Edinburgh and Midlothian Timothies

Beast Boy

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Massive difference. Tim Malloys were a street gang. The Celtic supporters attached the name to themselves. It is not an ignorant racial slur attached to slaves, and later their descendants, by rich plantation owners, and modern white supremacists.

More's the pity. :(

1 hour ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

A lot of Catholics find it offensive so I think it's a word best avoided.  Couldn't give a stuff what glory seeking Celtic fans think of it.

:pleasingao:

Edited by Governor Tarkin

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Governor Tarkin

• Forever Hearts

• Stephane Grappelli

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Governor Tarkin
28 minutes ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

I said Catholics, not Celtic fans.  Maybe in your mind they're one and the same but they're not.

They're not? :(

Mid Calder Jambo
14 hours ago, Dino Velvet said:

Actually, I love where I stay in West Lothian. It’s a small village but the surrounding areas are overrun with old firm fans. 

Thankfully no July marches in my community though. Silver linings. 

So you don't have a wee flute band in your Gala day parade then ?

William H. Bonney
Just now, Mid Calder Jambo said:

So you don't have a wee flute band in your Gala day parade then ?

Thankfully not. 

Brought up in Linlithgow,  west Lothian OF fans are more visible as they tend to have only one outfit which features a hun or tim top. Most often found in pubs watching the OF on TV.

Many years on I have moved back to West Lothian,  Winchburgh in this instance same goes here though there is a higher presence of the timmy variety here due to historic migration from the emerald isle.

Suspect Midlothian and east lothian no different as far as OF types goes.

Mid Calder Jambo
1 minute ago, Dino Velvet said:

Thankfully not. 

We had a quasi flute band appear for a couple of years.  The guy at the front with the big stick had to be told not to chuck it about as if he was passing the chapel.

Anyway, back on topic.  A bus leaves my pub with a load of currants every home game and i see a bus does a gypsy round up for that lot for each home game.

Forever Hearts
42 minutes ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

I said Catholics, not Celtic fans.  Maybe in your mind they're one and the same but they're not.

What part of "Tim is a term used to describe Celtic fans and has nothing to do with religion" are you struggling with? You're looking to be offended for the sake of being offended. I've been called a Hearts **** more times than I care to remember but I'm not in the least bit offended by it or any other term. It's only a word. 

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Forever Hearts said:

Well I've lived in the west of Scotland for all of my 48 years and went to school, grew up with and have many Catholic friends and not one of them has ever said they find the term Tim offensive. If anything the opposite is true, they wear it as a badge of honour. 

This reminds of many years ago when a song was heard at Tynecastle. I’d rather be a ****** than a ***.

fabienleclerq
13 hours ago, TheStig said:

Never understand the whole "my parents support them so i do" **** off can't you make your own mind up on what team to support. If i was to follow my dads team i be a Celtic fan. **** that, made my own choice and my dad was more than happy to take me along to hearts games when i was a kid.

"You can't choose your team or your mother". 

You're in the extreme minority with that opinion. 

Governor Tarkin
7 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

This reminds of many years ago when a song was heard at Tynecastle. I’d rather be a ****** than a ***.

This reminds me of many years ago when I lived in Australia and got my football fix by following the now defunct Northern Spirit who played on Friday evenings at North Sydney Oval.

It was around Christmas time 2001, shortly after 9/11, and the reduction of Afghanistan to rubble was well under way. We were playing Sydney United that evening, who originally drew a large portion of their players and support from the Croatian community.

The largely British ex-pat Northern Spirit following who based themselves behind the goals on the McCartney terracing (there was a pop-up bar at the back) were enjoying a hearty rendition of 'Oh we'd rather live in Kabul than Zagreb',  as the plucky Croatian chaps inflicted yet another heavy home defeat.

fabienleclerq
2 hours ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

I know a lot of Catholics, myself included, who do find it offensive.  The people who tend to call me it are Rangers fans or a tiny minority of fellow Jambos who can't understand how a "Tim" can support Hearts.

We're not going to agree though so you guys crack on.

No you don't, I don't know anyone apart from you that associates the word Tim with Catholics, only celtic. 

My family are Catholic. 

Bridge of Djoum
15 hours ago, Dino Velvet said:

Try living in West Lothian. 

Why would anyone do such a thing? It's about as depressing as Central Fife, or Lanarkshire. 

William H. Bonney
Just now, Bridge of Djoum said:

Why would anyone do such a thing? It's about as depressing as Central Fife, or Lanarkshire. 

Nah, it really isn’t. 

Bridge of Djoum
15 hours ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Anyone who chooses their football team/religion based on their football team/religion is an absolute detriment to society.

Add politics to that. Rangers/Unionist/Protestant. There really are no other options available to that risible filth. If you're one you're also the other 2.

Scum

Sub-human scum.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I knew a someone who would go to European matches at Parkhead. He claimed to be a hibby but when questioned he said it was to support a Scottish team, Scottish?

