Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
cheetah

Lunchtime Pint

Recommended Posts

cheetah

Can't beat a pint at lunchtime and getting paid for it too. 

 

Only usually do it on a Friday or Monday but love it. ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Governor Tarkin

I can't stop at one, buddy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Sifter

I started in Standard Life in 1994, and it was the done thing for the entire department to hit Dan MacKays (now AuBar in Shandwick all) on Friday lunchtimes. I’m talkin from department manager to cleaners, and everyone in between. Used to sit there for two hours gettin as much drink down us as possible, then we’d all get back to the office to piss about for a couple of hours until hometime. I was only 18, but remember watching my department manager sitting pissed one Friday making paper aeroplanes, and thinking to myself that working there was always gonnae be brilliant. 

 

I was wrong ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chester copperpot

Used to work for the council when council tax first replaced Poll Tax during my first year at Uni over the summer.

 

On a Friday, the dept manager took us all down to the Chesser and we would try shovel as many pints down our necks as possible during the hour.

 

Friday afternoons were always a riot answering phones to pissed off residents who had gotten the council tax bandings wrong! We would all be sitting there half cut slurring our words! Not a care in the world.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
davemclaren
23 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I can't stop at one, buddy.

Always a challenge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
davemclaren
24 minutes ago, Mr Sifter said:

I started in Standard Life in 1994, and it was the done thing for the entire department to hit Dan MacKays (now AuBar in Shandwick all) on Friday lunchtimes. I’m talkin from department manager to cleaners, and everyone in between. Used to sit there for two hours gettin as much drink down us as possible, then we’d all get back to the office to piss about for a couple of hours until hometime. I was only 18, but remember watching my department manager sitting pissed one Friday making paper aeroplanes, and thinking to myself that working there was always gonnae be brilliant. 

 

I was wrong ?

Yip, insurance companies discovered professionalism in the late 90s and the world changed forever. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Salad Fingers
30 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I can't stop at one, buddy.

 

I agree with this.  I can't have one pint, so best to avoid it altogether. 

 

Did it years ago when I worked in Social Work.  Friday afternoons were a write-off, just clock watching until 4pm when we could leave and go to top it up. 

 

Couldn't handle it these days though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tommy Brown

As an apprentice at Ferranti 1980, we headed down to the Westfield (Murrayfield Sports Bar) a few times for the go-go's.

i'm sure it was Alloa ales, bloody rancid pint of skol.

laters years, the dookit. then at Gyle up to the dodger or sighthill hotel.

 

couldn't handle doing it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SpruceBringsteen
24 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

Used to work for the council when council tax first replaced Poll Tax during my first year at Uni over the summer.

 

On a Friday, the dept manager took us all down to the Chesser and we would try shovel as many pints down our necks as possible during the hour.

 

Friday afternoons were always a riot answering phones to pissed off residents who had gotten the council tax bandings wrong! We would all be sitting there half cut slurring our words! Not a care in the world.

 

 

 

Worked in the Council tax dept at Chesser about 7/8 years ago. My two hour Friday lunchtime trip to the Chesser then hour and a half piss about in the office before going back to the pub absolutely made the job tbh. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Boris

An ex-St Andrew Square life/pensions worker flex time was genius.

 

Clock off 11:45, back in 14:15, then 1hr 45 mins of purgatory until the 16:00 clock off.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ri Alban
Posted (edited)

When I was an apprentice in the cooncil, it was the puddleometer that decided when we went the pub 

An apprentice Fecking Alky.

Edited by ri Alban

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Real Maroonblood

People wonder why the UK is f****d.

See above posts.:laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cheetah
1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I can't stop at one, buddy.

 

 

Didn't, had 3 (lagunitas 6.2%) then back to work, sitting watching the clock, 15 min and then back to boozer.

 

******* love Fridays :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gershwin

I used to work in a partnership with a 50-year-old art director when I was freelancing in London. He used to have 4/5 pints every lunch time and was a nightmare to work with in the afternoon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cheetah

Right time to get back on it.

 

Monday lunchtime pint will be required :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
graygo
1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

As an apprentice at Ferranti 1980, we headed down to the Westfield (Murrayfield Sports Bar) a few times for the go-go's.

i'm sure it was Alloa ales, bloody rancid pint of skol.

laters years, the dookit. then at Gyle up to the dodger or sighthill hotel.

 

couldn't handle doing it now.

 

I was there in 1981 and nobody told me there were go-go's in the Westfield, feel cheated.  :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Helzibob

Love a lunchtime drink, only problem is I feel like I need a nap when I get back to work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rudi must stay
3 hours ago, cheetah said:

Can't beat a pint at lunchtime and getting paid for it too. 

