Dublin pre season

SMJ_1874

Any jambos planning on going to this pre season game? Owing to work commitments, I’m not sure wether to go to this game or the one against Glenavon on the Saturday. Will definitely be taking in one of them though. Has anyone got any good meeting places or boozers from last trip over the. One things for sure though... I’m already champing at the bit for the season to start. I hate the close season without being able to watch the famous. Saturdays just aren’t the same without them! 

Got flights and digs for the week, doing the double header same as I did two year ago. Fly into Dublin early Monday for 3 days then train up to Belfast for Thurs - Sunday. Essentially a few days on the peev bookended by the football. They’re typically

low key affairs but like you I am desperate for them by that time. 

Quite a few boys did the same last time or picked one (mostly the latter, Linfield on the Saturday).

There’s another thread a couple of pages in, entitled Glenavon.

Nearer the time you’ll get a lot more chat about prematch venues of choice. Suggestion is the social club in Lurgan ahead of Glens game.

Seemingly St Johnstone are in Belfast that weekend too. 

Edited by cocobeab

portobellojambo1
11 minutes ago, cocobeab said:

Got flights and digs for the week, doing the double header same as I did two year ago. Fly into Dublin early Monday for 3 days then train up to Belfast for Thurs - Sunday. Essentially a few days on the peev bookended by the football. They’re typically

low key affairs but like you I am desperate for them by that time. 

Quite a few boys did the same last time or picked one (mostly the latter, Linfield on the Saturday).

There’s another thread a couple of pages in, entitled Glenavon.

Nearer the time you’ll get a lot more chat about prematch venues of choice. Suggestion is the social club in Lurgan ahead of Glens game.

Seemingly St Johnstone are in Belfast that weekend too. 

Which club are you talking about, if you don't mind me asking. If I go to either game it will be the one in Lurgan, but it will involve a train from Belfast to Lurgan, drink in the one safe place that has been mentioned to us and straight back to Belfast after the game (just waiting on confirmation from someone else before booking things up).

Edited by portobellojambo1

Ive been told the Glenavon Social Club, at the ground itself, is the best bet. Like you I’ll be in Belfast otherwise, jook down to Lurgan ahead of kick off on the day and more than likely head back no long after match. Seemingly the trains are fairly regular, think someone said it’ll take about 3/4 of an hour.

Calebs Grandad

Looking forward to see who we have recruited by the time this game comes around. Hopefully the boss manages to bring in the players required for us to make next season an excellent one for the club. 

Blackshades

Flying to Belfast on the Thursday back Sunday .train down to lurggan on sat looking forward to lots of ??

Marooned In Ireland

If anyone is planning on booze in Dublin, there are loads of places to go near Tolka Park, 10 - 15 mins walk in the city centre direction will see you in proximity of several welcoming pubs. A lot of them in that area will be filled with GAA memorabilia as Croke Park is so near but that's nothing to worry about. Quinn's pub is famous. The match is on a Wednesday I believe, so there won't be massive crowds anywhere. If you happen to be walking down Dorset Street, avoid The Auld Triangle pub. Dodgy crowd. Nowhere else springs to mind as a problem.

portobellojambo1
19 hours ago, cocobeab said:

Ive been told the Glenavon Social Club, at the ground itself, is the best bet. Like you I’ll be in Belfast otherwise, jook down to Lurgan ahead of kick off on the day and more than likely head back no long after match. Seemingly the trains are fairly regular, think someone said it’ll take about 3/4 of an hour.

