and a better striker would have scored there!

As for Brophy, they kept on saying he had no support, but neither did Burke, but he at least had presence and did well to score!

Fraser although he put in some telling crosses should be looking first to see if anyone is in the box before sending them in?

Forrest looked jaded as did MacGregor, neither did anything to help ignite the team.

The back 4 looked disjointed and against Belgium will be made to pay, to often 2-3 of them played offside with 1 left playing them onside, against better teams it will be used to create chances!!!!

All told Clarke has a mountain to climb with what he has as players at the moment, unless he can find 5-6 quality players soon, his time as Scotland manager will go the same as the rest before him!!!!!

26 minutes ago, Thaw said:

McGinn didn't have his best night, but at least he kept looking for the ball and trying to make things happen. McLean to me looked low on confidence and too often took the safe option when he had time to turn and move play forward.

McLean for most of the game wanted to pass across the line or backwards it was almost like three CB's at times. We don't seem to have a dominant central midfielder who can stroke the ball about and create. McGinn and McGregor are too alike to play together for me. I think we need Armstrong in for one of them or McTominay.

1 hour ago, wavydavy said:

I think you will find that when Tierney, Naismith and Thumb are all fully fit then they will very much be part of his plans.

Unfortunately I fear that Berra's days are numbered in terms of playing for Scotland.

The player you were trying to remember is Ikechi Anya and he is at Derby County although I have no idea if he has been playing for them. He is very small but very quick and  has played as a wing back for Scotland.

Souttar is part of the squad already so is obviously in his thoughts although Hickey is far too young and inexperienced to be considered at this level just now.

He serves no purpose to the first 11 other than hindering Robertson when shoe horned into it.

He should be on the bench and in all truth he shouldn't be selected due to his lack of commitment.

Just now, Taffin said:

He serves no purpose to the first 11 other than hindering Robertson when shoe horned into it.

He should be on the bench and in all truth he shouldn't be selected due to his lack of commitment.

I was giving my thoughts on what I think Clarke will do not necessarily what I would do. Players do get injured or suspended so it is good to have some quality cover.

The problem with the Celtic players is they’ve played an unbelievable amount of games this season, they’ve had the high of the treble treble and now they’re being asked to play for Scotland in two games when they should be on their holidays. I’m actually not surprised they struggled last night. Same probably goes for McGinn after a championship season and play offs. Watching the England game the other night showed the same level of commitment they looked keen to be on holiday.

I know some will point to Robertson and say he should be the same but let’s be honest he’s a different breed of footballer to anything we’ve produced in decades.

1 hour ago, wavydavy said:

Based on Berra’s form after he came back he should be nowhere near a Scotland squad. He’s at an age now where I’d rather he wasn’t and concentrated on Hearts.

I think the partnership going forward will be Souttar and the lad Porteous from Hibs. Not while they’re at the Edinburgh teams but watch them become automatic picks when they move. McKenna is a cart horse!

1 minute ago, Rudy T said:

Based on Berra’s form after he came back he should be nowhere near a Scotland squad. He’s at an age now where I’d rather he wasn’t and concentrated on Hearts.

I think the partnership going forward will be Souttar and the lad Porteous from Hibs. Not while they’re at the Edinburgh teams but watch them become automatic picks when they move. McKenna is a cart horse!

Thats actually a good shout, I hadn't thought about Porteous. Thats some potentially very good options in the earlly 20s age group, Souttar, McKenna, Bates, Porteous, Lindsay, Hendry 

Hopefully one or two of them make it to a top end EPL team. If we had another could of players playing at the same level as Robertson, Fraser & McTominay we'd be very well set up.