 

Only usually do it on a Friday or Monday but love it. ? 

 

Drinking at work has its pros. Increased confidence, always good in the workplace, yes I can see that man growing as an employee.  But also that feeling of what happens if you make a mistake, 'the I had a drink excuse' probably doesn't really wash for the bosses

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sooperstar

Was based in Robbie Ave when I first started with the bank. Crowd of us would go to Mr Q's most days to play pool and have a pint. Fridays we usually had a couple of shots too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ferris Bueller

Worked as a butcher in a supermarket in the early 90s used to head for a few (3) pints at lunch then go back to work slicing / boning out & using the cleaver accurately was challenging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jonnothejambo

Back in the 80s I worked in St Andrew Square and Leeries was a frequent haunt of ours. 

 

Not just on a Friday either.....

 

Messy times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gavsy Van Gaverson
Posted (edited)

I worked in Melville Street late 90s. William Street boozers most Friday lunch times were the norm. Then round to Henry J Beans at finishing time. 

Edited by Gavsy Van Gaverson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Frenchman Returns
4 hours ago, graygo said:

 

I was there in 1981 and nobody told me there were go-go's in the Westfield, feel cheated.  :( 

Mechanical or Electronic apprentice?

 

You may not have been at the Westfield in 1981 but were you there in 1985 for our end of apprenticeship stag night?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jambo_Gaz

£1 a drink 'office parties' at Subway, Establishment and Cav. 

 

Home by 8. ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Benzinho
Posted (edited)

Used to work just round the corner from the Playhouse on Blenheim Place so always used to be Friday lunchtimes (and plenty other days too) in the Theatre Royal. A mate I worked with had a flat nearby so a lunchtime joint was a fairly regular occurrence too! ?

Edited by Benzinho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1971fozzy

Used to work in George street in the late 80’s early 90’s and every lunchtime was a few pints in rose street. A given and although I was only 18ish it was mental. Could smoke as well in the office.

how times have changed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheStig
Posted (edited)

Pints for lunch sounds great, sometimes its crap being a bus driver we can't have that privilege. Infact its not sometimes crap, its always crap.

Edited by TheStig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EH11
2 minutes ago, TheStig said:

Pints for lunch sounds great, sometimes its crap being a bus driver we can't have that privilege. Infact its not sometimes crap, its always crap.

 

Bleedin' jobsworth!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IronJambo

Used to do it on payday when I was 18 and worked in an office. Pretty much the whole office went and I would often fall asleep when we got back.

 

The lack of alcohol policy (or enforcement of it) in offices, even to this day astounds me. If somebody worked for me they'd best not come back if they decided to have a beer at lunch time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bobsharp
14 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Used to do it on payday when I was 18 and worked in an office. Pretty much the whole office went and I would often fall asleep when we got back.

 

The lack of alcohol policy (or enforcement of it) in offices, even to this day astounds me. If somebody worked for me they'd best not come back if they decided to have a beer at lunch time.

 

Its a bit strange that there is as you say no policy regarding alcohol, but I don't think it is unusual. Here now that marijuana has been legalised, lots of companies are reviewing policies, relative to the use of marijuana during working hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tazio

When I worked in the buses at Shrubhill the Shrub bar was the regular lunchtime trip. 45 minute lunch and there were plenty guys who did 5 pints. Very few buses were repaired on Friday afternoons. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IronJambo
5 minutes ago, Tazio said:

When I worked in the buses at Shrubhill the Shrub bar was the regular lunchtime trip. 45 minute lunch and there were plenty guys who did 5 pints. Very few buses were repaired on Friday afternoons. 

I'm told by the older guys at work that in the British Rail days that the local pub was the unofficial mess room. Spare train drivers and guards were holding the bar up. It was common for pissed up guys to be driving trains. 

You can be sacked for even eating in licensed premises these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pans Jambo

Fond memories. 

I worked at Laidlaw Leasing at Portobello in the late 80’s. 

Most Fridays half the office would decant to the Forresters in Porty high Street for a game or 2 of pool and 4 pints. Friday afternoons were a blur...& then I drove home to the Pans at 5 ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Victorian
7 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

As an apprentice at Ferranti 1980, we headed down to the Westfield (Murrayfield Sports Bar) a few times for the go-go's.

i'm sure it was Alloa ales, bloody rancid pint of skol.

laters years, the dookit. then at Gyle up to the dodger or sighthill hotel.

 

couldn't handle doing it now.