Cheers, I'd actually contacted a group on Facebook, having established, I thought, that they drank in a social club based inside the ground. Whoever it was that responded was brutally honest in his/her response. I'd asked about any potential problems with us wearing club colours in Lurgan, and the response was probably best not to. The person explained that Lurgan is a predominantly Nationalist town, around 70% of the population. They then went on to say that the largest 4 places to drink in within Lurgan are all Glasgow Celtic Supporters Clubs, and they hate us, despite probably never having seen HMFC. They also said that if we arrived by train the station is in the middle of the strongest part of the Nationalist community, and they would know we had arrived if colours were on show. He told us where to drink, and I'm keeping that to myself just now, as I'm not sure what size the bar is in the place. He also told me it was the only place they, as locals, felt it was safe to drink in, and they are both locals and Glenavon fans. I wasn't sure how to take it, although did thank them for the heads up. I then asked someone from Belfast who had come over for the final and travelled on our bus. I thought I'd get his thoughts as he now lives and works in Belfast and is married to a local Roman Catholic. His thought about Lurgan were very simialr, he will be going to the game from Belfast, straight in, straight out again and won't be wearing any colours.

portobellojambo1
Just now, Barack said:

Sounds like a great atmosphere to be had...

I knew that outwith Belfast the communities tend to be a bit more split still. You can drink anywhere in Belfast City Centre and those in the pubs are out for a good night and then head back to their own areas of town. I just thought, given some things I'd heard about Lurgan, that it was best to ask one or two questions rather than just turn up and assume it would be like the last few football trips to Northern Ireland, where we spent a lot of our drinking time either in East Belfast (games played at Glentoran's ground) or on The Sandy Row (game versus Linfield at Windsor Park).

portobellojambo1
4 minutes ago, Barack said:

Would personally rather visit Syria in a USA top, than turn up in NI with some of those who're likely to be tagging along on a jolly boy's outing.

Sure you'll have a good time though, PJ1. 

Certainly hope so. There is someone travelling over with another group of fans and he celebrates his 60th birthday. So we are hoping to meet up with them in Belfast on the Saturday night for a good few sweet sherries.

1 hour ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Cheers, I'd actually contacted a group on Facebook, having established, I thought, that they drank in a social club based inside the ground. Whoever it was that responded was brutally honest in his/her response. I'd asked about any potential problems with us wearing club colours in Lurgan, and the response was probably best not to. The person explained that Lurgan is a predominantly Nationalist town, around 70% of the population. They then went on to say that the largest 4 places to drink in within Lurgan are all Glasgow Celtic Supporters Clubs, and they hate us, despite probably never having seen HMFC. They also said that if we arrived by train the station is in the middle of the strongest part of the Nationalist community, and they would know we had arrived if colours were on show. He told us where to drink, and I'm keeping that to myself just now, as I'm not sure what size the bar is in the place. He also told me it was the only place they, as locals, felt it was safe to drink in, and they are both locals and Glenavon fans. I wasn't sure how to take it, although did thank them for the heads up. I then asked someone from Belfast who had come over for the final and travelled on our bus. I thought I'd get his thoughts as he now lives and works in Belfast and is married to a local Roman Catholic. His thought about Lurgan were very simialr, he will be going to the game from Belfast, straight in, straight out again and won't be wearing any colours.

What I think he means most bars are in the nationalist side of town, there is a celtic supports club opposite the psni station, he is correct once you get in by train head straight up past psni Station  /church &  war memorial u won't miss it and keep walking until you see a big blue building on right hand side   Mechanics Institute, big enough place. 

If you don't want to walk it I can suggest a local taxi firm by pm 

Edited by Cyber

BelgeJambo

Linfield was good craic and decent crowd for a friendly 

just a shame 3 Jambos decided to absolutely abuse Isma.

Never heard anything like it and lucky they escaped unharmed

Blackshades

Don't think I will bother with refreshments in lurgan .in and out as guickly as possible plenty good places to drink in Belfast before and after

Excellent work pj excellent work ,am sure our mutual acquaintance will enjoy his 60th and make sure you get in the right cab.......

3 hours ago, portobellojambo1 said:

I knew that outwith Belfast the communities tend to be a bit more split still. You can drink anywhere in Belfast City Centre and those in the pubs are out for a good night and then head back to their own areas of town. I just thought, given some things I'd heard about Lurgan, that it was best to ask one or two questions rather than just turn up and assume it would be like the last few football trips to Northern Ireland, where we spent a lot of our drinking time either in East Belfast (games played at Glentoran's ground) or on The Sandy Row (game versus Linfield at Windsor Park).