There were two brothers I also knew, one supported hibs which was bad enough but the other supported the old rangers. How did that happen. 

Nookie Bear
27 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Yea, because Brooklyn looks idyllic :tongue:

image.png.36bfd84cbf07eda77111481b28e8116b.png

Bridge of Djoum
1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

Yea, because Brooklyn looks idyllic :tongue:

image.png.36bfd84cbf07eda77111481b28e8116b.png

Ken, mate. Shite...

Image result for brooklyn bridge park

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Ken, mate. Shite...

Image result for brooklyn bridge park

I'd rather live in Kabul tbh.

Bridge of Djoum
1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I'd rather live in Kabul tbh.

I spent 2 weeks in Darwin, NT, once. I 'WOULD rather have been in Kabul.

Penicuik’s as big a Hearts town as you’re likely to find!!!

Of course there’s Green and Grey hoops on display, same as everywhere but wait till Sunday and the town will show its true colours :D ??

15 minutes ago, Whatever said:

Penicuik’s as big a Hearts town as you’re likely to find!!!

Of course there’s Green and Grey hoops on display, same as everywhere but wait till Sunday and the town will show its true colours :D ??

Restoring my faith and giving me a bit of hope. Thank you.

Edited by Glib and Shameless Crier

11 hours ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Honest question here. What sort of marches do they do? I obviously know about Orange Marches, but didn’t realise they even had an equivalent... were they maybe just all out on the chore?

They walked behind an Ulster flag which had Ulster Hearts written on it singing songs! There was no bowler hats or flutes.....just a stroll along the strip! The locals weren’t that impressed....I probably don’t need to go into detail about the choice of songs but suffice to say it wasn’t the likes of the European song, more akin to saying Hello Hello to everyone!

Bobby the B
16 hours ago, Inch Hearts said:

There’s loads of people with Irish roots in Edinburgh and that’s the excuse for supporting Celtic from the majority of people.  

But they REALLY don't like being called "Plastic Paddys", even if they've never been to Ireland.

Governor Tarkin
23 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

I spent 2 weeks in Darwin, NT, once. I 'WOULD rather have been in Kabul.

That's not a climate I'm designed for either. :(

Just been thinking about the debate over the word 'Timothy', a wee bit more... It's actually quite ludicrous and a little funny. Basically, if I had meant to use the word in relation to Catholic people, then this thread would be me complaining about the amount of Catholics who live in the same town as me. Seriously, I wouldn't just be a bigot, I'd be like a born again Alf Garnett or Oswald Mosley type figure. :rofl:

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

They walked behind an Ulster flag which had Ulster Hearts written on it singing songs! There was no bowler hats or flutes.....just a stroll along the strip! The locals weren’t that impressed....I probably don’t need to go into detail about the choice of songs but suffice to say it wasn’t the likes of the European song, more akin to saying Hello Hello to everyone!

That was a great night. Kiddy on bigotry aside.

3 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Ah, sorry. I misunderstood. I thought you meant the locals had a march.

Governor Tarkin
Just now, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

I wouldn't just be a bigot, I'd be like a born again Alf Garnett or Oswald Mosley type figure. :rofl:

Sometimes folk just can't see the wood for the trees, mate.

Bridge of Djoum
2 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I like the climate. It was the locals that were the issue. Backward isn't the word. 

?

gingey.jpg

7 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

That was a great night. Kiddy on bigotry aside.

No sure how much was kiddy on tbh (from both sides)

A particular highlight was when they sat down in the restaurant/bar next to us and all ordered a chicken supper....the waitress wasn’t quite switched on to it...unlike to owner who launched them out!

Edited by Rudy T

5 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Ah, sorry. I misunderstood. I thought you meant the locals had a march.

They probably do....st Patrick’s day I don’t doubt!

Governor Tarkin
Just now, Bridge of Djoum said:

I like the climate. It was the locals that were the issue. Backward isn't the word. 

I couldn't be doing with that climate all year, but I know what you mean about the locals.

I landed there under the impression that my plane must've been travelling much faster than the speed of light as I'd apparently arrived back in the 1970's.

Governor Tarkin

?

gingey.jpg

That's racist, mate. :(

Stephane Grappelli
1 hour ago, Forever Hearts said:

What part of "Tim is a term used to describe Celtic fans and has nothing to do with religion" are you struggling with? You're looking to be offended for the sake of being offended. I've been called a Hearts **** more times than I care to remember but I'm not in the least bit offended by it or any other term. It's only a word. 

I was just pointing out that I said Catholics, not Celtic fans.  What part of that do you not understand? They are not the same thing.

1 hour ago, fabienleclerq said:

No you don't, I don't know anyone apart from you that associates the word Tim with Catholics, only celtic. 

My family are Catholic. 

Their experience is different from mine so I'm happy for them.  Maybe me, my family and my friends who are Catholics just imagined all the times it's been used offensively and in an insulting way.  The other posters on here who agree with me must be wrong too.