 

I was an apprentice at Ferranti in the 80s.   The gaffer and I used to spend too much time in The Mill.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Victorian
7 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

As an apprentice at Ferranti 1980, we headed down to the Westfield (Murrayfield Sports Bar) a few times for the go-go's.

i'm sure it was Alloa ales, bloody rancid pint of skol.

laters years, the dookit. then at Gyle up to the dodger or sighthill hotel.

 

couldn't handle doing it now.

 

Yep.   Doocot or McKenzies when at Silverknowes.    Sighthill Hotel when at the Gyle.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Salad Fingers
1 hour ago, Benzinho said:

Used to work just round the corner from the Playhouse on Blenheim Place so always used to be Friday lunchtimes (and plenty other days too) in the Theatre Royal. A mate I worked with had a flat nearby so a lunchtime joint was a fairly regular occurrence too! ?

 

When I worked in IBM in Greenock in the late 90s, a lunchtime bucket was an every day occurrence at a workmates house. 

 

:cornette:

 

Absolutely smashed. Luckily packing boxes wasn't challenging work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Victorian

When on day release from Ferranti at Telford College... skive the afternoon,    up town to wonderful places like the Cotters Howf.      

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheStig
1 hour ago, EH11 said:

 

Bleedin' jobsworth!

I do apologize 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
graygo
2 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Mechanical or Electronic apprentice?

 

You may not have been at the Westfield in 1981 but were you there in 1985 for our end of apprenticeship stag night?

 

Mechanical Technician mate and no I wasn't there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Frenchman Returns
53 minutes ago, graygo said:

 

Mechanical Technician mate and no I wasn't there.

small world, so was I !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
graygo
2 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

small world, so was I !

 

It is, mind you they took on hundreds of us every year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Frenchman Returns
1 minute ago, graygo said:

 

It is, mind you they took on hundreds of us every year.

Yes but only about 50 mechanical and not all technician apprentices

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
graygo
2 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Yes but only about 50 mechanical and not all technician apprentices

 

True, only the elite got those positions.  :verysmug:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sooperstar
3 hours ago, Jambo_Gaz said:

£1 a drink 'office parties' at Subway, Establishment and Cav. 

 

Home by 8. ?

E-tab! What a night. Flash your work ID to get in. Closed on the night of the Gretna final.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BarneyBattles
10 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

I started in Standard Life in 1994, and it was the done thing for the entire department to hit Dan MacKays (now AuBar in Shandwick all) on Friday lunchtimes. I’m talkin from department manager to cleaners, and everyone in between. Used to sit there for two hours gettin as much drink down us as possible, then we’d all get back to the office to piss about for a couple of hours until hometime. I was only 18, but remember watching my department manager sitting pissed one Friday making paper aeroplanes, and thinking to myself that working there was always gonnae be brilliant. 

 

I was wrong ?

 

Loved that place on a Friday. My lunchtime record was 6 pints and two tequilas. Back for an hour and a half or so then back to the boozer after nipping up to the bogs on one of the empty floors of canning house to skin a doofer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tommy Brown
13 hours ago, graygo said:

 

I was there in 1981 and nobody told me there were go-go's in the Westfield, feel cheated.  :( 

it was only a couple of times.

Quite a sight of about 40 16-17 year olds crowded round them on the pub floor:lol:

Mechanical technician also:thumbsup:

 

Went eventually to Napier for last last year's of day release. Too many were British Leyland apprentices. We hit the pub too regular and failed to return. Gave up the course half through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Riddley Walker

3 pints, 2 joints was the sometimes daily ritual at a call centre I used to work at when I was younger. And you wonder why it's a nightmare calling these places :lol:

 

No chance of lunchtime pints in my current job. Maybe need a new one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Herbert
10 hours ago, TheStig said:

Pints for lunch sounds great, sometimes its crap being a bus driver we can't have that privilege. Infact its not sometimes crap, its always crap.

 

Just do it anyway. Alcohol would numb the pain of the shit we've to deal with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cheetah
12 hours ago, IronJambo said:

Used to do it on payday when I was 18 and worked in an office. Pretty much the whole office went and I would often fall asleep when we got back.

 

The lack of alcohol policy (or enforcement of it) in offices, even to this day astounds me. If somebody worked for me they'd best not come back if they decided to have a beer at lunch time.

 

Lighten up man, its British culture :lol: 

Would you ride your scooter after a beer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheStig
2 hours ago, Herbert said:

 

Just do it anyway. Alcohol would numb the pain of the shit we've to deal with.

I'll be home for 7 tonight, off tomorrow and the first pint of best won't even have settled  and it will be gone ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...