My cousin lives in Banbridge nearby and said Lurgan is a total hole. However she did say that she's never had any problems there and she's got an Essex accent as well. Luckily I'm going with the Mrs and not a jolly boys outing as that could attract attention. I'm sure all those like myself travelling from Belfast on the Train will be fine. They better have extra taxis on that day because I can see them having a busy day as nobody will want to be lingering around the Train station side of town for too long. 

His name is

I'd be more weary wearing colours in Dublin than Lurgan tbh.

Edited by His name is

the general
2 hours ago, His name is said:

Apart from the UEFA game there has never been any problems in Dublin that I know of

Geoff Kilpatrick
2 hours ago, His name is said:

You'd be mistaken. If you think Lennon is bitter (he's from Kilwilkie, the big republican housing scheme), he's ecumencial compared to some of the bitter yahoos from there.

Pj gets info from a couple of anons and makes Lurgan out to be the Bronx, it's a dump and we are talking about a pre season friendly.

7 hours ago, His name is said:

I live in Dublin. Absolutely no problem wearing Hearts colours. I do remember trouble at the UEFA St Pat's game but that was apparantly caused by idiots who came down from the North. Vast majority of Dubs couldn't care less and support English teams or GAA anyway.

sprinbox98
2 minutes ago, dbusby6 said:

I live in Dublin. Absolutely no problem wearing Hearts colours. I do remember trouble at the UEFA St Pat's game but that was apparantly caused by idiots who came down from the North. Vast majority of Dubs couldn't care less and support English teams or GAA anyway.

Totally agree. My son had his hearts top on in Dublin 2 years ago while visiting friends. Nothing but decent comments coming from everyone and nothing untoward being said.

regarding Northern Ireland, as with anywhere if you go looking for trouble you will normally find it in some shape or form.

The country still has its bampots but it’s cleaned up its smaller towns outside Belfast dramatically in the last few years. Yes some are still an absolute dump but they are being made out to be worse than Baghdad on here!!

Forever Hearts
23 minutes ago, dbusby6 said:

Exactly. There's still people have this idea that every person in the Republic of Ireland supports Celtic when in reality the vast majority couldn't care less about them. 

Possibly the saddest thread ever.

Conversations about where you can and cannot go, what you can and cannot wear at a pre-season, meaningless game against a semi-professional team, set in a province which cannot leave behind religious intolerances dating back three hundred years. 

Get a life and go on a proper holiday would be my advice. 

Forever Hearts
14 minutes ago, Paris 84 said:

Possibly the saddest thread ever.

Conversations about where you can and cannot go, what you can and cannot wear at a pre-season, meaningless game against a semi-professional team, set in a province which cannot leave behind religious intolerances dating back three hundred years. 

Get a life and go on a proper holiday would be my advice. 

I think you'll find the vast majority of Northern Irish people want to leave the past behind and live in peace. 

This thread has went total car crash, I can't see there being any problems in Dublin or Lurgan it's a pre season friendly, visiting team supporters come in by train regularly on a Saturday for Irish league games to Lurgan.. Not much to do, so makes sense for folk to stay in Belfast and enjoy a cracking day/ night out. 

2 hours ago, Forever Hearts said:

I think you'll find the vast majority of Northern Irish people want to leave the past behind and live in peace. 

Spot on! It's the ones who don't want to leave the past behind who were responsible for stuff like the shooting of the journalist or the bomb blast in Derry in recent weeks.

• 3 weeks later...
credit card

Looking forward to this one booked to go to the Irish Derby at the Curragh on the Saturday a day trip to Galway on the Sunday and to see the Jambos on the Monday. #guinnesstastic

20 minutes ago, credit card said:

Looking forward to this one booked to go to the Irish Derby at the Curragh on the Saturday a day trip to Galway on the Sunday and to see the Jambos on the Monday. #guinnesstastic

Sounds a good itinerary there but I’d make sure you won’t be overdressed in your maroon finery at the derby. Top hat and tails with a Hearts top underneath ?...you might just pull it off! 

