Unusual Cup Final Routines

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I remember the book from 1998 and the different stories of how people not only spent their day or what they did to get to the game.

Thought I'd start a wee thread, what folk plan to do this week, anything a little bit different?

Paulo Sergio arrived yesterday and went down the boozer apparently :)

Nothing out of the ordinary for me, take in the preview 7pm on Friday night, stick my Hearts jammies on (not kidding) and dream sweet dreams. Up around 730 take the wee one to her gymnastics and meet my chariot for the 150 mile trek.

Nothing too exciting, but probably a good thing, counting hours now :)

Lord Beni of Gorgie
8 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

I pray.

And as an avowed atheist, that is a bit weird.

Someones being listening though :)

letsalldothebeattie

I’m hoping this year is different to 2012. I could hardly sleep, I think because of what worse case scenario was. 

I will do what I done in 2012 which is get a pre match haircut on the Friday to look sharp for the big day. PlayStation to relax, few drinks and goal highlights against our opponents. 

Up early on Saturday to get ready get my old man to take me into Gala for the Supporters bus & pre match pub for drinks. Hoping we get the same outcome (maybe not score) 

Absolute Scenes

I'm staying in a hotel on the night of the final

So i'll arrive, go for a swim, 3 course lunch, maybe a wee nip at the bar then head off to the stadium

Win or lose i'll be back to the hotel, swim eat, sleep

Bought a Hearts Road to the final scarf outside Hampden after forgetting my traditional maroon and white striped one. I'll be doing the same this year.

From 1998 onwards I stopped booking the Monday off work to travel home, so I could stay for the parade.  It seems to have worked for us since.  Luckily it's a Bank Holiday in England on Monday so I don't have to book it.  Decided to drive to give me the option of staying when we win. 

Going to catch a plane late on the 20th May 2012 was no fun at all.

BACK TO THE FUTURE

Know for a fact i wont sleep Friday night,our bus leaves a 9-30 likely be 

up hours before that.

Calebs Grandad

Same as every final. As a family we paint our faces with Union Jacks, sit in a circle in the garden playing our drums, throw various industrial size pyrotechnics into the hospice garden next door then sacrifice a goat at the home made King Billy altar before daubing 5-1 on all the front doors in our street with the aforementioned animals warm blood. 

I put my scarf above my headboard for a week before the 98 final (I was 9).

I dug it out last night and did the same, with the same scarf.

Fingers crossed it works again

Jambof3tornado
9 minutes ago, Calebs Grandad said:

Same as every final. As a family we paint our faces with Union Jacks, sit in a circle in the garden playing our drums, throw various industrial size pyrotechnics into the hospice garden next door then sacrifice a goat at the home made King Billy altar before daubing 5-1 on all the front doors in our street with the aforementioned animals warm blood. 

A king billy goat???

Its a weird tradition that has somehow managed to happen for every cup final including this one. I have never bought a cup final ticket but haven’t missed one. 98 I was on the Livi hearts bus that had its tickets suspended I think due to someone lobbing a vodka bottle at the linesman on the last game of the season vs rangers, I think. I was 12 so don’t remember the full story but know something happened to our tickets so we ended up getting our tickets sorted by pie man on the day of cup final after my dad managed to meet him and explain to him what had happened at tynie. 06 I was banned from football stadia due to the silly football laws whilst I awaited my trial. Got a ticket through a friend. Also got not guilty. 2012 I got my ticket via Darren Barr and 2019 I’ve got my ticket via Austin MacPhee. I’ve never bought a ticket for a final and never lost a final. 

Bazzas right boot

Getting beat 5-1 in the final was my favourite by a team. 

Nookie Bear
45 minutes ago, Calebs Grandad said:

:77_77:

Bull's-eye

Just rearranging my schedule for this afternoon to visit the Barbers where I had my haircut in 2012. I never returned to that Barbers again........until this afternoon.

39 minutes ago, Artful Dodger said:

Just rearranging my schedule for this afternoon to visit the Barbers where I had my haircut in 2012. I never returned to that Barbers again........until this afternoon.

? 7 years of growth .......your hair must be so long ..... about time it was cut .... 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 hours ago, Calebs Grandad said:

I asked for unusual

:muggy:

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

Only game i wear my scarf to these days, if that counts as routine.

Yeah. I have my cup final scarf. Only been worn twice since 1998, getting another run out on Saturday

Nookie Bear
26 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Yeah. I have my cup final scarf. Only been worn twice since 1998, getting another run out on Saturday

Bought it in the mid-80s and is the only Hearts scarf i have ever owned.

Never washed ?

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Bought it in the mid-80s and is the only Hearts scarf i have ever owned.

Never washed ?

Nor mine, but bought in the 90s. Had a quick snifter, seems fine. Stench from the East end of Hampden, nobody is going to notice anyway, eh?

Jambofifer

The night before Make sure everything is laid out including tkt , go to bed in the scud ! 

Morning routine,wake up put the right baw in the pants first .... has to be the right one ! Full English and a cple beers to wash it down.. 

come on the gorgie.

1 minute ago, Jambofifer said:

The night before Make sure everything is laid out including tkt , go to bed in the scud ! 

Morning routine,wake up put the right baw in the pants first .... has to be the right one ! Full English and a cple beers to wash it down.. 

come on the gorgie.

Full Scottish surely !

Can’t be a breakfast without tattie scones !

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Boab said:

Full Scottish surely !

Tight call if I can make it to Dobbies for an 11 piecer. 20 mins to hoover it? Why not, hash browns though

35 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Tight call if I can make it to Dobbies for an 11 piecer. 20 mins to hoover it? Why not, hash browns though

Would that not be a full American ?

TorinoJambo

Not superstitious but I will be wearing the navy T Shirt with The old Hearts badge on the Middle of the chest which I got for the 98 final. Only worn it twice more (2006 2012). It will be on ( nae jaikit) rain sun or shine. Plus, I told all and sundry in January that we would stop the treble treble, just a hunch but nearly there.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
4 hours ago, Boab said:

Would that not be a full American ?

Not with a healthy dollop of Haggis 

:)

Jambofifer
8 hours ago, Boab said:

Full Scottish surely !

No a fan o the tattie scones mate, as long as everything is done on my right side 1st,we’ll be ok (wee superstition ) especially when I played .... right sock on first , right shoe , step out house right footed etc ! 

The Hibby throws caution to the wind when Hearts reach a cup final and washes. 

Whether he/she needs it, or not. 

11 hours ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Getting beat 5-1 in the final was my favourite by a team. 

It was pretty shite in 1996. 

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, Peebo said:

It was pretty shite in 1996. 

That it was.