People are free to keep using the word but if they do, others are free to think that:

A)  They're a moron.

2-  They're a bigot.

Or

d.  They're both of the above.

Effervesance

Late 80's my year at school was mainly Hubs then us but even 30 years ago you had 5 or 6 of either arse cheek in every year.

The only way to prevent their numbers growing is for Hearts to be more successful, Hubs to a lesser extent and hopefully Edinburgh City can reach at least Championship level.

Hibs won the cup 3 years ago but still live off the bounce they got from that win and their attendances have doubled.

Clearly ours can't get that boost but a win on Saturday gets the feel good factor back and supporters come will return in numbers.

All the pathetic OF fans residing in Edinburgh who never see their team live is embarrassing. They shouldn't be allowed to class themselves as a supporter. Very similar to all the plastic EPL fans worldwide.

Geoff the Mince
1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

This reminds me of many years ago when I lived in Australia and got my football fix by following the now defunct Northern Spirit who played on Friday evenings at North Sydney Oval.

It was around Christmas time 2001, shortly after 9/11, and the reduction of Afghanistan to rubble was well under way. We were playing Sydney United that evening, who originally drew a large portion of their players and support from the Croatian community.

The largely British ex-pat Northern Spirit following who based themselves behind the goals on the McCartney terracing (there was a pop-up bar at the back) were enjoying a hearty rendition of 'Oh we'd rather live in Kabul than Zagreb',  as the plucky Croatian chaps inflicted yet another heavy home defeat.

Ooh we still hate the Croats ! 

Bridge of Djoum

I couldn't be doing with that climate all year, but I know what you mean about the locals.

I landed there under the impression that my plane must've been travelling much faster than the speed of light as I'd apparently arrived back in the 1970's.

Indeed.

A mob of us went out one night in Toga dress, (Toga/dressed as women). The Darwinians, (now there's a ****** misnomer) didn't take this too well and an almighty brawl broke out in a bar by the bus station. The ship was kept in port 3 extra days as a result, many charges were filed and we had one guy flown home for facial surgery. Just because big hairy men were dressed as women.

I've never liked Australians since then. 

5 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

That's racist, mate. :(

No it's not. I think they are just wearing green and white tee-shirts. Don't think they are Tims.

5 minutes ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

I was just pointing out that I said Catholics, not Celtic fans.  What part of that do you not understand? They are not the same thing.

Their experience is different from mine so I'm happy for them.  Maybe me, my family and my friends who are Catholics just imagined all the times it's been used offensively and in an insulting way.  The other posters on here who agree with me must be wrong too.

People are free to keep using the word but if they do, others are free to think that:

A)  They're a moron.

2-  They're a bigot.

Or

Or:

E/c/B) They understand that Tim is not a term for Catholics, and that anyone who uses it as such is clearly a bit stupid.

Governor Tarkin
4 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

No sure how much was kiddy on tbh (from both sides)

One of the group who travelled over with us is actually a catholic Celtic fan who tagged along for the carry on.

He had a bit of a sash-a-oke with us and then joined in with some of the provo nonsense in some IRA money-laundering operation bar.

I think for most it was all a bit of theatre.

Governor Tarkin
6 minutes ago, Geoff the Mince said:

Ooh we still hate the Croats ! 

Simpler times, mate.

5 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Indeed.

A mob of us went out one night in Toga dress, (Toga/dressed as women). The Darwinians, (now there's a ****** misnomer) didn't take this too well and an almighty brawl broke out in a bar by the bus station. The ship was kept in port 3 extra days as a result, many charges were filed and we had one guy flown home for facial surgery. Just because big hairy men were dressed as women.

I've never liked Australians since then. 

That's a pretty accurate description of @Geoff the Mince tbf.

Forever Hearts
10 minutes ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

A)  They're a moron.

2-  They're a bigot.

Or

I think you like getting all offended. 

Governor Tarkin

No it's not. I think they are just wearing green and white tee-shirts. Don't think they are Tims.

I'm not getting into an imply/infer argument with you, you racist monster.  :seething:

One of the group who travelled over with us is actually a catholic Celtic fan who tagged along for the carry on.

He had a bit of a sash-a-oke with us and then joined in with some of the provo nonsense in some IRA money-laundering operation bar.

I think for most it was all a bit of theatre.

Obviously you know better than me we were just casual observers trying to get over a banging hangover before starting over! Still the best trip I’ve been on and I’ve been to plenty. Not much chance of getting a team like that again sadly.

The Gorgie
1 hour ago, fabienleclerq said:

"You can't choose your team or your mother". 

You're in the extreme minority with that opinion. 

You can, you really can. The team part anyway.

Jamboelite
16 hours ago, Forever Hearts said:

Not being from Edinburgh what would the percentage be of Old Firm fans in an average Edinburgh school?

Not much to be honest most are Hibs with some Hearts in my kids school.