Rabbie_Burns
On ‎05‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 13:55, dbusby6 said:

This certainly reflects my experiences of being in Dublin to see Hearts previously or just being there for weekend trips in general

Both myself and Missus RB will be in attendance at Tolka Park for the game v Shelbourne :icon14:

Edited by Rabbie_Burns

portobellojambo1
On 04/06/2019 at 22:33, AW1 said:

My cousin lives in Banbridge nearby and said Lurgan is a total hole. However she did say that she's never had any problems there and she's got an Essex accent as well. Luckily I'm going with the Mrs and not a jolly boys outing as that could attract attention. I'm sure all those like myself travelling from Belfast on the Train will be fine. They better have extra taxis on that day because I can see them having a busy day as nobody will want to be lingering around the Train station side of town for too long. 

On 05/06/2019 at 13:12, Lfhearts said:

Pj gets info from a couple of anons and makes Lurgan out to be the Bronx, it's a dump and we are talking about a pre season friendly.

I apologise for passing on some information I got via a Glenavon Supporters Club. As I said I've never been in Lurgan, so wouldn't know if it is a hole, the equivalent of the Bronx or not. Have been in the Bronx, but it was just a hotel for overnight stay, before flying on to Washington DC very early the next morning. I asked a couple of questions of people who live there and watch their football there (i.e. Lurgan), got answers and put the information on here and the last part was probably the mistake I made. Never mind, you learn from mistakes in life. I hope all that make the trip have a good time.

credit card

On 21/06/2019 at 07:31, Saughton Jambo said:

Sounds a good itinerary there but I’d make sure you won’t be overdressed in your maroon finery at the derby. Top hat and tails with a Hearts top underneath ?...you might just pull it 

The winner was 33/1 and €30 down on the day? braw day though

credit card

Anyone going to the game in Dublin tomorrow you can't get tickets online or in the other shops they mention on the website. I tried Centra on Parnell St and they had none. You can get them at the ground no problem though. 

Plenty pubs around the ground but probably best having beers in town. Be prepared to put your wallet in the fridge afterwards as the cheapest Guinness I've had so far was €5:50 and that was at the races. €6 or €6.50 seems the going rate. Plenty places to eat but if you're on a budget just off Parnell Street there's a mini Chinatown. A fish supper will set you back a tenner but if you're after decent pub grub try Murrays Bar and Grill on Parnell Street it does a braw steak pie and has live music. There are tons of boozers to choose from you're never more than a minute away from one! 

Off to Galway for the day today. Their GAA team play in maroon so should feel at home there.

Just talked the wife into driving me down hopefully, finish work 5pm hr over the border , ground looks handy enough to get to just off the N1 motorway 

Carryoot?

The bar in Tolka will be open from 7pm and is cheaper than most places. Ticket office and turnstiles should be open at around 6:30/6:45.

132goals1958
On 05/06/2019 at 15:38, Forever Hearts said:

Yep -- There is probably more religious intolerance in the West of Scotland.

Shanghai Hearts
8 hours ago, shelsfan said:

The bar in Tolka will be open from 7pm and is cheaper than most places. Ticket office and turnstiles should be open at around 6:30/6:45.

Good stuff..heading over for a family visit and it coincides with tomorrow game..will head from city centre, pay at the gate suits me fine :)

Edited by Shanghai Hearts

1 hour ago, Armageddon said:

I hope we lose every pre-season game to send the Facebook Spankers into an early grave!

Saw odds that Shelbourne, on an unbeaten run, are paying 8/1. Rick and a few others on here will be on to that like a rat up a drainpipe.

letsalldothebeattie

A host of players won’t be making the trip this morning for different reasons. 

Peter Haring is to stay in Edinburgh to work on strength & conditioning

Michael Smith will miss because his wife is close to giving birth

Steven Naismith because he hasn’t signed a permanent deal despite now being a free agent 

Rory Currie, Callumn Morrison & Aidan Keena to remain in Edinburgh to work on fitness

Nice to see at bottom of the article Aaron Hickey will travel 

http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2019/06/30/peter-haring-misses-hearts-trip-to-ireland-as-austrian-midfielder-battles-back-to-fitness/amp/?__twitter_impression=true